Tell us your driving secret - it's safe with us

Tell us your driving secret - it's safe with us

Author
Discussion

FiF

41,653 posts

232 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
jamie w said:
DickyC said:
jamie w said:
Feel cheated if the odometer is changing from eg 59999 to 60000 and I miss seeing it change biggrin

Even moreso if it's a 99999 to 100000
If I miss the nice round number for my odometer photo collection, I take a 'just after' picture and doctor it in a photo editor.

That's okay, isn't it? We all do it, don't we? You did say this just stays between us, didn't you?
Of course it's okay, just another level biggrin

Think I've got just 2 100000 photos from the last 46 years, obviously need to up my game smile
Although I do recall a moment of anguish when I mentioned to the brother of the guy from whom I had bought my old T2 bay window camper many years previously that I had just watched the speedo tick over from 99,999 to 00,000.

The reply being "I recall when that happened the first time when we were on the way to Cornwall back in '70's."

Grrrrr.

Heaveho

4,085 posts

155 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
I use merge in turn lanes as they are intended and am past caring about the hate visible on the faces of those less well informed as to how they are supposed to used.

sidewinder500

439 posts

75 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
1bhp said:
Leave my EGO at the door when i leave my house.
Great Post, all so true!

sidewinder500

439 posts

75 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
SteveStrange said:
I've got a 911. I got rid of a Kia to get it.

I miss the Kia more than I enjoy the 911.
Depends which 911, but

surprisingly true, had a few nice company cars along my last 911 (964 WTL), and all were nicer, better, some even quicker, and the moments the Porsche would have been better were scarce.

Sold it because I didn't use it, and didn't regret it.
So a lot of understanding from me.

sidewinder500

439 posts

75 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
biggbn said:
Axe wound said:
Earl of Petrol said:
parabolica said:
I honestly believe in todays world there is not a single crap car to drive. Even the most basic, slow, built to a budget white goods appliance will cover all the basics to a perfectly acceptable level and it’s only car snobs who will decry otherwise.
Think you are right, and it’s been the case for some time. I can remember looking at new small, basic cars in the early 90’s. They all did the job.
Ever driven a Citroen C4 Cactus? They're woeful.

I'm a lucky boy in that I've had a few years of getting to drive tons of stuff ranging from £150 stboxes all the way to brand new Bentleys and out of every 'newish' car I've driven, those Cactus's are the worst. They're built badly out of cheap material. The steering feels like it's done by pulling two pieces of string. The petrol engines are hopeless, the front seats would be more at home outside a bus stop and the infotainment screen they use looks and feels like it's come out of a ToysRus catalogue. You'd be better off going to work on your hand and knees.

I love small, cheap cars because they almost always do exactly what you want them to do (like paulrockliffe's Citigo), but there's definitely still some crap out there.

Edited by Axe wound on Sunday 18th September 08:20
I like the Cactus, does exactly what it says on the tin. Each to their own. As my old papa said about whisky, there are no bad ones, it's just some are better than others smile
Had a Cactus as a rental in France, it was the perfect soothing companion, frugal, comfy, great!

Even wanted one at home, but Ms sidewinder said NO

Still secretly want one as a 'farmer's tool', never washed, low maintenance, scuffed and scratched, sometimes maybe

TurboFan

120 posts

106 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
If I'm being tailgated in start/stop or slow moving traffic, I use the handbrake to adjust my speed.

Its a passive way of brake checking and usually makes the tailgator back off.

sidewinder500

439 posts

75 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
paulrockliffe said:
Earl of Petrol said:
parabolica said:
I honestly believe in todays world there is not a single crap car to drive. Even the most basic, slow, built to a budget white goods appliance will cover all the basics to a perfectly acceptable level and it’s only car snobs who will decry otherwise.
Think you are right, and it’s been the case for some time. I can remember looking at new small, basic cars in the early 90’s. They all did the job.
Absolutely.

I have a Skoda Citigo, the previous owner sorted it out like I would have wanted it if I was 17, I told my wife that made it cheap and bought it because I still think I'm 17. I'm 40. The rear end gets very bouncy when it's on lowering springs because the stock dampers are crap, presumably because they cost 47p. So I spent £800 on Eibach Pro Street coilovers for my £3,000 car, then put wheel spacers on it just so it would fill the arches properly. It's an epic drive, so small, so light, so noisy, so composed round corners. So slow, so you really need to maintain speed through the corners to avoid having to regain speed again. Always puts a smile on my face, there's not much I'd rather be driving until you start getting to 10x the cost.

Will probably keep it until the kids start complaining about the rear leg-room, buy something boring and then strip the Skoda and put a silly engine in it.
You're crazy!
Like that attitude!

Car 54 where are you

47 posts

43 months

Thursday
quotequote all
I secretly enjoy driving our Abarth 595C more than my M2.

Harry_523

275 posts

80 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Cleaning cars is pointless. I dont give a st about swirl marks, beading and whatever else the cleaning brigade get hard for, just chuck it through a carwash when you get dirty getting in and out.

I set my cruise control to 81mph to annoy people doing 80.

Cream interiors are life.

Trackdays arent actually fun, you just spend the whole time worrying about braking something and how expensive they are.

Convertibles are better than their coupe equivalents. I dont give a monkeys about shake.

Electric handbrakes are fine, so is stop/start.

Loud exhausts should be punishable by torture (from someone who lives within 1 mile of a bypass).

My Toyota was the least reliable car I owned, including an Alfa Romeo and 3 BMWs.

DickyC

Original Poster:

43,505 posts

179 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Harry_523 said:
Cleaning cars is pointless. I dont give a st about swirl marks, beading and whatever else the cleaning brigade get hard for, just chuck it through a carwash when you get dirty getting in and out.

I set my cruise control to 81mph to annoy people doing 80.

Cream interiors are life.

Trackdays arent actually fun, you just spend the whole time worrying about braking something and how expensive they are.

Convertibles are better than their coupe equivalents. I dont give a monkeys about shake.

Electric handbrakes are fine, so is stop/start.

Loud exhausts should be punishable by torture (from someone who lives within 1 mile of a bypass).

My Toyota was the least reliable car I owned, including an Alfa Romeo and 3 BMWs.
Ah, yes, their 80 to your 81. Over the years I have concluded that their thinking is, "He doesnt need to go faster. I'm breaking the law enough."

LuS1fer

39,400 posts

226 months

Thursday
quotequote all
sidewinder500 said:
Had a Cactus as a rental in France, it was the perfect soothing companion, frugal, comfy, great!

Even wanted one at home, but Ms sidewinder said NO

Still secretly want one as a 'farmer's tool', never washed, low maintenance, scuffed and scratched, sometimes maybe
I haven't driven a Cactus but have driven a C4 and C3 and they were both fine, if lacking in charcater.

If you wanted a truly terrible Citroen, the old "egg" Picasso was woeful - the gearlever in the diesel may or may not have been connected to a gearbox, you just stirred it around. It drove like a pig.

I also can't stand convertibles. They seem to be driven by old posers who like to have a red forehead. It's a faff taking the hood down, keeping it clean and they always look worse than the saloon or coupe they are based on. I did have a Corvette with a removable targa roof - a much better solution.

Edited by LuS1fer on Thursday 22 September 11:51

Chunkychucky

5,287 posts

150 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Slow said:
UTH said:
I have no idea what people mean when they say how good an engine is.
On the latest Grand Tour Clarkson says the RS4 he’s in has one of the three best engines ever made.
I don’t have a clue what makes one engine so much better than another. Let alone how you have a favourite.
Noise/power delivery/responsiveness
I presumed as much, funny Clarkson is still chatting crap - singing the virtues of Audi's 4.2 V8 when it gets beaten in most measurable respects by BMW's S65b40 from the M3 of the same era. Granted he can have an opinion, he's just wrong.

hurstg01

2,784 posts

224 months

Thursday
quotequote all
I must be getting old - I worry more about my MPG than my MPH

biggbn

15,116 posts

201 months

Thursday
quotequote all
LuS1fer said:
sidewinder500 said:
Had a Cactus as a rental in France, it was the perfect soothing companion, frugal, comfy, great!

Even wanted one at home, but Ms sidewinder said NO

Still secretly want one as a 'farmer's tool', never washed, low maintenance, scuffed and scratched, sometimes maybe
I haven't driven a Cactus but have driven a C4 and C3 and they were both fine, if lacking in charcater.

If you wanted a truly terrible Citroen, the old "egg" Picasso was woeful - the gearlever in the diesel may or may not have been connected to a gearbox, you just stirred it around. It drove like a pig.

I also can't stand convertibles. They seem to be driven by old posers who like to have a red forehead. It's a faff taking the hood down, keeping it clean and they always look worse than the saloon or coupe they are based on. I did have a Corvette with a removable targa roof - a much better solution.

Edited by LuS1fer on Thursday 22 September 11:51
I'd bet most convertibles are considerably easier to get the roof down than a target is to take the panels out and stow them away? My last three you jist pressed a button, can even do it whilst moving in some of them!!

drone

21 posts

37 months

Thursday
quotequote all
I used to have a series 2 land rover, used it to tow my boat, on longer road trips on the coastroad in se kent I just LOVED being at the front of a queue.
Especially in the summer....btw name of the boat was FU2, I took it to fish the wet coast of Eire and my landlord nodded at it and remarked "don't you like Irish rock bands"

Chopdogs

76 posts

39 months

Thursday
quotequote all
I used to drive a Porsche 356 Speedster replica with a (very tired) VW Beetle engine in the back. I enjoyed driving it more than I do my current Aston. You could take it to the edge quite easily and at very legal speeds. Also, the exhaust note used to set off car alarms in the multi-storey car park in Victoria Street in Windsor, which used to make me grin but also made me feel a bit guilty.

I am thinking of buying a Volvo V90. I think they're very good looking and seem like a very comfy place to spend time on a motorway without having to sell a kidney to finance the journey - my other car averages17mpg frown

I no longer like German cars.

I had a Land Rover/Range Rover habit but now think that they're just too much money - even second hand. Also, I cannot bear the "jewelled" theme that McGovern has been introducing over the last several years. Too bling for me.

Actually, that last point isn't really a secret, I'll tell anyone that.

TwigtheWonderkid

39,272 posts

131 months

Thursday
quotequote all
I think the Ferrari F40 is rubbish. Just a hideous bag of badly assembled bolts. I don't care how great it is to drive, I just couldn't be owning anything so ugly. The panel gaps wouldn't be acceptable on the cheapest Dacia.

I've seen a couple of F40 replicas based on the MR2 and they usually look better.

jamei303

2,835 posts

137 months

Thursday
quotequote all
I enjoy renewing my car insurance, even if the quotes are slightly higher than last year.

Super Sonic

1,621 posts

35 months

Thursday
quotequote all
donkmeister said:
But if you are undertaking an MLM, there is no-one in front of you... That's the point. thumbup
Noone in front of you? Rubbish! You're not looking far enough.

Super Sonic

1,621 posts

35 months

Thursday
quotequote all
TurboFan said:
If I'm being tailgated in start/stop or slow moving traffic, I use the handbrake to adjust my speed.

Its a passive way of brake checking and usually makes the tailgator back off.
(sigh) where to start?
'tailgated' in stop start traffic?
Using h'brake to adjust speed?
'Passive' brake checking?
ffs