Cayman R Chat

Cayman R Chat

Author
Discussion

Burlers

27 posts

79 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
Great pics there and to hear about Combe; the first time I saw a Cayman R was at Castle Combe. The owner was over from the Channel Islands in a lovely Peridot for his first flying drive; I seem to remember him saying he loved the car but was a bit disappointed with the brakes. I was impressed anyway; wanted one ever since & just achieved this last couple of weeks!! It’s a good fun circuit, must get there again.. First proper spin in mine at the weekend. What an amazing car; much more nimble and up on its toes than the other 987s I’ve had.. almost feels like my old S2 Exige, but in a much more grown up & highly developed way.

I can’t stop looking at it and wanting to drive it! The car has been well loved, thanks to previous owners.


bigmowley

1,133 posts

143 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
Burlers said:
Great pics there and to hear about Combe; the first time I saw a Cayman R was at Castle Combe. The owner was over from the Channel Islands in a lovely Peridot for his first flying drive; I seem to remember him saying he loved the car but was a bit disappointed with the brakes. I was impressed anyway; wanted one ever since & just achieved this last couple of weeks!! It’s a good fun circuit, must get there again.. First proper spin in mine at the weekend. What an amazing car; much more nimble and up on its toes than the other 987s I’ve had.. almost feels like my old S2 Exige, but in a much more grown up & highly developed way.

I can’t stop looking at it and wanting to drive it! The car has been well loved, thanks to previous owners.

Lovely looking car, is that PCCB’s hiding behind the wheels smile wish mine had them, just for the weight saving and better brakes. Standard steel brakes are a bit limp for circuit work but very easy to upgrade, not sure about ceramics on an R but there are no doubt lots of people who do.
They are a lovely car and much more than the sum of their parts, which is typically Porsche. I have had lots of Casters over the years including 981 GT4 and currently have a 718 Spyder. However it is the R that is the pick of the bunch. I love the fact that it doesn’t shout “race car” wannabe, and is so small and delicate looking, I love the feel of driving it, the steering, the LWB’s, the tautness of everything, the precision. The engine is a gem. Not much not to like really.
Happy days.

Burlers

27 posts

79 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
Cheers BM; yes PCCBs cool . The car stops on a dime; they’re incredible! I’m really looking forward to getting it on track. I’m no racing driver and just out for fun so I’ll definitely enjoy putting the Porsche engineering to the test... hopefully they’ll take my efforts wobble

Like the term Casters.. v good

As you say happy days... time to enjoy biggrin


PaulD86

1,276 posts

93 months

Friday 4th June
quotequote all
https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10567965

This one anyone on here? The advert has the incorrect line about the Cayman R being an ECOTY winner that the seller with the two white cars north of £50k was using. Probably copied from their advert.

julian987R

1,392 posts

26 months

Friday 4th June
quotequote all
PaulD86 said:
https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10567965

This one anyone on here? The advert has the incorrect line about the Cayman R being an ECOTY winner that the seller with the two white cars north of £50k was using. Probably copied from their advert.
I think the owner has posted here before. It has been on the market for at least a year. It is fairly priced considering the mileage and spec, very strange how that just won't seem to sell.

bigmowley

1,133 posts

143 months

Friday 4th June
quotequote all
Agreed nice car and spec. The only slight downside must be the PDK, although I love mine, and no PSE. The red belts and green painted bits rather hurt the eyes as well. Sensible mods, saves the new owner paying for them. Perhaps there are some less desirable details not mentioned in the ad?

frayz

2,267 posts

126 months

Friday 4th June
quotequote all

julian987R

1,392 posts

26 months

Babw

742 posts

113 months

Saturday 5th June
quotequote all
julian987R said:
Reserved already?!

julian987R

1,392 posts

26 months

Saturday 5th June
quotequote all
Babw said:
julian987R said:
Reserved already?!
I am surprised it even lasted a day considering the spec, mileage and jzmporsche's pedigree and their client base.

Cheib

20,546 posts

142 months

Saturday 5th June
quotequote all
julian987R said:
Babw said:
julian987R said:
Reserved already?!
I am surprised it even lasted a day considering the spec, mileage and jzmporsche's pedigree and their client base.
I was there this morning picking my car up….prospective buyer was inspecting it then. Cat looked immaculate. Previous owner was a car retailer who had spent a lot more time polishing it than driving it !

julian987R

1,392 posts

26 months

Saturday 5th June
quotequote all
Cheib said:
julian987R said:
Babw said:
julian987R said:
Reserved already?!
I am surprised it even lasted a day considering the spec, mileage and jzmporsche's pedigree and their client base.
I was there this morning picking my car up….prospective buyer was inspecting it then. Cat looked immaculate. Previous owner was a car retailer who had spent a lot more time polishing it than driving it !
Makes me wonder more what is up with that other Peridot listed above that has been on for a good year or so. Cheaper than JZM's - sure more miles (hence cheaper, but not a crazy amount of mlles....., but pretty much identical spec.

on the flip side, JZM's is cheaper than this ...

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11772913

...which has more miles and no buckets, so I don't that will sell anytime soon, if JZM's is a barometer of what sells at seemingly a benchmark of 50K. Of which i only recall the 4k miles Ruby listed for that price that sold, as lets face it, JZM's is only £100 shy of £50K









Andyoz

1,978 posts

21 months

Sunday 6th June
quotequote all
Was on a run today and got complemented on the sound of my R by this 991.1 GT3RS owner.

Was also a 991.2 GT3 in the group...owner said he enjoyed watching my car getting chucked about on our back roads and the flames out the back of exhaust!!

I think I've peaked smilesmile


Andyoz

1,978 posts

21 months

Sunday 6th June
quotequote all

julian987R

1,392 posts

26 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
Andyoz said:
clap
How many R's are there in Ireland? have you met other owners there?

Andyoz

1,978 posts

21 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
julian987R said:
Andyoz said:
clap
How many R's are there in Ireland? have you met other owners there?
I have met one other so far...Black one. There's also a Peridot in Belfast. I think Belfast Porsche sold about three here not that that means much.

julian987R

1,392 posts

26 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
Andyoz said:
julian987R said:
Andyoz said:
clap
How many R's are there in Ireland? have you met other owners there?
I have met one other so far...Black one. There's also a Peridot in Belfast. I think Belfast Porsche sold about three here not that that means much.
Oh I am trying to audit all the black ones. May I ask it is gloss black or basalt and with or without extended leather? Thanks!

Burlers

27 posts

79 months

julian987R

1,392 posts

26 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
Burlers said:
thank you! that is lovely. Gosh I hadn't seen that popup on AT or PH listings. That won't last long on the market, manuals seem to fly off the shelves.
thanks for sharing!

Burlers

27 posts

79 months

Monday 7th June
quotequote all
You’re welcome Julian.

That looked like a cracking drive & meet up there Andy, with some gorgeous cars. Looks like you have a good thing going there.