355 price correction

355 price correction

Author
Discussion

Drclarke

1,125 posts

155 months

Thursday 4th August
quotequote all
markst said:
i wonder how much prices will fall ?
Or they will go up

Rari

104 posts

177 months

Thursday 4th August
quotequote all
markst said:
i wonder how much prices will fall ?
They’re not, currently going through the roof. Try find a decent manual - very difficult under £100k. These seem to be $150-300k in the states.

I inquired about a blue manual spider yesterday yesterday listed at £100k and apparently a dealer has already offered £110k for the car and no doubt has an onward buyer lined up.

I reckon these are the next Dino….

Notsip8

53 posts

86 months

Friday 5th August
quotequote all
bordseye said:
Thats quite possible but many posters on here are over optimistic because they havent been through the serious downwards slides in "collectables" in the past. I have a couple of pals in the FOC who have owned their 328s since the cars first came out and they have seen them twice slide down to 20/30k for good examples and then back up to 80k only now to be heading south again. None of the standard cars from 308 through to 488 are in the same rarity category as the likes of the Daytona so you cant expect them to ever get anywhere near the price of real collector cars or have the same price stability. They are bought by people who are subject to the state of the economy and that is currently going t***t up. As the owners hurt so will the car prices.

And dont forget that much of the value is down to the name. Is a Ferrari worth more in engineering terms than a Porker or an Aston? No it isnt, not really. So just like Rolex watches they will go down in price in a down cycle like now.
Very sensible opinion.

jason61c

5,336 posts

156 months

Monday 29th August
quotequote all
Rari said:
They’re not, currently going through the roof. Try find a decent manual - very difficult under £100k. These seem to be $150-300k in the states.

I inquired about a blue manual spider yesterday yesterday listed at £100k and apparently a dealer has already offered £110k for the car and no doubt has an onward buyer lined up.

I reckon these are the next Dino….
have you spotted it for sale again yet?

Rari

104 posts

177 months

Monday 29th August
quotequote all
jason61c said:
have you spotted it for sale again yet?
No but this Le Mans blue has just been listed with Meridien. What a stunning looking car and has sports seats:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208249...

bordseye

1,807 posts

174 months

Tuesday 30th August
quotequote all
Ferruccio said:
You can always get bits made. Might not be cheap, but gets you back on the road.
Sometimes cheaper than factory part though.
Likely correct for "greasy bits". But how about ECUs? Particularly if there is no way of loading up the factory software.

I heard a story from a dealer of McLaren having to scout ebay for an old Windows 3.1 PC so that they could work on one of the original F1/P1 ( I can never remember which is which, but the one with the gold insulation foil).

Is it the same with Bosch ECUs? Do they change operating system and the drivers for various sub assemblies? You may well be able to get a new race ECU to run an engine but what about all the other functions that an ECU covers?

gotoPzero

14,755 posts

171 months

Tuesday 30th August
quotequote all
There are companies that specialise in ECU repairs. I have just had to have my air con ECU repaired and it wasnt actually a big deal the place I used do several a month and know the exact specs needed.

The engine ECUs would be a bit of an issue, but in reality its often a component failure rather than the whole thing going belly up.


jason61c

5,336 posts

156 months

Tuesday 30th August
quotequote all
Rari said:
No but this Le Mans blue has just been listed with Meridien. What a stunning looking car and has sports seats:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208249...
That one has sold, within an hour! All because of the seats I think.

Ferruccio

1,795 posts

101 months

Tuesday 30th August
quotequote all
bordseye said:
Ferruccio said:
You can always get bits made. Might not be cheap, but gets you back on the road.
Sometimes cheaper than factory part though.
Likely correct for "greasy bits". But how about ECUs? Particularly if there is no way of loading up the factory software.

I heard a story from a dealer of McLaren having to scout ebay for an old Windows 3.1 PC so that they could work on one of the original F1/P1 ( I can never remember which is which, but the one with the gold insulation foil).

Is it the same with Bosch ECUs? Do they change operating system and the drivers for various sub assemblies? You may well be able to get a new race ECU to run an engine but what about all the other functions that an ECU covers?
An ECU went on my Diablo.
An OEM one was some silly four figure sum (especially when it probably cost <£50 to make?)
So showed it to a bloke who had an electronics shop.
Some of the lacquer had peeled off and exposed a single bit of solder.
The damp had damaged the contact.
A new drop of solder and it’s still working today……
£20.


brightonpad

105 posts

133 months

Tuesday 30th August
quotequote all
jason61c said:
That one has sold, within an hour! All because of the seats I think.
Out of interest, how did you find out it had sold within the hour - was it a phone call to Meridien?

I see it’s still advertised, presumably so that others can gleefully be informed ‘well yes sir/madam, you do need to be quick as this one sold within an hour’ whilst the dealer is calculating how much to add to the asking price of the next nice one that falls their way.... smile