The Joy of Running an Old Shed (Vol 2)

The Joy of Running an Old Shed (Vol 2)

Author
Discussion

aaron_2000

5,255 posts

60 months

Thursday 14th October 2021
quotequote all
I never pay attention to mileage on a cheap car as long as it's decent enough. If a car can get to 220k then clearly it's been somewhat maintained

anonymous-user

31 months

Thursday 14th October 2021
quotequote all
Justatwist said:
How high mileage do you consider too high when purchasing a shed?
My previous 1.9tdi Fabia was on 180k when I bought it. It had plenty of history and ran very well. I sold it on after a few months as it became surplus to requirements but, a quick MOT check shows it racked up 35k miles in the following year and is still going strong.
My V70 2.0T is on 159k.

carinaman

18,572 posts

149 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
bearman68 said:
Xsara Picasso is where it's at folks. 2.0 Hdi, with a power map. Not too bad at all.
Is that the first one box sea monster shape one or the second square shaped two box shape one?

B'stard Child

24,159 posts

223 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
sgtbash said:
Currently, in love with my Vauxhall Insignia biggrin

Costs me nothing to run, cost pretty much nothing in the first place, and I don't care about it being dinged in car parks or left in rough areas.

The boot is cavernous, it even has Bluetooth. What more could a man need laugh
Oil Burner? If it is the 50p seal in the sump can kill an engine really quickly when it gets old and brittle

If petrol happy days

mercedeslimos

1,362 posts

146 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
I never pay attention to mileage on a cheap car as long as it's decent enough. If a car can get to 220k then clearly it's been somewhat maintained
Mondeo now on 222k, Feb 2011 car, bought at 182k in Dec 2019. According to my tracker app, that's 57 miles a day. Cost per mile €0.3277 (32.77 cent/mile) which includes purchase price, tax, insurance, roadworthiness test costs, tyres, services, any repair costs and a few mods here and there (new set of summer wheels, extra set of winter wheels, new leather interior, new headlamps, bulbs, new mats etc.) Far beyond the point now that the fuel cost has outweighed the purchase price.

Haven't put in the stuff I just ordered but new shocks all around on the way, along with new top mounts all around, new polyurethane trailing arm bushes and some H&R lowering springs. That will bump the cost by another €600 but the original stuff is all worn and baggy so it deserves it after that mileage, plus we plan to keep it.

bearman68

3,781 posts

109 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
carinaman said:
Is that the first one box sea monster shape one or the second square shaped two box shape one?
It's the one birthed of ugly parents, living in Uglytown, and given regular beatings with an ugly stick.

The one box shape from 2001 to 2007 ish. They are surprisingly tough and reliable, but as well as hurting your eyes to look at, they are slower than any ugly thing should be.
But the 2.0 hdi engine is excellent - tough smooth frugal. 6 or 7 of ours in this ilk have passed 300k without issues. Marvellous things.

Challo

7,844 posts

132 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
bearman68 said:
carinaman said:
Is that the first one box sea monster shape one or the second square shaped two box shape one?
It's the one birthed of ugly parents, living in Uglytown, and given regular beatings with an ugly stick.

The one box shape from 2001 to 2007 ish. They are surprisingly tough and reliable, but as well as hurting your eyes to look at, they are slower than any ugly thing should be.
But the 2.0 hdi engine is excellent - tough smooth frugal. 6 or 7 of ours in this ilk have passed 300k without issues. Marvellous things.
They often got bought in horrible colours (beige, sky blue, light green) and driven by people who couldn't careless. Didn't help their image.

Bill

47,911 posts

232 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
In for Vol 2 as wife's Mazda6 "Katano"* is firmly in shed territory even without the various dings and scrapes. We bought it 3 years ago on 75k for £1800 and it's now on 95kish. It has only needed a couple of sensors and a brake caliper in that time. The seats aren't great but it's not bad to drive. No idea about economy, soz, never bothered checking. biggrin



*Twin exhausts and a spoiler, get her!

Justatwist

66 posts

139 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
I’ve seen the 2.0 hdi engine mentioned a few times in this thread. Is it the one in Citroen’s/Peugeot’s around 2007/2008 ish? Are they reliable enough for a daily 40 mile round trip commute on motorways?

anarki

654 posts

113 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
Daveb257 said:
irish boy said:
In for volume 2.
And me, nothing to report although a radio change on the Yaris is in the diary
Same here, watching the new volume with nothing to report on my shed, other than the alternator belt is a bit squealy so I'll replace it soon.

Joey Deacon

5,394 posts

153 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
Megane shed MOT expires at the end of the month and a previous owner fitted an HID kit and LED side lights to the front. I know the MOT rules have changed now so I thought I would just rip it out and replace it with standard bulbs and not take the risk.

Obviously being a Megane the bumper has to come off if you want any sort of access to the back of the lights.

Luckily they had made a decent job of it and left all the original wiring in place as well. Also quite nice to see all the original date stickers on the radiators so I assume it has not had a frontal smack in the past.



chopper602

1,923 posts

200 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
After selling my Giulia Veloce for very strong money and settling the finance, I was left with using my old 2cv for the commute or the 2010 Twingo that the kids tend to use. Heading for winter and the thought of salted roads has had me look for something more suitable. I've had a good look around Facebook marketplace, eBay and AutoTrader and nothing standing out.
A work colleague told me of a neighbour that was considering getting rid of his elderly C class Mercedes, so a deal has been done and I'll pick it up tomorrow - 2003 MB C200 Classic Kompressor in absolutely immaculate condition, only 77k miles. Tested until end of December, but I'll get another ticket on it before then to check it totally over. I used to run sheds but this one is at the other end of the shed spectrum!

Edited by chopper602 on Monday 18th October 17:21

Arnold Cunningham

2,434 posts

230 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
TBH I think wintering in a 2CV would be super cool - although I imagine they are a bit chilly and need deicing on the inside of the screen as well as the outside? Not really shed territory any more though.

M1C

1,407 posts

88 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
Challo said:
bearman68 said:
carinaman said:
Is that the first one box sea monster shape one or the second square shaped two box shape one?
It's the one birthed of ugly parents, living in Uglytown, and given regular beatings with an ugly stick.

The one box shape from 2001 to 2007 ish. They are surprisingly tough and reliable, but as well as hurting your eyes to look at, they are slower than any ugly thing should be.
But the 2.0 hdi engine is excellent - tough smooth frugal. 6 or 7 of ours in this ilk have passed 300k without issues. Marvellous things.
They often got bought in horrible colours (beige, sky blue, light green) and driven by people who couldn't careless. Didn't help their image.
I think the ones you are talking about are the Xsara Picasso which was the egg shaped one, and then the C3 Picasso which was the rounded box one.

I've owned both of these and they were both great in terms of practicality. The Xsara Picasso is well inside shed territory now and C3 Picasso is approaching it.

The 2.0 HDi as mentioned is highly regarded. In 90ps it's a reliable workhorse of an engine, if a bit of a plodder. 40-45mpg realistically IMO in general use (although 55mpg + in very careful longer drives) Rear 3 seats come out completely to leave a MASSIVE load bay, effectively a van. Car is a bit quicker too with these seats out, which is sometimes how i left it. Downside is you need to somewhere to put the seats, shed/garage etc.

Chassis is (bear with me) actually good! When you push on, you can feel the relationship to the Xsara/306, a bit. There's a gallic flair there, somewhere. However. It's let down but the very twirly whirly steering which totally takes the edge off and numbs the reactions, as well as the car sitting higher up and feeling a bit ponderous - and the usual unhelpful There's a good chassis there...but it's quite hard to find and exploit.

The C3 Picasso is a similar external size to the XPIC - and has as much or more cabin space due to the very upright sides (the sides of the XPIC kinda curve inwards at the top). SO for the interior, that's great. Very good space front and rear.
However, in doing this, the boot is smaller both with seats up and seats down. Also, the seats can't be taken out. So whilst they do fold into the floor nicely, you aren't left with that HUGE load bay like on the XPIC.

1.6 hdi (90) to me was a good engine. It hasn't got the reputation for reliability of the older 2.0 but it's a nice engine to use, more flexible, quicker (to me) despite similar figures, and generally a good 5-7mpg more economical like for like. The car in general is more refined than the XPIC which you'd expect of a newer model.

Both cars suffered heavily from the Motability and/or grandad image, as thats who mainly bought them and were as mentioned available in some truly depressing colours. My C3 Picasso was metallic beige, for example.

However - for me - both cars were great. I'd have another of either without much quibble.

BUT - not unless i have to - i currently have a 2008 Ford S-Max....and it's a great car - although a fair chunk bigger than either.

Joey Deacon

5,394 posts

153 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
Don't the Uncle Bryn/Ronnie Pickering shape Picassos suffer from terrible rust on the sills and are mostly all scrapped now?


M1C

1,407 posts

88 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
Yes. This is where they go and often a major reason for them retiring to the scrapyard in the sky.

waynecyclist

3,458 posts

91 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
I never pay attention to mileage on a cheap car as long as it's decent enough. If a car can get to 220k then clearly it's been somewhat maintained
^^This, my 58 plate Civic is on 146k, drives fine and if I am honest it does not feel like it has done the miles it has.

anonymous-user

31 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
Joey Deacon said:
Megane shed MOT expires at the end of the month and a previous owner fitted an HID kit and LED side lights to the front. I know the MOT rules have changed now so I thought I would just rip it out and replace it with standard bulbs and not take the risk.

Obviously being a Megane the bumper has to come off if you want any sort of access to the back of the lights.

Luckily they had made a decent job of it and left all the original wiring in place as well. Also quite nice to see all the original date stickers on the radiators so I assume it has not had a frontal smack in the past.

If your Megane has projector headlamps, you'd have been fine - if not, thats a wise move.

sgtbash

620 posts

113 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
B'stard Child said:
Oil Burner? If it is the 50p seal in the sump can kill an engine really quickly when it gets old and brittle

If petrol happy days
Aye, it is. The job is £350 with a new oil pump. Not worth it for what I paid. I'll over fill the oil and take my chances eeklaugh

ghost83

4,905 posts

167 months

Friday 15th October 2021
quotequote all
Well my shed insignia elite is back and is wonderful!

So wonderful in fact my dad wants it! This is a guy that’s used to driving around in his Range Rover sport!

He picked the insignia up today for me and is mightily impressed