What happened to genuinely posh cars and their targets?

What happened to genuinely posh cars and their targets?

Author
Discussion

MyV10BarksAndBites

270 posts

13 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
sasha320 said:
Jaguar steve said:
It's manners, not money that really counts.

Regardless of how affordable it may or may not be anyone with decorum and refined manners would naturally shy away from flaunting their wealth with a vulgar display of automotive Bling, which of course leaves only those with coarse manners and entirely lacking in decorum to do the all flaunting.



This image presents itself wherever I encounter it.
This is also what the cash poor landed gentry say to cover up for the fact that their grandfather was a swashbuckling entrepreneurial business tycoon who created millions and all they’ve achieved with all their privilege and jump start in life is 4uck all.

Btw grandad thought nothing of steaming down the outside lane of the Home Counties stretch of motorway bullying the Morris Minor’s and other assorted junk out if the way in his V8 powered Bentley / Range Rover / Roller.

Understated my 4rse it was a show of wealth (distribution) like any other.
laugh This!!! X1000

Get 'em shoot

RMDB9

Original Poster:

1,711 posts

12 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
Is there a chance the grandfather behaved nicely, instead of bulling people out of the way?

Roman Moroni

530 posts

87 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
RMDB9 said:
Lets talk about the respectable upper class, minor royals, diplomats, ministers (Tory), landed gentry, maybe maybe some "men about town" in a Claus von Bülow way, Viscount Edward Snowden etc.
I think the only limo that Edward Snowden will see the inside of will be made by Zil winksmile

Wheel_Turned_Out

321 posts

2 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
Came upon this rather pleasing ad for a Turbo R, a vehicle I desire immensely, indicating maybe a more "on the nose" shift in target markets 30 odd years ago.


Sporky

952 posts

28 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
RMDB9 said:
Is there a chance the grandfather behaved nicely, instead of bulling people out of the way?
Only if that supports the unhinged edge case one is trying to use to support one's backed-into-a-corner position.

Anonymous-poster

11,982 posts

170 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
Wheel_Turned_Out said:
Came upon this rather pleasing ad for a Turbo R, a vehicle I desire immensely, indicating maybe a more "on the nose" shift in target markets 30 odd years ago.

Never understood the love for this car!

Wheel_Turned_Out

321 posts

2 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
Anonymous-poster said:
Wheel_Turned_Out said:
Came upon this rather pleasing ad for a Turbo R, a vehicle I desire immensely, indicating maybe a more "on the nose" shift in target markets 30 odd years ago.

Never understood the love for this car!
I gave up trying to understand a love for anything a long time ago, and now just go with it. laugh

ddom

3,426 posts

12 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
Wheel_Turned_Out said:
Came upon this rather pleasing ad for a Turbo R, a vehicle I desire immensely, indicating maybe a more "on the nose" shift in target markets 30 odd years ago.

I love them.

sasha320

535 posts

212 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
RMDB9 said:
Is there a chance the grandfather behaved nicely, instead of bulling people out of the way?
Not when it contradicts my POV!

Lily the Pink

3,563 posts

134 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
Can we just get one thing straight please.

It's not "bailer twine" or "bailing twine".

It's "baler twine" or if you must, "baling twine". Got it ?

320d is all you need

1,733 posts

7 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
Flumpo said:
Really? I can’t see lord and lady snoot sending one of these to collect miss marple for a lovely weekend of mystery.





Or someone announcing the delegation of Japanese royals have arrived.
The new Ford Kuga - Nice!

320d is all you need

1,733 posts

7 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
sparta6 said:
Full effect of the monthly installment industry.

Nobody wants to wait for anything, and everyone can appear to be wealthy.
I don't think that's the grab for a lot of people, it's just how money has evolved to be used, certainly using a % of your allocated monthly income for a car is not dumb, and not everyone wants to be driving around in a 15 year old Saab 9-3 Aero . Some people want a new car with a warranty, Apple Car Play and heated seats.

While there are some people who view cars as "wealth extensions" (I've certainly met a few in my time including an apprentice who worked at a friends company, he had a 2012 Mercedes C Class when he was 18 and thought he was the fking dogs nuts, always would wear a suit jacket to work (office job) when everyone else wore the company Jumper/Coat - knob.

But for 90% of people having a new Audi or BMW on a monthly payment is not a result of wanting to appear wealthy, it's wanting to have a practical car that also is "stylish" . At least that's my take on it smile

Ferruccio Fan

111 posts

4 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
320d is all you need said:
Flumpo said:
Really? I can’t see lord and lady snoot sending one of these to collect miss marple for a lovely weekend of mystery.





Or someone announcing the delegation of Japanese royals have arrived.
The new Ford Kuga - Nice!
Seeing that picture in a small size in the quote I thought it was a Kuga , then I got it .........Doh !

RMDB9

Original Poster:

1,711 posts

12 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
320d is all you need said:
While there are some people who view cars as "wealth extensions" (I've certainly met a few in my time including an apprentice who worked at a friends company, he had a 2012 Mercedes C Class when he was 18 and thought he was the fking dogs nuts, always would wear a suit jacket to work (office job) when everyone else wore the company Jumper/Coat - knob.
I have seen that type of person. While its easy to make fun of them, these are usually "social climbers" without the negative connotation, the first in the family to have a white-collar job, a "Benz" (often plain and in fine condition, seat covers, steel wheel etc) and "suit and tie" jobs are very important status signifiers for them. An 18 year old like the one you described does not want to appear "wealthy", but "respectable".

rog007

5,543 posts

188 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
jamei303 said:
Even Prince Michael has gone full SUV

Might have to now consider going back:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56647128

The Spruce Goose

27,613 posts

159 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
Have we had carries money around in tesco carry bags and drives very old cars, anything in the shed thread, for the old money types?

Someone needs to do an old money bingo card.

Edited by The Spruce Goose on Wednesday 7th April 06:38

CheesecakeRunner

1,096 posts

55 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
RMDB9 said:
320d is all you need said:
While there are some people who view cars as "wealth extensions" (I've certainly met a few in my time including an apprentice who worked at a friends company, he had a 2012 Mercedes C Class when he was 18 and thought he was the fking dogs nuts, always would wear a suit jacket to work (office job) when everyone else wore the company Jumper/Coat - knob.
I have seen that type of person. While its easy to make fun of them, these are usually "social climbers" without the negative connotation, the first in the family to have a white-collar job, a "Benz" (often plain and in fine condition, seat covers, steel wheel etc) and "suit and tie" jobs are very important status signifiers for them. An 18 year old like the one you described does not want to appear "wealthy", but "respectable".
Indeed. Calling someone a “knob” for wearing a suit to an office job, and having a nice but average car, says more about the person making the statement, than the subject of the statement.

Camelot1971

2,244 posts

130 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
Harry Flashman said:
Also electric cars as virtue signalling.

I mean, the mind boggles at the wilful ignorance and fkwittery in display in that post. Truly boggles.
How do you know someone drives a Tesla? Don't worry, they will tell you repeatedly.

CooperS

4,239 posts

183 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
CheesecakeRunner said:
RMDB9 said:
320d is all you need said:
While there are some people who view cars as "wealth extensions" (I've certainly met a few in my time including an apprentice who worked at a friends company, he had a 2012 Mercedes C Class when he was 18 and thought he was the fking dogs nuts, always would wear a suit jacket to work (office job) when everyone else wore the company Jumper/Coat - knob.
I have seen that type of person. While its easy to make fun of them, these are usually "social climbers" without the negative connotation, the first in the family to have a white-collar job, a "Benz" (often plain and in fine condition, seat covers, steel wheel etc) and "suit and tie" jobs are very important status signifiers for them. An 18 year old like the one you described does not want to appear "wealthy", but "respectable".
Indeed. Calling someone a “knob” for wearing a suit to an office job, and having a nice but average car, says more about the person making the statement, than the subject of the statement.
Absolutely. In addition they're often the people who also get bent out of shape when the 18 well presented, well mannered , determined and enthusiastic individual starts to accend leaving those onlookers to think they got there by luck or by sucking up.

Wheel_Turned_Out

321 posts

2 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
Camelot1971 said:
Harry Flashman said:
Also electric cars as virtue signalling.

I mean, the mind boggles at the wilful ignorance and fkwittery in display in that post. Truly boggles.
How do you know someone drives a Tesla? Don't worry, they will tell you repeatedly.
More likely someone else will point it out for them, no doubt with a smartarse remark in tow for good measure.