Panamera Depreciation

Panamera Depreciation

Author
Discussion

EGTE

995 posts

149 months

Wednesday 6th November 2019
quotequote all
If you work out the worst-case scenario (diesels bans proliferate, value crashes, Porsche don't take care) versus the difference in fuel costs of running a Turbo/GTS, the decision may be easier to make?

My Turbo has just turned 10 years old, I don't do that many miles (52,000 miles total) so the MPG is almost inconsequential; it remains faultless and a joy to drive/own.

XMA Simon

253 posts

120 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
EGTE said:
If you work out the worst-case scenario (diesels bans proliferate, value crashes, Porsche don't take care) versus the difference in fuel costs of running a Turbo/GTS, the decision may be easier to make?

My Turbo has just turned 10 years old, I don't do that many miles (52,000 miles total) so the MPG is almost inconsequential; it remains faultless and a joy to drive/own.
Yeah. You are looking at £10-20k sticker price difference for a Turbo vs a similar age 4S Diesel. I say headline as the Turbos usually come kidded out with slightly more decent options too. Not always, but often. I can see a reason the Diesel exists if you are doing really big mileages for work for example. But I agree with you... for most people - and certainly for me - I think the Turbo represents a better buy.

EGTE

995 posts

149 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
Go for it!

RDMcG

16,434 posts

174 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
Depreciation monster - was well aware of the huge drop on these cars but I bought one anyway and I love it...


Cheib

20,543 posts

142 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
RDMcG said:
Depreciation monster - was well aware of the huge drop on these cars but I bought one anyway and I love it...

I think that’s the best picture I have ever seen of a Panamera! Love the spec on your car.....specced by someone who knows what he wants and went for it....so refreshing in a sea of grey, white, silver and black.

RDMcG

16,434 posts

174 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
Cheib said:
I think that’s the best picture I have ever seen of a Panamera! Love the spec on your car.....specced by someone who knows what he wants and went for it....so refreshing in a sea of grey, white, silver and black.
Thankssmile.I deleted all chrome, rear turbo badging, did black leather and CF interior, no wood. No radar-type driver aids, no ceramics, added torque vectoring, sport chrono, 21" wheels. Turbo, no hybrid. 550 BHP. Obviously not a natural track car but did it anyway.

EGTE

995 posts

149 months

Friday 8th November 2019
quotequote all
That's a nice spec.

I have mine in Yachting Blue with Ivory leather, but I might get the Turbo badging removed as well.

Cheib

20,543 posts

142 months

Friday 8th November 2019
quotequote all
RDMcG said:
Thankssmile.I deleted all chrome, rear turbo badging, did black leather and CF interior, no wood. No radar-type driver aids, no ceramics, added torque vectoring, sport chrono, 21" wheels. Turbo, no hybrid. 550 BHP. Obviously not a natural track car but did it anyway.
Is it Carmine or Guards ? Sometimes the former comes out much lighter.

No wood is the correct answer ! I know it’s popular in North America but I just don’t like it on Porsche’s or even when I had BMW’s for that matter. Worst Porsche I have ever seen was an old shape Penny in light green metallic with a wooden steering wheel.

av185

13,723 posts

94 months

Friday 8th November 2019
quotequote all
Yep old wood or the burr walnut often seen on e36 and e39 BMWs does look quite horrific now. Same story with older Mercs.

RDMcG

16,434 posts

174 months

Friday 8th November 2019
quotequote all
Cheib said:
Is it Carmine or Guards ? Sometimes the former comes out much lighter.

No wood is the correct answer ! I know it’s popular in North America but I just don’t like it on Porsche’s or even when I had BMW’s for that matter. Worst Porsche I have ever seen was an old shape Penny in light green metallic with a wooden steering wheel.
Carmine. I also have an old SL 500 where I specified aluminium instead of wood against dealer advice. Now, when I see a car of that vitage the wood interior looks like a radiogram.

Cheib

20,543 posts

142 months

Friday 8th November 2019
quotequote all
EGTE said:
That's a nice spec.

I have mine in Yachting Blue with Ivory leather, but I might get the Turbo badging removed as well.
?
Yachting Blue ?! That sounds lovely. ? Any pics ? I saw a pic of a Yachting Blue GT car the other day on Insta, looked absolutely fantastic.

PSB1

2,717 posts

71 months

Friday 8th November 2019
quotequote all
RDMcG said:
Cheib said:
Is it Carmine or Guards ? Sometimes the former comes out much lighter.

No wood is the correct answer ! I know it’s popular in North America but I just don’t like it on Porsche’s or even when I had BMW’s for that matter. Worst Porsche I have ever seen was an old shape Penny in light green metallic with a wooden steering wheel.
Carmine. I also have an old SL 500 where I specified aluminium instead of wood against dealer advice. Now, when I see a car of that vitage the wood interior looks like a radiogram.
Carmine = smokin

EGTE

995 posts

149 months

Sunday 16th August 2020
quotequote all
Cheib said:
EGTE said:
That's a nice spec.

I have mine in Yachting Blue with Ivory leather, but I might get the Turbo badging removed as well.
?
Yachting Blue ?! That sounds lovely. ? Any pics ? I saw a pic of a Yachting Blue GT car the other day on Insta, looked absolutely fantastic.
Sorry I missed this, Cheib.





Cimaguy

Original Poster:

456 posts

39 months

Monday 28th December 2020
quotequote all
The prices have plummeted on the Panny Turbo. Models are now sub 70-75k!

Tasty however there have a long way to fall!

thomson

289 posts

170 months

Tuesday 12th January
quotequote all
I bought a 10 year old Turbo just before lockdown v1. Agree with the mpg etc being irrelevent on something that does minimal miles, although I did spend over £500 on fuel in the space of 2 weeks when I first got it .. Mines jet green, 21" wheels, PCCB, no Burmester though but can't have it all.

Paulduckworth

28 posts

61 months

Wednesday 13th January
quotequote all
Having spent the last 10 years doing at least 30k miles per year in family diesels I used some hefty man maths (working from home now) to justify this 2018 4S ST



First Porsche and absolutely loving it. It's done quite a bit depreciating from new but I've managed to heavily depreciate my previous cars with mileage!

Not Ideal

2,754 posts

155 months

Wednesday 13th January
quotequote all
Wow! That looks ace.

Absolutely love these things.

Paulduckworth

28 posts

61 months

Wednesday 13th January
quotequote all
Not Ideal said:
Wow! That looks ace.

Absolutely love these things.
Thanks - I've always had a soft spot for the Sport Turismo. Practicality was confirmed when I was able to use it to go and collect my son's wheels that were in for a refurb this morning smile .

I thought I really liked my previous car - a 2019 A6 Avant 2l TDI - until my wife got a new M135i a few months ago and I realised that I wanted something more exciting.


Edited by Paulduckworth on Wednesday 13th January 12:54

9153mark

136 posts

146 months

Monday 8th February
quotequote all
Congrats. Looks great...
Same issue here, my 15 330 msport touring is feeling very analogue compared to Mrs R's new Velar.
Been eyeing Panemeras for me too.... It's anatursl chain reaction thing!

GordonGekko

40 posts

56 months

Thursday 1st April
quotequote all
We have used a 2012 Panamera diesel as an every day car for the last 3 years.
It has been such a good all round performer doing everything 8/10 - comfort, performance, style, practicality, running costs.

It’s nice to drive slowly around town, good on country roads, amazing on GT blasts.

Fuel consumption is amazingly good for a larger car. Worst has been 38mpg; best 60mpg.

On a recent varied road type high speed journey with several 120-150+mph stretches, it still averaged over 40mpg.

There is a lot of plastic buttons/switches but generally they are acceptable.
The chrome trim embellishers on the window switches break off easily, but not a big issue.
Steel coil springs and cast iron brakes make the ride occasionally harsh, so air suspension may give a better ride quality.

A local independent Porsche specialist does the annual maintenance and repairs for a good price.

Overall it’s a very good car which for my family has no obvious better prospect available.

At a current market value £20-22k they seem bargain of the classifieds.
We bought it for £27k 3 years ago financing it using 10% deposit, as larger balloon as possible, and a 4 year period. Costs £308/month - cheaper than walking!

If anybody is considering one, the diesel is highly recommended.