Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 18]

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 18]

Author
Discussion

J_Wood3

7 posts

62 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Great work Grote! I’m not sure why I didn’t buy that one when I saw it. I guess I hadn’t decided at that point the house deposit was now fair game. I don’t know who said it but “You can’t drive a house, but you can sleep in a car” is relevant I think.

Absolute bargain price, mine needs 2 parktronic sensors, a level sensor for the lights and a duovalve on top of a full service. With new tyres I’ll be almost 5 grand in, but should be fully sorted. Although giving it a wash today put a crack right across the windscreen....

I agree about the 9-5 aero, mine was the 4 speed auto which meant it never really felt fast until past the torque limit into 3rd by which time you are past 70 which is a bit pointless. Plus wrong wheel drive and 24mpg....

Grote

6 posts

23 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
I had the auto too, agree on all of that! Somewhere around 24mpg for me too.

In fact it may be of interest to those considering V8s etc, I'm not finding the mpg on the E500 much different to:

Saab 9-5 Aero HoT
Landcruiser LC120 diesel
Discovery 2 TD5
E38 728i

The difference if any is negligible, and certainly with lower miles being covered not an issue. I find switching the readout to show the temperature rather than the mpg is a good move too.

LetsTryAgain

2,831 posts

38 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
I don't recall seeing this E500 posted on thread I must say.


I keep asking, so sorry if i have missed the response, but did the 3 letter 3 number plate find a home?

mattman

2,443 posts

187 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
LetsTryAgain said:
mattman said:
I've been tasked to sell my brother-in-laws 2011 E class estate as he "doesn't do all that social media stuff". I've listed on a couple of facebay sites and here, but any other recommendations. Its got high miles so isn't hugely priced and in thread budget, but would like to avoid the "whats your best price bruv" crowd as much as i can! smile
Just post details mate, we don't mind smile
And where it is, too.

That S Type above is a delight.
Thanks - i didn't want to fall foul of the admin by posting a link - stuck it on carandclassic and sold in under 24hrs to a dealer, Better not share it now as you'll tell me i've massively undersold it. frown

Macron

6,185 posts

131 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Derventio said:
A mixed weekend for the Superb semibarge
Did you buy that red CLK?

swapped

32 posts

155 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
And I'm yet another lurker emerging, if you don't mind.

I've long been a bargee by inclination, but a long daily commute forced me out of my wonderful Saab 9000 Aero:





into a succession of diesels, which were great for the mileage, but:





Audi A6 1.9 TDi - completely bland - the most utterly un-engaging vehicle I've owned by quite a margin. I managed to keep it for 11 months, during which time it never failed to alert me to non-existent issues with coolant temps and oil levels, before trading it against...





E39 530d SE - lovely black with biscuit nappa and staggered parallel wheels. I kept it too long and got embroiled in the world of pain where it found a new way of needing money to be spent every month until I sold it to a Romanian trucker and bought...



Saab 9-3 Vector Convertible TiD - an experiment in the sense or otherwise of running a GM Saab with a complex roof and silly rear seats for 18000 miles a year. It did astonishingly well, and I again kept it too long, so that last year as soon as my mileage dropped due to COVID home-working, it stung me for EGR valve, turbo, exhaust flexi and back box, thermostat, swirl flaps, timing belt, water pump and alternator, all in the span of 8 weeks. That meant I had to keep it another year to 'earn' that money back on it's good-behaviour balance sheet.

And I spent that year planning and scheming the car I would replace it with - a car with a multi-cylinder petrol engine (perhaps my last one before electric gets too economically tempting?) - a car with no dual-mass flywheel, or turbo, or stupid complex mass-produced-to-fail-sometime-down-the-line emissions and anti-smoke gear - a car that needn't give more than 30mpg, and could be a devil to insure if it liked, as I'm so old and trustworthy these days and living in rural Cheshire can insure just about anything for £200...

Got this last week:





I wouldn't have chosen silver, but I did want the 17" wheels, the CGi engine, the black interior (have kids), and this is two owner, full dealer and latterly specialist history, low (for me) miles and all the right jobs done - 4 recent michelin tyres, BIG service just done, gearbox services on schedule, front suspension rebuilt 5000 miles ago, conventional suspension.

I've loved the look since I first saw one - and that's something I can say about some of my favourite past cars - the 914, 9000CS, 9-5 Aero estate, E39 and now hopefully the CLS have all made me make a mental note of 'ooh yes - i could definitely live with one of those' on first sight, and then been good to live with further down the line, when I got my own example of each. Some cars just push the right buttons. The A6 I bought because it argued it's way into my life with logic, facts and figures that proved it was a very sensible choice. Hated it (have I mentioned that?)

Thanks for reading - sorry to go on a bit, but I think I've found my natural home in this thread.

TLDR: Man bought car.


Edited by swapped on Monday 19th April 19:08

Emeye

8,792 posts

188 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Derventio said:
A mixed weekend for the Superb semibarge, this weekend. It proved suitably adept at carting various white goods around whilst I helped Master Derventio move some stuff into his new flat.



However, I also discovered that the front tyres have worn down on the inner edge quite seriously, over a width of about 3/4" the cords aren't quite showing but it cannot be far off! I only noticed when the wheels were cranked right over on full lock. The rest of the tyre has at least 4-5mm of tread left, much to my annoyance. Note to self: check tyres more often. Thankfully, nowadays, 18" wheels are no longer thought of as overly large so I can get a pair of decent tyres for £55 each fitted. Then it will getting the tracking adjusted!

Sorting through some paperwork, I have also spotted that the DSG box will be due a service shortly. There is a local VAG specialist indy that does it for £189, all in, so that's not to bad. (And far cheaper than the alternative yikes)

I'm still not sure about these DSG 'boxes. Low speed changes can be a bit jerky but once past 3rd gear, the changes are pretty smooth. The kickdown is sometimes a bit slow, too. Sometimes, it cannot work out which gear to give you and when this is coupled with a bit of turbo lag, the response is not quite as deft as some would lead you to believe.

Maybe I have just been conditioned by years of torque converter 'box ownership. I can however see how they would work well with a sporty, powerful petrol.
I didn't get along with the DSG in my 2016 TDi Paassssaaatt Alltrack, but it was better in Sport mode, if you have that option on your Superb? I also think you can get DSG boxes reprogrammed - or I might have dreamt that.

Grote

6 posts

23 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
I had the same issues with DSG in the Yeti, response was completely transformed with the purchase of a 'Rachip XLR' which despite the name does nothing for performance but allows a much more immediate throttle response, with different levels from a bit more responsive to OTT.

It was still sometimes jerky at low speeds though, particularly when gently braking as it changed down, this despite fresh transmission oil. Very clever box though, the downshifts going downhill etc were nice.

In contrast the E500 has a much more antiquated gearbox, but the upshifts under part throttle are almost unnoticable. Stamp the right foot and it does take a moment to ponder the request though!

JeremyH5

743 posts

100 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Oh hello swapped, I think you’ve found your online home. Some nice barges you’ve owned there. Splendid tales of woe to boot!

Emeye

8,792 posts

188 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
swapped said:
Got this last week:





I wouldn't have chosen silver, but I did want the 17" wheels, the CGi engine, the black interior (have kids), and this is two owner, full dealer and latterly specialist history, low (for me) miles and all the right jobs done - 4 recent michelin tyres, BIG service just done, gearbox services on schedule, front suspension rebuilt 5000 miles ago, conventional suspension.

I've loved the look since I first saw one - and that's something I can say about some of my favourite past cars - the 914, 9000CS, 9-5 Aero estate, E39 and now hopefully the CLS have all made me make a mental note of 'ooh yes - i could definitely live with one of those' on first sight, and then been good to live with further down the line, when I got my own example of each. Some cars just push the right buttons. The A6 I bought because it argued it's way into my life with logic, facts and figures that proved it was a very sensible choice. Hated it (have I mentioned that?)

Thanks for reading - sorry to go on a bit, but I think I've found my natural home in this thread.

TLDR: Man bought car.
I also love the look of the CLS - the interior in yours is lovely - what is the dash trim/wood? It's just a shame they don't do a rear bench seat version - I really need my cars to have at least 5 seatbelts.

MercedesClassic

585 posts

62 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
[quote=swapped]And I'm yet another lurker emerging, if you don't mind.

I think we just need to have a coming out/ex lurker party so everyone can be themselves and contribute biggrin

Welcome everyone.

bolidemichael

4,964 posts

166 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
swapped said:
TLDR: Man bought silver car.
EFA

Top lurking and welcome. The SAAB 9000 simply looks so right.

bolidemichael

4,964 posts

166 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Grote said:
I find switching the readout to show the temperature rather than the mpg is a good move too.
Too true.

Grote said:
In contrast the E500 has a much more antiquated gearbox, but the upshifts under part throttle are almost unnoticable. Stamp the right foot and it does take a moment to ponder the request though!
Mine too; I am suspicious as to whether it has diminished in responsiveness since I had to replace the valve body.

Grote

6 posts

23 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
bolidemichael said:
Grote said:
I find switching the readout to show the temperature rather than the mpg is a good move too.
Too true.

Grote said:
In contrast the E500 has a much more antiquated gearbox, but the upshifts under part throttle are almost unnoticable. Stamp the right foot and it does take a moment to ponder the request though!
Mine too; I am suspicious as to whether it has diminished in responsiveness since I had to replace the valve body.
I take it as a quirk of an older style gearbox, but then it’s new to me so currently can do no wrong! It does seem to have a dual personality of silent air suspensioned waft, or a full on warp speed, with little in between. The waft is a massively torquey one for good progress though.

Holding in 2nd/3rd with the ability to push everyone into their seats in a split second is childishly fun and doesn’t get old though.

swapped

32 posts

155 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
JeremyH5 said:
Oh hello swapped, I think you’ve found your online home. Some nice barges you’ve owned there. Splendid tales of woe to boot!
Thank you - I should emphasize I kept the 9000, the 530d and the convertible for 5-6 years each. I simply haven't always chosen the optimal moment to jump ship when the miles I have racked-up have started to tell on the ownership experience of some specific cars. I don't look back on any of those three as woeful - but it's so much more fun to tell the stories of breakages and repairs than to talk about how damned reliable a car has been (the CLS, of course, will be my notable exception...).

swapped

32 posts

155 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Emeye said:
I also love the look of the CLS - the interior in yours is lovely - what is the dash trim/wood? It's just a shame they don't do a rear bench seat version - I really need my cars to have at least 5 seatbelts.
Sorry - no idea on the interior!

My guess would be, 'whatever is the option I don't have to pay any extra for', given that the car was specified sans heated seats (meany).

The condition is pretty close to unmarked, which was a large part of the attraction for me: the (p)leather is almost entirely without crease or sag, and the satin wood carries no scratches or knocks.

On the contrary regarding the seating, I was drawn to the CLS really strongly because it only has 4 seats - it was something I really enjoyed about the 9000 Aero too - although that had a central lap-belt, it required the middle passenger to perch on a high, hard, unshaped ridge between the two beautifully sculptured luxury bucket seats that humans actually wanted to sit in.



swapped

32 posts

155 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
bolidemichael said:
EFA

Top lurking and welcome. The SAAB 9000 simply looks so right.
Mrs Swapped had a 9000 Anniversary co-specific to my Aero - it was incredibly useful to have two similar cars in the household when dealing with our (then) two young daughters and their accoutrements, and for diagnosing faults, but I've never managed to arrange it before or since.


ruggedscotty

3,327 posts

174 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
9000 ani was a nice car...

father had one as a company car then bought one for himself after retiral. went and changed that for a 95 griffin... the 9000 was the better car though. would have another if I could find a low miler pristine but sadly they dont exist like that now.

swapped

32 posts

155 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
ruggedscotty said:
9000 ani was a nice car...

father had one as a company car then bought one for himself after retiral. went and changed that for a 95 griffin... the 9000 was the better car though. would have another if I could find a low miler pristine but sadly they dont exist like that now.
Funnily enough, my moniker 'swapped' came to me when I did exactly that, and straight-swapped the 9-5 I had then for the older, higher-mileage, less sophisticated, 9000 Aero pictured here. It was on a forecourt in Lancashire, where it had sat unloved and attracting zero potential buyers for six months - not a scenario I can imagine befalling a tidy 9000 Aero today!

The definition of a good deal well done is when both parties are convinced they did best out of it, but in that instance, I definitely did best.


bolidemichael

4,964 posts

166 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Grote said:
bolidemichael said:
Grote said:
I find switching the readout to show the temperature rather than the mpg is a good move too.
Too true.

Grote said:
In contrast the E500 has a much more antiquated gearbox, but the upshifts under part throttle are almost unnoticable. Stamp the right foot and it does take a moment to ponder the request though!
Mine too; I am suspicious as to whether it has diminished in responsiveness since I had to replace the valve body.
I take it as a quirk of an older style gearbox, but then it’s new to me so currently can do no wrong! It does seem to have a dual personality of silent air suspensioned waft, or a full on warp speed, with little in between. The waft is a massively torquey one for good progress though.

Holding in 2nd/3rd with the ability to push everyone into their seats in a split second is childishly fun and doesn’t get old though.
Well, another quirk (that has featured on a recent thread on MB Club forum) is that the gearbox likes to cling onto its gears when cold. I can most definitely attest to that.

A nice feature is that the change from sixth to seventh takes place above 130mph... at that point the car absolutely sails along!