968 clubsport or 944 turbo

968 clubsport or 944 turbo

Author
Discussion

IMI A

8,660 posts

168 months

Saturday 3rd April
quotequote all
There's a lovely old new 944 turbo in the classifieds. Absolutely stunning in black on skinny 16 inch tele dials. Nicest I've seen in a while if straight.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11206372

blade7

10,420 posts

183 months

Sunday 4th April
quotequote all
No engine or underneath pic, and patina at 22k miles? Personally I'm not a fan of black, and I prefer 250 bhp spec cars. I'm all for proper money for proper cars. But it's not all about the odometer...

Edited by blade7 on Sunday 4th April 12:01

IMI A

8,660 posts

168 months

Sunday 4th April
quotequote all
Yes noticed a bit of patina at 22k miles but it is 30 years old and agree black a nightmare but do like her on its 16 inch tele dials. A 3.2 Carrera or similar air cooled of similar year so much better classic car experience in terms of reliability, character and over all ease of ownership hence 944 has never had same cult following.

blade7

10,420 posts

183 months

Sunday 4th April
quotequote all
I get the 911 thing, but a 997 turbo makes a lot more sense to me than a 3.2 or a 964. Sure they sound and look better than a 944 turbo, but they're flawed aren't they. I remember being all over a 964 in my chipped RS Cosworth 30 years ago, and a 944 turbo is a better engineered car than a 3 door Cosworth.

ChrisW.

4,078 posts

222 months

Sunday 4th April
quotequote all
blade7 said:
Who said?
Sorry, it was Kawasaki ...

s m

21,066 posts

170 months

Sunday 4th April
quotequote all
NIgt3 said:
If you had to buy one of these, which one would it be and why? Have a bit of spare cash and I’m thinking of one, weekend drives and a bit of cleaning, maybe keep it for 5 years and move it on, all views welcome!
944 turbo for me personally

May as well get the faster car and better to drive from my experience

blade7

10,420 posts

183 months

Sunday 4th April
quotequote all
s m said:
NIgt3 said:
If you had to buy one of these, which one would it be and why? Have a bit of spare cash and I’m thinking of one, weekend drives and a bit of cleaning, maybe keep it for 5 years and move it on, all views welcome!
944 turbo for me personally

May as well get the faster car and better to drive from my experience
If Porsche had updated the rear suspension, and turbocharged the S2/968 engine, it would have seriously dented 911 sales.


ChrisW.

4,078 posts

222 months

Sunday 4th April
quotequote all
I agree with you ... the 944 was a 200,000 mile machine ... but Porsche nailed their future to the 911.

The 968 shared a lot of 993 design but both were swept aside by the 996 / Boxster which saved their bacon.

Kawasicki

9,590 posts

202 months

Monday 5th April
quotequote all
My 944 Turbo (the 250bhp version) had an issue with momentarily continuing to deliver power if you lifted off the accelerator. No big deal in a straight line or if you are accelerating out of a corner under the limit.

Pushing it hard out of corners, where the chassis itself was freakishly brilliant, the lag on shutting down engine power caused a few extremely hairy moments in my ownership.

blade7

10,420 posts

183 months

Monday 5th April
quotequote all
Must have felt like an air cooled 911 smile.

s m

21,066 posts

170 months

Monday 5th April
quotequote all
blade7 said:
Must have felt like an air cooled 911 smile.
Yes, the contemporary 911 was supposed to be pretty hairy if you were inexperienced

IMI A

8,660 posts

168 months

Monday 5th April
quotequote all
blade7 said:
I get the 911 thing, but a 997 turbo makes a lot more sense to me than a 3.2 or a 964. Sure they sound and look better than a 944 turbo, but they're flawed aren't they. I remember being all over a 964 in my chipped RS Cosworth 30 years ago, and a 944 turbo is a better engineered car than a 3 door Cosworth.
The 997 turbo is very similar to a 944 turbo IMO in many ways and I have never thought of it like that before. The 944 and 997 turbo are both fast comfortable private jets. The air cooled are second world war fighter planes.

Best mate's dad had Sapphire after 3 door Cosworth nicked off drive one night. Comparing it to 944 turbo embarrassing. Fast jet vs tractor in term of engineering and build quality. Love both. Mate snuck out in Sapphire one night after passing his driving test. Yep wrapped it around lamp post. Feckers still grounded and he's now 50 hehe

blade7

10,420 posts

183 months

Monday 5th April
quotequote all
18 years after I sold mine, I'd still have plenty of respect for a modified 3dr Cos, in a straight line at least. What they might lack in cornering grip, they make up for with high speed down force. Flat out, mine always felt rock solid. And the 16v head and relatively large turbo mounted close, punched above it's weight at 18lbs boost. But, a good 944 turbo is a better car, and quite a lot cheaper at the moment. I think the 997tt would probably be 20mph faster every where, even if it didn't feel like it.

Edited by blade7 on Monday 5th April 17:54

s m

21,066 posts

170 months

Monday 5th April
quotequote all
IMI A said:
The 997 turbo is very similar to a 944 turbo IMO in many ways and I have never thought of it like that before. The 944 and 997 turbo are both fast comfortable private jets. The air cooled are second world war fighter planes.

Best mate's dad had Sapphire after 3 door Cosworth nicked off drive one night. Comparing it to 944 turbo embarrassing. Fast jet vs tractor in term of engineering and build quality. Love both. Mate snuck out in Sapphire one night after passing his driving test. Yep wrapped it around lamp post. Feckers still grounded and he's now 50 hehe
Sapphire was an E30 M3/Mercedes 190 2.5-16 competitor really - hence all the comparison tests where it did pretty well against them in terms of performance/handling. These were all 200bhp 3-box saloon cars with 4 seats, a boot and weighing 1200-1300kg

Don’t think they were ever marketed to compete with the 911/944 Turbo which were over double the money and had a significant wodge more power

IMI A

8,660 posts

168 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
I think the 944 turbo was more than double than Sierra Cosworth. Our Sept 88 944 turbo with 250bhp was 40k I think from memory. Cosworth was less than 20k I think? Comparable performance though which is astonishing for the Ford. Real hero car.

s m

21,066 posts

170 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
IMI A said:
I think the 944 turbo was more than double than Sierra Cosworth. Our Sept 88 944 turbo with 250bhp was 40k I think from memory. Cosworth was less than 20k I think? Comparable performance though which is astonishing for the Ford. Real hero car.
Yep, that was about right certainly in 88 when the 250bhp 944 Turbo was on sale
The Sapphire was really to take on sports saloons in the market rather than bespoke sportsters like the 911/944
The only time I can really remember them being compared to the 944 was in a couple of handling tests and they used the slower 944 S2

blade7

10,420 posts

183 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
IMI A said:
I think the 944 turbo was more than double than Sierra Cosworth. Our Sept 88 944 turbo with 250bhp was 40k I think from memory. Cosworth was less than 20k I think? Comparable performance though which is astonishing for the Ford. Real hero car.
The first 86 Cosworths were around £17k. And 86 944 turbos were low £30's. So yes around half price. I think list on my 91 turbo was nearly £50k, probably plenty of discount available though.

s m

21,066 posts

170 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
I remember CAR compared the 220bhp 944 Turbo to a 911 Carrera in 85, then the 250bhp was in a group test with the 911 Turbo and 928S4 in early 89
Performance Car pitted the 220bhp and 250bhp versions against Ferraris

Autocar had the 250bhp Turbo up against a 911 Carrera CS

IMI A

8,660 posts

168 months

Tuesday 6th April
quotequote all
Wow I read that Autocar article in period. Didn't agree with it at the time as when we raced a 3.2 Carrera or 911 turbo on road destroyed them smile


blade7

10,420 posts

183 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
I read a old review where someone picked up a 250 bhp turbo press car from Porsche. On the Autobahn they had a play with a Testarossa, and easily matched it to very high speeds. I can't see a standard turbo doing that, so I guess it was chipped. It does suggest that the production 944 turbo was restricted by Porsche, so it didn't embarrass the 911.