RE: All-new Range Rover Sport revealed

RE: All-new Range Rover Sport revealed

Author
Discussion

GroundEffect

12,667 posts

133 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
This forum has no shame. Big stupid "sporty" SUVs are the mark of the gormless idiots of Cheshire when they're anything else, but if they're from JLR they lovely.

RichieRhubarb

3 posts

29 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
FtypeRmeister said:
Looks good to me. Never cease to be disappointed by comments that highlight Land Rover reliability having run Range Rovers since 1987 without any significant issues. Unlike 6 Porsches and 4 Mercedes. The British people building these cars generally do a good job and we could give them and the designers our support. I find our current FFRR a bit big, so hopefully this Sport will fit in the UK a bit more easily!
Exactly. I’ve had a Range Rover TDV8 2010 for a few years now and have done over 90k in it with no issues apart from a replacement alternator. Now done 200,000kms without any dramas. Same with my Defender. Have had a Disco 3 which was a lemon, but that applies to most brands (look at Toyota Land Cruiser drive train issues!) but the build quality, technology, cabin comfort, design and creativity that comes out of Land Rover continues to see them as class leaders. Looks great this new model and will look good in whatever colour scheme works for you.

Tomanybikes

172 posts

3 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
rbozza said:
I’ve always shared the ‘new money’ sentiment of a new rrs on finance and never been interested in them.

But i might actually get one if these! The tax breaks of buying the PHEV through a business mean you’re getting it for half price. Especially when corp tax goes up to 25% next April.

Regardless of the image it looks lovely to my eyes. 70 miles on a charge will cover 90% of its driving. Perfect for the school run- gosh I’m falling in to every cliche going and it goes against all my morals!!
Could you give some workings of the half price RRS?

Spleen

4,658 posts

98 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Mikebentley said:
They have sold over 1 million so far so clearly folk want them.
And every single one of them are tossers apparently.

nickfrog

16,764 posts

194 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Spleen said:
Mikebentley said:
They have sold over 1 million so far so clearly folk want them.
And every single one of them are tossers apparently.
And it probably means 236 million pairs of white socks over their lifetime.

Cobnapint

7,923 posts

128 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
nickfrog said:
And it probably means 236 million pairs of white socks over their lifetime.
And gold chains

And AA memberships

Tomanybikes

172 posts

3 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Cobnapint said:
nickfrog said:
And it probably means 236 million pairs of white socks over their lifetime.
And gold chains

And AA memberships
Lots of binary thinking and sweeping generalisations on these posts, ducks for low flying parrots. wink

nickfrog

16,764 posts

194 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Cobnapint said:
nickfrog said:
And it probably means 236 million pairs of white socks over their lifetime.
And gold chains

And AA memberships
And loads of stereotypes + bitterness from onlookers laugh

Cobnapint

7,923 posts

128 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
nickfrog said:
And loads of stereotypes + bitterness from onlookers laugh
Sympathy...

fortfive

67 posts

36 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
nickfrog said:
It is. The heavier the more Co2 so the higher the tax.
Bentley are now lobbying the EU to raise drivers license limits from 3.5 tonnes.....their cars and SUV's are close to the current limit.

Tivo

38 posts

126 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I really like it. Over the last 15 years I have had a Freelander 2, L320 Range Rover Sport, L322 Range Rover, L405 Range Rover and a Velar. Lots of miles, hard use and off road. One compressor and one steering rack replaced from that lot on top of regular servicing. You can argue I've been lucky but you can say that of any brand. Plenty of cars out there which haven't been looked after properly and owners who can't afford to fix it when something significant goes wrong. D350 vs P400 would be my primary choice to make. Either would be lovely.

Al Gorithum

1,897 posts

185 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I prefer the F pace R400

Vinnievx7

1 posts

23 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
FtypeRmeister said:
Looks good to me. Never cease to be disappointed by comments that highlight Land Rover reliability having run Range Rovers since 1987 without any significant issues. Unlike 6 Porsches and 4 Mercedes. The British people building these cars generally do a good job and we could give them and the designers our support. I find our current FFRR a bit big, so hopefully this Sport will fit in the UK a bit more easily!
Congratulations on your success. I've run Defenders, Disco's and Range Rovers until 2011 when I looked myself in the mirror and asked myself why I put up with them. I've never had to replace an engine or a gearbox in any vehicle that didn't have "Rover" somewhere in it's name. I have had to replace one or the other and sometimes more than once in every "Rover" I have owned, no exceptions.

In place of a Disco for towing I now use a 20 yr old Transit van which has been all over Europe loaded and with a box trailer. 200k on the clock, it's less pampered than its predecessors and keeps coming back for more. Owes me nothing



Tomanybikes

172 posts

3 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Vinnievx7 said:
FtypeRmeister said:
Looks good to me. Never cease to be disappointed by comments that highlight Land Rover reliability having run Range Rovers since 1987 without any significant issues. Unlike 6 Porsches and 4 Mercedes. The British people building these cars generally do a good job and we could give them and the designers our support. I find our current FFRR a bit big, so hopefully this Sport will fit in the UK a bit more easily!
Congratulations on your success. I've run Defenders, Disco's and Range Rovers until 2011 when I looked myself in the mirror and asked myself why I put up with them. I've never had to replace an engine or a gearbox in any vehicle that didn't have "Rover" somewhere in it's name. I have had to replace one or the other and sometimes more than once in every "Rover" I have owned, no exceptions.

In place of a Disco for towing I now use a 20 yr old Transit van which has been all over Europe loaded and with a box trailer. 200k on the clock, it's less pampered than its predecessors and keeps coming back for more. Owes me nothing
And it probably has the same engine!

ecs0set

2,312 posts

261 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Vinnievx7 said:
I now use a 20 yr old Transit van which has been all over Europe loaded and with a box trailer. 200k on the clock, it's less pampered than its predecessors and keeps coming back for more. Owes me nothing
And this is your proposed alternative to a new Range Rover Sport? A 20 yr old Transit van and a box trailer? Tempting... scratchchin

Tell me, does it still work if you have a penchant for white socks and crane kicks?

Bobajobbob

1,095 posts

73 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
ecs0set said:
And this is your proposed alternative to a new Range Rover Sport? A 20 yr old Transit van and a box trailer? Tempting... scratchchin
Coleen will be over the moon when Wayne pulls up in that for her birthday smile

LargeRed

1,570 posts

25 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Gerry McGovern has designed another 'jelly mould' car

oop north

1,410 posts

105 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Tomanybikes said:
rbozza said:
I’ve always shared the ‘new money’ sentiment of a new rrs on finance and never been interested in them.

But i might actually get one if these! The tax breaks of buying the PHEV through a business mean you’re getting it for half price. Especially when corp tax goes up to 25% next April.

Regardless of the image it looks lovely to my eyes. 70 miles on a charge will cover 90% of its driving. Perfect for the school run- gosh I’m falling in to every cliche going and it goes against all my morals!!
Could you give some workings of the half price RRS?
I don’t think it quite works out as half price. But current tax rates for next couple of years would be 5% bik if 70 miles EV range is possible (69 miles means 8%).

But in essence get full offset against corporation tax for all depreciation and running costs. Assuming total taxable income is within the £50k-£100k band then dividend tax is payable at 33.75% on dividends. Before you get there the corp tax (assuming profits over £50k) rate from next April is 25% (profit over £250k) or 26.5% (profit 50-250)

So assume list is £100k, car is bought with support of a loan, not contract hire, and it costs £30k in depreciation and repairs and tyres and borrowing costs. The dividends foregone are £30k x 75% for corp tax (or 73.5%) then x 64.25% for div tax. That reduces the £30k down to just under £15k. Hence the claimed halving. But you have income tax at 40% on £100k list x 5% (if manages 70 miles EV range) for 3 years so that is £6k tax to add.

Plus employer’s nic 15.05% on £100k x 5% x 3 years less corp tax relief less div tax avoided (am losing the Will to live at this point) at a guess around another £1k or so total to add is £7k for tax.

So £30k down to £15k plus £7k giving £22k cost through company so a saving of around £8k overall. Hope I got the maths right…

Anyway it’s a useful saving. The higher the depreciation etc costs then the more the saving - £30k may well be too low. So an additional £10k cost, say, (total £40k) would add post tax cost of roughly £5k or a bit less and cost you a net £5k with no additional bik or nic liability. None of that allows for vat reclaim on tyres, repairs and maintenance - full vat is recoverable on those

Should add if bik percentage rate rises above 5% then the benefit is reduced…

rallycross

11,617 posts

214 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Bobajobbob said:
ecs0set said:
And this is your proposed alternative to a new Range Rover Sport? A 20 yr old Transit van and a box trailer? Tempting... scratchchin
Coleen will be over the moon when Wayne pulls up in that for her birthday smile
That pair would look 100% at home in a battered old transit ( with rathkeale plates).


ajap1979

5,733 posts

164 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Who are Coleen and Wayne?