RE: Alfa Romeo 159 | Shed of the Week

RE: Alfa Romeo 159 | Shed of the Week

Author
Discussion

davebem

716 posts

154 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I had one of these for a few years and really miss it, I cant really explain why. One of the most comfortable cars I had and it had the best climate control of any car Ive ever owned.

Maccmike8

551 posts

31 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Front on they look great, every other angle they look unfinished.

Dog Star

13,952 posts

145 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Maccmike8 said:
Front on they look great, every other angle they look unfinished.
It’s why I think the estates look so much better.

Fessia fancier

685 posts

160 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
honevo]pa1975 said:
It is a 16 year old Alfa Romeo, not noted for being reliable when new, yes it is shed money but with so many better mainstream choices available why bother.

Wayne - you'll never understand...those of us who love our Alfas would avoid 'mainstream' if possible
I had a 2.0 156 from new up to almost 200k and never let me down
I now have a 166 2.0 TS which is just a joy
I prefer driving it to my other cars
I completely agree with this


Ledzep

22 posts

120 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Had a new 2.4 diesel, one of 20 Alfas that I’ve had over the years. Looked great, these cars still look good. Not much leg room in the back. Quick cross-country driver and reasonably economical. However I could never forgive it for the rattly noise upon startup, most un-Alfa. Later Stelvio diesel sounded more acceptable. But I’m a Alfa petrol head through and through.

Boringvolvodriver

6,735 posts

20 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Have to be petrol for me - somehow and Alfa and diesel (no matter how good) are not a good fit.

I still like the looks of the 159 estate

wpa1975

3,458 posts

91 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Fessia fancier said:
honevo]pa1975 said:
It is a 16 year old Alfa Romeo, not noted for being reliable when new, yes it is shed money but with so many better mainstream choices available why bother.

Wayne - you'll never understand...those of us who love our Alfas would avoid 'mainstream' if possible
I had a 2.0 156 from new up to almost 200k and never let me down
I now have a 166 2.0 TS which is just a joy
I prefer driving it to my other cars
I completely agree with this
Shame you ignored my reply, people seem to miss the point a petrolhead / enthusiast is not going to buy a ex rep diesel but would spend more to get a top spec petrol.

Also spending shed money on this makes little or no sense so many better, cheaper to run and more reliable choices available.

MikeM6

4,042 posts

79 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
wpa1975 said:
Dog Star said:
wpa1975 said:
Being an Alfa plus lack of spares, diesels have issues with ECU failure plus many other issues.
This thread is the first I’ve heard of ECU failures. What are the other numerous issues over what you’d see on any vehicle?
It is a 16 year old Alfa Romeo, not noted for being reliable when new, yes it is shed money but with so many better mainstream choices available why bother.
Nonsense, they are reliable. Very few options that are better for the money.

Alfas are really good cars, the dealers were exceptionally poor and the perception was poor, but honestly, they are not unreliable.

robsco

7,395 posts

153 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I’ve got to be honest, I’m a huge Alfa fan, but always felt the 159/Brera/Spiders were utter dross. Miserable engines (2.4 JTD aside) mated to baulky gearboxes hauling along far too much weight.

The 156/147 era cars were “quaint”, but they were nimble and the engines fizzed and felt far more exotic than they had any right to. It was therefore very easy to forgive them their shortcomings, not something that could be extended to the later cars.

Mr Tidy

17,124 posts

104 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Well it's a more interesting Shed than the last few!

If I had any need of a diesel I might be tempted despite the boot damage, but I just don't do enough miles these days. Maybe I'm just a sucker for red leather, although 150bhp does seem a bit poor lack-lustre for an Alfa. I bought a 123d in 2008 that had 201bhp.

While I realise the petrols, especially the V6, the 2.4 diesel and 1750 TBi are the ones to have they are never going to fall into Shed territory!

Good luck to whoever buys it. thumbup




BVB

940 posts

130 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
To the editor.
The timing belt runs the water pump. The water pump doesn't have a separate belt.
Some people cost save (£40) by not changing the waterpump on belt changes. Some early model waterpumps fail and seize, snapping the timing belt.
Definitely a false economy not to change the pump at belt changes. Its common practice on many cars.

humphra

354 posts

69 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
wpa1975 said:
Dog Star said:
wpa1975 said:
Being an Alfa plus lack of spares, diesels have issues with ECU failure plus many other issues.
This thread is the first I’ve heard of ECU failures. What are the other numerous issues over what you’d see on any vehicle?
It is a 16 year old Alfa Romeo, not noted for being reliable when new, yes it is shed money but with so many better mainstream choices available why bother.
Fun sponge.

Maybe not everyone wants the mainstream choice?

Rob 131 Sport

1,002 posts

29 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
the-norseman said:
I really wanted a red V6 estate in Ti trim but Alfa UK told me they didn't sell many in that spec in that colour. Then I realised the V6 wasn't a Busso either.

Settled for a cheap SAAB V6 estate in the end, as the Alfa's were commanding bigger money.
That’s because Alfa’s are super desirable and great cars. Saab’s are the polar opposite and that’s why there cheap.

Alfa 159’s understandably hold their price extremely well.

Mouse Rat

1,410 posts

69 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
The best looking 4 door and estate ever made.
They are excellent to drive.
Cheap run around money, but not to run.

Cobalteer

11 posts

101 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Dog Star said:
I like these a lot; I bought this …



… a few months ago. 11 plate 2.0 JTDm with 130k on it. Lusso with tan leather. £3k. It’s our shopping/tow car so it was meant to be just something to hack around in, park at the shops etc but it’s just such a nice looking and driving car it’s become my little hobby; had the wheels powder coated, Michelin Crossclimates, loads of fettling and replacement of sensors, towbar, CarPlay head unit, resprayed front end and machine polish, new arb links front and rear and new discs all round. In retrospect I could have just bought a sorted C class estate, but I have to say that these 159s look so amazing (especially the estate) that front end, the stubby shape with the bulging arches yum

It does have a few cosmetic issues though - scabby (waxoyled) subframes (I’m keeping my eye on them), dinks and little scratches (bright red is very forgiving though) and the odd bit of rust which I’m working my way through.
Good choice! I have a Brera V6 Cat C bought for the princely sum of £2k three years ago. It’s passed three MOTs since despite no work other than oil changes. I have voluntarily changed a leaky radiator and got the local C air con man to change the compressor whilst he front was off for the full-on super cool experience. Horrendous mpg and expensive tax but I’m proud of her and look back as I walk away. Great shed (Italian red leather ffs) fully in the spirit of a sporting bargain.

the-norseman

9,291 posts

148 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Rob 131 Sport said:
That’s because Alfa’s are super desirable and great cars. Saab’s are the polar opposite and that’s why there cheap.

Alfa 159’s understandably hold their price extremely well.
The SAAB has been great though to be honest! Only planned to keep it for a few weeks, approaching 2 years now and its needed nothing other than tyres and rear control arms at 123k I dont think thats bad.

Still yet to see a red Ti V6 Sportwagon come up for sale.

DDW

1 posts

59 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Had a 159 2.4 Lusso after 3 156,s it was fantastic except it wouldn’t do more than 36mpg even if you drove it like the pope. As a long distance car it was brilliant with fantastic seats and a brilliant sound system

Dog Star

13,952 posts

145 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
DDW said:
Had a 159 2.4 Lusso after 3 156,s it was fantastic except it wouldn’t do more than 36mpg even if you drove it like the pope. As a long distance car it was brilliant with fantastic seats and a brilliant sound system
Our other two cars are 3.5 litre V6 petrol Mercs - the 159 2.0 diesel isn’t so much more economical that you’d use it for a long trip. It tends to get chosen based on luggage/parking/is it raining.

It’s strangely crap on fuel - low 40s at best.

It’s very pretty though.

Fessia fancier

685 posts

160 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
wpa1975 said:
Shame you ignored my reply, people seem to miss the point a petrolhead / enthusiast is not going to buy a ex rep diesel but would spend more to get a top spec petrol.

Also spending shed money on this makes little or no sense so many better, cheaper to run and more reliable choices available.
Apologies I did miss that


caribman10

1 posts

1 month

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Bit of corporate arrogance in calling this vanilla tin-top a "159", methinks. Kind of like Dodge calling that econobox from decades ago a "Charger".