991 Turbo S gen 1 or 2?

991 Turbo S gen 1 or 2?

Author
Discussion

Zanderman

Original Poster:

998 posts

162 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
Hi all,

I think it is finally time to stop lying to myself and scratch the Turbo S itch!! I wanted to get some thoughts on the different between the gen 1 and 2.

My thoughts are that if I am finally going to pull the trigger on such an expensive purchase (will be my biggest to date!) I might as well bite the bullet and go for the latest and greatest. That said if it isn’t really worth it I don’t mind saving 20-30k.

Thoughts appreciated especially from anyone that has had either or both.

Thanks all!!

arcamalpha

812 posts

114 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
The turbos spin up much faster in the 991.2 and rear wheel steer is really good too. Do you plan on keeping it a while? If so I'd go 991.2 but if it's a 1 year car you might get a better deal on a 991.1.

They are quite spec sensitive. Many have (in my view) awful combinations of bright red seats etc and the more conservatively specced cars get the best prices.

Zanderman

Original Poster:

998 posts

162 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
Really don’t want a black/silver/white car. Really enjoying more colourful cars lately. Will probably keep it for 2 years.

Had a look at this over weekend and loved the colour!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...

arcamalpha said:
The turbos spin up much faster in the 991.2 and rear wheel steer is really good too. Do you plan on keeping it a while? If so I'd go 991.2 but if it's a 1 year car you might get a better deal on a 991.1.

They are quite spec sensitive. Many have (in my view) awful combinations of bright red seats etc and the more conservatively specced cars get the best prices.

arcamalpha

812 posts

114 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
Zanderman said:
Really don’t want a black/silver/white car. Really enjoying more colourful cars lately. Will probably keep it for 2 years.

Had a look at this over weekend and loved the colour!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...

arcamalpha said:
The turbos spin up much faster in the 991.2 and rear wheel steer is really good too. Do you plan on keeping it a while? If so I'd go 991.2 but if it's a 1 year car you might get a better deal on a 991.1.

They are quite spec sensitive. Many have (in my view) awful combinations of bright red seats etc and the more conservatively specced cars get the best prices.
Looks cool. Bright paint is nice I'd say. It's the bright seats and yellow dials etc that put me off.

That seems a reasonable price for the mileage and good to have the 5-lug wheels rather than stupid centre locks.

Zanderman

Original Poster:

998 posts

162 months

Tuesday 12th February 2019
quotequote all
Any owners have any views?

Over over under steer

421 posts

73 months

Tuesday 12th February 2019
quotequote all
Putting performance aside for a second. The ICE (in car entertainment) was improved for the second gen, putting in place apple carplay and a nicer UI.

I have driven only ever driven a 996 turbo so can't speak about performance differences, sorry. Lots of talk about the EPAS getting continually better throughout the 991's lifecycle so you may find steering a bit better in the newer model, but this is not something I know first hand.

You'll be incredibly happy in either I'm sure.

pottman

288 posts

205 months

Tuesday 12th February 2019
quotequote all
I’ve just upgraded from 997 Turbo to 991.1 Turbo S. Considered a 991.2, but couldn’t really justify it on price and the difference in performance is negligible.

As has been said above there are some differences to the PCM, the interior and also the DRLs, but all of this didn’t really persuade me to hold out for a 991.2.

For me the question was whether a GT3 would have been a better prospect than a Turbo S and there are many out there who will go the GT3 route. In my instance the Turbo S is a more usable machine and will be ideal company for this years roads trips to Le Mans, NC500 and Route Napoleon.

Hope this helps.

hippy

CamL

309 posts

172 months

Tuesday 12th February 2019
quotequote all
I have a .1 and have feel no need to switch to a .2. The ICE in the .1, in my case Burmester is very good and I use Deezer which works fine. Just to correct one point above, the .1 cars do have rear wheel steer, and I would not be put off by centre-locks. I can change from winters to summers just as quickly as I could with 5 lug wheels. You just need the correct tools.

I did however pay a visit to Ken at 9e at the back end of last year and he worked his secret sauce tune with hybrid turbos and Kline exhaust/Do88 intercoolers etc. This results in over 740ps which, combined with a new DSC module, lowered springs and a geometry tweak make it the best car I have ever owned by a country mile, and it now sounds great as welllaugh. No plans to sell and can thoroughly recommend this approachbiggrin


arcamalpha

812 posts

114 months

Tuesday 12th February 2019
quotequote all
CamL said:
I have a .1 and have feel no need to switch to a .2. The ICE in the .1, in my case Burmester is very good and I use Deezer which works fine. Just to correct one point above, the .1 cars do have rear wheel steer, and I would not be put off by centre-locks. I can change from winters to summers just as quickly as I could with 5 lug wheels. You just need the correct tools.

I did however pay a visit to Ken at 9e at the back end of last year and he worked his secret sauce tune with hybrid turbos and Kline exhaust/Do88 intercoolers etc. This results in over 740ps which, combined with a new DSC module, lowered springs and a geometry tweak make it the best car I have ever owned by a country mile, and it now sounds great as welllaugh. No plans to sell and can thoroughly recommend this approachbiggrin
:-) apols didn’t know about rear wheel steer on the .1 cars.

Zanderman

Original Poster:

998 posts

162 months

Tuesday 12th February 2019
quotequote all
The car I linked earlier has gone already and one thing that strikes me is a distinct lack of available stock right now and certainly not many interesting colours.

giles panizzi

284 posts

183 months

Wednesday 13th February 2019
quotequote all
Aberdeen!

APOLO1

4,682 posts

144 months

Wednesday 13th February 2019
quotequote all
Done over 100k Miles over 4 years in 4 x 991 Turbos including a Gen2, Track days V-Max etc.

Based on my experience, i would if you can go for the Gen 2. Like above the Gen 2 spools up a bit quicker, also it puts the power down better over the 4 wheels, you also get a bit more induction sound on the up and down shifts. The Gen 2 has slightly wider rear wheels, and whist no more quoted Bhp it does feel a bit more, it also has more TQ when sport plus is engaged. In all it feels a more sharper car.

tuffer

8,587 posts

217 months

Wednesday 13th February 2019
quotequote all
APOLO1 said:
Done over 100k Miles over 4 years in 4 x 991 Turbos including a Gen2, Track days V-Max etc.

Based on my experience, i would if you can go for the Gen 2. Like above the Gen 2 spools up a bit quicker, also it puts the power down better over the 4 wheels, you also get a bit more induction sound on the up and down shifts. The Gen 2 has slightly wider rear wheels, and whist no more quoted Bhp it does feel a bit more, it also has more TQ when sport plus is engaged. In all it feels a more sharper car.
I may be wrong but I thought Gen 1 was 560bhp and Gen 2 was 580?

Deep

775 posts

193 months

Wednesday 13th February 2019
quotequote all
I have the 991.1 and would reiterate what an earlier PHer said; if you only intend to own the car a year or two then buy the .1, if its a car for the next decade then go for the .2.

I'm going to buy one more Turbo S and it Will be for life. I'm 50 and so will drive it for a decade and eventually pass it down to my lazy good for nothing kids lol. Whether its a .2 or a 992 will depend on finances.

It's an awesome car, in a class of its own. It can do so many things brilliantly, you will be chuffed to bits whether you buy the .1 or .2.

Good luck!

Zanderman

Original Poster:

998 posts

162 months

Wednesday 13th February 2019
quotequote all
Thanks for all the responses so far, most useful!

Does anyone know if there is much in it in terms of speed between the two? The .2 is quoted as 2.9 to 60 but has been timed regularly at around 2.6. Is that similar for the .1? (I know 0-60 times aren’t everything but just curious)

CamL

309 posts

172 months

Thursday 14th February 2019
quotequote all
I have this Evo leader board clip in my favourites of the .1 car achieving 2.6 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv8z7inZKpU

I haven't driven a .2 car but I suspect the difference is not too much. Launch control starts are quite amusing if you have a quiet place to do them, particularly if you have a few more BHP than standard biglaugheek

arcamalpha

812 posts

114 months

Thursday 14th February 2019
quotequote all
Zanderman said:
Thanks for all the responses so far, most useful!

Does anyone know if there is much in it in terms of speed between the two? The .2 is quoted as 2.9 to 60 but has been timed regularly at around 2.6. Is that similar for the .1? (I know 0-60 times aren’t everything but just curious)
All-out speed I would say is nigh-on identical between the two. You won’t notice the 20bhp.

However, real world performance of the gen2 is better because the turbos hook up a little quicker especially when using sports+ or sport response which is a little bit like an antilag system. Still not night and day though.

APOLO1

4,682 posts

144 months

Thursday 14th February 2019
quotequote all
Zanderman said:
Thanks for all the responses so far, most useful!

Does anyone know if there is much in it in terms of speed between the two? The .2 is quoted as 2.9 to 60 but has been timed regularly at around 2.6. Is that similar for the .1? (I know 0-60 times aren’t everything but just curious)
The actual BHP diff is 552-571.

In sport Plus mode on the Gen 1 its gives around another 15bhp, on the Gen 2, whist Sport Plus i recall gives a bit more TQ its not any more BHP. You would have to drive both back to back to pick up any difference, even then its a flick of a coin, to pick up on any. One difference i did notice immediately when i drove the Gen 2, was the way it puts the power down over the Gen 1. They did make some changes in this area in the way the TQ is placed over the 4 wheels.

The Gen 2 seems to drive a bit more like a 2WD car at times. One point worth a mention is that whilst both are great fun at V-Max type events. On track after around 20 Mins or so of fast laps the brakes over heat due to cooling. You have to come in an let them call down for around 30 Mins. Also both cars run better on Dunlop race Max. This is the only performance tyre approved for the Turbo S.

Deep

775 posts

193 months

Thursday 14th February 2019
quotequote all
APOLO1 said:
The actual BHP diff is 552-571.

In sport Plus mode on the Gen 1 its gives around another 15bhp, on the Gen 2, whist Sport Plus i recall gives a bit more TQ its not any more BHP. You would have to drive both back to back to pick up any difference, even then its a flick of a coin, to pick up on any. One difference i did notice immediately when i drove the Gen 2, was the way it puts the power down over the Gen 1. They did make some changes in this area in the way the TQ is placed over the 4 wheels.

The Gen 2 seems to drive a bit more like a 2WD car at times. One point worth a mention is that whilst both are great fun at V-Max type events. On track after around 20 Mins or so of fast laps the brakes over heat due to cooling. You have to come in an let them call down for around 30 Mins. Also both cars run better on Dunlop race Max. This is the only performance tyre approved for the Turbo S.
Hi
What do you mean by the way the .2 puts its power down? Are you talking about traction or less understeer....or something else?

Cheers

Anan2030

30 posts

14 months

Thursday 14th February 2019
quotequote all
I would wait 6-7 months , hence save some more money for the 992 turbo s or turbo it won't disappoint.