Am I daft to be considering a 996 GT3?

Am I daft to be considering a 996 GT3?

Author
Discussion

Maxym

Original Poster:

1,307 posts

204 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
I'm increasingly liking the idea of one of these: one of the classic 911s, great looks, Mezger engine, very much analogue in nature.

As a bit of background, had a few Porsches over the years:

1994 993, bought in 2004, sold in 2006; great drive but I should have bought a better one

997 3.6 bought at 1 year old

981 Cayman S bought new

981 Cayman GTS bought at 1 year old

991 Carrera T bought at two years old.

My driving is road only and I like everything to work as it should. So with my history of nearly new modern cars, am I likely to be disappointed or annoyed with a 996 GT3 getting on for 20 years old? It's not engine or suspension that might bother me (bits wear out with the miles), more fading aircon, electrical things and the like.

So can ownership often be unbridled joy or do you have to work at it?

julian987R

1,470 posts

27 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
Maxym said:
I'm increasingly liking the idea of one of these: one of the classic 911s, great looks, Mezger engine, very much analogue in nature.

As a bit of background, had a few Porsches over the years:

1994 993, bought in 2004, sold in 2006; great drive but I should have bought a better one

997 3.6 bought at 1 year old

981 Cayman S bought new

981 Cayman GTS bought at 1 year old

991 Carrera T bought at two years old.

My driving is road only and I like everything to work as it should. So with my history of nearly new modern cars, am I likely to be disappointed or annoyed with a 996 GT3 getting on for 20 years old? It's not engine or suspension that might bother me (bits wear out with the miles), more fading aircon, electrical things and the like.

So can ownership often be unbridled joy or do you have to work at it?
Coming out of those modern Porsches I bet the most likely frustration will be the PCM unit. So you’d want to factor in the costs for updating it with the new Porsche Classic 996 Radio.


jonny996

2,336 posts

185 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
Am I reading this correctly, you are going to use this as a normal road car, perhaps even daily.
As much as I like the 996 I think the GT3 would lose its special appeal

rlw

2,969 posts

205 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
I had a 996 GT3 for four years a my only car. It did everything - trackdays, commutes, holidays - and was fine. A pleasure to drive if hard work in slow moving city traffic.

I had the hardback seats which I found very commfortable for hours on end. The ride wasn't too hard and I always felt that of all the cars I've owned, it was the one that looked after me the most in that it was very forgiving and happy to pootle about.

I spent a lot on it - 911 Virgin suggested it was the best maintained one they'd ever seen - but nothing ever went wrong and it started first time every time.

Economy was good - up to about 35 mpg easily done on a run but not so good in town. One journey back from Cornwall to Bromley at night showed an average speed of 69mph with economy of 36mpg.

I'm sorry it I sold it as it was a cracking car. The ad below refers to it after I sold it to 911 Virgin.

https://vandp.net/sales/1559/1999-porsche-911-996-...


rlw

2,969 posts

205 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
rlw said:
I had a 996 GT3 for four years a my only car. It did everything - trackdays, commutes, holidays - and was fine. A pleasure to drive if hard work in slow moving city traffic.

I had the hardback seats which I found very commfortable for hours on end. The ride wasn't too hard and I always felt that of all the cars I've owned, it was the one that looked after me the most in that it was very forgiving and happy to pootle about.

I spent a lot on it - 911 Virgin suggested it was the best maintained one they'd ever seen - but nothing ever went wrong and it started first time every time.

Economy was good - up to about 35 mpg easily done on a run but not so good in town. One journey back from Cornwall to Bromley at night showed an average speed of 69mph with economy of 36mpg.

I'm sorry it I sold it as it was a cracking car. The ad below refers to it after I sold it to 911 Virgin. Someone after me pput in the cage which I think spoiled it.

https://vandp.net/sales/1559/1999-porsche-911-996-...

Cheburator mk2

2,714 posts

167 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
Maxym said:
I'm increasingly liking the idea of one of these: one of the classic 911s, great looks, Mezger engine, very much analogue in nature.

As a bit of background, had a few Porsches over the years:

1994 993, bought in 2004, sold in 2006; great drive but I should have bought a better one

997 3.6 bought at 1 year old

981 Cayman S bought new

981 Cayman GTS bought at 1 year old

991 Carrera T bought at two years old.

My driving is road only and I like everything to work as it should. So with my history of nearly new modern cars, am I likely to be disappointed or annoyed with a 996 GT3 getting on for 20 years old? It's not engine or suspension that might bother me (bits wear out with the miles), more fading aircon, electrical things and the like.

So can ownership often be unbridled joy or do you have to work at it?
There isn't much to go wrong in my 996.1 CS - electric windows, and a two-speaker radio casette. The mirrors are manual, the buckets are fixed. Aircon is just aircon - no difference from a 991 or a 981. The Led panel on the aircon sometimes leaks out, but a new one is £70 and easy to replace. ABS doesn't go bad. No (s)PASM to worry about either.

If you are buying any 20yrs old car, you are buying on condition - provided most of the usual stuff like radiators/condensers leaking due to corrosion have been addressed, and it has been generally well cared for, there is nothing to fear. Routine servicing is just that and there are plenty of specialists with great knowledge of the cars. Ok, it will never be the same as owning a brand spanking new 992, but they aren't a "disaster" like an mid-1980s classic Porsche either. I bought mine 7 years ago at 22k miles and 15k miles later it has been super reliable for the routine stuff. The non-routine stuff was from my own "making" - a lot of track work and upgrades...

BertBert

15,253 posts

179 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
I think it's a fine idea. If for road use, make sure that the springs and dampers are suitable. I've driven a few that have track setups that have claimed to be ok for road use, but were in fact extraordinarily tedious for my more softly sprung tastes! I ran a 996GT3 RS as an every day car for a couple of years and enjoyed it a lot - although as people point out it got to be a bit of a handful on bumpy roads.

nunpuncher

2,295 posts

93 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
It depends on your expectations. If you expect modern levels of comfort, convenience, noise deadening, relative luxury of materials and buckets of very easily accessible performance then you will be disappointed. If you're after something simply great to drive then you won't be disappointed.

Chemical Ali

571 posts

185 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
You look like you are searching for something special and you have nearly found it but not quite.

Do it.

ADEuk

1,911 posts

204 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
The clutch is quite heavy on these, I hear. If your regular drive involves a lot of slow stop start bits it might start to annoy...

Heathrow

412 posts

98 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
nunpuncher said:
It depends on your expectations. If you expect modern levels of comfort, convenience, noise deadening, relative luxury of materials and buckets of very easily accessible performance then you will be disappointed. If you're after something simply great to drive then you won't be disappointed.
This. I would add that the the car is surprisingly docile and quiet at low revs and it cruises along nicely at motorway speeds - more comfortable than an Elise/Exige for example, but it will never match say, a GT4 or 991 GT3 in that department. It's a relatively fidgety car on B roads and is happier on faster, smoother A roads - so consider your typical usage.

That sad, they are very sensitive to set-up and naturally offer plenty of adjustment. For that reason I would be very cautious about judging the breed by just driving one single example. e.g. they can be pretty lively on the road if set up for track.

If you're doing purely road driving - I would opt against Michelin Cup 2 tyres. They rob the car of a little bit of compliance and make for a tricky mistress on give-or-take B roads in very wet conditions.

Many of these cars have had a hard life on track so do your research, but they are robust if well maintained.

Good luck with the search.

Maxym

Original Poster:

1,307 posts

204 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
julian987R said:
Coming out of those modern Porsches I bet the most likely frustration will be the PCM unit. So you’d want to factor in the costs for updating it with the new Porsche Classic 996 Radio.
Sure. I'd update the 'infotainmnent'.

Maxym

Original Poster:

1,307 posts

204 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
jonny996 said:
Am I reading this correctly, you are going to use this as a normal road car, perhaps even daily.
As much as I like the 996 I think the GT3 would lose its special appeal
Weekend special fun. Defo not a daily.

Maxym

Original Poster:

1,307 posts

204 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
Chemical Ali said:
You look like you are searching for something special and you have nearly found it but not quite.

Do it.
More I want to experience something especially characterful as the latest cars get more and more 'capable' and tech-laden.

I might indeed do it.

Maxym

Original Poster:

1,307 posts

204 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
Thanks for your thoughts and advice guys. It seems like it's not such a daft idea after all. smile Main thing appears to be to buy a good 'un in the first place.

Is corrosion a potential issue? Nothing I've read hints that it might be...

braddo

7,760 posts

156 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
As long as it's not your only car, so that you can drive it when you fancy, you could love it. Otherwise, you might hate it. hehe

julian987R

1,470 posts

27 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
Maxym said:
Thanks for your thoughts and advice guys. It seems like it's not such a daft idea after all. smile Main thing appears to be to buy a good 'un in the first place.

Is corrosion a potential issue? Nothing I've read hints that it might be...
This one is stunning, they all are, but this seems a very special one.

https://jzmporsche.com/cars/porsche-911-gt3-p0005/

GT03ROB

10,770 posts

189 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
I've had one for about 16yrs now. For the 1st couple of months I did a 30mile commute into London in it. You can use them as a daily. But that's not really what they are for. They are a great car though, but you truly appreciate that when you drive them occasionaly. I wouldn't have one as an only car, but there really is no reason why you couldn't.

Heathrow

412 posts

98 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
Maxym said:
Thanks for your thoughts and advice guys. It seems like it's not such a daft idea after all. smile Main thing appears to be to buy a good 'un in the first place.

Is corrosion a potential issue? Nothing I've read hints that it might be...
The car was never undersealed from factory so that's one area to look closely at. Also if the car is on the original springs without protection they can often be quite tatty given the age of these cars and often hard use.

BertBert

15,253 posts

179 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
Dan's SY 996GT3 is stunning, not sure if he sold it though or whether it's still for sale.