991.2 Gt3 to Performante

991.2 Gt3 to Performante

Author
Discussion

Obarks

Original Poster:

27 posts

179 months

Tuesday 7th January
quotequote all
Considering swapping to a performante this year. Have you any experience of it compared to a 991.2 gt3? I am interested in your thoughts.

Cheers chaps.

s2000db

845 posts

102 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
Give it a try, will only take you moments to find out...
Was the only car to get me out of my Porsche, and I drove all of the usual suspects in that category..

Desert Dragon

607 posts

33 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
s2000db said:
Give it a try, will only take you moments to find out...
Was the only car to get me out of my Porsche, and I drove all of the usual suspects in that category..
Whats it like dealing with the extra attention? Do you miss any ownership aspects of your old turbo s? Quite good deals to swap into Lambo Ps at the moment. Would you honestly swap again with hindsight?

s2000db

845 posts

102 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
Desert Dragon said:
s2000db said:
Give it a try, will only take you moments to find out...
Was the only car to get me out of my Porsche, and I drove all of the usual suspects in that category..
Whats it like dealing with the extra attention? Do you miss any ownership aspects of your old turbo s? Quite good deals to swap into Lambo Ps at the moment. Would you honestly swap again with hindsight?
In fairness it’s been very positive I’ve not had any negative reaction (yet!). The biggest issue is you have to plan where you park it, I don’t fancy negotiating a multi-storey in it, unless very spacious. Also I wouldn’t leave it on a public road overnight. Whenever you do park it, there’ll be someone who takes a picture of it or a selfie of some sort, but touch wood I’ve not had any issues so far..

In fact the Turbo was quicker in real terms, you’re always aware that you’re being looked at, and that (to me anyway) restricts how fast I drive on busy roads.

Good question about hindsight, I would buy one again, definitely.. I bought an M4 several years back, and found that it did pretty much everything that the Turbo did, although you have to respect its power delivery a little more than the Porsche especially in the wet.

As I said before the Performante was a whole level of specialness above the Porsche and its competitors, that it was a decision I made in under an hour!
Give one a go if you can..

Desert Dragon

607 posts

33 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
Cheers v.helpful wink

George-eed

10 posts

39 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
Having recently test driven all possible alternatives including the Mac 720S, 991.2 GT3 and Aston Vantage V12s I feel the Performante is the only possible replacement to my 458 Italia which i have owned for almost 4 years and still love. This really has surprised me as i never thought of myself a a Lambo man but i would describe the Performante as a 458 on steroids. I am now looking to make the change in the spring.

Desert Dragon

607 posts

33 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
Did the F12 not also pique your interest? What were your thoughts on 720s? Crazy amount of car for the money no?

George-eed

10 posts

39 months

Wednesday 8th January
quotequote all
Desert Dragon said:
Did the F12 not also pique your interest? What were your thoughts on 720s? Crazy amount of car for the money no?
The F12 was never on my radar, whilst i would love a V12 engine the looks don’t do it for me. The 720s on the other hand i think is stunning to look at and undoubtedly the fastest car I’ve ever driven but it just didn’t put a smile on my face, there was no theatre to the drive it was all about the speed.
My 458 and now the Performante are the only cars that have managed to make my hairs stand on end even at sensible speeds.

Gibbo205

2,209 posts

156 months

Thursday 9th January
quotequote all
George-eed said:
The F12 was never on my radar, whilst i would love a V12 engine the looks don’t do it for me. The 720s on the other hand i think is stunning to look at and undoubtedly the fastest car I’ve ever driven but it just didn’t put a smile on my face, there was no theatre to the drive it was all about the speed.
My 458 and now the Performante are the only cars that have managed to make my hairs stand on end even at sensible speeds.
You maybe have similar taste to myself.

I test drove 570S, Huracan AWD, Huracan RWD, Huracan Performante, 458 (several of them), 720S, GT3 991.2 GT3, 991.1 GT3 RS, 488 and in the end it came down to 991.1 GT3 RS, HP and 458.

Mclaren I dismissed for two reasons, sounded rubbish and I felt residuals were gonna collapse and did not like the horror stories on the brand, so walked away, drove great though.

The GT3 RS I was so tempted, it had literally being my dream for years and they say we should always go for our dreams, I also considered a 991.2 GT3 manual, but hey I like my flappy paddles, especially when its a decent DCT/PDK style box. But having already owned a 911 and driven a lot of GT3's though incredible drives sometimes they just lack that special feeling, though of course the RS giant wings help to add it back in.

So it really came down between the 458 and Performante, in comparison the 458 is pretty slow as the Performante is nothing short of a ballistic missile and the drivetrain is from the gods, but on the test drive alone in freezing greasy condition I was driving it hard, really hard and it was flying and I felt not that challenged, don't get me wrong I was blown away by the speed and the noise, its a master class but I just felt that when I wanted to enjoy the car I'd be going so fast I'd either end up dead or seriously injured or locked up in jail.

The 458 which its silly bark as the valves open and it also have an unique but also incredible sound was delivering nearly the same drama as the HP did, albeit much slower and it commanded a lot more respect I felt even though I'd go as far as saying the 458 is a very progressive and communicative chassis but I was driving it down country lanes and everything was tingling, I was thinking to myself I must be flying to look at the speedo and to find I was under 60mph, at that point I was simply sold.

So I'd made decision 458, Speciale was out of reach financially, but a HP was just within reach but as this was last February the HP's were all in the 200-250k range I thought it was maybe a tad risky to drop that amount of cash on a HP with the EVO due for release, as such I felt the 458 was a safer bet plus being a 2014 car it still had 3yr of service pack remaining and came with 2yr warranty and I got a pretty good deal on a very good spec car, so 458 was my poison and in the last year I've done 7000 miles plus in it, I absolutely love the thing. Wish I could afford a Speciale as it must be epic but the Italia is also absolutely amazing.

But if your looking for pure performance, the Performante is certainly correctly named it is ballistic and sounds bloody awesome whilst its doing it too.

Desert Dragon

607 posts

33 months

Thursday 9th January
quotequote all
Gibbo205 said:
George-eed said:
The F12 was never on my radar, whilst i would love a V12 engine the looks don’t do it for me. The 720s on the other hand i think is stunning to look at and undoubtedly the fastest car I’ve ever driven but it just didn’t put a smile on my face, there was no theatre to the drive it was all about the speed.
My 458 and now the Performante are the only cars that have managed to make my hairs stand on end even at sensible speeds.
You maybe have similar taste to myself.

I test drove 570S, Huracan AWD, Huracan RWD, Huracan Performante, 458 (several of them), 720S, GT3 991.2 GT3, 991.1 GT3 RS, 488 and in the end it came down to 991.1 GT3 RS, HP and 458.

Mclaren I dismissed for two reasons, sounded rubbish and I felt residuals were gonna collapse and did not like the horror stories on the brand, so walked away, drove great though.

The GT3 RS I was so tempted, it had literally being my dream for years and they say we should always go for our dreams, I also considered a 991.2 GT3 manual, but hey I like my flappy paddles, especially when its a decent DCT/PDK style box. But having already owned a 911 and driven a lot of GT3's though incredible drives sometimes they just lack that special feeling, though of course the RS giant wings help to add it back in.

So it really came down between the 458 and Performante, in comparison the 458 is pretty slow as the Performante is nothing short of a ballistic missile and the drivetrain is from the gods, but on the test drive alone in freezing greasy condition I was driving it hard, really hard and it was flying and I felt not that challenged, don't get me wrong I was blown away by the speed and the noise, its a master class but I just felt that when I wanted to enjoy the car I'd be going so fast I'd either end up dead or seriously injured or locked up in jail.

The 458 which its silly bark as the valves open and it also have an unique but also incredible sound was delivering nearly the same drama as the HP did, albeit much slower and it commanded a lot more respect I felt even though I'd go as far as saying the 458 is a very progressive and communicative chassis but I was driving it down country lanes and everything was tingling, I was thinking to myself I must be flying to look at the speedo and to find I was under 60mph, at that point I was simply sold.

So I'd made decision 458, Speciale was out of reach financially, but a HP was just within reach but as this was last February the HP's were all in the 200-250k range I thought it was maybe a tad risky to drop that amount of cash on a HP with the EVO due for release, as such I felt the 458 was a safer bet plus being a 2014 car it still had 3yr of service pack remaining and came with 2yr warranty and I got a pretty good deal on a very good spec car, so 458 was my poison and in the last year I've done 7000 miles plus in it, I absolutely love the thing. Wish I could afford a Speciale as it must be epic but the Italia is also absolutely amazing.

But if your looking for pure performance, the Performante is certainly correctly named it is ballistic and sounds bloody awesome whilst its doing it too.
What would you go for at current prices smile

Gibbo205

2,209 posts

156 months

Thursday 9th January
quotequote all
Desert Dragon said:
What would you go for at current prices smile
Well the Performante is no longer 200-250k there are lots for sub 200k and even some nice ones advertised around 170k, needless to say getting in one for around 170k I feel is a bargain and something tells me they can't drop much further, but hey the market is unstable at the moment and I suppose the one issue Lamborghini has right now there is a lot of Huracans in the UK and though I feel Performante is the best of them all I guess all the other models are somewhat the reasoning for it losing so much money.

If funds were unlimited I'd probably go for the slower 458 Speciale, but if my budget was around 170k and performance the main goal the Performante is hard to resist, but saying that a similar spec 458 to mine is now 135-145k and that would still be such a very tempting option for the reasons I outlined, a lot more fun and engaging at legal speeds which i think is somewhat important in a car. smile

av185

9,816 posts

76 months

Thursday 9th January
quotequote all
Performantes are now sub £170k and not unlike the 488 at this price look incredible value.

Desert Dragon

607 posts

33 months

Thursday 9th January
quotequote all
Gibbo205 said:
Desert Dragon said:
What would you go for at current prices smile
Well the Performante is no longer 200-250k there are lots for sub 200k and even some nice ones advertised around 170k, needless to say getting in one for around 170k I feel is a bargain and something tells me they can't drop much further, but hey the market is unstable at the moment and I suppose the one issue Lamborghini has right now there is a lot of Huracans in the UK and though I feel Performante is the best of them all I guess all the other models are somewhat the reasoning for it losing so much money.

If funds were unlimited I'd probably go for the slower 458 Speciale, but if my budget was around 170k and performance the main goal the Performante is hard to resist, but saying that a similar spec 458 to mine is now 135-145k and that would still be such a very tempting option for the reasons I outlined, a lot more fun and engaging at legal speeds which i think is somewhat important in a car. smile
I was thinking this at 170k too. I've been lucky enough to drive 458 Italia and I think its a brilliant car. I'm just not sure about the styling on the HP. I actually like the green car at Gravelwood. Think its awesome but resale met BRG might be tough? Crazy deals around which will only get better I agree.

Gibbo205

2,209 posts

156 months

Thursday 9th January
quotequote all
av185 said:
Performantes are now sub £170k and not unlike the 488 at this price look incredible value.
I can see 488’s dropping a lot more and would not at all be surprised if they drop below 458 values in 2-3 years.

I could of got a 488 and I went 458 and yes the 488 is the better car as it’s more modern but to me the 458 felt way more special.

If it was between 488 or Performante then Performante every time and if they drop to around 150k I’ll be shocked, I mean is the EVO version really that good?

I know it won’t happen but imagine if Lamborghini did a manual gated version of the EVO RWD model the purist would be lining up for them and no doubt be making big profits on them.

av185

9,816 posts

76 months

Friday 10th January
quotequote all
Gibbo205 said:
I can see 488’s dropping a lot more and would not at all be surprised if they drop below 458 values in 2-3 years.
Agree but I think it will be in less than 12 months.

The biggest problem the 488 has is the remarkably low price of Mclarens.

heihei

96 posts

144 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
Desert Dragon said:
I was thinking this at 170k too. I've been lucky enough to drive 458 Italia and I think its a brilliant car. I'm just not sure about the styling on the HP. I actually like the green car at Gravelwood. Think its awesome but resale met BRG might be tough? Crazy deals around which will only get better I agree.
Am loving the Green on the Gravelwood car. Am tempted to go and see it - any thoughts on the rest of the spec?

Desert Dragon

607 posts

33 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
I'm not a huge fan of forged carbon or gloss black (wouldn't spec either if poss preferring normal carbon or real brushed alu) but could live with it for sure - its a properly gorgeous supercar. Tell us what you think once you've seen it - I'd also have it inspected before buying though just to check no expensive parts required and all original paint etc. Cooling a surprising issue for brakes I hear so make sure they've not been cooked on track thumbup