12 GT4's for sale on PistonHeads and growing (Vol. 2)

12 GT4's for sale on PistonHeads and growing (Vol. 2)

Author
Discussion

Scrump

Original Poster:

14,720 posts

125 months

Wednesday 25th March 2020
quotequote all

JasonSteel

506 posts

63 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
JiggyJaggy said:
Anyone preferred the previous GT4 over the new one? Am concidering getting into one of them again and truly torn between the looks of both.
i was thinking the same and compared the 2. quite an interesting comparison IMHO smile

boxer vs bodybuilder?



and if you black out the 981 rear lights...

SDarks

103 posts

59 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
Thanks for making a comparison like that, good to see them side by side. I think the 718 has more Audi flare to it while the original is pure Porsche subtle flare. Both stunning.

ChrisW.

4,078 posts

222 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
Very very interesting.

A clear effort to get more air through the radiators ....

The rear wing of the 718 in nicer ...

But I think I prefer the look of the 981 ... maybe that's because I own one ? !!

ChrisW.

4,078 posts

222 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
Thanks Tyrone ... yes on the drive back last week it felt very visceral in a refined way !

Now I can't wait to get out, but I will have to smile

TDT

3,004 posts

86 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
Thats a good set of pics to make comparison... Boxer vs Bodybuilder is a great analogy.

Personally think the 981 looks more cohesive and natural, like skin pulled tight over muscle and sinew... more purely athletic.
718 looks overbuilt, visually heavier..has more visual mass, and overtly aggressive in pics, but it does look good in real life.

All in MY opinion of course.

Edited by TDT on Thursday 26th March 08:29

Twinfan

8,260 posts

71 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
Twinfan said:
To me, the 981 GT4 feels more raw only because the engine is rougher and the suspension less sophisticated IMHO. YMMV smile
Armitage.Shanks said:
I know the 981 GT4 is 'technically' not a GT engine aren't GT cars known for the roughness of their engines? Mezger certainly were. On the plus side the lump in it is tried and tested.
A little rough can be fine, my 4.0 is a bit like that until it properly warms up. The 3.8 is differently rough because it feels more restricted and doesn't rev out as well. There must be something in the mapping that does it as the 981 Spyder feels better to me. Freeing up the 3.8 would fix that, hence me saying a 981 would benefit from a few tweaks.

Porsche911R

21,146 posts

232 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
ChrisW. said:
Thanks Tyrone ... yes on the drive back last week it felt very visceral in a refined way !

Now I can't wait to get out, but I will have to smile
did you keep the mx5 30th ?

Armitage.Shanks

1,054 posts

52 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
Hopefully someone will chime in to say they've bought this bargain CS @£59k before long

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/...

Porsche911R

21,146 posts

232 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
Armitage.Shanks said:
Hopefully someone will chime in to say they've bought this bargain CS @£59k before long

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/...
No ones going to be buying anything bar toilet roll and pasta.
And stop lock steering locks, as cars are being stolen big time atm .


Armitage.Shanks

1,054 posts

52 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
Time to buy at a great price. Not a good time to sell.

I'm amazed at how many low ball offers I've put in on eBay and they've accepted.

JiggyJaggy

1,350 posts

107 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
Great comparison on the site by side photos, and that has basically made my mind up that I prefer the 981 "boxer" :-)

Adam B

21,147 posts

221 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
Armitage.Shanks said:
Time to buy at a great price. Not a good time to sell.

I'm amazed at how many low ball offers I've put in on eBay and they've accepted.
For cars?

Armitage.Shanks

1,054 posts

52 months

Thursday 26th March 2020
quotequote all
Adam B said:
Armitage.Shanks said:
Time to buy at a great price. Not a good time to sell.

I'm amazed at how many low ball offers I've put in on eBay and they've accepted.
For cars?
Nope. Not tried that as I'd need a big barn to store them in. It's more for the general shiote that you don't really need but tempts you to make a low ball offer rolleyes

JasonSteel

506 posts

63 months

Friday 27th March 2020
quotequote all
TDT said:
Personally think the 981 looks more cohesive and natural
JiggyJaggy said:
Great comparison on the site by side photos, and that has basically made my mind up that I prefer the 981 "boxer" :-)
i agree, though i've only briefly seen a 718GT4 in the metal on the road and not had a good look at one yet.

if i do upgrade from my current 981GTS, it will most likely be to the 981GT4. agree both look stunning though.

the minor performance and chassis differences don't really matter to me as i'll likely never notice them on the road (or track for that matter).

and the 981 has that epic engine sound that will likely never again feature on a Porsche.

Twinfan

8,260 posts

71 months

Friday 27th March 2020
quotequote all
JasonSteel said:
the minor performance and chassis differences don't really matter to me as i'll likely never notice them on the road (or track for that matter).

and the 981 has that epic engine sound that will likely never again feature on a Porsche.
You would notice the difference in the 718 GT4 handling if you've driven both, I certainly can. A custom mapped DSC controller would level the playing field though.

Porsche911R

21,146 posts

232 months

Friday 27th March 2020
quotequote all
Twinfan said:
You would notice the difference in the 718 GT4 handling if you've driven both, I certainly can. A custom mapped DSC controller would level the playing field though.
have you driven a 981 GT4 on the road ?, and not just that yellow pre production model around pec.

nothing wrong with the 981 GT4 chassis. I cannot see any one noticing the handling, esp as the 718 weighs more !!! so change of direction will be slower, that's just a fact of more weight !

Twinfan

8,260 posts

71 months

Friday 27th March 2020
quotequote all
Yes, and yes you can. They do feel different, as do the engines. The 718 is a .2 update after all, so like previous 997 and 991 GT3s the .2 is always an improvement.

The 981 GT4 is a great car though, especially at the current prices.

Porsche911R

21,146 posts

232 months

Friday 27th March 2020
quotequote all
Twinfan said:
Yes, and yes you can. They do feel different, as do the engines. The 718 is a .2 update after all, so like previous 997 and 991 GT3s the .2 is always an improvement.

The 981 GT4 is a great car though, especially at the current prices.
an update which you will not feel on the road handling wise imo and weight is the 718 downside.

yes the engines better I'll give you that (still torque ltd though), but rather a modded 3.8 unit.

Chassis is bloody good in the 981, it's the gearing letting the cars down and they are the same in both, you cannot say it's the chassis letting the 981 down, it's a mega unit in that dept.

having not driven the 718 GT4 the steering being lighter sounds a bad move ! and we all know about the lack of noise.

on track the 718 GT4 is a far better car no doubt and on the road the lower torque down the revs will make it a slightly better drive.

but at the end of the day it's not a big improvement over all, due to a torque limited engine and long gearing.
Cure those 2 things which a RS might do, it would be pretty mega.

Twinfan

8,260 posts

71 months

Friday 27th March 2020
quotequote all
Come back and comment when you've driven a 718 GT4 smile