Gallardo... what's the catch?

Gallardo... what's the catch?

Author
Discussion

Larry5.2

468 posts

66 months

Saturday 21st December 2019
quotequote all
4321go said:
To borescope the cylinders requires the plenums to be removed. It’s not a quick or simple job. Nor cheap. Frankly not the sort of thing that any seller would agree to. Basically, watch a startup from cold and if it doesn’t smoke, have the car de-catted as soon as possible after purchase.
Boroscope is done through spark plug holes.... so providing it's not diesel, it's quite easy...

Spindoctor

563 posts

158 months

Saturday 21st December 2019
quotequote all
p4cks said:
So if I’m reading that correctly, I want to see smoke on a cold start up?
I think what 4321go is saying is that if the Gallardo smokes on start-up you exit stage left. Unless you fancy a bit of a project.

p4cks

Original Poster:

4,744 posts

157 months

Saturday 21st December 2019
quotequote all
Spindoctor said:
p4cks said:
So if I’m reading that correctly, I want to see smoke on a cold start up?
I think what 4321go is saying is that if the Gallardo smokes on start-up you exit stage left. Unless you fancy a bit of a project.
Gotcha. I've re-read it now and it makes more sense, cheers!

p4cks

Original Poster:

4,744 posts

157 months

Saturday 21st December 2019
quotequote all
Thoughts on this from Supercar Rooms?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273954283063?ul_noapp=t...


markiii

1,467 posts

152 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
strictly speaking its only had 1 service since 2013, however that appears to be because its done very little mileage since then. Which whilst understandable makes it a car thats sat for the best part of 6 years


Superleg48

1,012 posts

91 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
markiii said:
strictly speaking its only had 1 service since 2013, however that appears to be because its done very little mileage since then. Which whilst understandable makes it a car thats sat for the best part of 6 years
That’ll be a mountain of hassle whenever someone asks it work again. These cars, like any car really, are far better off for being used as intended and not sat doing nothing for years on end. If you want an ornament, buy a vase.

p4cks

Original Poster:

4,744 posts

157 months

Monday 23rd December 2019
quotequote all
What’s the consensus on a car with the cats bypassed versus one with the original cats on?

BlackR8

341 posts

35 months

Monday 23rd December 2019
quotequote all
Superleg48 said:
markiii said:
strictly speaking its only had 1 service since 2013, however that appears to be because its done very little mileage since then. Which whilst understandable makes it a car thats sat for the best part of 6 years
That’ll be a mountain of hassle whenever someone asks it work again. These cars, like any car really, are far better off for being used as intended and not sat doing nothing for years on end. If you want an ornament, buy a vase.
Agree with this, pity that if you are using the cars as intended when it comes to the time to move on, no one is then interested in buying it due to the mileage on it despite the fact that it will probably drive better than those that sit around with low mileage.

andrew

9,071 posts

150 months

Monday 23rd December 2019
quotequote all
p4cks said:
What’s the consensus on a car with the cats bypassed versus one with the original cats on?
pretty good way to halve the already small number of people who'll buy it off you when you come to sell...

p4cks

Original Poster:

4,744 posts

157 months

Monday 23rd December 2019
quotequote all
I see. I've heard the standard cats can cause engine problems then conversely others have said that the standard cats are fine

markiii

1,467 posts

152 months

Monday 23rd December 2019
quotequote all
cats are easy enough to replace

Superleg48

1,012 posts

91 months

Monday 23rd December 2019
quotequote all
A pre-LP with the Cats by-passed is a good thing.

Replacing the Cats like for like does not make the problem they cause go away. It is an inherent design flaw in the positioning of the Cats so far up the headers. A standard car, over time will not “be fine”. Don’t take my word for it, read 4321Go’s engine rebuild thread, especially the beginning which explains why the engine is being rebuilt. Also go to Lambotalk the topic is discussed there and feel free to solicit opinions perhaps of the guys working on 4321Go’s car in Swindon, or indeed any other experienced specialists that work on these cars.

Anyway, no doubt you’ll do your research and all the best with your search. You will thoroughly enjoy whatever car you choose to buy, I am sure.


p4cks

Original Poster:

4,744 posts

157 months

Tuesday 24th December 2019
quotequote all
Superleg48 said:
A pre-LP with the Cats by-passed is a good thing.

Replacing the Cats like for like does not make the problem they cause go away. It is an inherent design flaw in the positioning of the Cats so far up the headers. A standard car, over time will not “be fine”. Don’t take my word for it, read 4321Go’s engine rebuild thread, especially the beginning which explains why the engine is being rebuilt. Also go to Lambotalk the topic is discussed there and feel free to solicit opinions perhaps of the guys working on 4321Go’s car in Swindon, or indeed any other experienced specialists that work on these cars.

Anyway, no doubt you’ll do your research and all the best with your search. You will thoroughly enjoy whatever car you choose to buy, I am sure.
Cheers for that. I've been on lamborghinitalk and had a good look at the threads, but is there one you'd recommend that discusses the cats on pre-LP cars?

markiii

1,467 posts

152 months

Tuesday 24th December 2019
quotequote all
wondering that too, I've been on there years and totally missed anything about cat breakup

NewNameNeeded

2,383 posts

183 months

Tuesday 24th December 2019
quotequote all
4321go said:
Over six years, I’ve taken a manual, pre-LP car from 42k to 106k miles
Can you recommend any good write ups on living with a Gallardo as a daily? I'm trying to understand how it would compare to a R8 V8 in terms of practical considerations and costs. For instance in 20,000 miles I've never had a road or ramp the R8 had problems getting over, but I hear the Gallardo front lift is almost essential… so clearly some big differences, despite some big similarities.

As a reference I've added 20,000 miles in two years to my R8. It's cost a little over £5k in maintenance (2 x service, a couple of parts needing replacing including one mag-ride shock, some new tyres). I've found very few occasions where I wouldn't or couldn't take the R8 despite plenty of youtube videos suggesting otherwise. Is the Gallardo THAT different?



yorksram

20 posts

89 months

Tuesday 24th December 2019
quotequote all
I fitted Larini sports cats to my pre-lp superleggera, I still have the oem cats and they look ok in terms of condition but the extra performance, noise and peace of mind was worth the cost.

andrew

9,071 posts

150 months

Tuesday 24th December 2019
quotequote all
yorksram said:
I fitted Larini sports cats to my pre-lp superleggera, I still have the oem cats and they look ok in terms of condition but the extra performance, noise and peace of mind was worth the cost.
can i ask who fitted them and what the cost was ?

4321go

553 posts

145 months

Tuesday 24th December 2019
quotequote all
NewNameNeeded said:
4321go said:
Over six years, I’ve taken a manual, pre-LP car from 42k to 106k miles
Can you recommend any good write ups on living with a Gallardo as a daily? I'm trying to understand how it would compare to a R8 V8 in terms of practical considerations and costs. For instance in 20,000 miles I've never had a road or ramp the R8 had problems getting over, but I hear the Gallardo front lift is almost essential… so clearly some big differences, despite some big similarities.

As a reference I've added 20,000 miles in two years to my R8. It's cost a little over £5k in maintenance (2 x service, a couple of parts needing replacing including one mag-ride shock, some new tyres). I've found very few occasions where I wouldn't or couldn't take the R8 despite plenty of youtube videos suggesting otherwise. Is the Gallardo THAT different?
I’ll start by referring you to y own words that you quoted at the beginning of your post.......

In 64,000 miles of use, I’ve never needed the front end lifting system that my car isn’t fitted with, but which most other “users” insist is essential. That’s despite using it absolutely everywhere as a daily driver, encountering speed humps as a matter of normal daily usage, fitting winter tyres each winter and driving it on snow-covered country lanes..... Oh! And parking in a 1970’s multi-storey concrete car park with steep ramps between the floors. Every single day at work.

As for the catalytic converter issue.........

I could write about the chap who contacted me to say that two low-mileage SLs that he had enquired about, with a view to buying, had both had engine rebuilds at under 20,000 miles as a result of engine SEIZURE due to the cats completely disintegrating. But he didn’t want it mentioned as another friend of his was trying to sell his pre-LP car at the time.

Or you could talk to any of the independents specialising in the Gallardo, and hear what they have to say about it. Ricky doesn’t sell cars, so has no vested interest there. Sunni at BHP does sell cars, but won’t sell one with cats fitted.

I have nothing to gain either by bringing it to your attention. If I chose to sell (and I’m not), how much for my early, boggo car; 106,000 miles and an engine rebuild. Quite! Peanuts. I bang the drum in the hope that it’ll save current (and maybe potential) owners several tens of thousands of pounds in the (not-so) long run. Many have “got” it and Ricky has de-catted numerous cars of late (which won’t exactly be paying for his super-yacht anytime soon!). Many others will tell you that their car is “fine” with cats.

They’re good cars. Well built. Fun to drive. Do your research. Choose well. DRIVE your purchase and enjoy it.


p4cks

Original Poster:

4,744 posts

157 months

Wednesday 25th December 2019
quotequote all
4321go said:
...First hand stuff...
That's pretty much made my mind up about job number one on whichever Gallardo I go for, and of course find a friendly MOT centre.

NewNameNeeded

2,383 posts

183 months

Wednesday 25th December 2019
quotequote all
4321go said:
In 64,000 miles of use, I’ve never needed the front end lifting system that my car isn’t fitted with, but which most other “users” insist is essential.
It's this kind of owner insight that I find really interesting, so thank you. So many YouTube videos I watched pre-R8 purchase talked about the restrictions as a result of its width, height, etc. I've not encountered the same problems at all.