what is an 'early' 3.4 996?

what is an 'early' 3.4 996?

Author
Discussion

Fast Bug

10,222 posts

138 months

Tuesday 5th April
quotequote all
Ta, I think my passenger one is on its way out by the sounds its making

Slippydiff

13,468 posts

200 months

Tuesday 5th April
quotequote all
Not sure if the door is fully shut in this image, but if it is, the adjustment is way out, as the back edge of the drop glass should be parallel with the adjacent body seal.


SidewaysSi

10,445 posts

211 months

Tuesday 5th April
quotequote all
shalmaneser said:
SidewaysSi said:
How many people are tracking their 996s? Any issues if being run on standard rubber?
Yep no problems on Goodyear eagle f1 assy 5. Even with standard geo, running m030 with h&r rear anti roll bar I was wilting before the tyres. Yellowstuff pads with otherwise standard but good condition brakes worked very well indeed too.

Edited by shalmaneser on Sunday 3rd April 19:27
Thanks all re. the track advice - I know these engines aren't the strongest but I presume if not using sticky rubber then a baffled sump isn't really needed.

Will get mine out on a trackday at some point smile

PGNSagaris

2,659 posts

143 months

Wednesday 6th April
quotequote all
I would 100% get a baffled/deep sump if doing regular Trackdays.

Even with one I managed to grenade a 3.4 engine at SPA. Oil starvation.

Very expensive outcome.

ooid

3,126 posts

77 months

Wednesday 6th April
quotequote all
911 Carrera owner manual (997 Gen 1), Page 2



In translation; our “integrated dry sump engine is a marketing trick, it is actually an open deck wet sump. If you track it you will kill the engine due to our crappy engineering ” hehe

BrotherMouzone

2,902 posts

151 months

Wednesday 6th April
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
Thanks all re. the track advice - I know these engines aren't the strongest but I presume if not using sticky rubber then a baffled sump isn't really needed.

Will get mine out on a trackday at some point smile
My old C2 had oil surge at Bedford (road tyres, X51/FVD sump fitted)

Dammit

3,751 posts

185 months

Wednesday 6th April
quotequote all
I've just been doing some reading about the Corvette LS7 semi-dry sump system, it's a different take on the idea to the one which Porsche had for the M9X engines. GM went for an external tank, with separate pressure and scavenge pumps - albeit those were two gerotors in a single housing.

It's an interesting though exercise to consider how you'd move the "tank" from inside the M9X to an external location, with the benefit of putting the pressure stage pumps intake at the bottom of a column of oil.

Dammit

3,751 posts

185 months

Wednesday 6th April
quotequote all
An image may be helpful:


shalmaneser

5,300 posts

172 months

Wednesday 6th April
quotequote all
BrotherMouzone said:
SidewaysSi said:
Thanks all re. the track advice - I know these engines aren't the strongest but I presume if not using sticky rubber then a baffled sump isn't really needed.

Will get mine out on a trackday at some point smile
My old C2 had oil surge at Bedford (road tyres, X51/FVD sump fitted)
I've done Bedford a few times including with my C2 and would have said it would be a struggle to get surge there. There aren't any long sweeping bends to speak of - I think it's long left handers the 996 especially struggles with? As far as tracks go I'd say it would be pretty safe for oil surge issues, certainly I've not seen any. Your driving is probably better than mine!

It is a fast circuit and the car does get worked hard there, my idle oil pressure was pretty low down the gauge by the end of a session in the summer but no sign of an oil light which I understand is a little less variable than the pressure gauge.

I would have thought an oil cooler solution would have been devised for the 996 but no sign of one I could see, other that using a spin on filter adaptor + sandwich block for a cooler which doesn't seem popular for some reason.

I did read there was some concern about pressure drop over the long routing from a front mounted oil cooler back to the motor but this doesn't seem to be considered a problem with older air cooled cars. With the uncertainty about the value of the X51 third front (coolant) rad I would have thought an oil cooler in that position would make sense.

Edited by shalmaneser on Wednesday 6th April 11:27


Edited by shalmaneser on Wednesday 6th April 16:45

Rich_AR

1,643 posts

181 months

Wednesday 6th April
quotequote all
Bit the bullet and bought this. I've been tinkering with my 996 for the last few months (new clutch, flywheel, RMS , AOS etc etc) and spent too much time searching for torque values online. Not a cheap manual, but nice to have a physical book for a change. It's hefty as well, could always make use as a door stop if required.





Edited by Rich_AR on Wednesday 6th April 16:38

stuckmojo

2,495 posts

165 months

Friday 8th April
quotequote all
Now I need to buy that manual too!

My 996 is coming out of storage after 9 years at the end of this month.

one of the very first to come to the UK, zenith, no sunroof Carrera 2 manual with Savannah (which I am in the minority who love).

I drove it a couple of years back and did rads and coil packs then, so off it goes on a trailer to the best man in Stockton for all fluids, major service, MOT (plus an annoying issue with the steering wheel column not adjusting) and then back to me for May.

I plan to drive it just for pleasure occasionally.

Glad I kept it.

Will post photos when back from the workshop

ATM

14,697 posts

196 months

Friday 8th April
quotequote all
stuckmojo said:
Now I need to buy that manual too!

My 996 is coming out of storage after 9 years at the end of this month.

one of the very first to come to the UK, zenith, no sunroof Carrera 2 manual with Savannah (which I am in the minority who love).

I drove it a couple of years back and did rads and coil packs then, so off it goes on a trailer to the best man in Stockton for all fluids, major service, MOT (plus an annoying issue with the steering wheel column not adjusting) and then back to me for May.

I plan to drive it just for pleasure occasionally.

Glad I kept it.

Will post photos when back from the workshop
I also like Savannah. Probably because my first Porsche had it. Looks poor on a 9x7 with the silvery grey detailing but on the 9x6 with black detailing it works so well. I think it is exterior colour dependant and I'd prefer it on Darker coloured cars. Dont remember seeing it on a Zenith car so ... we need some pics man.

jonny996

2,440 posts

194 months

Friday 8th April
quotequote all
my horn has stopped working but I still get a beep if I lock with glove box open, is that the same horn?

Anyway is this a common issue & hopefully cheap to fix.

ATM

14,697 posts

196 months

Friday 8th April
quotequote all
jonny996 said:
my horn has stopped working but I still get a beep if I lock with glove box open, is that the same horn?

Anyway is this a common issue & hopefully cheap to fix.
My horn stopped working too but I think thats related to my momo steering wheel horn push - just a guess.

I'd suspect the beep uses the alarm siren.

That also doesnt work on my car. If the alarm goes off the hazards flash and thats it - no noise.

Fast Bug

10,222 posts

138 months

Friday 8th April
quotequote all
jonny996 said:
my horn has stopped working but I still get a beep if I lock with glove box open, is that the same horn?

Anyway is this a common issue & hopefully cheap to fix.
Glovebox? Flash bd!

ATM

14,697 posts

196 months

Friday 8th April
quotequote all
Fast Bug said:
Glovebox? Flash bd!
I had to go to the Isle of Man a few years ago for business. Whilst there I was meeting with some Solicitors and then visiting some other businesses and looking at office space to rent. Therefore it was suggested by these Solicitors that I bring my car rather than Fly so I could get around. Whilst at our meeting with the Solicitors they suggested one of their Staff would come with me and show me round. So we left the office and got in my Car - not a Porsche. I had to drive round the front from the parking to pick her up. As soon as she got in and sat down she opened the glove box. All that was in there was a 12 pack of Durex. She just closed it and didnt say a word. I never knew why she opened it. She wasn't wearing gloves.

jonny996

2,440 posts

194 months

Friday 8th April
quotequote all
ATM said:
jonny996 said:
my horn has stopped working but I still get a beep if I lock with glove box open, is that the same horn?

Anyway is this a common issue & hopefully cheap to fix.
My horn stopped working too but I think thats related to my momo steering wheel horn push - just a guess.

I'd suspect the beep uses the alarm siren.

That also doesnt work on my car. If the alarm goes off the hazards flash and thats it - no noise.
is the horn a MOT requirement, if not I'll just forget about it

ATM

14,697 posts

196 months

Friday 8th April
quotequote all
jonny996 said:
ATM said:
jonny996 said:
my horn has stopped working but I still get a beep if I lock with glove box open, is that the same horn?

Anyway is this a common issue & hopefully cheap to fix.
My horn stopped working too but I think thats related to my momo steering wheel horn push - just a guess.

I'd suspect the beep uses the alarm siren.

That also doesnt work on my car. If the alarm goes off the hazards flash and thats it - no noise.
is the horn a MOT requirement, if not I'll just forget about it
Google says Yes

jonny996

2,440 posts

194 months

Friday 8th April
quotequote all
Fast Bug said:
jonny996 said:
my horn has stopped working but I still get a beep if I lock with glove box open, is that the same horn?

Anyway is this a common issue & hopefully cheap to fix.
Glovebox? Flash bd!
When I say glove box I mean that thing in the center arm rest, in fact i am now questioning my self, does it have a glovebox in front of passanger! once I am off this call I will have to go and check

Defo need to spend more time in that car

ATM

14,697 posts

196 months

Friday 8th April
quotequote all
jonny996 said:
Fast Bug said:
jonny996 said:
my horn has stopped working but I still get a beep if I lock with glove box open, is that the same horn?

Anyway is this a common issue & hopefully cheap to fix.
Glovebox? Flash bd!
When I say glove box I mean that thing in the center arm rest, in fact i am now questioning my self, does it have a glovebox in front of passanger! once I am off this call I will have to go and check

Defo need to spend more time in that car
996.2 got a lockable glove box in the dash and twin cup holders below the air vent.