what is an 'early' 3.4 996?

what is an 'early' 3.4 996?

Author
Discussion

gixermark

Original Poster:

673 posts

131 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
Very balanced & sensible advice - thanks

rubystone

11,252 posts

203 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
cmoose said:
Welcome to the motor trade. There's no profit in buying cars like these and sorting them out the parts prices alone would wipe any profit out, even if you weren't paying labour. They only way you're going to make money on an old 996 is to flip it without spending. So these guys will be no different in that regard.

I did actually consider starting up a business on the side trading in this stuff, starting with 986s. But when I looked at the proposition closely, it was very obvious that there was no way you were going to prep the cars properly and make any money. You'd have to be doing people over at both ends of the deal.

Edited by cmoose on Wednesday 26th April 22:48
You're right. I did the same. The potential profit in a 996 at least means you might wipe your face if you take a bath on a car, but the margins on 986s just aren't worth it. It is very easy to land a £3k bill just sorting out the snags that a lot of cars serviced on the cheap notch up. Brake discs, condensors, dads, exhausts, tensioners, solenoids, smart repairs to PUs. All add up to a lot of money.

As you say, a trader tries to make money on both ends of the deal. Without that he could easily lose a chunk of money, Paul French has been salting decent cars away for the last couple of years now and with the price rises, he ought to be in a good position.

Dammit

3,047 posts

152 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
My MOT + minor service has turned into an engine out £4,000+ experience, and that's on top of ~£10k already spent.

If you are serious about getting these cars into as good a condition as they can be it's (in my case, at least) proven to be an expensive proposition.

Dammit

3,047 posts

152 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
With some bodywork to address the striker plate corrosion etc I think I'll be at (including purchase price of the car) £30,000 for a 60k mile 996, with everything in A1 condition. That's choosing to replace the serviceable roof with a new one to "fix" the cloudy plastic window, so some of this is definitely elective, but the majority of the 4k on the latest trip to the garage is required (engine came out to replace the bust AOS, whilst it was out we split the trans off and found the clutch was about to go etc).

Dammit

3,047 posts

152 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
You can "fix" the clouding in the plastic rear window:



But sadly it comes back as soon as you drop the roof, thereby folding the window over on itself, which is where the clouding occurs the most.

rubystone

11,252 posts

203 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
Dammit said:
You can "fix" the clouding in the plastic rear window:



But sadly it comes back as soon as you drop the roof, thereby folding the window over on itself, which is where the clouding occurs the most.
I polished it with Autosol - you should've seen it when I first bought the car! Got your mail btw and will reply when near a PC Tuesday

Dammit

3,047 posts

152 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
Sorry for the delay in replying to you - I'm only at my laptop as we have a blizzard here in Colorado and I'm stuck in the hotel.

They say the devil makes work for idle hands, so here it is - projected (with actual to date) costs for the first 12 months ownership of a 1998 996 911 cab (which, despite this, I really do like and intend on keeping until I can't get into it):


cmoose

44,799 posts

173 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
New window sown in is about £200-250. Well worth it. If the car lives in a garage, lasts quite well. Mine still looked new 18 months on.



Realise that there's an almost infinite list of things that one can spend on. But in terms of back-for-buck to fresh a car up, a new window sown in has a nice impact for modest(ish) outlay.

I had mine done while I waited at Carhoodwarehouse. I got the impression they did zillions and knew what they were doing.

rubystone

11,252 posts

203 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
Dammit said:
Sorry for the delay in replying to you - I'm only at my laptop as we have a blizzard here in Colorado and I'm stuck in the hotel.

They say the devil makes work for idle hands, so here it is - projected (with actual to date) costs for the first 12 months ownership of a 1998 996 911 cab (which, despite this, I really do like and intend on keeping until I can't get into it):

Is that purchase price correct?...it's not what Bosse told me...

Dammit

3,047 posts

152 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
No leaks at all?

ras62

951 posts

100 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
Considering the price difference and variation in quality in stitching in a new window I would suggest simply getting a new roof installed is the best way forward. There is also a heated glass option which again is much better than the original plastic item.

Dammit

3,047 posts

152 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
rubystone said:
Is that purchase price correct?...it's not what Bosse told me...
Depends on when you spoke with him - we had agreed on £13,500, then the garage that Bosse took it to for the PPI came back with the projected invoice (which you saw), and I found myself in a difficult situation.

I had allowed £15,000 for the purchase of the car and any necessary work, which I was up front about with Bosse, he then changed his offer to accommodate said work - which was such a decent, generous action that I committed to buying the car at once.

That the work identified and done by Precision was almost two grand more than BSG had identified was somewhat annoying, but that's life I guess - some of the items were only identified after they'd fixed others for e.g.

Dammit

3,047 posts

152 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
ras62 said:
Considering the price difference and variation in quality in stitching in a new window I would suggest simply getting a new roof installed is the best way forward. There is also a heated glass option which again is much better than the original plastic item.
That's the option I've priced up, and is in the doc I attached.

ras62

951 posts

100 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
2k is very expensive? Roof installed is only £800 give or take. Mind they may be southern Porsche prices judging by what you've been charged for other work.

Dammit

3,047 posts

152 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
£999+VAT for roof, supply and fit, roof to be dark blue BAS with heated glass screen
£165 +VAT remove and cover in matching blue hood material the rear roll bar covers, side flaps and main center trim panel so that it matches the roof (very obvious colour difference on these parts against the roof when roof stowed)
£150+VAT strip front seats and remove backs ready for paintwork, delivering and collection of items from paint shop and re-fitting to seats as required

Which puts the roof replacement (and seat strip/delivery) at £1,314, which with VAT gives us £1,576.80.

I'm guessing that sanding back, filling, priming and painting the hardbacks for the seats in Arctic Silver to match the body would be ~£400.

I would of course be happy if it were to be less than that.

YoungMD

286 posts

64 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
Just shows the devil really is always in the detail. Always amazes me how people are so focussed on getting 1k off the asking price but not so bothered about spending £300 to get a good ppi.

I think though prices paid for work and parts etcs is directly proportional to the amount of time you have available to do research and some diy yourself.


rival38

179 posts

89 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
My 2001 c2, manual coupe has been with me 14 months.

Bought privately for 13k, with 88k and a major engine rebuild at Porsche Reading in 2010 at 60k miles it was my ideal spec / no sunroof / extended black leather & basalt black paint. Car graphic exhaust.

I have purposely not added up the spend so far, but it has had : 2 services, expansion tank & coolant, gearbox flush and fresh oil, radiator grills, engine mounts, wheel refurb and new michelins, new disks and pads, low temp thermostat, precautionary water pump. Some suspension fettling and alignment at Center Gravity.

Total spend is certainly well into the high teens, maybe close to 20k. Definitely more than I could sell it for anyway - and that is fine. I like it a lot.


ras62

951 posts

100 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
Friend is having the same done on his Cab but the prices are several hundered less incl the VAT than those prices. BAS hood is 760 in total plus fitting. It sounds like a nice hood and a big improvement with the glass window.

rubystone

11,252 posts

203 months

Saturday 29th April 2017
quotequote all
Dammit said:
Depends on when you spoke with him - we had agreed on £13,500, then the garage that Bosse took it to for the PPI came back with the projected invoice (which you saw), and I found myself in a difficult situation.

I had allowed £15,000 for the purchase of the car and any necessary work, which I was up front about with Bosse, he then changed his offer to accommodate said work - which was such a decent, generous action that I committed to buying the car at once.

That the work identified and done by Precision was almost two grand more than BSG had identified was somewhat annoying, but that's life I guess - some of the items were only identified after they'd fixed others for e.g.
Yes, he told me about the £13,500 figure. What a decent bloke.

griffter

3,306 posts

199 months

Sunday 30th April 2017
quotequote all
gixermark said:
It is very nice... What do you mean by bring a C4 it won't have any 'early' features?
It will have the electronic throttle, electronic boot and bonnet release, I'm pretty sure it'll have the three spoke steering wheel and I'm pretty sure the C4 didn't come with amber front indicators. No one can be sure on the IMS bearing. None of these matter in practice IMHO.
There's a sort of "flat floor roadster" appeal to having all the early features, but there are advantages to the updates as well. As I say, I would suggest assessing the car in front of you on its merits.