RE: Aston Martin Vantage V600 Le Mans | Spotted

RE: Aston Martin Vantage V600 Le Mans | Spotted

Author
Discussion

Charlie_1

268 posts

63 months

Thursday
quotequote all
oddly even with that weird interior I quite like that

Turbobanana

3,436 posts

172 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Benmac said:
Some sort of test day was running for mainly race minis and a couple of formula Fords. The manic scream of the A series and CVHs were interesting but they certainly weren't what I'd heard.
Formula Ford used Kent engines. CVH would have been Formula First. getmecoat

Harrypop

2,291 posts

93 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Why would anybody buy this when you could buy a Ford Puma, a silo, a piece of Concorde and two Alpacas whilst still leaving plenty of money left over for Sherbert Dib Dabs?

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-spottedykywt/f...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142421544150?hash=item2...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154683406570?hash=item2...

https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/121202431/...

Edited by Harrypop on Thursday 25th November 15:07

Six Potter

5,610 posts

184 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Harrypop said:
Why would anybody buy this when you could buy a Ford Puma, a silo, a piece of Concorde and two Alpacas whilst still leaving plenty of money left over for Sherbert Dib Dabs?

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-spottedykywt/f...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142421544150?hash=item2...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154683406570?hash=item2...

https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/121202431/...

Edited by Harrypop on Thursday 25th November 15:07
Er, that's quite the random assortment, nice. The answer seems to be, because none of those items are a rare, 600 horse, manual 'box Aston Martin. Unless I'm missing something?

V8LM

Original Poster:

5,073 posts

180 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Six Potter said:
The answer seems to be, because none of those items are a rare, 600 horse, manual 'box Aston Martin. Unless I'm missing something?
Neither was the Le Mans in this thread at one point. It has since been converted back to a manual.

waynecyclist

2,104 posts

85 months

Thursday
quotequote all
V8LM said:
Six Potter said:
The answer seems to be, because none of those items are a rare, 600 horse, manual 'box Aston Martin. Unless I'm missing something?
Neither was the Le Mans in this thread at one point. It has since been converted back to a manual.
It says in the advert It was delivered from new in the ultimate V600 specification package including a close-ratio 5 speed gearbox, is that not the case then

gred

367 posts

140 months

Thursday
quotequote all
waynecyclist said:
It says in the advert It was delivered from new in the ultimate V600 specification package including a close-ratio 5 speed gearbox, is that not the case then
A friend had a 550 which Works Service converted to V600 spec and it had the five speed box. He also had one of the super rare V600 convertibles which came with a six speed box from the factory.

sean ie3

434 posts

107 months

Thursday
quotequote all
I do like this car in profile and from the rear, from the front it looks similar to the Allegro prototype I've just seen on James May's cars, and just one thing MPG must be available and the size of the fuel tank is a number I'd like to know, having to stop every hour to fuel does not scream luxury to me. smile

RudeDog

1,572 posts

145 months

Thursday
quotequote all
I used to love these when they were new but looking hard at the pictures now, I realise that these are pretty much kit cars. The lack of cohesion between panels and the poorly fitting exhausts make me think that £500k could be much better spent elsewhere.

V8LM

Original Poster:

5,073 posts

180 months

Thursday
quotequote all
waynecyclist said:
V8LM said:
Six Potter said:
The answer seems to be, because none of those items are a rare, 600 horse, manual 'box Aston Martin. Unless I'm missing something?
Neither was the Le Mans in this thread at one point. It has since been converted back to a manual.
It says in the advert It was delivered from new in the ultimate V600 specification package including a close-ratio 5 speed gearbox, is that not the case then
It was shortly converted to auto, and then converted back for sale. The original gear knob was not available when converted back, hence different in this car. This is the original style:



ETA: It was originally for sale as an auto with the manual box to be provided alongside.


Edited by V8LM on Thursday 25th November 16:42

V8LM

Original Poster:

5,073 posts

180 months

Thursday
quotequote all
gred said:
waynecyclist said:
It says in the advert It was delivered from new in the ultimate V600 specification package including a close-ratio 5 speed gearbox, is that not the case then
A friend had a 550 which Works Service converted to V600 spec and it had the five speed box. He also had one of the super rare V600 convertibles which came with a six speed box from the factory.
V8 Vantage Volante Special Edition. thumbup

The 5 speed conversation in the V600 is actually the same 6 speed ZF box with sixth blanked off and a longer diff added. This reduced the 0 - 60 time for the V600 to 3.9 seconds, mainly because the car can do 62 mph in first gear.

GTRene

12,620 posts

195 months

Thursday
quotequote all
They do look a bit strange/odd, not so pretty, but with such good/strong heart, they look prettier to the heart. thumbup

Davey S2

12,739 posts

225 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Steering wheel is from a Lincoln I think.

V8LM

Original Poster:

5,073 posts

180 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Davey S2 said:
Steering wheel is from a Lincoln I think.
Yup (without the buttons).

smilo996

1,833 posts

141 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Definitely not subtle but I suppose that is part of the charm. That snorting pig front grill though, difficult to get past that. Perhaps 600BHP helps in that.

biggbn

11,507 posts

191 months

Thursday
quotequote all
What a horrible looking car, not for me, even in a fantasy land where I could afford it. Glad it exists though!!

markcoznottz

7,012 posts

195 months

Thursday
quotequote all
V8LM said:
gred said:
waynecyclist said:
It says in the advert It was delivered from new in the ultimate V600 specification package including a close-ratio 5 speed gearbox, is that not the case then
A friend had a 550 which Works Service converted to V600 spec and it had the five speed box. He also had one of the super rare V600 convertibles which came with a six speed box from the factory.
V8 Vantage Volante Special Edition. thumbup

The 5 speed conversation in the V600 is actually the same 6 speed ZF box with sixth blanked off and a longer diff added. This reduced the 0 - 60 time for the V600 to 3.9 seconds, mainly because the car can do 62 mph in first gear.
You have to admire the ingenuity to make something out of nothing. Far cheaper to change the diff rather than the box. Back when 0-60 actually meant something.

V8LM

Original Poster:

5,073 posts

180 months

Thursday
quotequote all
markcoznottz said:
You have to admire the ingenuity to make something out of nothing. Far cheaper to change the diff rather than the box. Back when 0-60 actually meant something.
True. The V600 changed from 3.54 to 3.31.

The very first cars were 3.77, which were a handful to say the least

V41LEY

2,680 posts

209 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Weren’t the Virages (not the specials) banging around at £20k back in the early noughties ? Recollect looking at them back then and thinking they were great value. No one seem to want them
back then.

V8LM

Original Poster:

5,073 posts

180 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Yes, but there is a World of difference between a Virage and a Vantage. Completely different cars.