Huracan help - 1st time buyer - owner advice please

Huracan help - 1st time buyer - owner advice please

Author
Discussion

OLDBENZ

294 posts

104 months

Tuesday 2nd February
quotequote all
I owned a Gallardo (stick shift) in the UK for 9 years from new in 2005 and it was nearly faultless over 36,000 miles. I currently have a 2017 LP610-4 which I bought new. I have approx 10,000 miles on that. Likewise faultless save for a warranty claim for a new cup holder. No complaint about H R Owen in London on the servicing side, either.

Skittles001

633 posts

231 months

Tuesday 2nd February
quotequote all
Just checked - hill hold is there.


tigertiger12

Original Poster:

74 posts

7 months

Tuesday 2nd February
quotequote all
TonyF said:
If it’s a choice between the Mac and the huracan then huracan all day long. I have a performante spider ( so a tad biase) and it hasn’t missed a beat in the 2 and a bit years I’ve owned her and every mile has put a massive smile on my face. The noise of that V10 is intoxicating and very addictive.
On the negative side( for maclaren anyway) I have friends and family members that do and have owned maclarens and there’s not a positive word from any of them regarding ownership I’m not at all surprised about your recent findings on the 570 re panel gaps etc. It’s not good ownership experience and I’ll leave it there before being flamed by Mac owners !!
Had a Gallardo spider around 7 years ago and was the same story there, very reliable and a great fun car.
Good luck with your huracan search, I know you will enjoy every second driving it.
Indeed I agree with you totally, the sound is very important and I was looking for a Mac with a sports exhaust but still the sound is not in the same league as the Huracan which is one of the most important features the wife wants, as do I. This then makes the quality of the hifi less important as the sound from the car better than music. The B&W upgrade on the 570S was shockingly bad quality considering the upgrade price and that it was made by B&W, with their being less sound from the engine I would use the hifi more in the 570S. With the sound from the Huracan, my wife would probably not bother with the hifi at all. Then there is the addition of the pops and bangs on the huracan which she would also love and has asked about! At first she was happy with buying a Mac but she also saw the panel gaps and dealer communication basically ignoring this. With the Huracan she is far more excited and constantly talking about it much much more than the Mac, which died down after a few days.

As time has gone on I have seen more about reliability and dealer issues regarding the Mac which is sad. I will always like Mac's but makes me think twice about buying one, which is the same feeling I have about Ferrari. It is usual with these types of cars that problems take time to resolve which would be a big problem as I would like to use it as a low mileage daily driver, but would be a problem if it's at a dealer repeatedly.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate your advice and experience very much, it helps me greatly.

tigertiger12

Original Poster:

74 posts

7 months

Tuesday 2nd February
quotequote all
OLDBENZ said:
I owned a Gallardo (stick shift) in the UK for 9 years from new in 2005 and it was nearly faultless over 36,000 miles. I currently have a 2017 LP610-4 which I bought new. I have approx 10,000 miles on that. Likewise faultless save for a warranty claim for a new cup holder. No complaint about H R Owen in London on the servicing side, either.
Again another plus for the Huracan, and again the issue you had completely irrelevant, that non cost cup holder issue must have made you want to return the vehicle immediately, ha.

Thanks again for giving your experience, it all helps a lot and I am grateful for your time.

tigertiger12

Original Poster:

74 posts

7 months

Tuesday 2nd February
quotequote all
Skittles001 said:
Just checked - hill hold is there.

You are a superstar, thanks for that, the only concern I have is that it states 'the vehicle must be on an upward slope'
I would want to activate the feature at traffic lights on a flat road.
it certainly helps when the car is on an upward slope but I do use this feature a lot every time I drive.

Certainly not a deal breaker and even this helps when on an incline, but would be interesting to know if I can use this at the lights.
If anyone else knows about this, it would be very much appreciated, if not maybe I will ask private sellers as they are more likely to know and answer correctly than a dealer, maybe.

I really appreciate the time you have spent to find the answer to this for me, it really is a great feature on any car.
Thank you very much.

tigertiger12

Original Poster:

74 posts

7 months

Tuesday 2nd February
quotequote all
I feel there has been good feedback and experience from huracan owners which really helps my decision. Certainly more always helps.

There is one currently on autotrader just under £115k which is a very very tempting price that I am inclined to jump at with only 1 owner for private sale.
I would have the vehicle inspected by HR Owen and a further inspection prior to front ppf installation which is by a very well known company that has a very good reputation that no doubt some of you know and use. I'm also considering waiting to see if I can get a higher spec or 2016 car.

Due to the reliability of the Huracan I feel more confident to buy one privately or from a non main dealer without a dealer warranty but I would have any vehicle inspected twice for peace of mind. Please let me know how you feel about this, if you feel this is not a good idea, please let me know. I didn't feel this was the case with the Mac.

I will get a warranty, so recommendations would be good but only without a claim limit, If anyone has any experience with RAC platinum or plat Plus warranties that would be great. But if there are better warranty companies I would be grateful for recommendations.

If I buy outside the dealer network without a dealer warranty then I will have a blackvue installed probably the new version of the Dr 900s, the DR900X with a 24hr battery, rear cam and 4G LTE module. With this I don't need a tracker.

I may even have a carbon fibre rear spoiler installed, depends on how much I get the car for, if I spend more than I expect then this can wait or be left.

DamanC

97 posts

111 months

Tuesday 2nd February
quotequote all
Any "un-normal" car, or a car over a certain value from private needs a PPI from someone in the know, unless you really know what you are looking for. A Genuine seller will be fine with this.

3rd Party warranty is generally not worth the paper printed on lots of caveats, put what you save in a "repair pot", law of averages says you will be better off.

tigertiger12

Original Poster:

74 posts

7 months

Friday 5th February
quotequote all
DamanC said:
Any "un-normal" car, or a car over a certain value from private needs a PPI from someone in the know, unless you really know what you are looking for. A Genuine seller will be fine with this.

3rd Party warranty is generally not worth the paper printed on lots of caveats, put what you save in a "repair pot", law of averages says you will be better off.
I would go through the 3rd party warranty, some are very good.
I think for my first lambo i'd want a warranty for at least a couple of years then may switch to 'repair pot'

Engine or gearbox issues worry me which would put my 'repair pot' backwards especially in the first few of years.
After a year or two of no claim driving and having the car inspected again, the repair pot may be the way to go.
However, £4 / £5k a year is peace of mind.

Thanks for the advice, certainly something to think about.

tigertiger12

Original Poster:

74 posts

7 months

Friday 5th February
quotequote all
A few huracans have been added to autotrader in the last couple of days.
I do think with the covid vaccine and apparent fewer cases may bring more to the market from people whom have wanted to sell and change up but haven't been able to due to lower production numbers.

I may just hang on and see how it goes over the next two months, the low end of the market may get to £105k in a few months from the £115k it currently is. I could then look at the £115 / £120 mark for a decent(ish) spec model, it is hard to find cruise control at this price point, I do use cruise control, it does help stick to 30 or 40mph for example and those blank buttons are annoying but it isn't an essential option, if i found the right car without cruise i'd buy it.

I do think we may soon see more come to the market as lockdown eases and people feel we may return to some normality though I still feel it will take a long time to return to what life was like before.

I appreciate all the advice posted, it has all been very helpful and reassuring for me, I will no doubt get a huracan at some point.
My Tesla Roadster order will take time to fulfil. I doubt I will get it till 2023, the factory has to be completed, production start, then get to my order which
was only a year ago but at least Tesla is in a good financial position to be able to do this. This gives me the ability to buy a huracan in place of the Tesla and possibly give me time to save more to keep both. If not I will sell the huracan for the Tesla.

I can also look into the huracan more to learn more about the options and the car itself and get a 2016 car.
I always appreciate more advice and will keep this thread updated and add pics when I make my purchase.

tigertiger12

Original Poster:

74 posts

7 months

Wednesday 10th February
quotequote all
There are a number of cars available in white, they are at good prices but making me wonder if the colour does not help resale.
I like the vehicle in white but there are 5 on the first page of autotrader (options: 2015+, coupe, 610-4).

Are cupholders standard? I believe there is one behind the centre console and one to the left of the oil pressure, temp and water gauges?

I'm liking the TEB and forged carbon engine bay so may have to increase my budget (again) slightly to accommodate for this. More importantly I like the extra view with the TEB rather than the louvred panels especially as the wife will also drive the vehicle and she needs all the help she can get.

I have also seen a couple with sensonum audio system and the advert also says infotainment system II, are these 2 separate items? What is included with the infotainment system II and what is the sensonum audio system? Or the difference between them?

If I get a car without euro maps, it is a simple change of a disk to get the euro maps as I will need this?

I see a few lp-580-2's with good specs but sadly I want a 610-4 which can get really pricey with options. Out of interest does anyone know the price of a base 580-2? I believe the 610-4 base is about £180k in 2015 rrp from HR Owen website, is this correct? I thought I read somewhere that it was £160k but now i'm wondering if this is the price for the 580-2? OK just seen that autocar says the 580-2 is £155,400 new and same as HR Owen at £180k for the LP 610-4.

https://www.hrowen.co.uk/lamborghini/huracan-lp-61...

I've seen some videos on youtube about the performante which is £27k more than the LP610-4. Even though it only has an extra 30hp more which decreases the 0-60mph time only and the top speed apparently remains the same, it is actually a flaming beast! I will have a look at some more videos as it does surprise me that the top speed remains the same, I understand it takes a lot more hp to increase the top speed with such powerful cars but thought it would have increased the top speed by 2 - 3mph but HR Owen states the top speed as 202mph which is the same as the 610-4. I know these figures can be conservative on some vehicles. For example Porsches tend to be slightly quicker and have a higher top speed than the manufacturer claims in tests using a GPS device and not the speedo. The speedo in Mclarens in particular the 570s can be around 10mph out at high speed. There is a video on youtube where it hit 205mph (204mph mclaren claim) as indicated by a Garmin VIRB but the speedo showed 217mph on the car itself, a whopping 12mph difference. I have also seen the huracan 610-4 hit a top speed of 205mph and another hitting 212mph with a novitec exhuast. Interestingly I saw a vehicle with a lambo warranty with a 'race' exhaust which was a £7k upgrade, would this be the novitec exhaust? If it is then it is well worth the £7k and I would probably consider this to be a 'must have' option.

Mclaren speedo accuracy test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji7Yb_PGNUQ


Turbo cab

1,601 posts

200 months

Wednesday 10th February
quotequote all
Having owned both my thoughts are the following, all in my opinion of course wink.

McLaren build quality and reliability are both disastrous, it's a shame as they are a brilliant drivers car and once remapped make for a serious bit of kit that not a lot contends with - when it works that is.

The Huracan, never had a problem with the one warranty claim I had to make over three cars and 15k miles and was well reimbursed for the trouble, they are slower than the McLaren however, they feel fast due the awesome soundtrack and there are no problems in terms of build quality, they are probably one of the most reliable of all the exotic brands with Mclaren being by and far the worst, McLaren also doesn't sound that great either.

As it's your first experience you don't really want it soured by having an unreliable car that spends a lot of time in the garage being repaired so I would point you in the direction of the Lambo. I also found with the Mac it didn't give the same same level of excitement that you get when owning and driving an Italian exotic, the sound the emotion and the smiles per mile smile

In terms of attention they're probably on par with each other, the McLaren more people tend to stop and talk to you as they don't really know what it is where as people know what the Lamborghini is and admire.

Brakes are carbon ceramic so will not need disks replacing unless you track it hard and the pads do last quite a while before replacement unless again driving hard, I would guestimate 20k miles + on pads - our Urus needed pads at 24k miles but that is a big heavy beast that was driven berry hard.

Huracan Servicing is approx £1200 for a minor and around £2500 for a major - this is from memory as I didn't have any of mine long enough to service.

Huracan warranty is indeed 4 years and I'm pretty sure I read this can now be extended as was not the case before but can't comment on costs.

dazmanultra

325 posts

60 months

Wednesday 10th February
quotequote all
I think approximate new list prices were:-

£160k - 580-2
£180k - 610-4
£210k - Performante
£225k - Perf Spyder

You can probably spec from about ~£15k upwards, with 580-2s tending to be lighter spec.

s2000db

971 posts

121 months

Wednesday 10th February
quotequote all
The reason the Performante might not have a higher top speed (I doubt it tbh), is because of the active aerodynamics it uses to increase its cornering speed.
This is the reason that this car can lap quicker than cars with over 100hp more, and took the Nurburgring lap record on release.
It’s not all about drag times and top speed with the Performante! biggrin

tigertiger12

Original Poster:

74 posts

7 months

Wednesday 10th February
quotequote all
Turbo cab said:
Having owned both my thoughts are the following, all in my opinion of course wink.

McLaren build quality and reliability are both disastrous, it's a shame as they are a brilliant drivers car and once remapped make for a serious bit of kit that not a lot contends with - when it works that is.

The Huracan, never had a problem with the one warranty claim I had to make over three cars and 15k miles and was well reimbursed for the trouble, they are slower than the McLaren however, they feel fast due the awesome soundtrack and there are no problems in terms of build quality, they are probably one of the most reliable of all the exotic brands with Mclaren being by and far the worst, McLaren also doesn't sound that great either.

As it's your first experience you don't really want it soured by having an unreliable car that spends a lot of time in the garage being repaired so I would point you in the direction of the Lambo. I also found with the Mac it didn't give the same same level of excitement that you get when owning and driving an Italian exotic, the sound the emotion and the smiles per mile smile

In terms of attention they're probably on par with each other, the McLaren more people tend to stop and talk to you as they don't really know what it is where as people know what the Lamborghini is and admire.

Brakes are carbon ceramic so will not need disks replacing unless you track it hard and the pads do last quite a while before replacement unless again driving hard, I would guestimate 20k miles + on pads - our Urus needed pads at 24k miles but that is a big heavy beast that was driven berry hard.

Huracan Servicing is approx £1200 for a minor and around £2500 for a major - this is from memory as I didn't have any of mine long enough to service.

Huracan warranty is indeed 4 years and I'm pretty sure I read this can now be extended as was not the case before but can't comment on costs.
I am set on the huracan, in particular due to reliability and build quality which I saw and then researched to find was common on older models, the dealer being ignorant towards this didn't help either which led to me read about Mac dealers being like in general, at least a fair amount of people have experienced this. I'm not even looking at Mac's any more.

I do agree with all the points you make but was surprised that more people stop you to talk about the mclaren but understand why, their cars look very similar so can be difficult to differentiate also.
Indeed i'm not expecting to change the CCB but will have them checked / inspected during the ppi's, so twice. Though I suppose really it's 1 ppi and 1 where it will be delivered and ppf applied so very soon after purchase. I'm therefore not budgeting for disc's. I am very interested in the 'exhaust' upgrade, especially if it increases power but will then have to have this checked and will have to budget for this to be changed, though the vehicle I purchase will be low mileage and they can last a long time, it also depends on how the previous owner has driven. At least if I do budget for this I don't get caught short or make this cause me concern. I do see that a lot of people fit aftermarket exhausts on Lambo's, I think they had issues in the past with some early Gallardo's or people straight pipe them for more sound and power but this is not for me, i'd rather go with a factory exhaust race or novitec (if the novitec is factory)

Servicing costs are good, so far as I don't need too much more! Mclaren actually allow you to supply oil!

thanks for your comments.

tigertiger12

Original Poster:

74 posts

7 months

Wednesday 10th February
quotequote all
s2000db said:
The reason the Performante might not have a higher top speed (I doubt it tbh), is because of the active aerodynamics it uses to increase its cornering speed.
This is the reason that this car can lap quicker than cars with over 100hp more, and took the Nurburgring lap record on release.
It’s not all about drag times and top speed with the Performante! biggrin
I'm sure the performante does have a slightly higher top speed also. In any case as you said it's not all about top speed or drag times, though I have seen the performante drag times being much much better. It has a lot more grunt and puts the power down well.

It is a monster and a beast, anyone that has one is very lucky indeed, what a car.

BigR

272 posts

130 months

Thursday 11th February
quotequote all

To answer a couple of your specific questions:

Lambo race exhaust - not necessarily. There is a Lamborghini race exhaust which is a dealer fit. I have one :-) It's very loud and apparently not for road use. I of course use it on the road, you'll never get stopped, who'll be able to tell etc... as the dealer had one fitted to their demonstrator as a case in point! But it could be a Novitec or something else fitted - you'd need to ask to be sure.

The base price of around £180k sounds about right from the time. I think they bumped the prices around a bit a couple of years ago, but I forget. The 580-2 is a bit less for sure.

Audio - Sensonum is the upgraded factory system. It is very good in my opinion (I got that too on mine!), so I can only assume infotainment system II is the same...

Maps - the inbuilt satnav is rubbish as because, as I understand it, Lambo wouldn't pay for the traffic subscription, so its basically an electronic AA map. But ask yourself whether that matters as we all use google maps or whatever. The Evo has Android etc in-built as I understand it, but the previous models don't, so basically you have to go old-skool with a phone holder and your phone. But really, it doesn't matter in the scheme of things. The satnav will however be a European map - not just UK - as standard.

Cupholders - no, there are none. Unless you a few hundred quid to have one - and only one - that pops out the passenger side dashboard. Its about the only option I didn't take. Frankly if you're driving it'd be a bit dubious to reach it. Alternatively don't encourage such disgusting behaviour as people drinking coffee in your nice Lambo ;-) Overall they're fairly terrible for storage. I bought a £3 plastic thing from ebay which is discreetly down by the right side, stuck to the side of the car which holds my phone and whatever. But overall there's nowhere to put anything. That and headroom are my only gripes with the car and basically you put up with them because everything else is epic!

zedmtrappe

119 posts

64 months

Thursday 11th February
quotequote all
BigR said:
basically you put up with them because everything else is epic!
Love that!

andrew

9,293 posts

160 months

Thursday 11th February
quotequote all
zedmtrappe said:
BigR said:
basically you put up with them because everything else is epic!
Love that!
+1

DamanC

97 posts

111 months

Thursday 11th February
quotequote all
BigR said:
I bought a £3 plastic thing from ebay which is discreetly down by the right side, stuck to the side of the car which holds my phone and whatever. But overall there's nowhere to put anything.
What is this mystical device you talk of?

tigertiger12

Original Poster:

74 posts

7 months

Thursday 11th February
quotequote all
BigR said:
To answer a couple of your specific questions:

Lambo race exhaust - not necessarily. There is a Lamborghini race exhaust which is a dealer fit. I have one :-) It's very loud and apparently not for road use. I of course use it on the road, you'll never get stopped, who'll be able to tell etc... as the dealer had one fitted to their demonstrator as a case in point! But it could be a Novitec or something else fitted - you'd need to ask to be sure.

The base price of around £180k sounds about right from the time. I think they bumped the prices around a bit a couple of years ago, but I forget. The 580-2 is a bit less for sure.

Audio - Sensonum is the upgraded factory system. It is very good in my opinion (I got that too on mine!), so I can only assume infotainment system II is the same...

Maps - the inbuilt satnav is rubbish as because, as I understand it, Lambo wouldn't pay for the traffic subscription, so its basically an electronic AA map. But ask yourself whether that matters as we all use google maps or whatever. The Evo has Android etc in-built as I understand it, but the previous models don't, so basically you have to go old-skool with a phone holder and your phone. But really, it doesn't matter in the scheme of things. The satnav will however be a European map - not just UK - as standard.

Cupholders - no, there are none. Unless you a few hundred quid to have one - and only one - that pops out the passenger side dashboard. Its about the only option I didn't take. Frankly if you're driving it'd be a bit dubious to reach it. Alternatively don't encourage such disgusting behaviour as people drinking coffee in your nice Lambo ;-) Overall they're fairly terrible for storage. I bought a £3 plastic thing from ebay which is discreetly down by the right side, stuck to the side of the car which holds my phone and whatever. But overall there's nowhere to put anything. That and headroom are my only gripes with the car and basically you put up with them because everything else is epic!
Thank you for your valuable response. I will ask about the exhaust as I am interested in this option. How much do you think / know it will cost to replace?
Not for road use, ha, ok! Let's just keep that quiet then, even though it's a dealer fit option! Do you feel this has added power to your vehicle?

I don't mind a crap sat nav, From experience they are all quite bad in general from the manufacturer. I don't actually use google maps, though have done on very rare occasions when my car sat nav has let me down but even this has only been for a short length of a journey. I have an old 07 E class (petrol, just thought i'd mention this) and the sat nav is quite bad, but it does work very well and has rarely let me down, it even works in europe but did let me down badly only once in europe. The one in my 16 Cayenne is touchscreen and perfect for me. So I don't actually mind trying to get used to the sat nav in a 15/16 huracan, even with it's limitations, when i've used the merc sat nav and it has let me down, i've used google maps then saved the location on the car to use next time, but understand this does not always work. Thanks for letting me know that euro maps are standard, some ads specifically mention euro maps so I thought it was an option. Now I won't be asking that silly question when I enquire about a car!

I thought I saw a cupholder behind the centre console but I must be wrong. I completely agree this should not be encouraged, especially not hot drinks but I often have cold drinks with a screw cap bottle, but no big deal I can work around this for myself. Defo, reaching a drink in the holder would be awkward, I could just keep one in my laptop bag and stop for a drink.

Looking at the space behind the seats looks fairly good to me. When I get the car I would look to buy some type of bag(s) that would fit there without sliding all over the place to keep a few bits, nothing huge. I do tend to carry a laptop bag and sometimes another small bag around with me, so if I have a passenger the space behind the seats would be very useful for me. Though it seems small, it looks like enough space for me. I'm of average height so headroom wont be an issue for me.


I too would be interested in the discrete plastic thing you bought from ebay, a picture, item number or link would be great.

thanks again for your help and advice.