Anyone else bored with Tesla drivers 'racing' them?

Anyone else bored with Tesla drivers 'racing' them?

Author
Discussion

CheesecakeRunner

1,248 posts

58 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
sevensfun said:
CheesecakeRunner said:
I have a Tesla. I nail it off traffic lights where safe to do so.

I really don't care who is alongside me, I'm not having a race with people who don't know they're in a race. I do it because it's fun.

It's also huge fun in the twisties as well.
Sounds good too? hehe
Yes, the stereo is awesome.

sevensfun

730 posts

3 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
CheesecakeRunner said:
Yes, the stereo is awesome.
Do you track it if it’s so good in twisted?

cossers

2,663 posts

107 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
CloudStuff said:
CheesecakeRunner said:
I have a Tesla. I nail it off traffic lights where safe to do so.

I really don't care who is alongside me, I'm not having a race with people who don't know they're in a race. I do it because it's fun.

It's also huge fun in the twisties as well.

Has to be, just imagine when you drop a gear and hear it woosh through them

sevensfun

730 posts

3 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
cossers said:

Has to be, just imagine when you drop a gear and hear it woosh through them
Whoosh from the amazing sound system rofl

CheesecakeRunner

1,248 posts

58 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
sevensfun said:
Do you track it if it’s so good in twisted?
Haven’t yet, as I’ve only had it six months, but I would.

buddys dad

55 posts

39 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
Tesla...no.
But did pee my pants at the idiot yoof who burnt me off at Sainsbury's lights with his ancient Golf diesel last Sunday morning.
Late for Mass obvs


hunter 66

3,431 posts

187 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
Have an X and yes leccy is the future .... but still like drive my old Manual 993 GT2 R , on track .... slow but old school fun .

Lincsls1

2,081 posts

107 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
Just let them get on with it and admire the amount of sheer skill and driver input required to blow you away from the lights!laugh

NicG

90 posts

161 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
For those who don’t think EV’s can be fun to drive, drive one before passing judgement. I’m not an EV owner or apologist and agree with the argument that they lack character but having driven a few, including an iPace and a Taycan, I had a lot of fun. Instant torque and a low centre of gravity make them very effective ‘point and squirters’. I am not going to trade my 992 for a Taycan but that’s only because I like the sound of a flat 6 not because the Taycan isn’t fun. The Tesla 3 gets excellent reviews for the way it drives (and it’s stereo!).

cervezaman

274 posts

108 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
I got overtaken by a Nissan Leaf while driving my 992 the other week on a B road taking the kids to school!! I was amazed by their audacity as I wasn’t going that slow (55 ish) !! Does that count?

Evo9lution

589 posts

107 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
cervezaman said:
I got overtaken by a Nissan Leaf while driving my 992 the other week on a B road taking the kids to school!! I was amazed by their audacity as I wasn’t going that slow (55 ish) !! Does that count?
That's a Give Up And Sell The 992 moment, I'm afraid! You know that the driver was a parent of one of the kids at the school, too, so your kids will get constant abuse now!

Gary C

8,112 posts

146 months

Tuesday 8th June
quotequote all
NicG said:
For those who don’t think EV’s can be fun to drive, drive one before passing judgement. I’m not an EV owner or apologist and agree with the argument that they lack character but having driven a few, including an iPace and a Taycan, I had a lot of fun. Instant torque and a low centre of gravity make them very effective ‘point and squirters’. I am not going to trade my 992 for a Taycan but that’s only because I like the sound of a flat 6 not because the Taycan isn’t fun. The Tesla 3 gets excellent reviews for the way it drives (and it’s stereo!).
Well said

shantybeater

1,025 posts

136 months

Wednesday 9th June
quotequote all
Never even given a second look at one to find out if they try. About as interested in a Tesla as I am a run of the mil Vauxhall corsa, it’s just an A to B utility vehicle.

Chubbyross

2,237 posts

52 months

Wednesday 9th June
quotequote all
Someone in a Tesla wanted to race me today on the A1(M). I didn’t bother. He could have beaten me. I was having more fun with the roof down singing my idiot heart out and grinning at the Porsche logo on the steering wheel.

Red 5

808 posts

147 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
The powerful big saloon cars of any era are typically faster than the sports cars.
Bigger RS/AMG/M type things have always been able to leave a 986/7/8/2 off the lights.
Some are now electric, but attract similar behaviour.

My Dad used to feel smug when he could outdrag ‘Silly little sports cars’ in his big powerful Zephur Six.

Gary C

8,112 posts

146 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
Red 5 said:
The powerful big saloon cars of any era are typically faster than the sports cars.
Bigger RS/AMG/M type things have always been able to leave a 986/7/8/2 off the lights.
Some are now electric, but attract similar behaviour.

My Dad used to feel smug when he could outdrag ‘Silly little sports cars’ in his big powerful Zephur Six.
Thats odd, a 1972 Zephyr 6 with about 71hp max and 1200kg against the ubiquitous 1972 MGB with about 95 hp max and 1100kgs ?

Red 5

808 posts

147 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
Gary C said:
Red 5 said:
The powerful big saloon cars of any era are typically faster than the sports cars.
Bigger RS/AMG/M type things have always been able to leave a 986/7/8/2 off the lights.
Some are now electric, but attract similar behaviour.

My Dad used to feel smug when he could outdrag ‘Silly little sports cars’ in his big powerful Zephur Six.
Thats odd, a 1972 Zephyr 6 with about 71hp max and 1200kg against the ubiquitous 1972 MGB with about 95 hp max and 1100kgs ?
All before I was born!
He had that and some Jag saloons too, so I could be muddling up my stories smile

MG Ant

70 posts

90 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
Gary C said:
Thats odd, a 1972 Zephyr 6 with about 71hp max and 1200kg against the ubiquitous 1972 MGB with about 95 hp max and 1100kgs ?

The 3 litre Essex in these cars was good for 138 bhp and around 170 lb ft... MGB was 95/110...

MG Ant

70 posts

90 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
Zetec-S said:
No different to ICE vehicles really. 30 years ago you'd be hard pushed to imagine a Golf with 300bhp+, now everyone* has something equivalent.

I think the "danger" will be when EV's become so commonplace that your average family car has huge amounts of torque on standby. At the moment if I catch up with someone plodding along at 40-50mph in a NSL I know my Focus ST has enough grunt to get quickly past, even if they're the sort of throbbing Road Captain who will try to speed up and prevent the overtake. In a few years time I might still have the power to get past but would end up at much higher speeds to do it.

* ok, maybe not quite everyone, but it's not exactly unusual
I think that's the point... there will be some horrendous TL GP incidents in next couple of years when it's so easy for idiots to reach 100 in just a few seconds in their EV... to prove what?

I don't want to be near anyone else's accident, so deliberately set off 1s behind any suspected EV warrior. In any case, the time to get by is when they've settled down to 50 mph cruise to maintain their range...

Lincsls1

2,081 posts

107 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
MG Ant said:
I think that's the point... there will be some horrendous TL GP incidents in next couple of years when it's so easy for idiots to reach 100 in just a few seconds in their EV... to prove what?

I don't want to be near anyone else's accident, so deliberately set off 1s behind any suspected EV warrior. In any case, the time to get by is when they've settled down to 50 mph cruise to maintain their range...
There's truth in this.
Some silly fker in one of these Jaguar EV's nearly side swiped me on a roundabout a few days ago quite simply because he was being a dick and accelerated far too hard! I really heard the whine of his motors such was the intended aggression! It wasn't a case of me pulling out on him, just the consequence of his foolish acceleration and vehicle ability.
He was on my right and at a junction, I was at another junction of the RB, plenty of scope to pull on to it, but the rate at which he did was dam right dangerous and totally unnecessary spoiling the 'flow' of the RB.
I hope at some point acceleration limiters become a thing.