550 Maranello article - they'll be Β£200k before you know it!

550 Maranello article - they'll be Β£200k before you know it!

Author
Discussion

bertie

8,225 posts

242 months

Friday 9th January 2015
quotequote all
Mario149 said:
Nothing yet, but you're all going to crucify me (boxedin) - I did give serious consideration to a 599, but having had 2 Fcars I've decided put Italians on hold for a bit and tick a life box by ordering my first ever brand new car and spending my "profit". Hopefully going to be putting in an order for a new Boxster GTS in the next few days and complete my trio of Porsches. Since all Caysters and road biased 911s are going turbo for the next gen and I have no interest in FI engines, I wanted to get in before I lost my chance to spec a car exactly how I would have it. I've had a real soft spot for the 981 Porsches since they came out and in GTS form they are proper junior supercars with performance you can use on the road. They also look stunning IMO. Plus from a beardy PoV I quite like the idea of having one example each of:

1) last of the aircooled
2) last of the manual GT3s
3) last & best driving NA Porsche road biased car

My current favourite spec:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PF7BBSF4


Can't fault you, I too think the new generation Boxster and Cayman are fabulous looking cars.

phib

4,111 posts

217 months

Friday 9th January 2015
quotequote all
Mario149 said:
Nothing yet, but you're all going to crucify me (boxedin) - I did give serious consideration to a 599, but having had 2 Fcars I've decided put Italians on hold for a bit and tick a life box by ordering my first ever brand new car and spending my "profit". Hopefully going to be putting in an order for a new Boxster GTS in the next few days and complete my trio of Porsches. Since all Caysters and road biased 911s are going turbo for the next gen and I have no interest in FI engines, I wanted to get in before I lost my chance to spec a car exactly how I would have it. I've had a real soft spot for the 981 Porsches since they came out and in GTS form they are proper junior supercars with performance you can use on the road. They also look stunning IMO. Plus from a beardy PoV I quite like the idea of having one example each of:

1) last of the aircooled
2) last of the manual GT3s
3) last & best driving NA Porsche road biased car

My current favourite spec:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PF7BBSF4


Hairdressing salon must be doing well !! ;-)

Phib

Mario149

7,673 posts

136 months

Friday 9th January 2015
quotequote all
phib said:
Mario149 said:
Nothing yet, but you're all going to crucify me (boxedin) - I did give serious consideration to a 599, but having had 2 Fcars I've decided put Italians on hold for a bit and tick a life box by ordering my first ever brand new car and spending my "profit". Hopefully going to be putting in an order for a new Boxster GTS in the next few days and complete my trio of Porsches. Since all Caysters and road biased 911s are going turbo for the next gen and I have no interest in FI engines, I wanted to get in before I lost my chance to spec a car exactly how I would have it. I've had a real soft spot for the 981 Porsches since they came out and in GTS form they are proper junior supercars with performance you can use on the road. They also look stunning IMO. Plus from a beardy PoV I quite like the idea of having one example each of:

1) last of the aircooled
2) last of the manual GT3s
3) last & best driving NA Porsche road biased car

My current favourite spec:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PF7BBSF4


Hairdressing salon must be doing well !! ;-)

Phib
shoot

Bluebottle911

769 posts

153 months

Saturday 10th January 2015
quotequote all
For someone who bought his 550 around the same time as you did, the mathematics of your ownership experience are very reassuring.

I, too, bought new when I acquired my last DD (Merc E-type) and it is nice to have the car I chose rather than one somebody else wanted, or was too mean to spec properly (I ticked pretty well every box on the list!). Depreciation is not nice (it has probably lost me as much as the 550 has appreciated), but I have no regrets.

Mario149

7,673 posts

136 months

Saturday 10th January 2015
quotequote all
Bluebottle911 said:
it is nice to have the car I chose rather than one somebody else wanted, or was too mean to spec properly
This^^. To be fair, I've always lambasted people for buying new, and up until about 1 month or so ago I had no intention to. It was more of a confluence of events

1) always loving the look of the 981, then reading the GTS reviews and realising they drove as good as they looked and finally had the performance to match.....magic
2) the money I could realise by selling the 550 - cold hard cash profit in the bank is a pretty good feeling after 2+ years in an Fcar, especially when asking prices are getting rather dramatic and IMO unrealistic in places
3) fancying a change from "pay as you go" (minimal depreciation, lots on maintenance and associated stressy faff) to "pre-pay" (lots on depreciation, minimal maintenance and stressy faff)

Might I regret all this in a year's time when I'm £20k down on the BGTS and 550s like mine might be £100k? Maybe. But at least I will have done it and truly had "my" car. And if the worst comes to the worst I'll still only have to add £20k to the sold BGTS/550 remaining cash kitty to get into a 599 wink

Bluebottle911

769 posts

153 months

Saturday 10th January 2015
quotequote all
Mario149 said:
This^^. To be fair, I've always lambasted people for buying new, and up until about 1 month or so ago I had no intention to. It was more of a confluence of events

1) always loving the look of the 981, then reading the GTS reviews and realising they drove as good as they looked and finally had the performance to match.....magic
2) the money I could realise by selling the 550 - cold hard cash profit in the bank is a pretty good feeling after 2+ years in an Fcar, especially when asking prices are getting rather dramatic and IMO unrealistic in places
3) fancying a change from "pay as you go" (minimal depreciation, lots on maintenance and associated stressy faff) to "pre-pay" (lots on depreciation, minimal maintenance and stressy faff)

Might I regret all this in a year's time when I'm £20k down on the BGTS and 550s like mine might be £100k? Maybe. But at least I will have done it and truly had "my" car. And if the worst comes to the worst I'll still only have to add £20k to the sold BGTS/550 remaining cash kitty to get into a 599 wink
And the other thing I forgot in my last post: it's a nice feeling driving a car that only you have ever owned, that you have had from birth, so to speak. I don't think you will regret it.

dvb247

262 posts

156 months

Sunday 11th January 2015
quotequote all
There is nothing quite like buying a new car, having had the privelege I'd recommend it, but only the once, lost far to much money on my much loved fully spec'ed RRS 2 years ago to think of doing it again!! your GTS though could be the opposite, if you have it long enough so enjoy :-)

Jagmanv12

1,564 posts

122 months

Sunday 11th January 2015
quotequote all
phib said:
roygarth said:
3 page puff piece for the 550 in this months Classic Cars mag....
Thats worth another 10k then !!

Phib
That'll be nice, it's my car in the article. smile

550M

1,092 posts

173 months

Monday 12th January 2015
quotequote all
Got a link, or am I going to have to trudge into town?

Obiwonkeyblokey

5,395 posts

198 months

Monday 19th January 2015
quotequote all
...and there was me thinking I did well on the £44k 575 ( 2002 20k miles non FHP but with Tubi)I bought which i sold for 50k.


bugger.

Obiwonkeyblokey

5,395 posts

198 months

Monday 19th January 2015
quotequote all
Obiwonkeyblokey said:
...and there was me thinking I did well on the £44k 575 ( 2002 20k miles non FHP but with Tubi)I bought which i sold for 50k.

2009

bugger.

jonkers

39 posts

168 months

Tuesday 20th January 2015
quotequote all
Obiwonkeyblokey said:
...and there was me thinking I did well on the £44k 575 ( 2002 20k miles non FHP but with Tubi)I bought which i sold for 50k.


bugger.
You did, at the time. Only hindsight makes you think otherwise.

Obiwonkeyblokey

5,395 posts

198 months

Monday 26th January 2015
quotequote all
hindsight may have also helped me with my double posting! biggrin

harrykul

2,610 posts

184 months

Sunday 15th February 2015
quotequote all
Well, I've taken the plunge and got myself a 550. It's a 2-owner, 42klms 1999 model with the Fiorano Handling Pack. Can't wait until the summer when I collect it from Germany. My dream car- I still have the original magazine articles from the launch!

Gratuitious pic:


MDahmen

4,887 posts

135 months

Sunday 15th February 2015
quotequote all
looks great, is that the one from nuernberg?

Camlet

1,119 posts

107 months

Monday 16th February 2015
quotequote all
harrykul said:
Well, I've taken the plunge and got myself a 550. It's a 2-owner, 42klms 1999 model with the Fiorano Handling Pack. Can't wait until the summer when I collect it from Germany. My dream car- I still have the original magazine articles from the launch!

Gratuitious pic:

Congrats.......looks like a lovely example. Reassuring its Pinin badges are on and sited correctly (be surprised how many examples have them missing or in wrong position).

Met a chap over the weekend who has paid £125K for a 9K mile 550. He's a really good guy so don't doubt his comment but nearly fell off my chair though at the amount. Mine is also a FHP with 25K miles. She's a wonderful drive. Was worth £ 25K trade at its lowest point in 02. Barmy market.

Ian Roberts 86

53 posts

153 months

Monday 16th February 2015
quotequote all
Great news Harry....you will not regret it. I did the same in November last year and got a 1999 3 owner one silver with black leather and 56,000 kms from Germany. They did a full big service with belts and all the other important stuff plus lots of small things to make it perfect. Its now registered on a T plate without any issues. Took it out yesterday for a blast.....still smiling today.
I bet you cant wait to get it home.

harrykul

2,610 posts

184 months

Monday 16th February 2015
quotequote all
Thanks guys, really looking forward to the road trip! It isn't the Nuremburg car, this car was from Berlin.
Regarding the badges, one of the nice things about this car is that the inspection brought up that it has original paint all round, with just some minor stone chipping to the bumper and lower bonnet.

Brakke

490 posts

81 months

Tuesday 17th February 2015
quotequote all
Congrats!

I just bought this car as well from Germany (live in the neterlands myself).
Just paid the down payment and will be picking it up from the south of germany in 4 weeks or so.

It seems that the offer of 550's is drying up rather quickly. I remember 6 months ago there were over 40 cars on offer and right now its 13 including 1 barchetta.......



911Thrasher

2,495 posts

157 months

Tuesday 17th February 2015
quotequote all
waow 550 with Fiorano pack! that's pretty rare