944T/968 how many years owned?

944T/968 how many years owned?

Author
Discussion

blade7

Original Poster:

9,756 posts

175 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
My original 2.5 has just ticked over 100k, and AFAIK it's all good. If it went wrong though, I'd have to fit all the 3.0 parts I've collected over the last decade. scratchchin

Penguinracer

992 posts

165 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
Mine had 134K miles when I bought it.
The interior was fine & I had two new front wings put on & some paint work done before it went into dehumidified storage.
Now everything was removed from the shell, ( engine, transmission, torque tube, suspension, brakes, fuel tank etc) every bearing replaced, all gaskets, everything replated, new radiator, oil coolers, intercooler, steering rack, power steering pump, alternator, starter motor, clutch master & slave cylinders, brake master cylinder, brake servo etc.

Your sounds like it's been well maintained - mine was ok but getting a little tired.


james0

276 posts

165 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
That sounds an awsome car!
Well, at the other end of the scale you pair have inspired me to source a VW coil pack with built in ignitors so I can have a play with a wasted spark setup. I'm not totally convinced but if I never have to bugger around with the stupid spring fasteners on the dizzy again then it might be worth it.


I'm still waiting for decent weather to swap the front hub assemblies to the later type. I have the hubs ready to go with fresh bearings.

blade7

Original Poster:

9,756 posts

175 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
Penguinracer said:
Mine had 134K miles when I bought it.

Your sounds like it's been well maintained - mine was ok but getting a little tired.
I got a lot of history with it, and there's been quite a few years where it did a very low mileage. At nearly 30 years old It says a lot about how Porsche used to build cars. That and it's only been on a wet road 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years.

blade7

Original Poster:

9,756 posts

175 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
james0 said:
Well, at the other end of the scale you pair have inspired me to source a VW coil pack with built in ignitors so I can have a play with a wasted spark setup. I'm not totally convinced but if I never have to bugger around with the stupid spring fasteners on the dizzy again then it might be worth it.
I struggled with the distributor until I put a dot of paint on the screws to show where the hook was pointing. I think wasted spark may work on turbos because there's a better spark at higher revs/compression.

james0

276 posts

165 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
Blade7, good idea! I resorted to unbolting the whole housing, then fitted the cap.
With your car and mileage I'd be reluctant to modify it .
Mine as you'll remember is never going to be original or mint, rough would be a fair description. I have no qualms messing about with it, using it for tip runs or MTB transport. Can a lux still be had for sensible money? Might be a good home for all those 3litre goodies you've been hoarding?

blade7

Original Poster:

9,756 posts

175 months

Thursday 16th January
quotequote all
I suppose it's worth £18-20k, but it's not something that matters to me at the moment. They're still reasonably fast, and more importantly they drive well. Re your car it's a while since I saw it, but any car can be restored.

rufusgti

2,332 posts

151 months

Thursday 16th January
quotequote all
I just spotted this advert on marketplace for a 3.0 engine.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/28190159...

Could be worth it for some parts for someone.

blade7

Original Poster:

9,756 posts

175 months

Thursday 16th January
quotequote all
Saw that too, seems like a lot of money for a non runner to me.

2Btoo

2,019 posts

162 months

Friday 24th January
quotequote all
Bit late to this thread but I bought my S2 in 2005 and ran it as a daily in London until last year. Did almost exactly 100,000 miles on it in that time, changed the head gasket and clutch and rebuilt the suspension (twice).

ULEZ has priced me off the road so I bought a 987 Cayman as a replacement daily and have put the 944 into a garage for now. I'll bring her out some time in the future when either I've moved out of London or she's old enough to be ULEZ-exempt (i.e. 40 years old).

My 987 is a lovely car. But I still prefer the 944. (Shame I can't drive her!)

Lowtimer

4,203 posts

127 months

Wednesday 29th January
quotequote all
I've had my 1990 Turbo for 10 years now. Did the sills, put it on fresh standard suspension, lightly tweaked engine with DPW, everything on the car works. I've taken it from 83,000 miles to about 104,000, it still makes me happy every time I go out in it.

rootsandculture

94 posts

44 months

Wednesday 29th January
quotequote all
2Btoo said:
Bit late to this thread but I bought my S2 in 2005 and ran it as a daily in London until last year. Did almost exactly 100,000 miles on it in that time, changed the head gasket and clutch and rebuilt the suspension (twice).

ULEZ has priced me off the road so I bought a 987 Cayman as a replacement daily and have put the 944 into a garage for now. I'll bring her out some time in the future when either I've moved out of London or she's old enough to be ULEZ-exempt (i.e. 40 years old).

My 987 is a lovely car. But I still prefer the 944. (Shame I can't drive her!)
Still driving my 944 t daily in London for the moment, I reckon the classic insurance offsets the future ulez to a large degree

2Btoo

2,019 posts

162 months

Wednesday 29th January
quotequote all
rootsandculture said:
Still driving my 944 t daily in London for the moment, I reckon the classic insurance offsets the future ulez to a large degree
Good lad, well done.

Interesting point about classic insurance. The insurance on my Cayman was a bit more than that on the 944 but not a lot more. Not enough to offset the ULEZ cost, for sure. Having said that, I never had proper classic insurance on my 944 as it was kept on the road and was an only car which meant that classic insurers wouldn't cover it.

The economics would also depend upon how often you use the car and hence how much ULEZ charge you would end up paying. I'm jealous of you if you are keeping hold of your 951 though!

kingroon

82 posts

85 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
Only had my 968S for a year or so, and after a bit of stress at the end of the Summer was in the process of moving it on.. Glad I didn't because having sold my 993 at Xmas, it's now my only Car..!

Might be joined by a 996 this year..

nick_968

544 posts

197 months

Friday 28th February
quotequote all
20 years. 968 now 3.0 8v turbo. Would love to do 16v one day but time is in short supply.

Lots of people who think they know what they are doing when tuning these cars (turbos) but very few who actually do. Most just do their R&D with your hard earned. Lots of stories of engines going bang over the years especially in the UK where the knowledge is limited and fragmented. It's easy to pick a pile of parts from a catalogue and put them together but not so easy to make them all work together in harmony. Even harder on a 968 when you need to sort all the cooling issues. At least everything is in the right place on the 951! Good fun when you get it right though smile


blade7

Original Poster:

9,756 posts

175 months

Saturday 29th February
quotequote all
nick_968 said:
20 years. 968 now 3.0 8v turbo. Would love to do 16v one day but time is in short supply.
Your spare block is almost an antique now biggrin.

nick_968

544 posts

197 months

Sunday 8th March
quotequote all
blade7 said:
Your spare block is almost an antique now biggrin.
It's made of unobtainium too!

blade7

Original Poster:

9,756 posts

175 months

Sunday 8th March
quotequote all
nick_968 said:
blade7 said:
Your spare block is almost an antique now biggrin.
It's made of unobtainium too!
Some new blocks were available recently.

Gixer968CS

239 posts

47 months

Wednesday 11th March
quotequote all
As you may be able to guess from my user name, I have owned a 968 Clubsport. I sold a late bridge spoiler M030 944S2 with an LSD to buy it and in many ways wished I hadn't and that's because I had the 968CS as my only car and so had to use it for all occasions and it was a pain. Mine had the fixed back Recaros which made getting in and out a struggle and then there was the lack of air-con which on a summer trip almost killed me in a stationary traffic jam on a Swiss motorway!!

All that said, I owned it for 5 years and if used for what it was meant for it was a hoot. One particular track day at Bedford Autodrome sticks in the mind where I was black flagged and when I came in looking puzzled I was advised to slow down as my four wheel drifts were looking pretty full on around the final right hand bend on to the pit-straight. It was so easy, and trust me that isn't the kind of thing I do!!

A great car if you can afford to have it as a toy and use it on track. Sadly, I don't suppose many 968CSs get used that way now.
As a regular road car the 944 was much easier to life with. Biggest regret (now) was selling the CS for £19k! Mind you, I sold a completely restored Mk1 RS2000 for £2,500K back in the day frown


blade7

Original Poster:

9,756 posts

175 months

Wednesday 11th March
quotequote all
Gixer968CS said:
All that said, I owned it for 5 years and if used for what it was meant for it was a hoot. One particular track day at Bedford Autodrome sticks in the mind where I was black flagged and when I came in looking puzzled I was advised to slow down as my four wheel drifts were looking pretty full on around the final right hand bend on to the pit-straight. It was so easy, and trust me that isn't the kind of thing I do!!
I've always wonder how different a 968CS is to drive, compared to a similar spec late 944 turbo?