The new 718 Gt4/Spyder are here!

The new 718 Gt4/Spyder are here!

Author
Discussion

Twinfan

3,910 posts

48 months

Saturday 20th July
quotequote all
There may well be enough to go round if people can wait. I'm not sensing that everyone who was waiting for the release is actively chasing an allocation now that the full specs, prices and initial reviews are out?

2010spy

1,440 posts

108 months

Saturday 20th July
quotequote all
This ^

CrashBang

168 posts

99 months

Saturday 20th July
quotequote all
Tarka said:
Pic of Bucket seat and fire extinguisher in a Cayman T at my OPC today. Fire Ex mounted on seat. I think this will be same for CS pack?
No, this is the optional fire extinguisher, aka Gloria, that can be spec'd on any model, I had one on a 997T.

The 718 CS will have a passenger footwell mounted extinguisher.

fridaypassion

4,506 posts

172 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Mad Scientist said:
All good fun these reviews, and certainly better than love island, but all this talk of lighter clutch, fanny steering, less edge is complete balls. Do they really think they can recall 2015 that well? I’d bet my left foot (which I need for the light 718 clutch) they didn’t drive a 981 up to Knockhill.

I wonder who copies who in these circles too, because they all say the same things. This guy Dan also seems to have taken some journalism instruction off Chris Harris.

I’ll do a proper review of the 981 vs 718 myself, as I’ll have both of them in my garage.

The other thing I think is hilarious is how many people actually think there will be one of these for everyone who wants one!
Eem I think pretty well everyone got a 981 got one that had proper interest lodged? You may recall there were supposed to be 250 and they made just one or two more.

Porsche911R

17,184 posts

209 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
Eem I think pretty well everyone got a 981 got one that had proper interest lodged? You may recall there were supposed to be 250 and they made just one or two more.
Thy could have sold 3x the amount hence the overs.
Even at 600 many did not get one.

This time the demand is down, the price is up and the numbers are up.
Last time round you could not buy a manual gt car. Demand was high.

Edited by Porsche911R on Sunday 21st July 10:04

GT4RS

1,797 posts

141 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
fridaypassion said:
Eem I think pretty well everyone got a 981 got one that had proper interest lodged? You may recall there were supposed to be 250 and they made just one or two more.
Thy could have sold 3x the amount hence the overs.
Even at 600 many did not get one.
Was speaking to a friend of mine on Friday evening who owns a rather nice 991 Targa. He's been calling around a few dealers asking if he could purchase a new GT4, all the ones he spoke to apparently told him sorry all are allocated.


Porsche911R

17,184 posts

209 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
GT4RS said:
Was speaking to a friend of mine on Friday evening who owns a rather nice 991 Targa. He's been calling around a few dealers asking if he could purchase a new GT4, all the ones he spoke to apparently told him sorry all are allocated.
Only 90 odd slots atm, things will change, demand will be down over the last one, due to people owning the last one and also the rebirth of the manual GT3.

Dan's review hit the nail on the head, a frustrating car ruined by a st gearbox.

PDK will be the car to own and as late in the run will be the harder cars to get esp if the PDK is the RS.


av185

8,877 posts

71 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
Eem I think pretty well everyone got a 981 got one that had proper interest lodged? You may recall there were supposed to be 250 and they made just one or two more.
Most OPCs had between 60 and 90 lois, took around 40 deposits but received an average of just c16 cars.

Riverside Red

866 posts

79 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
GT4RS said:
Porsche911R said:
fridaypassion said:
Eem I think pretty well everyone got a 981 got one that had proper interest lodged? You may recall there were supposed to be 250 and they made just one or two more.
Thy could have sold 3x the amount hence the overs.
Even at 600 many did not get one.
Was speaking to a friend of mine on Friday evening who owns a rather nice 991 Targa. He's been calling around a few dealers asking if he could purchase a new GT4, all the ones he spoke to apparently told him sorry all are allocated.
+1....No Boxster Spyder allocation available for a pleb like me....

RR

GT4RS

1,797 posts

141 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
GT4RS said:
Was speaking to a friend of mine on Friday evening who owns a rather nice 991 Targa. He's been calling around a few dealers asking if he could purchase a new GT4, all the ones he spoke to apparently told him sorry all are allocated.
Only 90 odd slots atm, things will change, demand will be down over the last one, due to people owning the last one and also the rebirth of the manual GT3.

Dan's review hit the nail on the head, a frustrating car ruined by a st gearbox.

PDK will be the car to own and as late in the run will be the harder cars to get esp if the PDK is the RS.
Pdk hasn’t even been confirmed officially by Porsche yet and if it does it will be the standard pdk box at extra cost pushing pricing even higher.

I think demand will be higher this time around for the gt4, Porsche aren’t interested in selling the new gt4 to a current 991.2 gt3 manual owner. The car is designed to target new customers who haven’t bought a gt car before.

I appears Porsche are doing their normal thing and limiting supply to drive up demand.

Seems to be the norm now....try and buy a SS Rolex new 🤣

av185

8,877 posts

71 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
GT4RS said:
I think demand will be higher this time around for the gt4
As previously mentioned the 718 GT4 could well end up being a c£105k car if a potential 10%Brexit surcharge is added too. So expensive, especially for a Cayman.

This will tend to dictate the demand for the car more than other factors and if this is the end price point, coupled with the more lukewarm reviews thus far could actually result in there being less demand for the car.

Twinfan

3,910 posts

48 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
^ my thoughts too. There will be people who want one, of course, but there do seem to be people like myself who aren't that impressed with the final result after all this waiting and have decided not to bother chasing one.

Porsche911R

17,184 posts

209 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Its why Jzm sold 3 997 gt cars yesterday after a slow summer.

People waited for a big uplift and it never came.

GT4RS

1,797 posts

141 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
Its why Jzm sold 3 997 gt cars yesterday after a slow summer.

People waited for a big uplift and it never came.
It’s got a whole new 4.0 engine / new rear suspension and a big increase in areo performance.

If that’s not a big uplift i don’t know what is!

It’s also 12 seconds faster around the ring than the last 981 gt4.....


TDT

1,621 posts

63 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
GT4RS said:
Porsche911R said:
Its why Jzm sold 3 997 gt cars yesterday after a slow summer.

People waited for a big uplift and it never came.
It’s got a whole new 4.0 engine / new rear suspension and a big increase in areo performance.

If that’s not a big uplift i don’t know what is!

It’s also 12 seconds faster around the ring than the last 981 gt4.....
What’s new on the rear suspension?
I’ve been on the floor under the car @ Goodwood and talking to the motorsport guys there. Vs a series 718 yes. No changes on the rear vs the 981 GT4 though as far as I could see or heard.

At least 8 seconds of the time around the ring is down to tyres and new surface since 2015. Where it’s known the Porsche 7.40 for the 981 was an estimate not an actual time. Can go to YouTube and easily find vids of normal people doing 7.40 on TF days let alone private tests.
718 GT4 is also faster around the ring than the Carrera GT. but I bet if you took them to the same track on the same day in 2019. E.g. Silverstone next week.… which would be faster.

I’m glad they made the new car. There are some nice touches on it and people that didn’t get a chance last time now have a bit more choice. More GT cars is a good thing. Hopefully they go to the right people.… hopefully that is important to Porsche.

Twinfan

3,910 posts

48 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
Dan's review hit the nail on the head, a frustrating car ruined by a st gearbox.
Yet it's the same gearbox as in your much loved 987 Spyder which you never seem to complain about scratchchin

isaldiri

4,787 posts

112 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
TDT said:
At least 8 seconds of the time around the ring is down to tyres and new surface since 2015. Where it’s known the Porsche 7.40 for the 981 was an estimate not an actual time. Can go to YouTube and easily find vids of normal people doing 7.40 on TF days let alone private tests.
Ok, please find me a 7:40 full lap on a track day by a gt4. SportAuto only managed 7:42 and they are consistently faster than just about even the fastest laps one can find on youtube. And a 7:40 TF day lap is a btg lap and 20-25s slower than a full lap.....

8 seconds being down to tarmac/tyres is purely conjecture as well. I repeat, 12s or whatever is ballpark in the area of improvement of the hallowed 991.2 gt3 which the owners here consistently like to claim is vastly better than the gen1. There's little to suggest the gt4 gen2 improvement will not be on a similar scale tbh.

RSVP911

6,629 posts

77 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
IMHO for what it’s worth, I think it’s as simple as this : if you already have a 981 Spyder / GT4 I cant really see the point if getting fleeced by your OPC on a PX and trading up - the gains will be too small to justify the increased cost. I think if I still had one I’d be delighted.

If you haven’t and you can get one at list or reasonable PX fleece rate, then surely it will be a better bet than the older GT4 / 981 - worse noise yes , same gearing issues (if you think they are an issue) ; yes. But overall I can’t see the new package being worse than the old one. All I can say for now is I like the look of the new cars over the old, but only a little; I can’t comment on the drive for obvious reasons.

I can’t see anyone without one buying the 981 second hand if they can get a reasonable deal on the 718.

Would I pay massive overs for one - absolutely not , just go and buy a 981.

I personally prefer the concept of the 718 as I used my 981 as a DD and in that situation, a lighter clutch pedal will be a blessing (hoping it’s the same as the 991.2 GT3 manual)

Either way - I’d love them to make st loads of them so anyone who wants one can get one smile

fridaypassion

4,506 posts

172 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Ha 90 units. You have to hand it to Porsche the marketing aspect of GT cars is the best in the business. So the official line is they will supply 90 GT4s when the trend for every other GT car is that the numbers go up so we can actually expect 7 or 800? Brilliant.

Does anyone not ever tire of this? I would have been a regular Porsche customer if you could just buy one. I own an aircooled 911 which makes me more dedicated than most Porshe fanboys. I had that and a Cayman at one time and was laughed out of JCT for even thinking it would be a shoe in. Just sell me the damned car! At least it lead me to the Evora which is far better anyway.

Anyone paying 120k plus on overs for a Cayman is crazy this time. GT3s tumbling towards 90k 570s easily obtainable pre reg cars are 130k or a lightly used for 100k. Much has changed since the 981 was launched.

N54

12 posts

4 months

Sunday 21st July
quotequote all
Do we think fitting a sharkwerks exhaust will fix the noise issue?