Huracan performante

Huracan performante

Author
Discussion

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

3,893 posts

249 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
It's been a long time coming but now have it. What a car! Where the 488 was 9 this is 10. I want to be able to take the wheels off myself, has anyone found a torque wrench solution? Any ownership tips?




LiveOnce

79 posts

77 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
Beauty! clap

Gameface

16,565 posts

45 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
I adore my Spyder. Best sounding car available IMO.

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

3,893 posts

249 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
Just got back from a lovely run out on some of my favourite local roads. Incredible. Ordered some back cushions as my back was hurting a bit.


epom

7,980 posts

129 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
Wow, enjoy smile

andrew

9,297 posts

160 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
Just got back from a lovely run out on some of my favourite local roads. Incredible. Ordered some back cushions as my back was hurting a bit.

your "local roads" look like quite tough going for a lambo
congrats thumbup

Taffy66

4,712 posts

70 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
How does it compare to your old 488 in terms of poke, ride etc. IIRC you bought your 488 very recently from JZM and wondering how painful the part exchange was for the Performante. I own a 488 myself and just wondering where i stand if i decide to change for something else.

rat rod

2,510 posts

33 months

Sunday 18th April
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
It's been a long time coming but now have it. What a car! Where the 488 was 9 this is 10. I want to be able to take the wheels off myself, has anyone found a torque wrench solution? Any ownership tips?





Instant Rock Star status music , Doesn't get any better than that.

Countach or Diablo, which one 's coming first thumbup




Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

3,893 posts

249 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Thanks again.

Taffy
I didn't get what I wanted on the 488 as over the past month prices seem to have moved further down again. I bought for £156k from JZM in October time and I've realised £136k now. The 488 is a fantastic car but I think there is a reluctance with some to like the turbo aspect of the car. Driving wise I'm a sucker for the noise of the car, it sounds like an FI car in corsa and the pops from the exhaust I love. I was a bit shocked by the very small front boot, much smaller than the 488, although there is a bit of space behind the seats. Mine has race seats which makes getting in and out a bit of a struggle and on my long drive home from the Cotswolds a bit painful on my back. However on the twisty roads they were fantastic. I have ordered some seat padding from demon tweeks. The nose lift is essential for me on the roads immediately near my home. It does feel a bit quicker and more responsive versus the 488 but its early days really. The ride is definitely harder even on strada.

Rat Rod
Thanks for the comments .. I think I have enough to keep me occupied at the moment but a Diablo SV or Lancia delta integrale evo 2 would be very nice distractions! P.S. did you write an article for supercar driver magazine recently?

Skittles001

633 posts

231 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Many congratulations on the lovely car. A bit like you I just got a Performante very recently and am loving it. If your car is the Philip Ireland one we have almost identical spec but in Giallo Inti .

I can recommend a few things:

1. Get the Carlinkit 2.0 wireless CarPlay adaptor. It means you can keep your phone in your pocket and as it automatically longs into CarPlay when you enter the car.

2. On the race seats - they are excellent at holding you but are quite hard. I specifically looked for these seats as wanted the full on Perf experience. They literally sit millimetres off the car floor so you really do feel part of the car. FYI I have put 1/2" of Durafoam under the centre section of the seat cushion and it makes a huge difference as cuts out the vibrations/bumps that make you back hurt. Happy to post pics if you want. The shape of the seats is perfect but there is very little padding in the bum area and that's so this adds to it. I did a 6 hour drive out in mine yesterday across Salisbury plain to Cheddar Gorge etc and they we excellent and no aches at all. I also ordered a seat cushion from Gary Hubbard for the very long Euro road trip drives for the long motorway sections - he makes bespoke ones to exactly match the interior including the stripe and laser etched patterns. It arrives next week. (I've attached a pic from his FB page)

3. Get the fourdot Performante number plate for the rear. It matches the hexagonal shapes of the car and the angles of the light clusterss etc so sets off the rear nicely.

It's an epic car and am absolutely loving mine. The sound, feeling and handling is intoxicating and it feels so alive. It's been a while since I have had so much enjoyment from driving a car. I had a 610-4 before this (which is an amazing car too) but this feels much more like (and more extreme than) my old 997.1 3.8 GT3 RS than the 610-4.

PS - a bit like you I like being able to remove the wheels so if you do come across what you need to remove the centre locks please do let me know.


Edited by Skittles001 on Monday 19th April 10:47

BigR

273 posts

130 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Re. Centrelocks - I have them on my non-Performante Huracan. Basically its a pigging-pain. Having approached Pangbourne they wouldn't sell me the tool that they use for this and inevitably almost no tyre shops have them.

Pangbourne do have a friendly tyre shop who have the tool so I ended up getting my tyres changed while it was in for a service. They did also say they'd seen many painful attempts at removal of them either by owners or other tyre shops, none of which had pretty results.

That said, my anal approach to car cleanliness means I'd love to be able to take them off myself and give the insides a ruddy good cleaning! :-)

Skittles001

633 posts

231 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
BigR said:
Re. Centrelocks - I have them on my non-Performante Huracan. Basically its a pigging-pain. Having approached Pangbourne they wouldn't sell me the tool that they use for this and inevitably almost no tyre shops have them.

Pangbourne do have a friendly tyre shop who have the tool so I ended up getting my tyres changed while it was in for a service. They did also say they'd seen many painful attempts at removal of them either by owners or other tyre shops, none of which had pretty results.

That said, my anal approach to car cleanliness means I'd love to be able to take them off myself and give the insides a ruddy good cleaning! :-)
BigR - Is this what you mean (pics) or something else. I had this in my frunk toolkit my car came with.
[url]
|https://thumbsnap.com/eU845DGV[/url][url]
|https://thumbsnap.com/qRfKrybh[/url]



Edited by Skittles001 on Monday 19th April 11:07

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

3,893 posts

249 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Skittles001 said:
BigR - Is this what you mean (pics) or something else. I had this in my frunk toolkit my car came with.
[url]
|https://thumbsnap.com/eU845DGV[/url][url]
|https://thumbsnap.com/qRfKrybh[/url]



Edited by Skittles001 on Monday 19th April 11:07
I have the same and some nice white leather gloves! Would one of these wrenches work .. I believe it needs to be 600nm or is someone getting confused with the torque from the engine! https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/torque-...

I think I can live without taking them off myself but what happens if you get a puncture at home or abroad. My nearest dealer is 70 miles away

I wonder if a friendly local porsche dealer/ indie would assist as they have similar.

Also there is some kind of pin you put in I've been told .. I don't think its straightforward.



Edited by Jonny TVR on Tuesday 20th April 12:59

WCZ

8,680 posts

162 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
lol respect for driving a race seat perf around those roads!

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

3,893 posts

249 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Thanks for the message skittles and yes its the Philip Ireland one.

1. Carplay. Not sure I found the right one on amazon. Is it this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carlinkit-Wireless-Conver...
I have a samsung

2.1/2" of Durafoam under the centre section of the seat cushion .... sounds great if you lasted 6 hours! if you wouldnt mind posting pics that would be great and I will do the same. The Hubbard set up looks very good. How much are they?

3. Got the number plates and they do look epic.

I intend on driving to the factory in September to get the service done which I'm really looking forward to. I have a hill climb booked at Shelsley Walsh as well. It would be good to get a trackday booked at goodwood too. We should have a performante meet!

Edited by Jonny TVR on Monday 19th April 12:57

Jonny TVR

Original Poster:

3,893 posts

249 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
WCZ said:
lol respect for driving a race seat perf around those roads!
Its only dodgy for a couple of miles then on to some fantastic driving roads

Skittles001

633 posts

231 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
The lack of padding is in the bum part/base where it's virtually solid (see pictures - despite the orientation the thinnest part is the base) i.e. the vertical part of the insert in the pic - it rests this way as all the padding is at the back!

I got some 1/4" durafoam high density foam (£10 from eBay) and cut it into shape - 3x layers for the base and one for the lumbar (which I subsequently took off as the back is already quite padded). I have to say it's made a hell of a difference - it cuts out a lot of the road shock/bumps and makes the buckets much more complaint. The centre section site slightly higher (barely noticeable) depending on how many layers you put. 1-2 layers is invisible, 3 layers sits a few mms higher but I suspect this will settle but still virtually un-noticeable.

If you want to do this, there is a torx screw at the base, under the seat - a bit fiddly but can be removed easily in a couple of mins. After this the centre section pops out with a bit of coaxing. Careful, the passenger side has the weight sensor but the cushion comes off enough to put padding underneath. The masking take holds the foam in place when you replace the cushion.







Edited by Skittles001 on Monday 19th April 13:41

Skittles001

633 posts

231 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
Its only dodgy for a couple of miles then on to some fantastic driving roads
Agreed, we had a 458, 991.1 GTS and an RS3 in the group and all coped well and enjoyed the route.

Wonderman

730 posts

163 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Skittles001 said:
The lack of padding is in the bum part/base where it's virtually solid (see pictures - despite the orientation the thin part is the base) i.e. the vertical - it rests this way as all the padding is at the back!.

I got some 1/4" durafoam high density foam (£10 from eBay) and cut it into shape - 3x layers for the base and one for the lumbar (which I subsequently took off as the back is already quite padded). I have to say it's made a hell of a difference - it cuts out a lot of the road shock/bumps and makes the buckets much more complaint. The centre section site slightly higher (barely noticeable) depending on how many layers you put. 1 layer is invisible, 3 layers is a a few mms higher but I suspect this will settle but still noticeable.

If you want to do this, there is a torx screw at the base, under the seat - a bit fiddly but can be removed easily in a. couple of mins. After this the centre section pops out with a bit of coaxing. Careful, the passenger side has the weight sensor but the cushion comes off enough to put padding underneath. The masking take holds the foam in place when you replace the cushion.





Presume the last shot it the Tenalady for the passenger on fast trips?;) Useful post, glad you guys are getting to enjoy your cars! beer

Skittles001

633 posts

231 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
Thanks for the message skittles and yes its the Philip Ireland one.

1. Carplay. Not sure I found the right one on amazon. Is it this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carlinkit-Wireless-Conver...
I have a samsung

2.1/2" of Durafoam under the centre section of the seat cushion .... sounds great if you lasted 6 hours! if you wouldnt mind posting pics that would be great and I will do the same. The Hubbard set up looks very good. How much are they?

3. Got the number plates and they do look epic.

I intend on driving to the factory in September to get the service done which I'm really looking forward to. I have a hill climb booked at Shelsley Walsh as well. It would be good to get a trackday booked at goodwood too. We should have a performante meet!

Edited by Jonny TVR on Monday 19th April 12:57
Hi. The wireless thing I got is this (currently on offer on Amazon). Just seen it's IOS only but not sure if they do an Android version.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089W5Q6S1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Hubbard cushions are £270 each but cheaper if you buy a pair and cheaper (and quicker) if you don't get the laser etching pattern). The lead times are 2 months ATM.