Every day tips for living with a 599

Every day tips for living with a 599

Author
Discussion

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
Afternoon is free driving and I have set up Harry's Lap Timer. I downloaded it ages ago but have always been too afraid to have it running. I didn't want to be chasing lap time when I'm still learning my way around.

Best lap, Bridge to Gantry is 7:43.


I'm confident I can get below 7:40 with a clear lap and but while trying I get a transmission failure.


It says the transmission has over heated and it's not really a hot day. I'm stuck in 5th with about a third of a lap to go.

I managed to get to the car park and dump it. I check under the car and it's dry, so hopefully all okay. I'll let it cool down and see what it says on start up. Back to looking for an oil cooler upgrade.

It's a little frustrating as for the last two hours the track is almost empty.

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
I try to start the car but no go


As always MDL are on the end of the phone. I've tried the battery isolation switch off / on and no success.

MDL suggest touching the battery terminals together. I get the standard tools out and I can't believe how hot they are to the touch


I'll wait another couple of hours and if no go I'm calling Ferrari assistance.

Boleros

337 posts

9 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
Yikes, 7.43 in a 599. You’re braver than I am, how many laps have you done at that sort of pace?

ANOpax

865 posts

169 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
Sorry to hear that the gearbox overheat put an end to a flying lap and your day. I've had gearbox overheat messages in a DCT equipped car and that's after only 60km of spirited driving on public roads, let alone the 'ring. Cooling is an issue for any car and IIRC one of the big issues around the McLaren designs is ensuring sufficient cooling and efficient waste heat management. Unfortunately, I don't think that Ferrari take this quite as seriously as other manufacturers do.

Fingers crossed that she's forgotten all about it in a few hours after cooling down to ambient temps.

Edited by ANOpax on Monday 24th June 17:14

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
Boleros said:
Yikes, 7.43 in a 599. You’re braver than I am, how many laps have you done at that sort of pace?
All the laps in the afternoon where it was free driving were at this pace. So 6 today.

But never had the lap timer on before, I think this is my 'comfortable at limit' pace.

IMI A

9,471 posts

204 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
Thats superfast in a 599 and I agree super brave. Runaway locomotive springs to mind yikes

Boleros

337 posts

9 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
cake eater said:
All the laps in the afternoon where it was free driving were at this pace. So 6 today.

But never had the lap timer on before, I think this is my 'comfortable at limit' pace.
I don't know 599s that well but I'm not sure they were really designed to be a ring beast, great car but perhaps not the right one for what you're using it for?

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
IMI A said:
Thats superfast in a 599 and I agree super brave. Runaway locomotive springs to mind yikes
Sometimes it feels like that!

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
Boleros said:
cake eater said:
All the laps in the afternoon where it was free driving were at this pace. So 6 today.

But never had the lap timer on before, I think this is my 'comfortable at limit' pace.
I don't know 599s that well but I'm not sure they were really designed to be a ring beast, great car but perhaps not the right one for what you're using it for?
I know you are right. She not a ring beast. And definitely there's better cars for lapping the ring.

But she's a little bit of a evil beast as well as a very very expensive donkey.

When I got the 599 I wanted something different. I wanted to have an adventure.

And when I came to the ring with her for the first time, I was like wow! I checked to see how fast the 599 was around the ring and I wanted to see how close I could get.
I also know I'm cheating a little, latest Cup2 rubber, modifications etc.

https://fastestlaps.com/tests/6kosu2loubda

7:47 is full lap and my 7:43 is BTG. I'd like my full lap time below 8 mins.

I think I can get down to 7:30 BTG. But I know that these few seconds are a step up in risk.

But what's an adventure without a little risk.

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
ANOpax said:
Sorry to hear that the gearbox overheat put an end to a flying lap and your day. I've had gearbox overheat messages in a DCT equipped car and that's after only 60km of spirited driving on public roads, let alone the 'ring. Cooling is an issue for any car and IIRC one of the big issues around the McLaren designs is ensuring sufficient cooling and efficient waste heat management. Unfortunately, I don't think that Ferrari take this quite as seriously as other manufacturers do.

Fingers crossed that she's forgotten all about it in a few hours after cooling down to ambient temps.

Edited by ANOpax on Monday 24th June 17:14
Hi ANOpax,

Unfortunately cooling down didn't help.

I really have to give Lee and Mark at MDL Supercars a huge shout out for helping me over the phone and guiding me troubleshooting the F1 system / gearbox.

I plug the scan tool in and there's 3 very worrying errors.



I read the codes for the gearbox


And they won't clear.

Lee reckons the fuse is gone for the pump and guides me to the manual to identify the correct one




I check the fuse and it's blown.


The tool kit doesn't have a spare 30 amp fuse but the radio is the same. So I swap and put the spare 40 amp in for the radio.


Car starts and I can select first. beer

I select reverse and I get the warning 'gear unavailable' again. banghead

Lee suggests changing the F1 relay but there's no spare and i can't find the relay. So I take a picture and Lee marks it up for me.



There's a 10mm nut that allows you to rotate the relay down for access (again, thank you Lee)

The relay is hot to touch. Lee has me go though the car checking for relays that are the same.



Manual says it's for the air pump. Lee checks with Mark and they confirm I can swap them around. I do a little juggling with fuses and relays and the car starts.

Same problem. I select first and then get the warning.

Lee checks with Simon at SS Autotech and Simon says that most likely the pump has failed and not an uncommon failure. Which is also indicated by the fault code P1778 flow/pressure of pump insufficient.

Two random guys turn up and offer to help, they're on holiday from the USofA. Nothing they can do but give me a lift to the guesthouse which they very kindly do.


Some people are just good people. I never got your names and want to say thank you again.

I call Ferrari world wide assistance and even though I'm not a paying member they help and arrange a break down service to collect the 599 and take to the nearest Ferrari service centre, which is Cologne.

Sliver linings everywhere smile

Boleros

337 posts

9 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
cake eater said:
But what's an adventure without a little risk.
I'm quite envious really, I'm just not brave (or talented) enough to thrash mine round the ring so enjoy - apologies for being a bit late!

Hopefully you'll be back on the road in no time.

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
ANOpax said:
Sorry to hear that the gearbox overheat put an end to a flying lap and your day. I've had gearbox overheat messages in a DCT equipped car and that's after only 60km of spirited driving on public roads, let alone the 'ring. Cooling is an issue for any car and IIRC one of the big issues around the McLaren designs is ensuring sufficient cooling and efficient waste heat management. Unfortunately, I don't think that Ferrari take this quite as seriously as other manufacturers do.

Fingers crossed that she's forgotten all about it in a few hours after cooling down to ambient temps.

Edited by ANOpax on Monday 24th June 17:14
And you are right about Ferrari cooling and heat management. Lee has already been investigating for me and 599 GTO has significant modifications for just this. Unfortunately parts are typically Ferrari outrageous.

A lot more cooling laps I think will be my heat management strategy.


Edited by cake eater on Tuesday 25th June 06:10

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
Boleros said:
cake eater said:
But what's an adventure without a little risk.
I'm quite envious really, I'm just not brave (or talented) enough to thrash mine round the ring so enjoy - apologies for being a bit late!

Hopefully you'll be back on the road in no time.
Boleros, thank you. Hopefully we'll see tomorrow. I think the car will be in Germany for a while.

ANOpax

865 posts

169 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
Blown fuel pump? I know all about that.

The FF blew a fuel pump while we were on holiday in Italy. I couldn’t start the car and the gearbox was locked in P. It had to be flat-bed recovered to Verona where Ferrari discovered that the pump had taken an ECU and a 50amp fuse with it when it blew. It took three and a half days to effect the repair. Ferrari Verona were very apologetic about the courtesy car which they’d provided for us - a Maserati Quattroporte!

Good luck and fingers crossed that you’re back on the road soon.

DeejRC

6,007 posts

85 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
As ever Brother Cake, you present an epic tale.
Whilst I am sorry to hear of your latest troubles, I am delighted that your frustration came with matching news of camaraderie, spirit and rancour-less assistance. It has been my experience in life, that when you do face it with an acceptance of risk in reward for the adventure of the road less travelled- you are rewarded. Rarely in a/the way you expect, but in other ways that accountants called Gerald from Guildford could never imagine.
These are silly, stupid, Italian diva mistresses. Wtf is the point of owning one if you are only going to approach it like a wife? Embrace the madness, live the insanity and roll the dice.

Ultimately the question is: how does the 7yo me judge me, looking in the mirror?
There is a reason the word “divorce” is frequently never too far from my wifes lips when a Donkey is involved smile One day we must share a beer !

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
ANOpax said:
Blown fuel pump? I know all about that.

The FF blew a fuel pump while we were on holiday in Italy. I couldn’t start the car and the gearbox was locked in P. It had to be flat-bed recovered to Verona where Ferrari discovered that the pump had taken an ECU and a 50amp fuse with it when it blew. It took three and a half days to effect the repair. Ferrari Verona were very apologetic about the courtesy car which they’d provided for us - a Maserati Quattroporte!

Good luck and fingers crossed that you’re back on the road soon.
Luckily once I did get the engine running no faults on the dash, so I'm hoping just the pump.

My sister says Maserati is for girls biggrin

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
DeejRC said:
As ever Brother Cake, you present an epic tale.
Whilst I am sorry to hear of your latest troubles, I am delighted that your frustration came with matching news of camaraderie, spirit and rancour-less assistance. It has been my experience in life, that when you do face it with an acceptance of risk in reward for the adventure of the road less travelled- you are rewarded. Rarely in a/the way you expect, but in other ways that accountants called Gerald from Guildford could never imagine.
These are silly, stupid, Italian diva mistresses. Wtf is the point of owning one if you are only going to approach it like a wife? Embrace the madness, live the insanity and roll the dice.

Ultimately the question is: how does the 7yo me judge me, looking in the mirror?
There is a reason the word “divorce” is frequently never too far from my wifes lips when a Donkey is involved smile One day we must share a beer !
When I was sat next to the 599, feeling a little sorry for the abuse that resulted in the gearbox failure, I was watching the cars going in and out of the touristenfahrten thinking, I really should have a more appropriate car but what to have....

Porsche and BMW automatically ruled out. Corvette C7 rolled past, nice. Alpine A110, something different. GR86 or Yaris, fun and reliable. All would be fast.

But nothing pulled at my heart like the 599, even broken next to me.

Gerald from Guildford has a bit of style and likes the Alpine by the way tongue out

Brother, we definitely have to have that family get together

DeejRC

6,007 posts

85 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
Now now mon frere, there is no need to go throwing such dirty words as Porsche and BMW around!

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
Gerald has been appropriately censored and shoot

Cheburator mk2

3,038 posts

202 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
It's a real shame if your pump has failed, but it's to be expected... It's not the actual pump that has failed - there is very little in the pump body which can malfunction. It's the electric motor that usually gives up the ghost. It's sealed and uses traditional brushes. As the latter wear out, there is nowhere for the carbon dust to go, thus it builds up and eventually would short out the windings. An alternative failure mode is that the commutator wears out and the motor doesn't run at full power, thus the pump cannot reach the required pressure threshold - from memory 40-odd bar - and it runs on and on, burning out the fuse, itself, the relay or all three!

The pump motor itself isn't anything special and can be reconditioned for a song by a good electrical shop. Alternatively, you can buy it from places like this one:

https://mlreng.com/products/ferrari-maserati-21426...

Or you may be lucky and have the original motor/pump which were found on Alfa Romeo Selespeed transmissions and cost buttons for the whole assembly. Whether you can live with a dragon swallowing a man instead of a prancing donkey is another story...

Ferrari would sell you of course the whole pump, which isn't necessary, but when time is of the essence, Koln would be the only solution. Ask to keep your old pump and have a new motor fitted. They aren't getting cheaper and more available, and are known weak spot on the F1 system...

P.S. Given your use of the car, I would look to have a set of two custom lines made and run a cooler on the low pressure side. It should be a lot more cost effective than the GTO solution. Btw, the girly sister company doesn't suffer with the same overheating issues, and the F1 system there is even faster/more stressed...



Edited by Cheburator mk2 on Tuesday 25th June 10:36