Replaced 996 engine mounts - wow!

Replaced 996 engine mounts - wow!

Author
Discussion

ATM

13,070 posts

186 months

Friday 8th January
quotequote all
In a full on racer you might want the engine to not move at all. So solid mounts.

In a driving miss daisy road car you would want the opposite because engines vibrate and transmit noise and vibration into the cabin. So soft squidgy mounts please Henry.

Everything in a car is a compromise. So we all want something in between those 2.

But worn out engine mounts are just worn out engine mounts. Pottering around you would never notice. Throw the car around a bit and that big heavy lump will be swinging around and unsettling the car.

ringweekends

584 posts

220 months

Friday 8th January
quotequote all
ATM said:
ringweekends said:
Alternatively Powerflex do a gearbox mount insert which tightens it all up.

I did the RSS mounts and the gearbox insert in an afternoon, with lots of tea.
I've seen some chat about the gearbox inserts where people talk about cutting off some of the side. Did you install yours whole or trim it down?
The first revision was a suboptimal design that David very quickly changed.

The insert I bought was the revised design - no trimming required.

LPAK

79 posts

9 months

Friday 8th January
quotequote all
ATM said:
In a full on racer you might want the engine to not move at all. So solid mounts.

In a driving miss daisy road car you would want the opposite because engines vibrate and transmit noise and vibration into the cabin. So soft squidgy mounts please Henry.

Everything in a car is a compromise. So we all want something in between those 2.

But worn out engine mounts are just worn out engine mounts. Pottering around you would never notice. Throw the car around a bit and that big heavy lump will be swinging around and unsettling the car.
Is this something that is checked during a service? Or do you just get to a point close to 100k miles when you say to the specialist or OPC that you want new engine mounts?

shalmaneser

4,833 posts

162 months

Friday 8th January
quotequote all
LPAK said:
ATM said:
In a full on racer you might want the engine to not move at all. So solid mounts.

In a driving miss daisy road car you would want the opposite because engines vibrate and transmit noise and vibration into the cabin. So soft squidgy mounts please Henry.

Everything in a car is a compromise. So we all want something in between those 2.

But worn out engine mounts are just worn out engine mounts. Pottering around you would never notice. Throw the car around a bit and that big heavy lump will be swinging around and unsettling the car.
Is this something that is checked during a service? Or do you just get to a point close to 100k miles when you say to the specialist or OPC that you want new engine mounts?
When you come on and off the power does the car shunt at all? Are the exhaust tips hanging low? If so the engine mounts are likely shot. Garages don't seem to check these very much for some reason. My fiancee's Boxster needs the mounts doing and it never gets bought up at the service. Will do it myself at some point.

RiccardoG

1,345 posts

239 months

Friday 8th January
quotequote all

Its not really a service item. They either fail or not. Depends on how the car is used, etc. If they start to go then you might see some fluid around them or, more relevant as stated above, exhaust tips dropping. I've had them on my to-do list for a few years, will likely do it at this year's service, this thread has me sold!

Btw, you can try and source Corteco parts, which is the OEM manufacturer. For 997 pricing I have seen around £150 each. Therefore roughly a £400 job "all in" at a specialist.

LPAK

79 posts

9 months

Friday 8th January
quotequote all
shalmaneser said:
When you come on and off the power does the car shunt at all? Are the exhaust tips hanging low? If so the engine mounts are likely shot. Garages don't seem to check these very much for some reason. My fiancee's Boxster needs the mounts doing and it never gets bought up at the service. Will do it myself at some point.
Is the shunting very obvious? Like any reasonably powered car, there's a bit of shunting when letting off accelerating, but I haven't sat there wondering if it's a bit more than usual.

Exhaust tips aren't hanging low.

I'm wondering if I've just been living with it and not noticed it. I'd imagine if I asked the question to the garage, that the answer will likely be to replace them...

ATM

13,070 posts

186 months

Friday 8th January
quotequote all
LPAK said:
Is the shunting very obvious? Like any reasonably powered car, there's a bit of shunting when letting off accelerating, but I haven't sat there wondering if it's a bit more than usual.

Exhaust tips aren't hanging low.

I'm wondering if I've just been living with it and not noticed it. I'd imagine if I asked the question to the garage, that the answer will likely be to replace them...
I get a bit of shunting and my engine mounts are quite shiny but the body bangs around a lot due to my rock hard - read ridiculous - suspension. I assumed little shunt was a feature of cable throttle.

jonny996

2,332 posts

184 months

Monday 31st May
quotequote all
Apologies for being really stupid but if someone has recently done this could you drop the URL for what I should be ordering, looking for the softer OEM option over the semi or solid version but trying to avoid Porsche prices.

Thanks.

m444ttb

3,139 posts

196 months

Monday 31st May
quotequote all
I’ve just bought some RSS engine mounts plus the Powerflex gearbox inserts to hand to my local indy in 6 weeks time when the cars goes in for it’s annual service and MoT. I’m a bit nervous it’s going to make the car horrendous but if it’s ok on a motorway cruise then I’ll be happy with whatever it’s like elsewhere. I gather from this thread and elsewhere they will settle down a little in time anyway.

jonny996

2,332 posts

184 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
do I need to order anything else other than this?
https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432...
thanks

shalmaneser

4,833 posts

162 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
jonny996 said:
do I need to order anything else other than this?
https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432...
thanks
https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/9792

You need to buy this as it includes the fixings

jonny996

2,332 posts

184 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
shalmaneser said:
https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432...

You need to buy this as it includes the fixings
Cheers, ordered.

jonny996

2,332 posts

184 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
Wow, really is the perfect word to describe the change in ride feel.
If gone from original mounts on 10 year old continental tyres to new semi solid mounts on new Goodyear eagles & it’s like a brand new car.

Onetrackmind

802 posts

180 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
Hi All,

Interesting thread. Thinking of doing the same on a 996 turbo. Assume these will work? https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432...

Surprised how cheap they are compared to the aftermarket ones on Design911 - they're all around the 300 quid mark.

Scrump

Original Poster:

14,730 posts

125 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
jonny996 said:
Wow, really is the perfect word to describe the change in ride feel.
If gone from original mounts on 10 year old continental tyres to new semi solid mounts on new Goodyear eagles & it’s like a brand new car.
Glad to hear it worked for you too thumbup

Kawasicki

9,611 posts

202 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
Very happy it worked out!

jonny996

2,332 posts

184 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
Onetrackmind said:
Hi All,

Interesting thread. Thinking of doing the same on a 996 turbo. Assume these will work? https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432...

Surprised how cheap they are compared to the aftermarket ones on Design911 - they're all around the 300 quid mark.
Indy I use done mine with those that I supplied & he was impressed with the kit