When will 599's gain classic collector status

When will 599's gain classic collector status

Author
Discussion

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

2,937 posts

234 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
It was a model that was a big step forward when it was introduced and the flagship model. Performance today is still impressive. However it doesn't seem as loved as the 550/ 575

MDL111

4,472 posts

130 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
I personally think the 550/575 and the F12 are prettier cars (although the GTO looks very good to my eyes) - not sure about classic status, ultimately they built quite a few of them so might take a while longer, maybe once it is 20 years old

AndyC_123

793 posts

107 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
I think we will see far fewer cars get that status as production numbers are much higher than they used to be.

Cheib

18,457 posts

128 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
I think it’s in that period of production where it might never be...because of it’s gearbox. It’s predecessors were available with a manual gearbox and the cars following it have a much superior one. I think as these cars get older that gearbox is that weak point...it is the thing that will date quickest in the car. If your 599 is your special weekend car do you really want that car to have a worse gearbox than your daily driver ?

That’s not just a Ferrari thing I think it’s a problem for all cars with this generation of automated gearboxes. Aston, Lamborghini etc all have that problem as do the BMW M cars with the SMG gearboxes of that era and Porsche with the Tiptronic etc.

Edited by Cheib on Wednesday 13th May 13:11

Gregor-lun1d

43 posts

50 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
It has certain things in its favour - as discussed above, build quality was a step forward from the 550/575; and it has the de-tuned engine from the Enzo. It was also brought to market shortly before the recession in '08 so I wonder whether there will have been fewer made than subsequent models as people struggled to pay for a £200k+ car.

The gearbox issue - it was something that worried me but in all honesty, it's not that bad. I was surprised by how good it is and the fact it's not as good as a DCT means there's still an element of driver engagement, just not the same as three-pedals.

Will it be a classic? Probably not. Biggest thing against it is that I own one, and everything I touch turns to sh!t...

oml130

17 posts

31 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
I have been looking into these quite a bit and also compared it to the 550.

The 599s really is the first of the ‘digital’ Ferraris (while 550s are the last of the ‘analogue’). From my point of view it will never be ‘collectible’ or considered a ‘classic’. I do think, however, that they are quite reliable and a big step on in terms of build quality feel versus a 550. It’s also a lovely thing.

At current prices they must be a decent buy with relatively slow depreciation. Only thing stopping me from buying one is the lingering feeling that you one day might face a quite significant service bill. Mindset must be that it will cost you £10-£15k a year all in taking service and deprecation into account.

Calculator

680 posts

168 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
AndyC_123 said:
I think we will see far fewer cars get that status as production numbers are much higher than they used to be.
Hit the nail on the head. Old does not mean classic.

Lee Jones Jnr

375 posts

123 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
oml130 said:
The 599s really is the first of the ‘digital’ Ferraris (while 550s are the last of the ‘analogue’).
575?

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

2,937 posts

234 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
oml130 said:
IMindset must be that it will cost you £10-£15k a year all in taking service and deprecation into account.
Correct mine has cost me around £14k a year over the past 3 years I would say. Which is why I partly started the topic ... should I keep it or sell it and get a newer Ferrari

priley

437 posts

141 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
oml130 said:
IMindset must be that it will cost you £10-£15k a year all in taking service and deprecation into account.
Correct mine has cost me around £14k a year over the past 3 years I would say. Which is why I partly started the topic ... should I keep it or sell it and get a newer Ferrari
Yikes! Care to give an idea of where this went beyond the usual running costs of servicing/insurance etc?

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

2,937 posts

234 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
priley said:
Yikes! Care to give an idea of where this went beyond the usual running costs of servicing/insurance etc?
it includes 10/11k depreciation.

priley

437 posts

141 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
it includes 10/11k depreciation.
Thanks. Read the previous post now! Yes, depreciation on exotic cars, I forgot that was a thing again smile

oml130

17 posts

31 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
Lee Jones Jnr said:
575?
It is a fair point, but for me the 575 is just somewhere in between - an analogue car with a so so digital gearbox. The complexity of the 599 (in terms of engine, suspension, ECU, electronics, etc) cannot be compared to the 550/575.

oml130

17 posts

31 months

Wednesday 13th May
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
Correct mine has cost me around £14k a year over the past 3 years I would say. Which is why I partly started the topic ... should I keep it or sell it and get a newer Ferrari
The logical upgrade is a F12 that will give you 2/3 years free service under the current plan (day a 2015/2016 MY) and therefore save you 2-3k p.a. However, I must think it comes at a cost of much higher depreciation? The F12 is likely a superior car in almost every way, but there is also something about a well maintained 599...

Would we be surprised if we were offered £65k from a dealer for a 25k miles 599 in a couple of years? Probably not. Likewise; would a £100k bid on a F12 surprise us in 2021/2022? Probably not.

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

2,937 posts

234 months

Thursday 14th May
quotequote all
oml130 said:
The logical upgrade is a F12 that will give you 2/3 years free service under the current plan (day a 2015/2016 MY) and therefore save you 2-3k p.a. However, I must think it comes at a cost of much higher depreciation? The F12 is likely a superior car in almost every way, but there is also something about a well maintained 599...

Would we be surprised if we were offered £65k from a dealer for a 25k miles 599 in a couple of years? Probably not. Likewise; would a £100k bid on a F12 surprise us in 2021/2022? Probably not.
I have been watching F12 prices but not sure its enough of a change. I may go the other way and get a 458 or 488. On Collectingcars auction site an 812 went for £205K interestingly.

oml130

17 posts

31 months

Thursday 14th May
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
I have been watching F12 prices but not sure its enough of a change. I may go the other way and get a 458 or 488. On Collectingcars auction site an 812 went for £205K interestingly.
I have been contemplating exactly the same thing.

Apparently that same F12 is now up with a dealer for £250k - also interesting...

Regardless you have a lovely car at the moment and you probably don’t need to rush the upgrade in the current market environment.

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

2,937 posts

234 months

Thursday 14th May
quotequote all
oml130 said:
I have been contemplating exactly the same thing.

Apparently that same F12 is now up with a dealer for £250k - also interesting...

Regardless you have a lovely car at the moment and you probably don’t need to rush the upgrade in the current market environment.
I don't think I will touch a Ferrari dealer with my next change. Things are a changing!

I'm going to wait until back end of the year I think. The 599 is great. Its in for a service at the moment, then having the paintwork tidied up and then a possible euro trip late Summer if we are allowed.

oml130

17 posts

31 months

Thursday 14th May
quotequote all
I think you are right.

As per hint in my first post in this conversation I have gone through the 550 vs 599 vs F12 argumentation and personally the 599 is the best product for me. 550 is too dated for my preference and the F12s are hanging about at too much money. Just need to find a well maintained 599 example...

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

2,937 posts

234 months

Thursday 14th May
quotequote all
oml130 said:
I think you are right.

As per hint in my first post in this conversation I have gone through the 550 vs 599 vs F12 argumentation and personally the 599 is the best product for me. 550 is too dated for my preference and the F12s are hanging about at too much money. Just need to find a well maintained 599 example...
you may find this interesting.

http://autodesign.socialblog.us/2008/09/10/yesterd...

oml130

17 posts

31 months

Thursday 14th May
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
That link doesn’t work for me for some reason. Thanks for posting regardless.