what is an 'early' 3.4 996?

what is an 'early' 3.4 996?

Author
Discussion

ATM

15,734 posts

202 months

Tuesday 4th October
quotequote all
Fast Bug said:
My decklid is showing signs of rust about to break through as well. I thought it was a good excuse for a duck tail, but you could try 9apart and places like that for a used one. Reproduction panels are always hit and miss in my experience
My CSR Carbon ducktail doesnt fit very well at all.

Dammit

3,774 posts

191 months

Tuesday 4th October
quotequote all
I thought of buying a decklid from a breaker but - it might be lousy with rust that's just about to break through, and you'd not know until it was on the car painted. If still available I'd buy the OEM part from Porsche, at least then I'd know I have a solid foundation.

But -saving a bit of weight would be nice, albeit not a huge amount with this panel (but it's up high!)

ATM

15,734 posts

202 months

Tuesday 4th October
quotequote all
Dammit said:
I thought of buying a decklid from a breaker but - it might be lousy with rust that's just about to break through, and you'd not know until it was on the car painted. If still available I'd buy the OEM part from Porsche, at least then I'd know I have a solid foundation.

But -saving a bit of weight would be nice, albeit not a huge amount with this panel (but it's up high!)
I'd like a smooth boot without spoiler. These dont even do anything below 100, who is doing that and who even cares about downforce over 100?

Fast Bug

10,564 posts

144 months

Tuesday 4th October
quotequote all
ATM said:
Fast Bug said:
My decklid is showing signs of rust about to break through as well. I thought it was a good excuse for a duck tail, but you could try 9apart and places like that for a used one. Reproduction panels are always hit and miss in my experience
My CSR Carbon ducktail doesnt fit very well at all.
I've seen some that fit ok, some that fit well and some that are awful so I'd really need to do some research. Got a garage to build first though, that and cclutch and manifolds plus a few other bits that need doing over the winter

nunpuncher

3,002 posts

108 months

Tuesday 4th October
quotequote all
I just checked the engine cover that came off my car (replaced with a ducktail). Not a sign of rust on the inside bottom edge. I can see how water would sit there and cause issues though.

paulne3

17 posts

71 months

Tuesday 4th October
quotequote all
There was a factory recall on the 996 - something to do with anti corrosion measures on the rear deck. Mine was done by my OPC back in the day (I have had the car from new) but I remember being unable to tell what they had done !
No trace of rust on mine but then again the only time the car has been wet is when I washed it - still on 14,000 miles.

Mariosbt

2,441 posts

49 months

Tuesday 4th October
quotequote all
paulne3 said:
There was a factory recall on the 996 - something to do with anti corrosion measures on the rear deck. Mine was done by my OPC back in the day (I have had the car from new) but I remember being unable to tell what they had done !
No trace of rust on mine but then again the only time the car has been wet is when I washed it - still on 14,000 miles.
WOW wobble … photo please?

Ahonen

4,942 posts

262 months

Tuesday 4th October
quotequote all
Dammit said:
All this talk of rust has reminded me - my decklid has rust in the lower seam, the place that painted the car did their best to attend to it but it has returned.

My assumption is that the rust is inside the folded metal and therefore would need, erm, extensive measures that would likely be prohibitively expensive/destructive to implement.

Before I amaze myself with how much a genuine decklid costs from Porsche does anyone know of a source for composite decklids that are not total crap and/or a million pounds?

I should add - just a standard decklid, not a ducktail or anything of that nature.
Exactly the same with mine. The rust isn't bad but it's in that awkward seam area where the work would be very time consuming. My bodywork man winced and immediately suggested I try to find a good second hand one.

One of my rear arches rusted at the top, which again was seam related. It was a sod of a job as the single visible rust spot in the paint ended up needing around 450mm of inner and outer arch cutting out.

These cars have really pretty good rust protection but they are getting old now. Mine is far better at 23 years old than my Quattro was at 15, but it has needed a little attention and will need some more fairly soon.

chappardababbar

381 posts

126 months

Wednesday 5th October
quotequote all
ATM said:
I'd like a smooth boot without spoiler. These dont even do anything below 100, who is doing that and who even cares about downforce over 100?
I want the same thing. I am concerned it might be necessary for cooling at high speed.

ATM

15,734 posts

202 months

Thursday 6th October
quotequote all
chappardababbar said:
I want the same thing. I am concerned it might be necessary for cooling at high speed.
Yes the ducktail does have massive holes in it. And it's interesting Porsche used one on their classic recreation.

I think the main cooling is from rads but airflow is important. High speed just won't happen in UK well nowhere near 150+ top speed of these. You could probably fashion something which looks like the standard boot in the down position and still has some slats or a hole. But I'm not doing that.

Maybe a simpler smaller ducktail like boot is the only option. From some angles the common ducktail is a bit too pronounced.

The massive gt wings from the 996.2 rs only has a small and subtle lid below it.

ATM

15,734 posts

202 months

Thursday 6th October
quotequote all
Imagine this with the big wing cut off. I'd need to see more of what's going on in the boot lid itself. But with a none aero car I think this would look good.

On a full aero car from some angles I prefer the big fixed wing. But yes on a road car totally useless. Reminds me of the Sierra Cosworth. And we all loved the Sierra Cosworth.


SteveStrange

1,514 posts

196 months

Thursday 6th October
quotequote all
ATM said:
Imagine this with the big wing cut off. I'd need to see more of what's going on in the boot lid itself. But with a none aero car I think this would look good.

On a full aero car from some angles I prefer the big fixed wing. But yes on a road car totally useless. Reminds me of the Sierra Cosworth. And we all loved the Sierra Cosworth.

Apropos of nothing, that is a beautiful thing and I can only dream of owning something like that, unless anyone wants to pay over the odds for one of my kids, er, I mean, kidneys.

Slippydiff

13,960 posts

206 months

Thursday 6th October
quotequote all
SteveStrange said:
ATM said:
Imagine this with the big wing cut off. I'd need to see more of what's going on in the boot lid itself. But with a none aero car I think this would look good.

On a full aero car from some angles I prefer the big fixed wing. But yes on a road car totally useless. Reminds me of the Sierra Cosworth. And we all loved the Sierra Cosworth.

Apropos of nothing, that is a beautiful thing and I can only dream of owning something like that, unless anyone wants to pay over the odds for one of my kids, er, I mean, kidneys.
Debated here in a thread started by yours truly :

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...

As I said in my opening post in the thread above, a more divisive 996 you will not find ...

shalmaneser

5,498 posts

178 months

Thursday 6th October
quotequote all
Driving back from the office in (very) West London in my Carrera yesterday and saw a 996.2 GT3 or GT3 RS in white. Unusual spot on the public roads, could have been a souped-up aerokit Carerra of course. Had a climbing frame in the back and looked great.

Anyway, I've got a question regarding camber. I recently replaced the top mounts to cure a squeak while steering (which seems to have worked). For the lols I set the struts for maximum front camber as it obviously needs to be properly set up anyway and I thought it looked cool. The car turns in unbelievably now, it was always pretty excellent in this regard as I fitted new M0303 springs and dampers, M030 front ARB and an H&R rear ARB (set at its softest setting) but now it's really hyperactive.

It's probably a bit much with maximum camber so I'll get it dialled back a touch, I'd estimate it at 1 degree probably. I've run it at standard settings in the past (0 degrees I think), does anyone have a good 'fast road' setup that I can hand to my friendly local tracking guy? Not bothered about going to Centre Gravity and getting posh coffee and a back rub, just want numbers.





Edited by shalmaneser on Thursday 6th October 09:57

Mikeeb

316 posts

101 months

Thursday 6th October
quotequote all
When I get home I can post up a picture of the way CG set my .1 C2 up. MO30 springs, dampers and AR bars. If that helps?

shalmaneser

5,498 posts

178 months

Thursday 6th October
quotequote all
Mikeeb said:
When I get home I can post up a picture of the way CG set my .1 C2 up. MO30 springs, dampers and AR bars. If that helps?
That would be ideal!

BrotherMouzone

3,018 posts

157 months

Thursday 6th October
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
Debated here in a thread started by yours truly :

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...

As I said in my opening post in the thread above, a more divisive 996 you will not find ...
I thought I had bookmarked all the decent threads about 996/7 GT3, obviously not. Great read; thanks for the bump!

ATM

15,734 posts

202 months

Thursday 6th October
quotequote all
shalmaneser said:
It's probably a bit much with maximum camber
What makes you say this?

nebpor

1,645 posts

218 months

Thursday 6th October
quotequote all
ATM said:
What makes you say this?
I ran a car with lots of camber (ITR DC2 ex-racecar) - it tends to follow the road mercilessly ... not always what you want. Lovely on a track, not nice on the state of UK roads.

There will be much more to it than this (I'm not geo expert!) but that's at least one aspect.

shalmaneser

5,498 posts

178 months

Thursday 6th October
quotequote all
ATM said:
shalmaneser said:
It's probably a bit much with maximum camber
What makes you say this?
I've just got two datapoints - zero camber (standard) and max camber (what I've got now) and right now it's good fun but you have to concentrate on the motorway as it's pretty pointy. Would be ace on track I think. Previously it was fairly relaxed at speed.