RE: Lotus previews new Emira interior

RE: Lotus previews new Emira interior

Author
Discussion

SidewaysSi

9,235 posts

202 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
People want an SUV for a variety of reasons. Image, ease of use, off road ability etc.

Who really cares? Why is it so many threads discuss the same old thing on here?

PhantomPH

3,916 posts

193 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
People want an SUV for a variety of reasons. Image, ease of use, off road ability etc.

Who really cares? Why is it so many threads discuss the same old thing on here?
Because cyclic-triggering is an increasing phenomenon and PH is a prime example, bud. wink


Oh and you missed one off - people also want an SUV because they just want one. A bit like the same reason I am wearing an Apple Watch. No need for 90% of the funcionality but...you know..I just fancied one. smile

otolith

45,079 posts

172 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
People want an SUV for a variety of reasons. Image, ease of use, off road ability etc.

Who really cares? Why is it so many threads discuss the same old thing on here?
Some people hate them, don't want one, can't figure out what a car enthusiast would want one for. Other people have exactly the same attitude to electric cars. Other people want what they want.

But in this case if you are trying to figure out how a Lotus branded SUV is going to work then thinking about what people who buy them see in them is relevant.


braddo

7,754 posts

156 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
otolith said:
Some people hate them, don't want one, can't figure out what a car enthusiast would want one for. Other people have exactly the same attitude to electric cars. Other people want what they want.

But in this case if you are trying to figure out how a Lotus branded SUV is going to work then thinking about what people who buy them see in them is relevant.
As ever, it would seem Porsche would be the benchmark, with the Macan as the kind of size/price that the Lotus SUV would target in all likelihood?

In pure practicality terms (interior space, boot space, off-road utility) the Macan isn't much more than a 2-ton Mk11 Ford Focus. Lotus could get away with very little concessions to off-road, which helps reduce weight; being the handling/fun benchmark would be a given, but a crucial factor will be that it has to look great.

The problem is, is that kind of car the Alfa Stelvio today? And has it been a sales sucess?





otolith

45,079 posts

172 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
braddo said:
The problem is, is that kind of car the Alfa Stelvio today? And has it been a sales sucess?
A very fair point.

bcr5784

5,784 posts

113 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
otolith said:
braddo said:
The problem is, is that kind of car the Alfa Stelvio today? And has it been a sales sucess?
A very fair point.
Too pretty/not butch enough? It almost seems that an SUV has to be ugly to be credible.

spagbogdog

764 posts

228 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
Incorrect

For the most part..people buy SUV’s based on pedigree..(or perceived pedigree).

It takes a long while for a Co to build that ‘schmaltz’.

JLR have the market down to a tee.

Alfa is not in the same league.

However.. did you actually appreciate the gender of the Head of Product Marketing. ..?

By default..’she’ has practically zero presence on this website. Reason… she is not interested.

Electrify
Amplify
Simplify
Intensify
Personify

The last one is the most important.
Substitute Genderfy.

There is more profit in..:
RR Sport
Bentayga
Urus
Macan
Boxster
than the rest of the market put together.

‘’She’ doesn’t give a flying~f**k about suspension setting nor lap times. ‘She’ is the one that ‘glues the rest of it’ together and allows the car makers to sell something that sells. That turns profit and subsequently allows Porsche to indulge themselves and build GT cars.

Ferrari are just about to do the same.
Aston have finally woken up.
Lamborghini are already in.

It’s hardly rocket science.

Tesla will build a smaller model~X for sure.

bcr5784

5,784 posts

113 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
spagbogdog said:
For the most part..people buy SUV’s based on pedigree..(or perceived pedigree).

It takes a long while for a Co to build that ‘schmaltz’.
While I would't disagree with that, the past has gone via a number of really significant UTILITY vehicles. The first (in my era) was the Reliant Scimita GTE - which made sporty estate cars "sexy". The next was the Renault Espace which made MPVs sexy - and now we have (and I find it hard to say this) we have the Nissan Joke and Cayenne making SUVs sexy!

It actually didn't take long for either the GTE or the Espace to get that credibility - and if someone comes up with a different and compelling USP it really wouldn't surprize me if fashion moved in a different direction.

Currently the best selling US "cars" are, by a huge margin, 4 door pickups - and similar vehicles are becoming more popular in the UK. Rational thought seems to have gone out of the window, because, other than tradespeople, I can't believe for many such a vehicle makes a rational choice.


Edited by bcr5784 on Friday 11th June 21:40


Edited by bcr5784 on Friday 11th June 21:52

spagbogdog

764 posts

228 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
Here in Blighty we don’t WANT pick~ups
There is no need or crave for them.
The choice is ‘forced’ upon the ‘Uber~trades~MAN’

IE MAN

‘He’ perceives it makes him look credible.

Women think he looks a ‘pr**k’.

His children think he looks like a ‘pr**k’.

Women DONT DRIVE pick~ups in the UK.

Lotus have NO market outside of the UK.

P R O F I T is not in pick~ups in the UK

Geely will not build a Lotus pick~up

Geely WILL build a svelte 4*4 and employ another ‘Mrs Beckham’ to sell it for them.


DonkeyApple

41,634 posts

137 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
bcr5784 said:
I can't know what is in the head of any individual, but I do know enough SUV owners to know that , as a group, most don't need the off road capabilies of their cars. Are you REALLY suggesting otherwise?
A 4x4 is for offroad. An SUV is just a style of car like a hatchback, saloon or estate. Most performance vehicles seem to be 4WD these days.

The whole 'offroad' thing is just a marketing legacy of the firms having to try and copy Range Rover. That pretence has pretty much gone and most bar the elderly realised it was marketing guff like the guff about Lotus or Porsche performance that is never used by the owners who mostly trundle around town desperately trying to get women of children to look at them.

The uncomfortable truth is that at least SUVs get used as practical vehicle of purpose. The true automotive charlatans are sports cars which despite many protestations are never used in any kind of sporting manner but just to potter along showing off to strangers at incredible slow speeds.

I doubt many SUV owners are driving around with some kind of delusion in their mind about being Bear Grylls but we can be pretty sure most sports car owners have some delusion running through their head whether it be thinking they're James Bond or wealthy, a racing driver, or attractive. In the UK most sports car owners seem to be over 50, potato faced blokes of artificially inflated means using a chattel to delude themselves that they are someone not as irrelevant as the next punter.

How can SUVs be derided for not going offroad in a thread about sports cars which most owners never drive sportingly, aren't remotely practical and the primary purpose is to facilitate a fantasy delusion of an old bloke. wink

bcr5784

5,784 posts

113 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
DonkeyApple said:
How can SUVs be derided for not going offroad in a thread about sports cars which most owners never drive sportingly, aren't remotely practical and the primary purpose is to facilitate a fantasy delusion of an old bloke. wink
They can't be derided unless you apply the same rationality to posers (young or old) in sports cars. Which I do!


Edited by bcr5784 on Saturday 12th June 08:29

DonkeyApple

41,634 posts

137 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
bcr5784 said:
They can't be derided unless you apply the same rationality to posers in sports cars. Which I do!
It's quite an extensive list of society that you look down upon based on random, visual assumptions or chattel association though? Wouldn't it just be easier to be more self confident and not need to do that? wink

As most sports car owners also seem to have an SUV and most drivers rarely vmax their cars to the shops or traverse mongolia in them is it not a fruitless and baseless exercise just for a personal gain?

If the object makes the operator happy then it doesn't matter what it's used for. I've taken an SUV on a track day and a friend took his Testarossa across a field and putt a dead sheep in it. But PHers can't really deride others over their car choices because by definition, our personal choices tend to be the most ridiculous and impractical of all car choices.


bcr5784

5,784 posts

113 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
DonkeyApple said:
It's quite an extensive list of society that you look down upon based on random, visual assumptions or chattel association though? Wouldn't it just be easier to be more self confident and not need to do that? wink

As most sports car owners also seem to have an SUV and most drivers rarely vmax their cars to the shops or traverse mongolia in them is it not a fruitless and baseless exercise just for a personal gain?

If the object makes the operator happy then it doesn't matter what it's used for. I've taken an SUV on a track day and a friend took his Testarossa across a field and putt a dead sheep in it. But PHers can't really deride others over their car choices because by definition, our personal choices tend to be the most ridiculous and impractical of all car choices.
Can't be bothered to argue any more.

This thread is about what type of SUV/Crossover Lotus will be able to flog in quantity to the image and fashion conscious buyers of such things. Lets get back on topic.



timbo999

981 posts

223 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
bcr5784 said:
Can't be bothered to argue any more.

This thread is about what type of SUV/Crossover Lotus will be able to flog in quantity to the image and fashion conscious buyers of such things. Lets get back on topic.
Well actually, most people thought this thread was about Lotus' new sports car...

evotion

10 posts

218 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
bcr5784 said:
Can't be bothered to argue any more.

This thread is about what type of SUV/Crossover Lotus will be able to flog in quantity to the image and fashion conscious buyers of such things. Lets get back on topic.
Actually, it is about the keenly awaited Emira!
Let's keep on THAT topic! wink

bcr5784

5,784 posts

113 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
evotion said:
Actually, it is about the keenly awaited Emira!
Let's keep on THAT topic! wink
It's actually about the Emira steering wheel and display if we want to be strict about it!


Edited by bcr5784 on Saturday 12th June 10:53

DonkeyApple

41,634 posts

137 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
bcr5784 said:
Can't be bothered to argue any more.

This thread is about what type of SUV/Crossover Lotus will be able to flog in quantity to the image and fashion conscious buyers of such things. Lets get back on topic.
It's about the new sports car rather than one man's social prejudices. wink

APontus

1,000 posts

3 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
If flogging an SUV helps Lotus build exciting cars, then crack on.

NeuralCord

6 posts

111 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
bcr5784 said:
Can't conceive that switchgear will be the decisive for me - does it deliver the Lotus ride/handling/feel with more practicality and refinement than the current Elise - is what will pursuade me to put my deposit down.
Oh absolutely agree, switchgear isn't much of a concern. Just interesting to see where the Geely parts bin is going to be applied.

Cold

11,337 posts

58 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
spagbogdog said:
Lotus have NO market outside of the UK.
Despite all the other nonsense in this thread, I'm surprised no one has picked up on this particular gem.