Cayman R Chat

Author
Discussion

Slippydiff

13,803 posts

205 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
joshcowin said:
What your forgetting swanny is his opinion is correct and yours is not!

I just love how we are on a cayman r chat, couple of guys mug it off completely to actual owners and then start spouting on about £300k+ porsche 911's, all very odd. I am not an owner of any but would 100% take an R over an S, if I couldn't afford an R I wouldn't buy and S and modify it.
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=231&t=1671855

wink

I’ve owned both, and a couple of old 911’s too in my time.

They say ignorance is bliss. Enjoy yours.

ATM

15,409 posts

201 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
ChrisW. said:
Or this ?



75000 miles ....
I don’t particularly like the impact bumper cars, but boy oh boy, would I make an exception for a 3.2 Club Sport Chris.

There’s a mega high miles one in the UK, it was owned by a gentleman in the Midlands who used it as his daily driver. I used to see it being used in all weathers.
The owner specified it from the factory sans side decals, so it looked very discrete (and special) in Grand Prix white with red and silver Fuchs (I think he may have fitted 7” & 8” versions, rather than factory fitted 6 & 7” items) either way, it was a lovely car to see on the road all those years ago smile
My first ever P car experience was in one of these although I suspect it was a fake as it had seat mounts in the back which I cut my hands on while flying around in the back. I want to say I was 15 or 16 at the time.

Andyoz

2,658 posts

36 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
Da Original Whyayedee said:
Guys Guys Guys,

This has always been one of the more jovial threads on this forum, can we get back to that smile
Where have you been the last few years winksmile ...this threads the most entertaining around...

Anyway, I fooked off and bought a 911.

Mates got my R so it's not that far away if I ever want to razz it!!!

swanny71

2,574 posts

191 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
swanny71 said:
No, that’s just a 997.2 S with a body kit, new wheels and engine tune if your Cayman R/ Cayman S logic is applied? Might as well just buy a regular 997S and fit aftermarket parts…

Or do special rules apply if it’s a 911?
They made just 250. Hence it’s rare. Of course if you can find a widebody C2 with a Powerkit upgrade, a double bubble roof, in a unique hue, with a unique interior for less than £275K, my check book is ready to be opened.

Let’s not forget the SC cost more than a 997 GT3 RS at their launch, hence the exclusivity. The R was/is neither, and never will be.
^
Proving your own logic is flawed and contradictory.

To be clear, I understand the reasons Sport Classics are considered special. And they the same (slightly irrational) reasons a Cayman R is more special/desirable/valuable to most than a well modified Cayman S.

Slippydiff

13,803 posts

205 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
swanny71 said:
Proving your own logic is flawed and contradictory.
Says the individual doing just that ...
Shall we leave it at that and get matters back on topi now that you and your disciple have thrown your toys out of the pram because a couple of contributors dared to question just how special the Cayman R really is in the grand scheme of things.




J-P

Original Poster:

4,201 posts

188 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
Don't stop now - this has been fun!

I mean I bought a 997 GTS because it was a basically a Sport Classic.

swanny71

2,574 posts

191 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
Says the individual doing just that ...
Shall we leave it at that and get matters back on topi now that you and your disciple have thrown your toys out of the pram because a couple of contributors dared to question just how special the Cayman R really is in the grand scheme of things.
Leave it there if you like, but I’m always up for respectful debate with old school Porschephiles who sometimes give the impression that anyone who hasn’t owned/driven GT cars or air cooled classics is somehow not worthy of an opinion.

No toys are being thrown, no disciples are in tow and certainly have no illusions the Cayman R is really special compared to some cars from Porsche.

LennyM1984

455 posts

50 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
J-P said:
I mean I bought a 997 GTS because it was a basically a Sport Classic.
Off on a bit of a tangent here but when the Sports Classic first came out, my dad's friend bought one (he had recently come into some money) and used it as a daily driver for a while. I don't think he particularly cared for the fact that it was a limited edition, he just liked it. He used to regularly drive it to the pub and leave it out in the car park next to the old bangers driven by half blind old men (deep dark cotswolds, lots of old farmers, lots of drink driving!).

He now drives a 987.1 Cayman...

Slippydiff

13,803 posts

205 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
swanny71 said:
Slippydiff said:
Says the individual doing just that ...
Shall we leave it at that and get matters back on topi now that you and your disciple have thrown your toys out of the pram because a couple of contributors dared to question just how special the Cayman R really is in the grand scheme of things.
Leave it there if you like, but I’m always up for respectful debate with old school Porschephiles who sometimes give the impression that anyone who hasn’t owned/driven GT cars or air cooled classics is somehow not worthy of an opinion.

No toys are being thrown, no disciples are in tow and certainly have no illusions the Cayman R is really special compared to some cars from Porsche.
And it’s still one of the best threads on the PH Porsche forum beer

ajondyh

657 posts

106 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
My Cayman R is very special to me and that's all that counts for me. I've had it 10 years now and can't see me selling it anytime soon biggrin

julian987R

4,530 posts

41 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
ajondyh said:
My Cayman R is very special to me and that's all that counts for me. I've had it 10 years now and can't see me selling it anytime soon biggrin
thumbup
Are you the owner from new?

J-P

Original Poster:

4,201 posts

188 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
LennyM1984 said:
J-P said:
I mean I bought a 997 GTS because it was a basically a Sport Classic.
Off on a bit of a tangent here but when the Sports Classic first came out, my dad's friend bought one (he had recently come into some money) and used it as a daily driver for a while. I don't think he particularly cared for the fact that it was a limited edition, he just liked it. He used to regularly drive it to the pub and leave it out in the car park next to the old bangers driven by half blind old men (deep dark cotswolds, lots of old farmers, lots of drink driving!).

He now drives a 987.1 Cayman...
Brilliant...

ajondyh

657 posts

106 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
julian987R said:
thumbup
Are you the owner from new?
1 year old

squirdan

1,025 posts

129 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
Not seen the new owner of my CR on here but hopefully he is enjoying it

I do think the CR is quite special, I think the parallel is the 968 Clubsport. Technically a stripped out 968 for recessionary times (sound familiar?) but somehow has the magic dust. Many arguments that it’s not that special but the fact is still sought after and still going up in value!

See the beautiful yellow car at JZM £55k





Talking of special, limited numbers, manual, NA Porsche… new toy being picked up tmrw. No PASM, lots of bespoke Aluminium, door straps, carbon buckets etc etc. all the good stuff. Hoping for a dry Autumn!


elisered

145 posts

64 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
My first Porsche in 1998 was a 968 Cub Sport - currently 5 years and counting in a 981 Spyder smile
I think you’ll enjoy your new purchase!

cossers

3,304 posts

122 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
squirdan said:
Not seen the new owner of my CR on here but hopefully he is enjoying it

I do think the CR is quite special, I think the parallel is the 968 Clubsport. Technically a stripped out 968 for recessionary times (sound familiar?) but somehow has the magic dust. Many arguments that it’s not that special but the fact is still sought after and still going up in value!

See the beautiful yellow car at JZM £55k





Talking of special, limited numbers, manual, NA Porsche… new toy being picked up tmrw. No PASM, lots of bespoke Aluminium, door straps, carbon buckets etc etc. all the good stuff. Hoping for a dry Autumn!

Agate…..hard to beat!

IanB_76

204 posts

22 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
squirdan said:
Not seen the new owner of my CR on here but hopefully he is enjoying it

I do think the CR is quite special, I think the parallel is the 968 Clubsport. Technically a stripped out 968 for recessionary times (sound familiar?) but somehow has the magic dust. Many arguments that it’s not that special but the fact is still sought after and still going up in value!

See the beautiful yellow car at JZM £55k





Talking of special, limited numbers, manual, NA Porsche… new toy being picked up tmrw. No PASM, lots of bespoke Aluminium, door straps, carbon buckets etc etc. all the good stuff. Hoping for a dry Autumn!

Lovely spec Spyder Dan! Fingers crossed for some good weather on collection day!

AndyP74

12 posts

51 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
julian987R said:
Did you sell it as user B21ONY on this thread is looking for what you have for sale..
https://www.caymanoc.com/forums/topic/2742-tidy-98...
Getting a rev-range check done on Monday and assuming all is good with that then my car has a new home. Thanks for helping out here.

julian987R

4,530 posts

41 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
AndyP74 said:
julian987R said:
Did you sell it as user B21ONY on this thread is looking for what you have for sale..
https://www.caymanoc.com/forums/topic/2742-tidy-98...
Getting a rev-range check done on Monday and assuming all is good with that then my car has a new home. Thanks for helping out here.
Glad I could help connecting the dots for you and the buyer. That is great. What are you moving on to next as your car?


AAAndy

684 posts

234 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
I was at the JZM 'Cars & Coffee' meet this morning. There was a nice silver Cayman R up on the ramps in the workshop. It had some lovely looking cargraphic manifolds and what looked like sports cats.

Does it belong to anyone on here? I know that these manifolds/cats are supposed to bring a few more bhp/torque, but I am interested in whether they also add tone/volume to the exhaust as well.