RE: BMW M3 Competition (F80) | Spotted

RE: BMW M3 Competition (F80) | Spotted

Author
Discussion

Chestrockwell

2,435 posts

122 months

Saturday 6th March
quotequote all
Pomsteroonie said:
I really don't get why so many people love the M3 and then totally dislike the M4.

This was my M3




This is my M4CS




I think they are equally good looking but cannot fathom the lack of love for the M4
Absolutely stunning, specifically the M4CS

I prefer the M4, I like the dimple in the boot and think it looks way more purposeful. A lot of people seem to prefer the M3 because of the stance and the hips of it like the M4 doesn’t have it but the 4 series is already pretty wide and it being a coupe will mask the wider arches unlike the M3 which has 4 doors.


hungry_hog

1,374 posts

153 months

Saturday 6th March
quotequote all
Chestrockwell said:
Absolutely stunning, specifically the M4CS

I prefer the M4, I like the dimple in the boot and think it looks way more purposeful. A lot of people seem to prefer the M3 because of the stance and the hips of it like the M4 doesn’t have it but the 4 series is already pretty wide and it being a coupe will mask the wider arches unlike the M3 which has 4 doors.
M3 looks wider at the back. Whether it is wider or not is irrelevant.
No one says - "oh that Ferrari looks so low and wide" and digs out the tape measure to make sure!

I like both but for me the M3 stands out more, maybe because the M4 is closer to the F32 in shape to my eye

Edited by hungry_hog on Saturday 6th March 21:00

cerb4.5lee

18,819 posts

145 months

Saturday 6th March
quotequote all
Pomsteroonie said:
I really don't get why so many people love the M3 and then totally dislike the M4.

I think they are equally good looking but cannot fathom the lack of love for the M4
It was the same with the E9x M3 as well. Everyone seemed to love the E90 M3 whereas the E92 M3 never got much love. I've never understood it and it is the same with the F8x M3 and M4 as well. It is weird for sure.

hungry_hog

1,374 posts

153 months

Saturday 6th March
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
It was the same with the E9x M3 as well. Everyone seemed to love the E90 M3 whereas the E92 M3 never got much love. I've never understood it and it is the same with the F8x M3 and M4 as well. It is weird for sure.
I much prefer the E92. E90 is very plain Jane looking

Chestrockwell

2,435 posts

122 months

Sunday 7th March
quotequote all
hungry_hog said:
Chestrockwell said:
Absolutely stunning, specifically the M4CS

I prefer the M4, I like the dimple in the boot and think it looks way more purposeful. A lot of people seem to prefer the M3 because of the stance and the hips of it like the M4 doesn’t have it but the 4 series is already pretty wide and it being a coupe will mask the wider arches unlike the M3 which has 4 doors.
M3 looks wider at the back. Whether it is wider or not is irrelevant.
No one says - "oh that Ferrari looks so low and wide" and digs out the tape measure to make sure!

I like both but for me the M3 stands out more, maybe because the M4 is closer to the F32 in shape to my eye

Edited by hungry_hog on Saturday 6th March 21:00
Hang on....not sure what you’re getting at there friend. The M3 has wider tracks and rear arches. The M3 also uses 4 series front lights because of how wider it is. That’s why it stands out more. I was explaining to the other poster why I think people prefer the M3 over the M4

hungry_hog

1,374 posts

153 months

Sunday 7th March
quotequote all
Chestrockwell said:
Hang on....not sure what you’re getting at there friend. The M3 has wider tracks and rear arches. The M3 also uses 4 series front lights because of how wider it is. That’s why it stands out more. I was explaining to the other poster why I think people prefer the M3 over the M4
Fair play

Didn't know that, which is embarrassing as an owner!

RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat

12,574 posts

60 months

Sunday 7th March
quotequote all
I'm not sure the M3 uses the M4 front end because it has to to cope with being wider track (you could sort that with wider wings/arches as they do at the rear). It's more likely a branding decision to separate the M3 saloon from the other 3 Series saloons and make it look more agressive. They began it with the E90 saloon and have continued it through to the new one.

Chestrockwell

2,435 posts

122 months

Sunday 7th March
quotequote all
RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat said:
I'm not sure the M3 uses the M4 front end because it has to to cope with being wider track (you could sort that with wider wings/arches as they do at the rear). It's more likely a branding decision to separate the M3 saloon from the other 3 Series saloons and make it look more agressive. They began it with the E90 saloon and have continued it through to the new one.
The M3 definitely uses the 4 series lights, I know this as the LCI M3 kept the pre-LCI front lights unlike the normal 3 series which had completely new full LED light clusters. The LCI 2 M3 came out when the 4 series was updated. I think the reason it shared the lights because of the flared arches, probably shared with the M4

RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat

12,574 posts

60 months

Sunday 7th March
quotequote all
I know what the M3 used, I owned one!