Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 17]

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 17]

Author
Discussion

stickleback123

6,817 posts

147 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
The later T6 S80 has great rarity value too, and claims far better efficiency for similar power:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-Volvo-S80-T6-SE-LU...



That one is missing some of the nice options like radar cruise. I drove a late one with the updated and not so nice interior about 4 years ago, with a Polestar map taking it up to 320bhp or so, and it was quick in a straight line but dynamically very wooly and the big wheels ruined the ride. A good sleeper maybe, but very hard to see any sensible reason to buy one over a 535i, V8 XF or similar.

BlueMR2

8,151 posts

160 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
BrabusMog said:
Just catching up on the last pages of the previous volume... Mercedes really do make the best looking wheels.



I really fancy that CLS, it's out of budget at the moment, £4.3k but i'm keeping a watch on it.

Previously it didn't give the chassis number on the free check site, however it did this time, so this is the paint code and wheel code when it was new. I like the wheels although alot of surface to clean, lol.

DESIGNO-MYSTIC CLUE PAINTWORK (032U)

796 AMG MULTI-SPOKE WHEELS 18" WITH MIXED TIRES

BrabusMog

16,633 posts

144 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
BlueMR2 said:
I really fancy that CLS, it's out of budget at the moment, £4.3k but i'm keeping a watch on it.

Previously it didn't give the chassis number on the free check site, however it did this time, so this is the paint code and wheel code when it was new. I like the wheels although alot of surface to clean, lol.

DESIGNO-MYSTIC CLUE PAINTWORK (032U)

796 AMG MULTI-SPOKE WHEELS 18" WITH MIXED TIRES
Wonder Wheels and a brush and you're fine thumbup

stickleback123

6,817 posts

147 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
Mercedes do have some nice wheels, but I think Jaguar might be in the running too - they seem to have a massive range of wheel options on every model and most look great.

Those multi spokes on the CLS are very nice, there was a 19" (I think) option like that available for the W221 and I'd love to pick up a set - the overpriced "Andrew Lloyd Webber" S600 on Autotrader is wearing a set.

W00DY

12,523 posts

184 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
BrabusMog said:
Just catching up on the last pages of the previous volume... Mercedes really do make the best looking wheels.



Those are two wheel designs I'm not keen on at all.

CharlesdeGaulle

14,110 posts

138 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
W00DY said:
What an epic buy that would be.

All you grizzly moaners grumbling about the new S Class at the end of the old thread need to put your money where your mouth is and buy this. smile

TurboHatchback

3,812 posts

111 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
SpeckledJim said:
W00DY said:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/2003-bmw-745i-4.4-v8...


This literally can't not go wrong, but at less than a bag you can't lose.
Hmm, you could buy it and put it straight in the bin where it belongs, and limit the damage to £1k.

Or you could run and fix it for several weeks, until you're living in it, and your best friend is a cat called Bert, who the friendly policeman pretends that he can also see.

Or, wildcard option, don't buy it at all.

With a years MOT that seems like a decent buy. I wouldn't pour any money into it but just to drive around as it is for a year then scrap it could work, luxo-shedding.

Krikkit

19,463 posts

139 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
21st Century Man said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
21st Century Man said:
Mornin' all, checking in.
Is it new years day?
18th January according to this morning's announcement. I can't get into the calendar fields. This was very helpfully posted for me, but my screen didn't display the final calendar input.

https://youtu.be/-m0r_GZHgFQ
This is going to sound ridiculous, but it irrationally annoys me when any GPS-equipped device doesn't auto-synch its time with the GPS sats. There should be a simply accessible menu to set your regional zone, and that's it.

I also reserve the same hate for any web-connected device, but that's a different ballgame.

trooperiziz

9,435 posts

210 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
TurboHatchback said:
With a years MOT that seems like a decent buy. I wouldn't pour any money into it but just to drive around as it is for a year then scrap it could work, luxo-shedding.
A year is very optimistic biggrin

Advert seems to have gone though.

Hammerhead

2,496 posts

212 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
W00DY said:
Lovely!

21st Century Man

33,728 posts

206 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
Krikkit said:
21st Century Man said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
21st Century Man said:
Mornin' all, checking in.
Is it new years day?
18th January according to this morning's announcement. I can't get into the calendar fields. This was very helpfully posted for me, but my screen didn't display the final calendar input.

https://youtu.be/-m0r_GZHgFQ
This is going to sound ridiculous, but it irrationally annoys me when any GPS-equipped device doesn't auto-synch its time with the GPS sats. There should be a simply accessible menu to set your regional zone, and that's it.
Jay...Dee...Emm

It only works in Japan. Putting in a Euro disc or swopping the whole unit for a UK Toyota satnav doesn't work either.

My car has loads of features, that don't work outside of Japan. The satnav, Gbook, vics, voice recognition, phone pairing, etc.

laugh

BigBen

10,261 posts

188 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
Krikkit said:
This is going to sound ridiculous, but it irrationally annoys me when any GPS-equipped device doesn't auto-synch its time with the GPS sats. There should be a simply accessible menu to set your regional zone, and that's it.

I also reserve the same hate for any web-connected device, but that's a different ballgame.
With GPS it knows your regional zone so even that would be superfluous.


TyrannosauRoss Lex

25,715 posts

170 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
TurboHatchback said:
SpeckledJim said:
W00DY said:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/2003-bmw-745i-4.4-v8...


This literally can't not go wrong, but at less than a bag you can't lose.
Hmm, you could buy it and put it straight in the bin where it belongs, and limit the damage to £1k.

Or you could run and fix it for several weeks, until you're living in it, and your best friend is a cat called Bert, who the friendly policeman pretends that he can also see.

Or, wildcard option, don't buy it at all.

With a years MOT that seems like a decent buy. I wouldn't pour any money into it but just to drive around as it is for a year then scrap it could work, luxo-shedding.
I like your optimism that you could drive it around for a year without it needing some sort of repair bill. Often the problem with "drive it for a year and scrap it" is that it won't drive for a year without something breaking. If it breaks after 6 weeks and needs £750 spent.... What do you do?

W00DY

12,523 posts

184 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
I like your optimism that you could drive it around for a year without it needing some sort of repair bill. Often the problem with "drive it for a year and scrap it" is that it won't drive for a year without something breaking. If it breaks after 6 weeks and needs £750 spent.... What do you do?
eBay spares/repairs and buy something else.

jason61c

3,896 posts

132 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
Having looked around, I’ve stumbled on this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154058680651

It’s a one owner car. Having looked into the issues, what should be the main points to check? Regarding the wiring loom(engine bay), can you do anything about it or see if it’s affected? Also 5 speed, so 30mpg motorway?

Krikkit

19,463 posts

139 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
BigBen said:
Krikkit said:
This is going to sound ridiculous, but it irrationally annoys me when any GPS-equipped device doesn't auto-synch its time with the GPS sats. There should be a simply accessible menu to set your regional zone, and that's it.

I also reserve the same hate for any web-connected device, but that's a different ballgame.
With GPS it knows your regional zone so even that would be superfluous.
I thought that was a fairly recent addition to the standards, but I prepare to stand corrected. smile

Stegel

1,503 posts

132 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
BrabusMog said:
Just catching up on the last pages of the previous volume... Mercedes really do make the best looking wheels.

I agree on the wheels being good looking, but that car makes the point they’re designed for a LHD market - I presume they’re not “handed” so when the driver approaches the drivers door the wheel won’t look they’re spinning the wrong way.

Re the S124, it’s from the prime loom failure era; there should be a label just behind the firewall partition which will have the date of production. A quick check is the condition on the temperature sensor wiring, but if you can get into the coil pack gallery it will be a better indication - my same year 320 was a jumble of cables and connectors in there where poor quality running repairs had been made as the loom deteriorated.

tobinen

6,769 posts

103 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:
W00DY said:
What an epic buy that would be.

All you grizzly moaners grumbling about the new S Class at the end of the old thread need to put your money where your mouth is and buy this. smile
Exactly. A strong start from W00DY

Mr-B

2,624 posts

152 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
trooperiziz said:
A year is very optimistic biggrin

Advert seems to have gone though.
Original listing has gone but the next one listed underneath is the same car, no?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/2003-bmw-745i-4.4-v8...

jason61c

3,896 posts

132 months

Thursday 3rd September
quotequote all
Stegel said:
I agree on the wheels being good looking, but that car makes the point they’re designed for a LHD market - I presume they’re not “handed” so when the driver approaches the drivers door the wheel won’t look they’re spinning the wrong way.

Re the S124, it’s from the prime loom failure era; there should be a label just behind the firewall partition which will have the date of production. A quick check is the condition on the temperature sensor wiring, but if you can get into the coil pack gallery it will be a better indication - my same year 320 was a jumble of cables and connectors in there where poor quality running repairs had been made as the loom deteriorated.
Can you do preventive work on it?