Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 19]

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 19]

Author
Discussion

swiveleyedgit

2,268 posts

236 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
21st Century Man said:
I have a wheel bearing on my Convoy that's started to hum. £12 each and about an hours labour smile
Are you one of those gloaters? #Blackadder

Lord.Vader

3,631 posts

106 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
rider73 said:
W00DY said:
Kinky said:
Don't think this has been posted yet, but a decent looking Alfa 164 V6 Cloverleaf.



ebayed here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-164-3-0-V6-C...
Not keen on the wheels bit otherwise delicious. thumbup
thats got me stirring in the morning.....

although as per my past experience with Alfas - no matter how much work done, or spent on caring for it, or rocking it to sleep every night in a dust free, damp free garage - you always shut your eyes ever time you turn the key in the ignition and prey to the alfa gods in the sky to be kind to me today.....
I’ll be bidding on that.

My 100k + mile, 2005, 166 TS was a brilliant car, lavished by ‘Zombie’ (a member on here who seems to have a propensity for spending an obscene amount of time perfecting his cars), yet even with all that care every time I turned the key I expected a Christmas tree dashboard and failure to proceed …

There was always an electrical issue, never mechanical.


TyrannosauRoss Lex

27,510 posts

179 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
plasticpig said:
21st Century Man said:
I have a wheel bearing on my Convoy that's started to hum. £12 each and about an hours labour smile
About the same as my Scimitar. Probably of the same era where you can actually take them apart and fit new seals and repack with grease. Not worth the effort for £12 though.


I think the wheel bearings on the wheels of my push bike cost more than that laugh

RicksAlfas

11,192 posts

211 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
21st Century Man said:
I have a wheel bearing on my Convoy that's started to hum. £12 each and about an hours labour smile
Does yours have the left hand thread wheelnuts on the nearside?
Years ago we had a Convoy at work which had a puncture. All these big burly blokes couldn't shift the wheel nuts. I knew the nuts were left handed and in my "smart work attire" undid them with no effort. Much huffing and grumbling ensued. hehe

swiveleyedgit

2,268 posts

236 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
Emeye said:
Stegel said:
MercedesClassic said:
Hahahaha the hospital is like my cars, like trigger's broom, all new nothing original.

I'm ok thanks, she says I'll survive but I'll be up and down the road frequently for next 2 years for checkups so I want my steed to cosset me especially when the dark wet days return.

I was thinking it wasn't warped discs as it's ok braking and only over about 50mph so sitting on motorway at 70 there's a bit of a vibration through the steering which is tiresome. Pardon the pun.
I suggest checking the wheels are still circular - lift the car, and spin the wheels while eyeballing the inner rim. I don’t know what size wheels you have, but certainly the larger sizes in 211s are prone to a buckle, and on the front they will give the steering a wobble. Some tyre fitters will notice and flag it up, but with others you’re sometimes lucky if they put it on the right way round.
Could it be that some of the balancing weights have fallen off the wheels?
What type of wheels MC? If they're a multispoke design and 18 or 19 inch diameter and have AMG stamped on them, I've found (expensively) that they are prone to distortion, especially the inside of the rim. I've taken to sourcing factory wheels, no bigger than 18 inches, if I buy a Merc and it has AMGs fitted (All Money Gone as my wife puts it)

tog

4,041 posts

195 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
Stegel said:
I suggest checking the wheels are still circular - lift the car, and spin the wheels while eyeballing the inner rim.
My tyre chap jacked my Saab up just a few millimetres off the ground - then when you spin the wheel it is easy to spot if the gap is changing as the wheel goes round. In my case it was deformed tyres from when the car stood for a year or two prior to me getting it.

W00DY

13,708 posts

193 months

john_1983

1,204 posts

115 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
It's funny how "29mpg on a long run" is deemed good amongst us hehe I just gave the diesel Passat 2013 back and it was dull as a grey Monday morning but it used less than half the fuel of the LS460. Even on a trip around town it was getting 45+mpg and on a motorway slog it did 70.

That said, it was lovely to get the barge back!
Compared to some of my other stuff it's very economical for the power biggrin

Usget

5,369 posts

178 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
W00DY said:
Other than the colour on the wheels, that is delicious...

21st Century Man

35,787 posts

215 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
RicksAlfas said:
Does yours have the left hand thread wheelnuts on the nearside?
Years ago we had a Convoy at work which had a puncture. All these big burly blokes couldn't shift the wheel nuts. I knew the nuts were left handed and in my "smart work attire" undid them with no effort. Much huffing and grumbling ensued. hehe
Yes, that's right. My Turbo R was likewise (didn't stop a wheel coming off though when they were insufficiently torqued after a service, which I thought was the whole point of handed threads?)

MercedesClassic

689 posts

64 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
swiveleyedgit said:
Emeye said:
Stegel said:
MercedesClassic said:
Hahahaha the hospital is like my cars, like trigger's broom, all new nothing original.

I'm ok thanks, she says I'll survive but I'll be up and down the road frequently for next 2 years for checkups so I want my steed to cosset me especially when the dark wet days return.

I was thinking it wasn't warped discs as it's ok braking and only over about 50mph so sitting on motorway at 70 there's a bit of a vibration through the steering which is tiresome. Pardon the pun.
I suggest checking the wheels are still circular - lift the car, and spin the wheels while eyeballing the inner rim. I don’t know what size wheels you have, but certainly the larger sizes in 211s are prone to a buckle, and on the front they will give the steering a wobble. Some tyre fitters will notice and flag it up, but with others you’re sometimes lucky if they put it on the right way round.
Could it be that some of the balancing weights have fallen off the wheels?
What type of wheels MC? If they're a multispoke design and 18 or 19 inch diameter and have AMG stamped on them, I've found (expensively) that they are prone to distortion, especially the inside of the rim. I've taken to sourcing factory wheels, no bigger than 18 inches, if I buy a Merc and it has AMGs fitted (All Money Gone as my wife puts it)
Thanks for the replies guys Inc BM and Tog. The alloys are the chunkier facelift avantgarde 17 inchers so despite the roads being abysmal I'd doubt if they're buckled. I'll check though. Weights probably not the cause either as was happening on old tyres and weights replaced since.

I'll take to the tyre guy anyway to spin them and see. What way would a wheel bearing issue manifest itself?

stickleback123

8,045 posts

156 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
swiveleyedgit said:
What type of wheels MC? If they're a multispoke design and 18 or 19 inch diameter and have AMG stamped on them, I've found (expensively) that they are prone to distortion, especially the inside of the rim. I've taken to sourcing factory wheels, no bigger than 18 inches, if I buy a Merc and it has AMGs fitted (All Money Gone as my wife puts it)
The 20" AMG rims that came on my S600 are covered in previous welding repairs, I put two huge cracks in one within a month or two of buying the car and they've now relegated to WorldBoss's lockup. I'm not sure if this is an issue for all oversize wheels or if the AMG badged wheels are just make crap, but I've never damaged an alloy wheel before.

Ironically the unfashionable 18" wheels they fitted as standard to the car (and it is currently wearing) are very strong and light forged wheels, so the cast alloy boat anchor AMG options are worse in every possible way.

21st Century Man

35,787 posts

215 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
MercedesClassic said:
What way would a wheel bearing issue manifest itself?
I doubt it would manifest in wheel balance type symptoms, it would have to be pretty well worn and making a right old hum. Worn bearings tend to hum, which gets progressively louder over time and particularly when there is some steering input on say long bends, weaving left to right and it may get quieter/louder, pop into neutral and coast to hear it better over the engine/transmission noise.

My van has just started to hum on left hand bends, less so straight ahead, so I'm pretty sure it's the RH front wheel bearing. It could go for hundreds even thousands of miles just getting louder, but I'm booking it in to get both fronts done.

I don't think your issue is wheel bearings.

bluestag75

17 posts

73 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
Hi, long time lurker here and now need the collective wisdom of the beards.

I’ve just sold the Mk1 C70 T5 (soft top not working) for peanuts and am looking for something to replace it. My immediate thoughts was to buy a Mk2 C70 but the metal roof doesn’t leave a lot of luggage space so I started looking at Saab 93 Aero TTID’s (I’d love the V6 petrol but they have stellar mileage in my price bracket). Then started looking at CLK convertibles which led me to BMW Series 3

I will be buying in the UK (whenever I can travel without having to quarantine) as my partner cannot/will not drive a left hand drive😬

So, which has the collective thumbs up and which version?

Thanks

Steve

SpeckledJim

25,737 posts

220 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
3 Series is my favourite of the saloon-based 4-seater 'executive' convertibles.

RicksAlfas

11,192 posts

211 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
21st Century Man said:
Yes, that's right. My Turbo R was likewise (didn't stop a wheel coming off though when they were insufficiently torqued after a service, which I thought was the whole point of handed threads?)
I thought so too! Sounds a scary incident.

MHT223

197 posts

175 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
W00DY said:
Wasn't that E39 in the for sale in the last volume? The car of a 5 series forum admin or something alone those lines? There can't be that many with the interior combo.

Also, have some Hemi action within thread



https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105253...



https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105313...

I know, the Commander is listed for sale by a garage that has an interesting reputation but it's still thread worthy.


maxwellwd

202 posts

53 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
john_1983 said:
maxwellwd said:
I had an XJR for about a year. Had a few things that I had to remedy, new valve block and compressor as kept playing up. Fuel straps, battery, a couple of ball joints etc.

The biggest expense was the corrosion. Sure they don't rust per se, but they certainly corrode, the difference with aluminum it just doesn't spread like steel. Would be surprised if your XJ6 has never had paint. Not all bodyshops in my experience will work on them either.

Had to replace an 02 sensor as well. Having said all of that, was a bloody fantastic car. So quiet comfortable and quick, do miss it. But sold on to the parish here.
And it's still going strong smile Passed the MOT with flying colours, tester said he hadn't seen one in such good condition.

I've not used it that much, but it's a great car - quick and comfy, and surprisingly economical. I'm averaging 24mpg, and got 29mpg on a long run to Glasgow.

There is a small bit of corrosion on the nsf wing which I'm monitoring, nothing too bad at the moment. It noticeably settles on its suspension if parked up for a fortnight but always raises fine and no errors. When pulling away you have to be very careful with the throttle, it's very sensitive - suspect it's the torque converter as 1st to 2nd can sometimes be a bit jerky. The gearbox had a fluid change not that long ago so might be solenoids - will get The Man to have a look.

Funny you mentioned the battery - I just put a new one in. No issues with starting etc but I was getting the occasional DSC not available message, and the cruise control only worked intermittently. New battery has fixed these issues, car also starts with a noticeable flare of revs now.

One of the street chaplain ladies helping out with parking at the vaccination centre was very impressed with it, said it was a beautiful car. I suspect she was keen to live out the Jaaaag stereotype, she definitely looked a bit hussy.
So glad to hear that you still have it and are enjoying it so much. smile Funnily enough men and women of a certain age often stopped to tell me how nice a car it was.

I got the feeling that it never liked to be sitting for too long without being driven, it seemed to cause electrical issues. So got the new battery and the terminals cleaned up and was all good.

C70R

8,391 posts

71 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
SpeckledJim said:
3 Series is my favourite of the saloon-based 4-seater 'executive' convertibles.
Beware the E93 convertible if you were disappointed with the C70's luggage space. It's exceptionally poor with the roof down. The fabric roof on the second-gen CLK leaves a much more usable space.

W00DY

13,708 posts

193 months

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
MHT223 said:
W00DY said:
Wasn't that E39 in the for sale in the last volume? The car of a 5 series forum admin or something alone those lines? There can't be that many with the interior combo.
There are quite a few out there as it is a Champagne II edition which all had the same colours and spec (Champagne I was very similar, but slightly different spec) I think the one you're referencing was neither and was actually a 535i with a modified beige interior to look similar.

I like the Commander, but the fuel consumption has to be horrific.