How can two 981s be so different?

How can two 981s be so different?

Author
Discussion

AlexNJ89

Original Poster:

566 posts

46 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
DJMC said:
Firstly, forget any with push/pull buttons on the steering wheel. Go for the paddles. Nobody will want one with the buttons when you come to sell.

I tried five standard suspension cars before the PASM version I bought. Standard was OK, but PASM gave more comfort in normal mode, which suits me, and a firmer ride in Sport setting.

Maybe you didn't like either of these and preferred the middle setting of the standard suspension? I'd rate PASM as one of my top three "must haves" in speccing a car. PSE wouldn't even reach my bottom three - awful droning at 70mph. Gave me a headache in a courtesy car.

Have you tried a 2.7? I preferred it to the 3.4, but then I preferred normal and 14 way seats!
Can you have the switchable exhaust without the PSE?

Thanks for your feedback on PASM, I'll give another one a go when on comes up.

Schmed

2,515 posts

39 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
AlexNJ89 said:
Can you have the switchable exhaust without the PSE?
.
No, afaik, unless done aftermarket.

That said even without PSE, the exhaust note will still change when switched into sport mode.

Maxym

1,307 posts

203 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
DJMC said:
Firstly, forget any with push/pull buttons on the steering wheel. Go for the paddles. Nobody will want one with the buttons when you come to sell.

I tried five standard suspension cars before the PASM version I bought. Standard was OK, but PASM gave more comfort in normal mode, which suits me, and a firmer ride in Sport setting.

Maybe you didn't like either of these and preferred the middle setting of the standard suspension? I'd rate PASM as one of my top three "must haves" in speccing a car. PSE wouldn't even reach my bottom three - awful droning at 70mph. Gave me a headache in a courtesy car.

Have you tried a 2.7? I preferred it to the 3.4, but then I preferred normal and 14 way seats!
+1 re the paddles

On 20in wheels I'd defo have PASM - I think it's really good. On 19s it's desirable but not essential.

PSE? I tend not to press the 'listen to me I'm a knob' button but in my experience (981 GTS and 991 T) it makes no difference to the sound/noise at a steady cruise. See what you think.

DJMC

3,067 posts

70 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
Maxym said:
+1 re the paddles

On 20in wheels I'd defo have PASM - I think it's really good. On 19s it's desirable but not essential.

PSE? I tend not to press the 'listen to me I'm a knob' button but in my experience (981 GTS and 991 T) it makes no difference to the sound/noise at a steady cruise. See what you think.
Yes, mine's on 20's. I had PSE off in the courtesy 981 and the drone was still noticeable compared to no PSE at all.

gizlaroc

17,251 posts

191 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
Geo will affect how it feels at 1mph, you can really make a wheel feel light or heavy with small adjustments to geo.

You can totally dial out any of that light feel just off centre, but you may then find the steering a bit busy on the motorway, but well worth it.

Armitage.Shanks

1,053 posts

52 months

Tuesday 15th June
quotequote all
DJMC said:
Yes, mine's on 20's. I had PSE off in the courtesy 981 and the drone was still noticeable compared to no PSE at all.
I thought the drone in the GTS was due to some type of 'sound symposer' that is fitted and what most owners complain about?

Maxym

1,307 posts

203 months

Tuesday 15th June
quotequote all
Armitage.Shanks said:
I thought the drone in the GTS was due to some type of 'sound symposer' that is fitted and what most owners complain about?
I didn't think my GTS sounded much different to my S, any artificial sound notwithstanding.