PTS Colour Choice

PTS Colour Choice

Author
Discussion

rkwm1

910 posts

80 months

Saturday 21st May
quotequote all
lots of pts cars on this thread....especially green!

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-and-gt2rs-foru...

RSVP911

Original Poster:

7,979 posts

111 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
rkwm1 said:
lots of pts cars on this thread....especially green!

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-and-gt2rs-foru...
Thanks very good thread smile

Joscal

1,593 posts

178 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
Thanks from me too.

Koln-RS

3,494 posts

190 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
Personally, if I was choosing any colour for a car, That I intended to use and enjoy - PTS or standard - I would want a colour that looked good when dirty, or at least with a patina of use.

Some of these colours look vivid under showroom lighting, or, in “look I’ve just had my car detailed” pics, but unless it’s going to be a ‘garage queen’, medium tone colours that don’t reflect back too much depth, are a safer bet. Otherwise every finger mark, dust scuff, mud splash, surface squirl….. shows through.

I’ve done my time with black, navy blue and dark green metallics, to know the frustration. The best cars I’ve owned have been the ones I’ve wanted to use the most, not the ones that I’ve cleaned the most.

Desert Dragon

1,134 posts

62 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all

rkwm1

910 posts

80 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
RSVP911 said:
Thanks very good thread smile
Youre welcome

rkwm1

910 posts

80 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
Joscal said:
Thanks from me too.
No problem, hope its helpful!

craigjm

14,820 posts

178 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
Porsche really need to change the name of these paints. They are not really paint to sample at all. Paint to sample is what they call paint to sample plus where you can take in your favourite bathroom tile etc and they will match it. This option should just be called extended paint range or something similar as BMW and MB do with Individual and Designo. There is nothing sample about it.

cowboyengineer

1,136 posts

92 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
RSVP911 said:
Looks lovely in that shot - do you know if the owner is East Midlands based by any chance ? Thanks
Based in the new Forrest. If you’re on instagram he is newforrestspyder

julian987R

3,575 posts

37 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
craigjm said:
Porsche really need to change the name of these paints. They are not really paint to sample at all. Paint to sample is what they call paint to sample plus where you can take in your favourite bathroom tile etc and they will match it. This option should just be called extended paint range or something similar as BMW and MB do with Individual and Designo. There is nothing sample about it.
But the colours have been derived from that PTS process. Each one came from someone’s favourite bathroom tile (or whatever), therefore as a library name PTS seems perfectly apt and from a marketing POV the term has a far more cachet than ‘extended range’
Extended range! Lol.





RSVP911

Original Poster:

7,979 posts

111 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
cowboyengineer said:
RSVP911 said:
Looks lovely in that shot - do you know if the owner is East Midlands based by any chance ? Thanks
Based in the new Forrest. If you’re on instagram he is newforrestspyder
Thx

craigjm

14,820 posts

178 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
julian987R said:
craigjm said:
Porsche really need to change the name of these paints. They are not really paint to sample at all. Paint to sample is what they call paint to sample plus where you can take in your favourite bathroom tile etc and they will match it. This option should just be called extended paint range or something similar as BMW and MB do with Individual and Designo. There is nothing sample about it.
But the colours have been derived from that PTS process. Each one came from someone’s favourite bathroom tile (or whatever), therefore as a library name PTS seems perfectly apt and from a marketing POV the term has a far more cachet than ‘extended range’
Extended range! Lol.
Paint to someone else sample hehe

Slippydiff

13,566 posts

201 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
julian987R said:
But the colours have been derived from that PTS process. Each one came from someone’s favourite bathroom tile (or whatever), therefore as a library name PTS seems perfectly apt and from a marketing POV the term has a far more cachet than ‘extended range’
Extended range! Lol.
What makes you say the colours came from someone’s bathroom tiles/wife’s underwear/sunset on the eve of their wedding/your baby’s first poo etc Julian ?
My understanding is the same as Craig’s, that being they’re nothing more than period colours that Porsche have painted cars before, but no longer offered as part of their “standard” range. Rather they’ve made them available by “special request” and at a premium ...



julian987R

3,575 posts

37 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
julian987R said:
But the colours have been derived from that PTS process. Each one came from someone’s favourite bathroom tile (or whatever), therefore as a library name PTS seems perfectly apt and from a marketing POV the term has a far more cachet than ‘extended range’
Extended range! Lol.
What makes you say the colours came from someone’s bathroom tiles/wife’s underwear/sunset on the eve of their wedding/your baby’s first poo etc Julian ?
My understanding is the same as Craig’s, that being they’re nothing more than period colours that Porsche have painted cars before, but no longer offered as part of their “standard” range. Rather they’ve made them available by “special request” and at a premium ...
well i was always under the impression that is how they came to be, but I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying. best regards


paralla

2,997 posts

113 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
Nogaro blue is a relatively new addition to the PTS list. It was put through the validation process at the request of a customer a couple of years ago.

This is my understanding of PTS. Someone asks for a new colour “to sample”, they pay for Porsche to do the validation of the colour, if it’s a success it gets added to the PTS list and made available to anyone that is prepared to pay for (and wait for) PTS.

julian987R

3,575 posts

37 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
paralla said:
Nogaro blue is a relatively new addition to the PTS list. It was put through the validation process at the request of a customer a couple of years ago.

This is my understanding of PTS. Someone asks for a new colour “to sample”, they pay for Porsche to do the validation of the colour, if it’s a success it gets added to the PTS list and made available to anyone that is prepared to pay for (and wait for) PTS.
indeedy. My understanding too, however it seems this PTS range is perhaps more of a release of historic colours and not solely as a result of that bespoke process.

craigjm

14,820 posts

178 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
julian987R said:
paralla said:
Nogaro blue is a relatively new addition to the PTS list. It was put through the validation process at the request of a customer a couple of years ago.

This is my understanding of PTS. Someone asks for a new colour “to sample”, they pay for Porsche to do the validation of the colour, if it’s a success it gets added to the PTS list and made available to anyone that is prepared to pay for (and wait for) PTS.
indeedy. My understanding too, however it seems this PTS range is perhaps more of a release of historic colours and not solely as a result of that bespoke process.
I have just asked someone that I know who works in the management at Porsche Germany and they said that the paint to sample paints are either heritage colours, colours they know the can charge more for or paint to sample plus colours that customers have allowed to be rolled out in the programme. You get asked when they match a paint to your tiles or your wives knickers etc what you want to call it and whether you want it to be available to others. If you agree to it being available to others you get a small royalty each time someone buys it. They are not really paint to sample at all as I said and at best they are paint to someone else’s sample

Schuey_911

362 posts

50 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
craigjm said:
You get asked when they match a paint to your wives knickers and whether you want it to be available to others. If you agree to it being available to others you get a small royalty each time someone buys it.
LOL - This line cracked me up...

Also, aren't some of the colours other manufacturers have created. I'm sure a few in the Porsche PTS palette are BMW colours?

craigjm

14,820 posts

178 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
Schuey_911 said:
craigjm said:
You get asked when they match a paint to your wives knickers and whether you want it to be available to others. If you agree to it being available to others you get a small royalty each time someone buys it.
LOL - This line cracked me up...

Also, aren't some of the colours other manufacturers have created. I'm sure a few in the Porsche PTS palette are BMW colours?
Yes they are but they will have been paint to sample plus first ie I want the Porsche the same colour as my M3 etc.

I do wonder what the most bizarre item is that they have ever been given to paint match to hehe apparently you can do leather to sample too

Schuey_911

362 posts

50 months

Sunday 22nd May
quotequote all
craigjm said:
Yes they are but they will have been paint to sample plus first ie I want the Porsche the same colour as my M3 etc.

I do wonder what the most bizarre item is that they have ever been given to paint match to hehe apparently you can do leather to sample too
Ah ok, that makes sense.

The brown ones are a bit suspect, one of them could be someones skidmark that he's getting royalties for! LOL