Pollution from brakes and tyres

Pollution from brakes and tyres

Author
Discussion

NMNeil

Original Poster:

4,800 posts

34 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Limpet said:
I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I tend to agree. When you read stories like this, it's hard not to start wondering if personal transport generally is the target.
It's no secret is it?, just open your eyes.

"UK Government Transport Minister Trudy Harrison recently spoke at a mobility conference, addressing the future of personal mobility. In her comments, she said it was necessary to ditch the "20th-century thinking centred around private vehicle ownership and towards greater flexibility, with personal choice and low carbon shared transport."

TfL’s director of buses Louise Cheeseman said: "Continuing our dependency on cars, especially for journeys that could easily be made by bus, would be catastrophic for our health and the environment.”

"By 2041 we would like to see 8 out of every 10 trips made on foot, by cycle or by public transport."
The mayor of London's transport plan.
https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/easy...

I could cite many more, but just those show that's it's no conspiracy, it's a documented fact that the government wants you out of your cars.

pablo

17,038 posts

257 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
super7 said:
Olivergt said:
Here's a report from the RAC.

As mentioned previously Brake pad wear is much reduced.

Tyre wear may be a little worse, but not as bad as some people are making out:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/electric-cars/running/...
Just stick graphene in both and they'll last much longer...... Graphene infused tyres have less wear and more grip!
Quite a few bicycle tyres have grapheme in them already

Yahonza

541 posts

14 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Some pretty big leaps between each of the statements in the article, not linked by much in the way of scientific evidence either.


pablo

17,038 posts

257 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
NMNeil said:
It's no secret is it?, just open your eyes.

"UK Government Transport Minister Trudy Harrison recently spoke at a mobility conference, addressing the future of personal mobility. In her comments, she said it was necessary to ditch the "20th-century thinking centred around private vehicle ownership and towards greater flexibility, with personal choice and low carbon shared transport."

TfL’s director of buses Louise Cheeseman said: "Continuing our dependency on cars, especially for journeys that could easily be made by bus, would be catastrophic for our health and the environment.”

"By 2041 we would like to see 8 out of every 10 trips made on foot, by cycle or by public transport."
The mayor of London's transport plan.
https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/easy...

I could cite many more, but just those show that's it's no conspiracy, it's a documented fact that the government wants you out of your cars.
This is the issue, 71% of journeys over a mile and under five miles are by car. Sure people will come up with a dozen reasons why they don’t want to walk or cycle, and some will be valid, but the car as default mode of transport for all journeys is ridiculous


carinaman

19,313 posts

156 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
pocketspring said:
No one will be happy until we're walking around barefooted and eating grass.
UN Agenda 2030? We'll live in 15 minute cities so won't need our own vehicles regardless of whether they're ICE or EV.

irc

4,600 posts

120 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
pablo said:
This is the issue, 71% of journeys over a mile and under five miles are by car. Sure people will come up with a dozen reasons why they don’t want to walk or cycle, and some will be valid, but the car as default mode of transport for all journeys is ridiculous
Why is it ridiculous? I pay heavy taxes to run a car. I will therefore use it when more convenient.

Five miles is a 2 hour walk for many people. Why would a car owner spend two hours walking to the shops when he can drive in 10 minutes and have a far bigger capacity to carry shopping home.

Why walk my dogs on local streets when I can drive to the country park and give them a good run?

Of course people will give reasons. The most important being it's a free country and personal choice has not been abolished yet.

Actually come to think of it 75% of my trips today were walking. Walked the dogs 3 miles to get my car back from where I left it at a wedding venue last night. Walked to the local post office and back with the dogs to pay my council tax.

Drove 20 miles to work. Took 30 mins. Public transport would be2 hours and would have stopped running when I finish. Cars are brilliant.


Kawasicki

11,788 posts

219 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Cars are brilliant, they were and are a major part of why we have had such massive improvements in quality of life.

survivalist

5,029 posts

174 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
NMNeil said:
RECr said:
Our friend in New Mexico rubs his hands with glee.
Why would you say that?
Just giving you a heads up in case you wanted to stock up.
I rub my hands in glee for things like this.
https://www.carscoops.com/2022/09/detroit-firms-fi...
And this.
https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2022/08/22/new-bill-wo...
Seems boring. What's the point of having big roads if you can't drive a massive vehicle?

swamp

916 posts

173 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
This is part of the new Euro 7 regulations coming in July 2025:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/new-euro...

non-paywall:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegrap...


JonDerz

136 posts

111 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
I’m sure I saw a video some time ago about a couple of inventors working on a magnet contraption you put into your arches to collect particulates from brakes and tyres. I think they tested it out on buses and it was crazy how much was caught. Can’t remember the percentage of particulates it caught but it was high from memory.
If that was done surely it pretty much solves the PM issue from brakes and tyres.

donkmeister

6,012 posts

84 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Isn't the point about tyres and brakes that once cars aren't burning fossil fuels they will be the biggest pollutants from road vehicles? Not that they'll start fitting asbestos brake hads and anthrax-filled tyres for sts and giggles.

It's aiming sights at a future problem, i.e. being proactive. It's like saying "once the house has been underpinned it'll stop subsiding... I think then we'll need to do something about the leaky roof" - if you heard someone say that you wouldn't think it was all a conspiracy, possibly backed by a bunch of shady scaffolders. You'd simply think "yeah, good idea, better to start thinking about it now rather than waiting for your joists to start rotting and then hoping it will get better by itself."

carlo996

582 posts

5 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
pocketspring said:
No one will be happy until we're walking around barefooted and eating grass.
Absolutely. For all the rubber, fumes and dust in Europe, they’ll be the ‘c’ thousand coal fired power stations in China, and the acres of burning rubbish landfills in India.

Kawasicki

11,788 posts

219 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
donkmeister said:
Isn't the point about tyres and brakes that once cars aren't burning fossil fuels they will be the biggest pollutants from road vehicles? Not that they'll start fitting asbestos brake hads and anthrax-filled tyres for sts and giggles.

It's aiming sights at a future problem, i.e. being proactive. It's like saying "once the house has been underpinned it'll stop subsiding... I think then we'll need to do something about the leaky roof" - if you heard someone say that you wouldn't think it was all a conspiracy, possibly backed by a bunch of shady scaffolders. You'd simply think "yeah, good idea, better to start thinking about it now rather than waiting for your joists to start rotting and then hoping it will get better by itself."
I think that dust from tyres and brakes is already (possibly) more than that from a new car exhaust.

blue al

683 posts

143 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
NMNeil said:
Limpet said:
I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I tend to agree. When you read stories like this, it's hard not to start wondering if personal transport generally is the target.
It's no secret is it?, just open your eyes.

"UK Government Transport Minister Trudy Harrison recently spoke at a mobility conference, addressing the future of personal mobility. In her comments, she said it was necessary to ditch the "20th-century thinking centred around private vehicle ownership and towards greater flexibility, with personal choice and low carbon shared transport."

TfL’s director of buses Louise Cheeseman said: "Continuing our dependency on cars, especially for journeys that could easily be made by bus, would be catastrophic for our health and the environment.”

"By 2041 we would like to see 8 out of every 10 trips made on foot, by cycle or by public transport."
The mayor of London's transport plan.
https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/easy...

I could cite many more, but just those show that's it's no conspiracy, it's a documented fact that the government wants you out of your cars.
It’s an easier stance to take when the best tube service delivers you to within 50mtrs your place of work
Need to move parliament around the country like they used to do with the England team, bring the government to the people….

Might wake a few of them up to the real world the other 90% of the country have work in.
I would make any any mp outside the m25 commute every day into London, and any inside the m25 commute to Telford and then zoom each other for the daily sitting….

Let’s have some real world problems…


Edited by blue al on Thursday 24th November 19:38

Hoofy

74,169 posts

266 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
TCX said:
Hoofy said:
And finally cyclists will be taxed. silly
As a cyclist owning 3 ice's and diesel consuming plant I'm taxed quite enough thanks,maybe they could tax some of your hot air?
It was a tongue-in-cheek prediction. But where will the tax come from if everyone cycles?

That said, your argument doesn't stand for not taxing cyclists. If you had 5 cars and 3 plants, you'd still have to pay more tax. And if you had 1 car, you'd pay tax on 1 car. Paying tax on one car doesn't mean you shouldn't be paying tax on another vehicle.

David87

6,330 posts

196 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
The brakes thing is ste as they last ages in an EV due to the regen. Tyres do get a hard time though as they’re generally heavy and torque-abundant.

Alex_225

5,303 posts

185 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
pablo said:
NMNeil said:
It's no secret is it?, just open your eyes.

"UK Government Transport Minister Trudy Harrison recently spoke at a mobility conference, addressing the future of personal mobility. In her comments, she said it was necessary to ditch the "20th-century thinking centred around private vehicle ownership and towards greater flexibility, with personal choice and low carbon shared transport."

TfL’s director of buses Louise Cheeseman said: "Continuing our dependency on cars, especially for journeys that could easily be made by bus, would be catastrophic for our health and the environment.”

"By 2041 we would like to see 8 out of every 10 trips made on foot, by cycle or by public transport."
The mayor of London's transport plan.
https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/easy...

I could cite many more, but just those show that's it's no conspiracy, it's a documented fact that the government wants you out of your cars.
This is the issue, 71% of journeys over a mile and under five miles are by car. Sure people will come up with a dozen reasons why they don’t want to walk or cycle, and some will be valid, but the car as default mode of transport for all journeys is ridiculous
I mean this does just seem a sensible option, assuming it's practical. For example I live in Zone 6, I can get a bus every 9 minutes 150m from my house that will take me where I need to go. To get a hair cut or meet a mate for a drink it just makes sense to use the bus. By contrast my mum lives ten minutes drive away, her nearest bus is a 15 min walk but she's nearly 70 and can't do the walk, admittedly that's not everyone but when you have kids and a buggy and need shopping it's not very feasible.

I think encouraging use of public transport for the inane, unnecessary journeys is a good thing. Make it cheap and efficient. But penalising or just simply outpricing private transport I disagree with massively.

It seems there will always be an excuse to demonise car owners, the goalposts just keep moving.

pablo

17,038 posts

257 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
irc said:
Why is it ridiculous? I pay heavy taxes to run a car. I will therefore use it when more convenient.

Five miles is a 2 hour walk for many people. Why would a car owner spend two hours walking to the shops when he can drive in 10 minutes and have a far bigger capacity to carry shopping home.

Why walk my dogs on local streets when I can drive to the country park and give them a good run?

Of course people will give reasons. The most important being it's a free country and personal choice has not been abolished yet.

Actually come to think of it 75% of my trips today were walking. Walked the dogs 3 miles to get my car back from where I left it at a wedding venue last night. Walked to the local post office and back with the dogs to pay my council tax.

Drove 20 miles to work. Took 30 mins. Public transport would be2 hours and would have stopped running when I finish. Cars are brilliant.
Interesting you chose the 5 mile extreme not the 1.1 mile alternative… cars are brilliant, they are also a major contributor to co2 emissions, road fatalities and congestion. I know, I know, pistonheads, cars, clarkson, grrr, I’ll make my own way to Mumsnet….

DickP

982 posts

134 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
swamp said:
This is part of the new Euro 7 regulations coming in July 2025:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/new-euro...

non-paywall:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegrap...
Hi,

Looks like it's still only proposal and requires approval of EU Parliament and Member States before implementation?

Link 1: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail...

Link 2: https://dieselnet.com/news/2022/11eu.php

Dog Star

14,527 posts

152 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
I’ve said for years that they’ll be on to tyre particle pollution - when I say “they” it’s the car hating, anti-capitalist, class war types.

You get around all their bogus climate change reasons for hating cars, and get an EV. Bingo! Tyre pollution.

It’s got fk all to do with pollution- they’re anti-feeedom, anti-choice, anti-personal transport.

Someone could invent a solar powered anti-gravity transport pod that left no pollution and didn’t even touch the ground. They’d find a reason to object to them and throw paint on them or something. They’re relentless. They’ll never stop.