Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 18]

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 18]

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

Emeye

8,887 posts

189 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
BigBen said:
Emeye said:
I also love the look of the CLS - the interior in yours is lovely - what is the dash trim/wood? It's just a shame they don't do a rear bench seat version - I really need my cars to have at least 5 seatbelts.
I am pretty sure that the rear seat mounts are the same as an E-class so very easy to make a 5 seater CLS. Not sure if it goes as far as the 5th belt already being fitted under the current seat (as with the lap belts on my R107 which are under the parcel shelf)
I have researchedgoogled this a couple of times and found a few people who had similar thoughts but not found anyone who had tried and been successful.

plasticpig

12,410 posts

191 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
B'stard Child said:
How bloody much!!!!!!

OK it's not very leggy but there is no way on gods green earth that it's worth 6-8K

I'm a huge senator fan but I have that at 4K max
I would have said £5k for the Senator. I guess it's how much you are willing to pay for nostalgia. My first barge was a 3.0 24v Senator and I have always wanted another one. It's got the whacky digital dash which is a major plus point.


LetsTryAgain

2,904 posts

39 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
plasticpig said:
I guess it's how much you are willing to pay for nostalgia. My first barge was a 3.0 24v Senator and I have always wanted another one. It's got the whacky digital dash which is a major plus point.
This is a good point, often over looked.
£5k now is a lot less to me than £5k was when I was 17.

bolidemichael

5,376 posts

167 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
MercedesClassic said:
That last one looks the pick of the litter. Unmolested, seemingly well looked after, good spec esp if you need 7 seats.
Someone here needs to buy it to have an E500 hat trick this week biggrin
Agreed. It looks splendid and nicely optioned with ventilated seats, a distinct colour combo, HK audio and a retractable tow bar. Someone splashed out on this and the current owner seems proper too, as evidenced by the four matching Conti MO tyres and the fact that they managed to achieve over 27mpg on a recent run!

nobrakes

1,699 posts

164 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
Emeye said:
mondayo said:
You don't see any E500 estates for months and then.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114762467433

£3700. 7 seater with 196k miles and medium spec. It's got the right wheels and no tinted windows, which I know is important on here.


Or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284264154333

30k less miles and nearly £2k more. With tinted windows and erm wheels (where they haven't been curbed)


Or (and in my opinion, saving the best till last)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284264130458

£5950 but low miles (for it's age) and apparently it's a very dark green and designo interior. It also looks very well equipped....with heated and cooled memory seats.
Undertakers having a fleet refresh?
A thread definition post.

nobrakes

1,699 posts

164 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
plasticpig said:
B'stard Child said:
How bloody much!!!!!!

OK it's not very leggy but there is no way on gods green earth that it's worth 6-8K

I'm a huge senator fan but I have that at 4K max
I would have said £5k for the Senator. I guess it's how much you are willing to pay for nostalgia. My first barge was a 3.0 24v Senator and I have always wanted another one. It's got the whacky digital dash which is a major plus point.
Ironically, it’ll likely be bought by an ex traffic officer.

Dapster

5,296 posts

146 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
Proper engined S210 with a good spec, moderate miles and no visible rot (though MOT history would say it's lurking). Memory heated seats, wood wheel, nav, sunroof and most importantly, rear boot vacuum stripes of win. Exhaust looks a bit Barry and it'll suit a set of monobloc AMGs.



https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-E-CLASS-E...

plasticpig

12,410 posts

191 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
nobrakes said:
Ironically, it’ll likely be bought by an ex traffic officer.
The previous owner of the one I had was a traffic officer. I know this because he stopped me for speeding a couple of days after I got it. That was a surreal conversation... At least he let me off.


LetsTryAgain

2,904 posts

39 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
Dapster said:
Proper engined S210 with a good spec, moderate miles and no visible rot (though MOT history would say it's lurking). Memory heated seats, wood wheel, nav, sunroof and most importantly, rear boot vacuum stripes of win. Exhaust looks a bit Barry and it'll suit a set of monobloc AMGs.



https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-E-CLASS-E...

£4K!?
I’ll crack the jokes.

PS - thread must really like that last E500 at £6k as no one has mentioned the window tints yet.
Usually the first thing to be pointed out!

Edited by LetsTryAgain on Tuesday 20th April 09:51

bolidemichael

5,376 posts

167 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
LetsTryAgain said:
Dapster said:
Proper engined S210 with a good spec, moderate miles and no visible rot (though MOT history would say it's lurking). Memory heated seats, wood wheel, nav, sunroof and most importantly, rear boot vacuum stripes of win. Exhaust looks a bit Barry and it'll suit a set of monobloc AMGs.



https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-E-CLASS-E...

£4K!?
I’ll crack the jokes.
Well, it's getting the 'find another' stage of life in these 210s.

All the lurkers on these pages have no excuses with the offerings presented today. Even the 211 with the black alloys seems to have a good owner.

W00DY

13,593 posts

192 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all





https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-9000-2-3-TURBO-GRI...



Looks a nice thing to own and fettle and at a price that doesn't annoy me.

MercedesClassic

663 posts

63 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
As an S211 owner I really like the look of the S210. They seem much better laid out inside, more substantial. Example being the electric seat adjuster is under a shroud on the door which would keep it dry if you'd to drop the window in the rain. The memory buttons too nice row 1-3 and M. The 211 is that pie shape in 4 quarters.
The ergonomics look better resolved too. The switchgear looks more like my R129 which operates with a reassuring click, more tactile in that rocker switch way.

I haven't owned one so would be interesting to hear the opinions of those who have.

stickleback123

7,926 posts

155 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
If anyone is after a mega spec W221 this is the most highly spec'd out S500 I've seen, I think it's every box ticked.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-2008-OBSIDIAN-BLAC...

I'd have to take off the naff Brabus badging and maybe swap out some less tacky wheels, but that is absolute top spec (Fridge, night vision, proper leather, ABC, all the seat options front and rear, it even claims to have the auxilliary parking heater. It's been up for a while so there is almost certainly some negotiating to be done.

Regarding conventional gearboxes allowing more engine revs before upshift when cold that's a feature of most modern boxes, it's to get the transmission fluid up to operating temperature ASAP. It can make for a noisy cold engine!

MercedesClassic said:
As an S211 owner I really like the look of the S210. They seem much better laid out inside, more substantial. Example being the electric seat adjuster is under a shroud on the door which would keep it dry if you'd to drop the window in the rain. The memory buttons too nice row 1-3 and M. The 211 is that pie shape in 4 quarters.
The ergonomics look better resolved too. The switchgear looks more like my R129 which operates with a reassuring click, more tactile in that rocker switch way.

I haven't owned one so would be interesting to hear the opinions of those who have.
I've never owned one, but I much prefer the interior "architecture" of the 210 to the 00s fisher-price style of the 211. They seem to wear exceptionally well too, if it weren't for the rust issues or if we lived in a country with a warmer climate I think the 210 would be the go to cheap barge because the running gear is very tough and fairly simple.

harrykul

2,695 posts

192 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
100% this. I really liked mine, only the rust put me off it.

I've seen them in immaculate condition in Hong Kong- they looked really rather nice.

B'stard Child

22,374 posts

212 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
plasticpig said:
B'stard Child said:
How bloody much!!!!!!

OK it's not very leggy but there is no way on gods green earth that it's worth 6-8K

I'm a huge senator fan but I have that at 4K max
I would have said £5k for the Senator. I guess it's how much you are willing to pay for nostalgia. My first barge was a 3.0 24v Senator and I have always wanted another one. It's got the whacky digital dash which is a major plus point.
Digi dash is a no from me - far to busy in day to day driving much prefer the analogue set up

OK I'll agree maybe 5K tops - IF (and it's a big IF) the

Rear arches aren't full of plod,
Sills are OK,
Rear chassis rails above the crossmember aren't swiss cheese
Bulkhead where the main loom goes thro is solid (really awkward repair area)

It's a nice colour but the grey leather never looks as nice as the black

This was £5K (no offers) last year (was built around my old Body Kit and Wheels)



I think it's got other issues

https://youtu.be/fiNKqB3LkCU

loquacious

1,057 posts

123 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
I was told that the 'autos hanging onto low gears when cold' was to get heat into the cats as fast as possible. Emissions dontcha know!

MercedesClassic

663 posts

63 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
I've seen that S500L for sale for a while as you say a negotiation point possibly. I alloys are what attracted me to the advert as they a Brabus alloys, I assume genuine so worth plenty. The AMG body kit on that would be the icing on the cake too.

Krikkit

21,406 posts

147 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
loquacious said:
I was told that the 'autos hanging onto low gears when cold' was to get heat into the cats as fast as possible. Emissions dontcha know!
Yep quicker warmup is quite common, some revs on light loads really aren't a problem for cold engines.

LetsTryAgain

2,904 posts

39 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
Is anyone nearby the nice coloured S500 posted earlier?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104081...

Ilkeston, which I believe is Derbyshire without checking.


TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED