The Joy of Running an Old Shed (Vol 2)

The Joy of Running an Old Shed (Vol 2)

Author
Discussion

COM31E

2,059 posts

58 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
mibman2004 said:
COM31E said:
mibman2004 said:
Bought this a few months ago.
2007 Jaguar X Type, 163k miles, drives really well. It had no MOT at the time but it cost me £60 to put it through!
2.2d so pulls well too. Bodywork is in great condition and the wheels had also been recently powdercoated...! Absolute steal at £525!

How is the underside for grot?

I had a 2009 2.2 auto one, it threw me every single common X-Type issue. Rust, injectors, EGR, rust, boost hose, rust, turbo. Also, it rusted like it had been parked in the sea.

Shame, because it was a looker and it drove well.

The underside is fine, it’ll last a few more years at the very least. Genuinely not had any other issues with it either thankfully!
Hopefully a good 9ne, then! Best of luck

Ouroboros

1,258 posts

16 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
my understanding with the x type is the sills hide the rust, and hard to tell unless you remove them?

sutoka

4,003 posts

85 months

Tuesday 10th May
quotequote all
Ouroboros said:
my understanding with the x type is the sills hide the rust, and hard to tell unless you remove them?
Had two X-Types and one was 2003 paid £950 for it and had new outer sills welded on for £300 both sides which I thought was very cheap in 2015. Fairly reliable car did 80k miles in 4 years and passed an MOT every year until I sold it for £600.

Next one was 2004 and was very clean underneath and not one spot of rust on either sill.

The guy that did the welding on the first one told me he had done dozens of early X-Types. It seems not putting a drain hole at the back near the rear jacking point allowed water to gather and rot them out but from 2004 onwards they seemed to have sorted it

Bobstar86

36 posts

57 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
I've got a cheap Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE. Paid £600 for it with 101k on the clock, its a late 2006 on a 56 plate with cream heated leathers, touch screen nav drives fine but a bit rattly. I've been running it now since March last year and put 10k on it. Serviced it and replaced a few bits to keep it running as it should. I've swapped out some bits from a Sport model being broken for parts, so its now got a nice set of 18s on it, sport bumpers, mesh grille and the lip boot spoiler. Given it to my wife to replace her 2015 Insignia which is a bag of spanners. I also have an X-Type estate on a 57 plate which is a good old workhorse.

757

2,035 posts

88 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Joy of running an old shed, cheap eBay parts wink

£50 for new backbox on the Vectra, due to it rusting out and sounding proper council!

£15 back street garage to fit..keep on shedding! beer




aaron_2000

5,255 posts

60 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
With the Orion nearing completion to use every day, I needed a shed to run until it was. The ML had to go, insurance was more than I wanted to pay and I yet again couldn't get on with it. I bought this today for £350, it's a PD130 sport estate with the tiptronic box, 23 days MOT left and a potentially valuable private plate I can maybe sell. Plan is to use it then scrap it when the MOT is out as scrap will more than pay for the car. I messaged within 50 seconds of the ad going up and already he had 20 other messages, I could get there first so he sold it to me. No idea how it drives, I just know it runs and moves. I'll post some pics when I collect it tomorrow


v15ben

15,415 posts

218 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I think you're buying more sheds than anyone on the thread, even Bearman, at the minute. hehe

aaron_2000

5,255 posts

60 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
v15ben said:
I think you're buying more sheds than anyone on the thread, even Bearman, at the minute. hehe
I've found it impossible to get on with anything atm, I just can't find anything I'm happy with at all. The Golf should do me well until the Orion is fully sorted, I am looking forward to the fuel economy and poke of a PD130 again

ferrisbueller

27,743 posts

204 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I think you need to get the plate off while the MOT is valid?

JeremyH5

1,097 posts

112 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
757 said:
Joy of running an old shed, cheap eBay parts wink

£50 for new backbox on the Vectra, due to it rusting out and sounding proper council!

£15 back street garage to fit..keep on shedding! beer

What make of snow foam have you used there?





laugh

aaron_2000

5,255 posts

60 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
ferrisbueller said:
I think you need to get the plate off while the MOT is valid?
Not sure but I have seen it takes 4-6 weeks so I'll likely just leave it on when I scrap it

TedStriker

107 posts

19 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
With the Orion nearing completion to use every day, I needed a shed to run until it was. The ML had to go, insurance was more than I wanted to pay and I yet again couldn't get on with it. I bought this today for £350, it's a PD130 sport estate with the tiptronic box, 23 days MOT left and a potentially valuable private plate I can maybe sell. Plan is to use it then scrap it when the MOT is out as scrap will more than pay for the car. I messaged within 50 seconds of the ad going up and already he had 20 other messages, I could get there first so he sold it to me. No idea how it drives, I just know it runs and moves. I'll post some pics when I collect it tomorrow
I wouldn't be so quick to scrap it - the PD130 estate is a rare beast. Looks like it has the PD150 alloys too. Could be worth quite a lot if it's in reasonable condition.

aaron_2000

5,255 posts

60 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
TedStriker said:
I wouldn't be so quick to scrap it - the PD130 estate is a rare beast. Looks like it has the PD150 alloys too. Could be worth quite a lot if it's in reasonable condition.
It's a factory sport, shame it's a tiptronic though. I am gonna take it for a pre MOT and see what they say. I will offer it on the MK4 owners club beforehand in case anyone there has a use for it, should be a good workhorse in the meantime though.

Daveb257

779 posts

116 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
ferrisbueller said:
I think you need to get the plate off while the MOT is valid?
Not sure but I have seen it takes 4-6 weeks so I'll likely just leave it on when I scrap it
If/when you have the V5 back (in your name) you should be able to do it online instantly unless there is any period in last (I think) 5 years when car was not taxed or sorn’d

aaron_2000

5,255 posts

60 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Daveb257 said:
If/when you have the V5 back (in your name) you should be able to do it online instantly unless there is any period in last (I think) 5 years when car was not taxed or sorn’d
I think you can't sell or scrap the car for 4-6 weeks until the retention certificate arrives though. If the pre MOT shows it's gonna pass then I may just do that

ferrisbueller

27,743 posts

204 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Last time i did it the retention slip turned up in a lot less than 4 weeks iirc

757

2,035 posts

88 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
JeremyH5 said:
757 said:
Joy of running an old shed, cheap eBay parts wink

£50 for new backbox on the Vectra, due to it rusting out and sounding proper council!

£15 back street garage to fit..keep on shedding! beer

What make of snow foam have you used there?





laugh
Nature's best biggrin

magpie215

3,923 posts

166 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
lord trumpton said:
damage sorted asap.


20seconds with a sharpie

james6546

503 posts

28 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
R36vw said:
Ive dipped back into the market for a shed as a filler awaiting my company car delayed until Autumn. My current car has just gone back. It was a lease and I wasnt prepared to pickup the major service,mot and tyres that it was soon to need. After fastidiously going through all the usual classifieds, different models(didnt really care what it was providing it was less than £1500, I was struggling with how mamy were rotters out there. Well I picked one up last week after coinciding with the PH shed of the week(saw the post after I had bought mine. For £1085 fsh, tyres in good nick and only 1 thing not working(heated seat) 108k miles. Got the train and drove 170miles back from norfolk to Hampshire. I forgot how much fun cars like these can be. Roof down for the summer and wondering whether I will offload it when time comes
Nice.

My sister drove my 9-3 Estate last week for the first time as she managed to lock her keys in her car so had to go and get the spare. She was actually surprised how nice it was to drive and how fun it was.

My wife still hates it though as something else breaks every time she drives it and the people at her work laugh at her as it only runs on 5 cylinders when it's cold!

757

2,035 posts

88 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Any love for the shed Vectra interior?



I kind of think it's ok, in a utilitarian/simple no fuss way perfect for "a do it all hack."

Dated by today's standards but it is not a too bad a place to spend my countless hours on the motorway, certainly less creaky than my SAAB 9-3 I had.