Gallardo... what's the catch?

Gallardo... what's the catch?

Author
Discussion

tomvcarter

1,043 posts

160 months

Thursday 26th November 2020
quotequote all
Does anyone know anything about this Gallardo?

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2003-lamborghi...

Sarnie

7,042 posts

176 months

Thursday 26th November 2020
quotequote all
There weren't many 53 plate Gallardo's......must have been one of the very first cars......

tomvcarter

1,043 posts

160 months

Thursday 26th November 2020
quotequote all
Do you think that means that it was a press car and therefore hammered?
And likely to be riddled with issues as it was such an early car?

Any idea what I could expect this to go for at auction?

rat rod

2,489 posts

32 months

Thursday 26th November 2020
quotequote all
tomvcarter said:
Does anyone know anything about this Gallardo?

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2003-lamborghi...
Chris Harris had one of the first Gallardo's in black when he worked for Autocar,

Remember reading about it in the magazine,

This could be his old car.

Sam348

5 posts

36 months

Thursday 26th November 2020
quotequote all
tomvcarter said:
Does anyone know anything about this Gallardo?

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2003-lamborghi...
Hi - this is my car! I've had it a few years and have absolutely treasured it. You'll see from the full description going live in the next few days that there's been no expense spared during my ownership and it's been 100% reliable. I headed over to Europe in it last year and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. I think its fair to say any niggles with the early cars have been addressed in its 17 years and 62k miles of use!

Feel free to contact me direct if you've got any question after reading the full advert. Cheers.

tomvcarter

1,043 posts

160 months

Saturday 28th November 2020
quotequote all
Sam348 said:
Hi - this is my car! I've had it a few years and have absolutely treasured it. You'll see from the full description going live in the next few days that there's been no expense spared during my ownership and it's been 100% reliable. I headed over to Europe in it last year and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. I think its fair to say any niggles with the early cars have been addressed in its 17 years and 62k miles of use!

Feel free to contact me direct if you've got any question after reading the full advert. Cheers.
Ah nice. I'm interested, and keen to see the full description.
Just wondering what the clutch history is like?

Sam348

5 posts

36 months

Sunday 29th November 2020
quotequote all
tomvcarter said:
Sam348 said:
Hi - this is my car! I've had it a few years and have absolutely treasured it. You'll see from the full description going live in the next few days that there's been no expense spared during my ownership and it's been 100% reliable. I headed over to Europe in it last year and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. I think its fair to say any niggles with the early cars have been addressed in its 17 years and 62k miles of use!

Feel free to contact me direct if you've got any question after reading the full advert. Cheers.
Ah nice. I'm interested, and keen to see the full description.
Just wondering what the clutch history is like?
Hi - the full description is going live tomorrow, think its best to raise any questions on the comments section there please so all interested people can see my responses. Cheers

Daryl-gvztx

2 posts

45 months

Thursday 17th December 2020
quotequote all
4321go said:
Not an Evora, but I owned two late-model Esprits. A ‘99 GT3, the very last one built, hence the very last 4-cylinder Esprit built, and the only car that I’ve ever bought new. And then a ‘99 V8GT. Both were daily drivers, clocking over 1000 miles per month. Then came a F355 for five years; an absolute money pit as a daily driver. Then an Aventime for about 18 months. And then....... my last car before the Gallardo..... a Clio V6 (phase 2, Liquid Gold with the cream exception pack interior)!!

So, great taste in cars!

Yes, it’s going to be a little more than £15k. The gearbox costs are mounting...... And then there’s the new (pattern) windscreen that’s awaiting fitting....... And the new (second hand, but immaculate and already the correct colour) glass tailgate....... And..... Oops!!

To borescope the cylinders requires the plenums to be removed. It’s not a quick or simple job. Nor cheap. Frankly not the sort of thing that any seller would agree to. Basically, watch a startup from cold and if it doesn’t smoke, have the car de-catted as soon as possible after purchase.
Just researching Gallardo's, came across this thread while also looking at old pictures, and found what I believe to be your car at Brooklands a while back.

p4cks

Original Poster:

5,650 posts

166 months

Tuesday 29th December 2020
quotequote all

petop

1,841 posts

133 months

Tuesday 29th December 2020
quotequote all
p4cks said:
Wrapped and in Bradford....eyes need to be very wide and open!

Lee Jones Jnr

1,016 posts

137 months

Tuesday 29th December 2020
quotequote all
I wouldn't buy a car with a wrap on.

andrew

9,293 posts

159 months

Tuesday 29th December 2020
quotequote all
"AT 29000 MILES IT HAD 8500 SPENT ON A CLUTCH SYSTEM ETC"

firstly, that's a short clutch life
secondly, that's a lot of "etc"

Lee Jones Jnr

1,016 posts

137 months

Tuesday 29th December 2020
quotequote all
andrew said:
"AT 29000 MILES IT HAD 8500 SPENT ON A CLUTCH SYSTEM ETC"

firstly, that's a short clutch life
secondly, that's a lot of "etc"
Dunno about that, I bought one which had a new clutch as part of the deal as it was on 20% health at 17'000 miles

Spindoctor

629 posts

167 months

Tuesday 29th December 2020
quotequote all
andrew said:
"AT 29000 MILES IT HAD 8500 SPENT ON A CLUTCH SYSTEM ETC"

firstly, that's a short clutch life
secondly, that's a lot of "etc"
A new clutch at 29k miles isn’t exactly unusual for a Gallardo. But yes, I know some have lasted a lot longer...

That bill is hefty but at least it was done at a well known specialist and the itemised invoice is included in the photos so you can see how it all adds up. But that was 8 years and 18k miles ago so you’d certainly want to measure the clutch wear now.

I quite like the colour of the wrap but I wouldn’t buy a wrapped one. Mysteries lurk underneath.

Don’t know this dealer but you’d want to be really sure they’re a different breed from certain other Bradford dealers in high end cars.




iridium_moon

45 posts

25 months

Wednesday 20th January
quotequote all
Hi

I'm new to Gallardos, currently looking for a lockdown Spyder distraction ... What do you gurus reckon on these two please?

And how can the 2009 car have the 5.0 engine? I thought all post '08 cars were 5.2s with the Corsa mode 'box. Or am I confused? :-)

2009 Spyder

2010 Spyder

Cheers, Mark

Superleg48

1,366 posts

100 months

Wednesday 20th January
quotequote all
iridium_moon said:
Hi

I'm new to Gallardos, currently looking for a lockdown Spyder distraction ... What do you gurus reckon on these two please?

And how can the 2009 car have the 5.0 engine? I thought all post '08 cars were 5.2s with the Corsa mode 'box. Or am I confused? :-)

2009 Spyder

2010 Spyder

Cheers, Mark
The ‘09 is actually a MY08 just registered in early 09.

iridium_moon

45 posts

25 months

Thursday 21st January
quotequote all
Superleg48 said:
The ‘09 is actually a MY08 just registered in early 09.
I guessed that might have been it. Thanks for confirming.

Spindoctor said:
Most informative :-) Thanks!

I wonder if that car actually exists, or who owns it if it's on SOR. Does anybody know this vehicle? (2010 (60) LP 560-4 e-Gear Spyder in Arancio Borealis, carbon ceramic, 20,000 miles, four owners. One defining feature is a retro-fitted Pioneer stereo and SatNav system.) A long shot I know!

Any thoughts on the model? My research indicates this is a good version to go for. It would be a keeper.

Very interesting stories, but the agent did not make the car. I was born in Essex and am not easy to cheat, and find attempts thereat simply entertaining :-) I'm going to investigate this one ...

Edited by iridium_moon on Thursday 21st January 00:23


Edited by iridium_moon on Thursday 21st January 00:29

Denno B

796 posts

172 months

Saturday 30th January
quotequote all
Anyone know how many LP570-4 Performante Spyders were made? Are they good value at a touch over £100k?

iridium_moon

45 posts

25 months

Monday 15th February
quotequote all
iridium_moon said:
Superleg48 said:
The ‘09 is actually a MY08 just registered in early 09.
I guessed that might have been it. Thanks for confirming.

Spindoctor said:
Most informative :-) Thanks!

...

Very interesting stories, but the agent did not make the car. I was born in Essex and am not easy to cheat, and find attempts thereat simply entertaining :-) I'm going to investigate this one ...
Update. I had an entertaining, if at times hard work, two-week exchange with both the dealer and the car owner.

Both were fine, no complaints from me at all. The dealer did talk a load of bull sometimes, but he's a used car dealer so that did not surprise me. What would surprise me is that anyone would be surprised by that smile

It's lovely car, maintained by a real stickler for detail, and with a solid main dealer service history. All the MoT and mileage data stacks up.

I would have gone for it had they accepted what I though was my very reasonable offer, considering that it's due a major service this summer, and that the clutch has only a few thousand miles left on it, tops.

I’m now looking at a similar but lower mileage and later example for the same money. The choice, as they say, is clear ….