RE: 2022 Nissan Ariya | PH Review

RE: 2022 Nissan Ariya | PH Review

Author
Discussion

ajap1979

6,150 posts

168 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
Why are bloody electric cars so expensive?! This model isn't even fast.
Just to add some perspective, what new ICE SUV offering similar size, practicality, equipment and performance would you compare it to? I had thought the new Kia Sportage, it’s a very similar size, but you can spend low-40s and still not achieve the same performance the base Ariya has. Base Touareg offers similar performance, but is a bit bigger and £8k more with less standard kit.

Just interested to know what the barometer for value is?

Clivey

5,008 posts

185 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
ajap1979 said:
Checks garage. Was honestly expecting you to have something much more “interesting” than a junior BMW and some farm machinery laugh
Hey, I like farm machinery! laugh It’s got much more character than any electric blob thing.




cerb4.5lee

23,920 posts

161 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
ajap1979 said:
cerb4.5lee said:
Why are bloody electric cars so expensive?! This model isn't even fast.
Just to add some perspective, what new ICE SUV offering similar size, practicality, equipment and performance would you compare it to? I had thought the new Kia Sportage, it’s a very similar size, but you can spend low-40s and still not achieve the same performance the base Ariya has. Base Touareg offers similar performance, but is a bit bigger and £8k more with less standard kit.

Just interested to know what the barometer for value is?
Truthfully I am quite out of touch with many new cars prices now to be fair. I was stunned to find that you can pay over £40k for stiff like Mazdas and Peugeots etc now.

Every EV I ever look at does seem very expensive to me though(probably not helped because in my head I think that they are all crap! hehe).

In my head...you can still buy a Golf GTi for £20k brand new! biggrin

Generally I do like to get relatively decent performance from a car if I'm paying a few quid for it though. The idea that you can pay £50k for an electric car...and it will still be slow is something that I really struggle to get my head around.

ajap1979

6,150 posts

168 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
ajap1979 said:
cerb4.5lee said:
Why are bloody electric cars so expensive?! This model isn't even fast.
Just to add some perspective, what new ICE SUV offering similar size, practicality, equipment and performance would you compare it to? I had thought the new Kia Sportage, it’s a very similar size, but you can spend low-40s and still not achieve the same performance the base Ariya has. Base Touareg offers similar performance, but is a bit bigger and £8k more with less standard kit.

Just interested to know what the barometer for value is?
Truthfully I am quite out of touch with many new cars prices now to be fair. I was stunned to find that you can pay over £40k for stiff like Mazdas and Peugeots etc now.

Every EV I ever look at does seem very expensive to me though(probably not helped because in my head I think that they are all crap! hehe).

In my head...you can still buy a Golf GTi for £20k brand new! biggrin

Generally I do like to get relatively decent performance from a car if I'm paying a few quid for it though. The idea that you can pay £50k for an electric car...and it will still be slow is something that I really struggle to get my head around.
Yep, I agree with most of your points, and it wasn’t a loaded question, I think it’s just fact that you can spend extraordinary money these days on very ordinary cars, regardless of how they’re propelled.

ajap1979

6,150 posts

168 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
Generally I do like to get relatively decent performance from a car if I'm paying a few quid for it though. The idea that you can pay £50k for an electric car...and it will still be slow is something that I really struggle to get my head around.
I also think that we should see the midrange acceleration reported more often, because that’s where EVs really shine, and it matters much more in everyday driving.

cerb4.5lee

23,920 posts

161 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
ajap1979 said:
I also think that we should see the midrange acceleration reported more often, because that’s where EVs really shine, and it matters much more in everyday driving.
I definitely would like that part about them for sure. I generally like the ICE cars that I've had to feel torquey, and that is certainly the trump card with an electric car.

biggbn

15,116 posts

201 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
Wow, that looks different, good to see something unique in this segment...oh, wait, no.....

Cobracc

3,109 posts

131 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
How is this hideous 2 tonne monster in anyway good for the environment....?

£50k.....! laugh

Gecko1978

7,171 posts

138 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
Still appeals alot less than KIa or Hyundai or even a i3 BMW thing. EVs need to be cool this is a QQ which was always nice fine etc it was never fun or exciting but it was also not 50k

whp1983

932 posts

120 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
I suppose if you’re currently in a Nissan kumquat this is an easy move over….

Shows how bonkers pricing has become my 520d touring with a few options was £45kish 4 years ago…. Still
Different league interior to this and just generally a much better place to be.

Think I’ll just run it until it dies or diesel is £8 a litre.

Rich Boy Spanner

702 posts

111 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
It's just another blobby jelly mould that looks too big for its wheels. Lots of those around already.

Clivey

5,008 posts

185 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
biggbn said:
Wow, that looks different, good to see something unique in this segment...oh, wait, no.....
laugh

This is exactly it! The Tesla Model S is what, 10 years old? Where are all of the other sleek saloons? Where are the coupés, convertibles and sports cars? We’re repeatedly told that electric powertrains give designers and engineers more freedom with regards to packaging, yet almost every EV we see is a bloated, one-box snoozefest.

emss

79 posts

129 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
Hi,

Cobracc said:
How is this hideous 2 tonne monster in anyway good for the environment....?
That's the crux issue, all these XOver & SUVs (EV or not) are complete aberrations environment wise.

Éric

raspy

897 posts

75 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
Clivey said:
laugh

This is exactly it! The Tesla Model S is what, 10 years old? Where are all of the other sleek saloons? Where are the coupés, convertibles and sports cars? We’re repeatedly told that electric powertrains give designers and engineers more freedom with regards to packaging, yet almost every EV we see is a bloated, one-box snoozefest.
EQE/EQS are available to test drive (and buy) right now. EQS is pretty sleek at 0.20 drag coefficient.

lrdisco

966 posts

68 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
I really like that.

lrdisco

966 posts

68 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
Clivey said:
Hey, I like farm machinery! laugh It’s got much more character than any electric blob thing.



Ah so you collect scrap cars as a hobby.

J4CKO

37,352 posts

181 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
ajap1979 said:
cerb4.5lee said:
Why are bloody electric cars so expensive?! This model isn't even fast.
Just to add some perspective, what new ICE SUV offering similar size, practicality, equipment and performance would you compare it to? I had thought the new Kia Sportage, it’s a very similar size, but you can spend low-40s and still not achieve the same performance the base Ariya has. Base Touareg offers similar performance, but is a bit bigger and £8k more with less standard kit.

Just interested to know what the barometer for value is?
Truthfully I am quite out of touch with many new cars prices now to be fair. I was stunned to find that you can pay over £40k for stiff like Mazdas and Peugeots etc now.

Every EV I ever look at does seem very expensive to me though(probably not helped because in my head I think that they are all crap! hehe).

In my head...you can still buy a Golf GTi for £20k brand new! biggrin

Generally I do like to get relatively decent performance from a car if I'm paying a few quid for it though. The idea that you can pay £50k for an electric car...and it will still be slow is something that I really struggle to get my head around.
It’s not exactly slow though is it ? 7.5 seconds to sixty is plenty for most who will buy one.

I bet a lot of the performance capabilities of most EVs don’t get used as a lot are bought by non enthusiasts and currently a lot of it is about range, and hoofing it everywhere kills it.

We would all aspire to the spiciest Tesla as an EV if we could choose but nobody really needs anything that ridiculously quick.

7.5 to sixty used to be decent hot hatch territory.

cerb4.5lee

23,920 posts

161 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
J4CKO said:
cerb4.5lee said:
ajap1979 said:
cerb4.5lee said:
Why are bloody electric cars so expensive?! This model isn't even fast.
Just to add some perspective, what new ICE SUV offering similar size, practicality, equipment and performance would you compare it to? I had thought the new Kia Sportage, it’s a very similar size, but you can spend low-40s and still not achieve the same performance the base Ariya has. Base Touareg offers similar performance, but is a bit bigger and £8k more with less standard kit.

Just interested to know what the barometer for value is?
Truthfully I am quite out of touch with many new cars prices now to be fair. I was stunned to find that you can pay over £40k for stiff like Mazdas and Peugeots etc now.

Every EV I ever look at does seem very expensive to me though(probably not helped because in my head I think that they are all crap! hehe).

In my head...you can still buy a Golf GTi for £20k brand new! biggrin

Generally I do like to get relatively decent performance from a car if I'm paying a few quid for it though. The idea that you can pay £50k for an electric car...and it will still be slow is something that I really struggle to get my head around.
It’s not exactly slow though is it ? 7.5 seconds to sixty is plenty for most who will buy one.

I bet a lot of the performance capabilities of most EVs don’t get used as a lot are bought by non enthusiasts and currently a lot of it is about range, and hoofing it everywhere kills it.

We would all aspire to the spiciest Tesla as an EV if we could choose but nobody really needs anything that ridiculously quick.

7.5 to sixty used to be decent hot hatch territory.
£50k still feels like a tank load of money for 7.5 to 60 and a 100mph top speed though for me!

Debaser

4,653 posts

242 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
Interesting they chose to go FWD. Is this one of the most powerful FWD BEVs?

FA57REN

980 posts

36 months

Sunday 7th August
quotequote all
One of those cut across lanes ahead of me the other day, I read 'Ariya' but couldn't distinguish the S P A C E D O U T B R A N D N A M E. Bring back tailgate logo badges!