458 Values - again

458 Values - again

Author
Discussion

BobTurner

374 posts

164 months

Friday 6th March
quotequote all
RT964 said:
I drove this car a few weeks back. It was a very clean example, and couldn't see any evidence of a rear end "smack" as one of the posts above was suspicious of - think it's more down to the angle of the photo. The car drove very well and the dealer was exceptionally good. In the end I bought a different 458 as I couldn't get on with the comfort seats, as I felt like I was sitting on the car, not in the car.

You need to try them for yourself to see if they work for you. Personally, I ended up buying one in Resale Red with Nero carbon race seats and forged wheels. The 458 is an epic car, I can highly recommend it !
I said “diffuser” (which could have happened against a kerb during an ill judged u-turn), not “rear end” (implying a larger shunt)


Edited by BobTurner on Friday 6th March 23:50

RT964

229 posts

32 months

Friday 6th March
quotequote all
BobTurner said:
I said “diffuser” (which could have happened against a kerb during an ill judged u-turn), not “rear end” (implying a larger shunt) rolleyes
Please don’t roll your eyes at me, it’s very disrespectful.

I saw this car with my own eyes and gave it a thorough going over as it was a contender for purchase.

Have you been to see/drive this car ? If so, what did I miss when going around the car to show that it had a broken diffuser ?

I stand by what I said earlier, there was nothing wrong with either the bumper or the diffuser that I could see. I have seen a dodgy repair to a diffuser and this did not have anything visible without putting it on a ramp to make me worry. Maybe you’re reading too much into a badly taken photo ?

Ultimately, this car was not the right spec for me, but I think it’ll make a great purchase for someone.

jjr1

2,721 posts

214 months

Friday 6th March
quotequote all
RT964 said:
I drove this car a few weeks back. It was a very clean example, and couldn't see any evidence of a rear end "smack" as one of the posts above was suspicious of - think it's more down to the angle of the photo. The car drove very well and the dealer was exceptionally good. In the end I bought a different 458 as I couldn't get on with the comfort seats, as I felt like I was sitting on the car, not in the car.

You need to try them for yourself to see if they work for you. Personally, I ended up buying one in Resale Red with Nero carbon race seats and forged wheels. The 458 is an epic car, I can highly recommend it !
How much did you end up spending? I can see a very easy way to open the wallet even further....

BobTurner

374 posts

164 months

Friday 6th March
quotequote all
RT964 said:
BobTurner said:
I said “diffuser” (which could have happened against a kerb during an ill judged u-turn), not “rear end” (implying a larger shunt) rolleyes
Please don’t roll your eyes at me, it’s very disrespectful.
There you go, disrespectful Pistonheads Smile duly removed for you.

RT964

229 posts

32 months

Saturday 7th March
quotequote all
jjr1 said:
How much did you end up spending? I can see a very easy way to open the wallet even further....
I actually spent slightly less than the asking price of the Graypaul car after a bit of haggling. You are right that it was easy to spend a lot more once you get in to the realms of what “must have” options you want. I kept it simple - Resale Red, Nero interior with large carbon race seats, carbon steering wheel and scuderia shields. Anything on top of that was a bonus (like the fact the car I bought had done less than 10k miles !).

If Graypaul is close to you, I can highly recommend them - Neil and Jonathan were great in all my dealings with them and answered all my stupid questions. They have stock coming and going all the time (some of which doesn’t make it as far as the website before it’s sold), so worth chatting to see if they can locate a car for you.

Edited by RT964 on Saturday 7th March 07:20

RT964

229 posts

32 months

Saturday 7th March
quotequote all
BobTurner said:
There you go, disrespectful Pistonheads Smile duly removed for you.
I can see that. Thank you.

Now what about the answer to my other question ? Have you actually been to see this car and, if so, what is it that prospective buyers should be looking at to determine if a car has had a smack on the diffuser ? (hoping I got your terminology correct this time).

BobTurner

374 posts

164 months

Saturday 7th March
quotequote all
RT964 said:
I can see that. Thank you.

Now what about the answer to my other question ? Have you actually been to see this car and, if so, what is it that prospective buyers should be looking at to determine if a car has had a smack on the diffuser ? (hoping I got your terminology correct this time).
I took your question as patently rhetorical, it is clear from my comments on the photo that I acknowledge that there may be no problem with the diffuser at all

RT964

229 posts

32 months

Saturday 7th March
quotequote all
BobTurner said:
I took your question as patently rhetorical, it is clear from my comments on the photo that I acknowledge that there may be no problem with the diffuser at all
Apologies, however my question was genuine, not rhetorical - I was hoping to learn something that I may have missed (or other people may miss) when looking at these cars. I had studied the panel gaps and joins to see if anything was out of line and couldn't see anything particularly wrong with this car, however I don't pretend to be the world's expert on this, hence my reason to ask what other tell-tale signs there are to be on the look out for ?

BobTurner

374 posts

164 months

Saturday 7th March
quotequote all
RT964 said:
Apologies, however my question was genuine, not rhetorical - I was hoping to learn something that I may have missed (or other people may miss) when looking at these cars. I had studied the panel gaps and joins to see if anything was out of line and couldn't see anything particularly wrong with this car, however I don't pretend to be the world's expert on this, hence my reason to ask what other tell-tale signs there are to be on the look out for ?
The area that I was looking at is highlighted yellow in my post of 4pm yesterday: it is the alignment between the under-side of the silver fog light trim piece and the finned diffuser panel; it looks like the “arch” of the diffuser panel sits/hangs down very slightly proud of the trim piece, suggesting the diffuser is not “screwed-up” into its mounting bracket as tightly as it might otherwise be. As I have said, before, it could just be the lighting and, for clarity, I have not seen the car in person.

430SD_LP640

31 posts

11 months

Saturday 7th March
quotequote all
slightly off the topic... not a great sign when dealers do not want to take inventories of 458 Speciale Aperta. i know it is a first world problem.. thinking about selling mine. talked to the dealer I have worked with and was told they only accept PX and the transaction value has to be higher than the PX value! (to be fair to them, the indicative price is not off too much considering the normal margin required for dealers)

rang another dealer and was told that they were happy to do SOR but would not do a straight cash purcahse because the car is not red (Giallo Modena in case you wonder) - hmm, pretty poor excuse in my view.

I guess 458 SP has been flooding the market and dealers are sitting on high inventories and more importantly they are not moving. dealers are also sitting on high inventories of 488 pista. the above mentioned dealer had two 488 pista in the inventory and neither is advertised in the market. and don't forget 812. I admit I never thought F would not take inventories of their cars.

Credit to Lambo, when Performante flooded the market last year when SVJ started deliveries, lambo had no problem of taking inventories although the price they gave was a bit off but at least they provided the liquidity. At one point, the dealer which i worked with had 5 Perfs sitting in their courtyard and was still willing to provide a bid for a cash purchase.

Durzel

8,698 posts

122 months

Saturday 7th March
quotequote all
Resale red factor cannot be overstated.

I love other colours than red, but guaranteed the discussion you have with a main dealer will be different depending on whether it’s you or them selling the car. If it’s theirs it’s “unique”, “unusual”, “red is a bit safe”, and if it’s yours it’s the same but with a negative connotation.

With everything going on in the world at the moment I wouldn’t be surprised about dealer skittishness.

PrancingHorses

2,588 posts

161 months

Saturday 7th March
quotequote all
Ferrari are suffering the "too many models" syndrome. Inevitable when you have share holders to please.

Times are interesting if they are declining the Halo cars!

wyldstalyns

59 posts

23 months

Saturday 7th March
quotequote all
I have a niggling feeling that the 458 has too many competitors not to be compressed unfortunately.

It was one of the first of the modern generation of supercars (which includes give or take every Ferrari Lambo and Mac and some Porsches since), and this bracket now just includes *so many* cars that over time I think they’ll all weigh each other down (to varying degrees).

Compare market of supercars 2005-2020 with that of 1985-2000. The latter has far fewer, far more distinct cars, which don’t blend into one another the way the current generation does.

It’s all relative of course: the 458 is one of the more distinct cars from this era, so values will hold up better than most, but there’s still overwhelming choice, and it continues to grow given that the industry hasn’t revolutionised massively since.

SSO

794 posts

145 months

Saturday 7th March
quotequote all
PrancingHorses said:
Ferrari are suffering the "too many models" syndrome. Inevitable when you have share holders to please.

Times are interesting if they are declining the Halo cars!
this is a very insightful article on exactly that:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4325637-how-to-de...