Every day tips for living with a 599

Every day tips for living with a 599

Author
Discussion

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
Cheburator mk2 said:
It's a real shame if your pump has failed, but it's to be expected... It's not the actual pump that has failed - there is very little in the pump body which can malfunction. It's the electric motor that usually gives up the ghost. It's sealed and uses traditional brushes. As the latter wear out, there is nowhere for the carbon dust to go, thus it builds up and eventually would short out the windings. An alternative failure mode is that the commutator wears out and the motor doesn't run at full power, thus the pump cannot reach the required pressure threshold - from memory 40-odd bar - and it runs on and on, burning out the fuse, itself, the relay or all three!

The pump motor itself isn't anything special and can be reconditioned for a song by a good electrical shop. Alternatively, you can buy it from places like this one:

https://mlreng.com/products/ferrari-maserati-21426...

Or you may be lucky and have the original motor/pump which were found on Alfa Romeo Selespeed transmissions and cost buttons for the whole assembly. Whether you can live with a dragon swallowing a man instead of a prancing donkey is another story...

Ferrari would sell you of course the whole pump, which isn't necessary, but when time is of the essence, Koln would be the only solution. Ask to keep your old pump and have a new motor fitted. They aren't getting cheaper and more available, and are known weak spot on the F1 system...

P.S. Given your use of the car, I would look to have a set of two custom lines made and run a cooler on the low pressure side. It should be a lot more cost effective than the GTO solution. Btw, the girly sister company doesn't suffer with the same overheating issues, and the F1 system there is even faster/more stressed...



Edited by Cheburator mk2 on Tuesday 25th June 10:36
Hi Cheburator,

That's fantastic information and matches what Simon at SS Autotech said. As you said time limits options and I'm no so bothered the part origin. It's amazing how many times the prancing donkey parts come is a girly sister company box biggrin

I'll see about keeping the pump / motor and getting it refurbished.

Really so appreciate the help, thank you

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
It's a 5k walk on a beautiful morning back to my stranded car. While waiting for the tow truck I follow Lee's advice and swap everything back to standard for fuses and relays leaving the blown ones pulled.

The tow truck arrives and we have to push the 599 around as I stupidly parked nose in but no other option really. Tell you what she is heavy to push around and without the power steering (car won't allow me to start) we're struggling. But we managed to make enough room to get the tow truck infront.



The tow truck driver likes the 599, he's even more impressed by the bug splatter. I don't think he likes garage queens. He asks if I drove on the Nordschleife and I show him my lap time. I get a thumps up and 'super'.

All loaded up and off to Ferrari Koln
https://koeln.ferraridealers.com/de-DE



A little over an hour later we arrive. Set up is very much like Ferrari Hamburg.


And I enjoy some Ferrari hospitality as they're super busy. All ramps are full and there's a queue. I'm hanging around for a couple hours in the hope they can run a quick diagnostic before I have to leave.


GusB

273 posts

162 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
Good luck mate, I hope they sort it quickly for you!! Gus

DeejRC

6,015 posts

85 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
Was the flower arrangement pArt of the hospitality? tongue out

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
GusB said:
Good luck mate, I hope they sort it quickly for you!! Gus
Unfortunately not, in a hire car. Ferrari Koln will repair and store the car till I can come back in August

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
DeejRC said:
Was the flower arrangement pArt of the hospitality? tongue out
Yes, yes they were, very pretty and friendly.

redcard

tumbleweed


cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
https://youtu.be/D4-u6k0DjsY?si=EnH1pqVcMTB31BXC

I do like his videos and he's quite right: expensive and very special but he's wrong about the gearbox and suspension.

Suspension can be rebuilt just go and speak to Leo at madeno racing and there's another polish company that does it.

As for the gearbox auto mode you learn to feel for when it wants to change and you can really help it and that smooth it out a lot. Full throttle upshift is brutal.

I do agree about the bumpy road button.

And you can really Hustle but you do need your wits about you. Especially CST off.

DeejRC

6,015 posts

85 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
Bumpy road button is the best button ever invented!

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
DeejRC said:
Bumpy road button is the best button ever invented!
I can think of another button

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

ANOpax

867 posts

169 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
Sorry to hear that she’s out of action until August. What a bummer.

Apologies if I missed it earlier in the thread but what device are you using to read the OBD error codes? It should probably be part of every travelling tool kit!

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
ANOpax said:
Sorry to hear that she’s out of action until August. What a bummer.

Apologies if I missed it earlier in the thread but what device are you using to read the OBD error codes? It should probably be part of every travelling tool kit!
This is the one
https://www.autelstore.co.uk/wholesale/autel-maxia...

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Tuesday 25th June
quotequote all
cake eater said:
ANOpax said:
Sorry to hear that she’s out of action until August. What a bummer.

Apologies if I missed it earlier in the thread but what device are you using to read the OBD error codes? It should probably be part of every travelling tool kit!
This is the one
https://www.autelstore.co.uk/wholesale/autel-maxia...
Try these reviews
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/...

https://haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutorials/best-obd-s...

ANOpax

867 posts

169 months

Wednesday 26th June
quotequote all
cake eater said:
Thank you for the recommendation. I've ordered one.

Any update from Ferrari?

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Thursday 27th June
quotequote all
Hmm, I'm suspicious ....

scratchchin



cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Thursday 27th June
quotequote all
ANOpax said:
cake eater said:
Thank you for the recommendation. I've ordered one.

Any update from Ferrari?
Just called, Nothing as yet. I think as soon as I left, knowing I'm not back till late August they've put the 599 to the bottom of the list

IMI A

9,471 posts

204 months

Thursday 27th June
quotequote all
cake eater said:
Hmm, I'm suspicious ....

scratchchin
Genuinely do not know how these sort of hybrids and EVs are set to kill our beloved dinosaurs. Such a lie the average motorist is being sold at the moment with lithium based power in terms of over all carbon footprint over whole of life. Very sad and all to the benefit of competing single party governments...
Our leaders in West literally clueless. Not to mention these EVs and hybrids so average to drive.

Back on topic legend for using a 599 like this! I find the back end so twitchy on these I would not dare hehe

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Thursday 27th June
quotequote all
cake eater said:
ANOpax said:
cake eater said:
Thank you for the recommendation. I've ordered one.

Any update from Ferrari?
Just called, Nothing as yet. I think as soon as I left, knowing I'm not back till late August they've put the 599 to the bottom of the list
Just got a call back from Christian at Ferrari Koln. I have done them a disservice as they had the car on the ramp. Initial investigation says pump is damaged and that they have ordered a new one which is one week delivery.

We'll see what the update is once installed.

cake eater

Original Poster:

760 posts

169 months

Thursday 27th June
quotequote all
IMI A said:
cake eater said:
Hmm, I'm suspicious ....

scratchchin
Genuinely do not know how these sort of hybrids and EVs are set to kill our beloved dinosaurs. Such a lie the average motorist is being sold at the moment with lithium based power in terms of over all carbon footprint over whole of life. Very sad and all to the benefit of competing single party governments...
Our leaders in West literally clueless. Not to mention these EVs and hybrids so average to drive.

Back on topic legend for using a 599 like this! I find the back end so twitchy on these I would not dare hehe
My hire car was a hybrid, Volvo XC40. Very capable car, loads of nannying driver assistance and you could easily sleep and let the thing drive as it's mind numbingly boring. Too many settings, too slow to respond and I couldn't get comfortable with the steering/ pedal position.

As for EVs saving the world I think they're sadly mistaken but you have to start somewhere.

As for the donkey's arse, definitely deserves watching.

I was reading this thread and it has made me wonder about my own risk acceptance, especially as I do lean on the CST and have experienced some of the things mentioned

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing//topic.asp?h=0...

Nordschleife is not a place to turn the CST off and see what happens. I have at Millbrook and Drift.de but you've lots of room for when it goes wrong. And it goes wrong for me a lot.

Hughesie

12,578 posts

285 months

Saturday 29th June
quotequote all
cake eater said:
Hi Hughesie,

Did you manage to find the reason for the bulb failure warning? Was it the LEDs?
Nope, LED sides are fine, just the main bulbs was the problem so stayed OEM.