Under the Skin of a 720S Spider.

Under the Skin of a 720S Spider.

Author
Discussion

MAC 720S

Original Poster:

906 posts

101 months

Saturday 25th April
quotequote all
Thorney has released a decent video detailing some of the cooling techniques of the 720S.

It's interesting to see the rear of the bodywork off.

https://youtu.be/E8kFwsiVWu8


PompeyReece

821 posts

43 months

Saturday 25th April
quotequote all
Thanks, really interesting video, enjoyed that.

tyrrell

1,460 posts

162 months

Saturday 25th April
quotequote all
Yep that was excellent.

RBT0

1,174 posts

73 months

Saturday 25th April
quotequote all
Very good video but was looking forward to hear regarding BMC filter ilo stock and he didn't touch on it.

McLaren is top notch technology btw

650spider

942 posts

125 months

Tuesday 28th April
quotequote all
Great vid but it shows how technical and complicated the 720 is and how tied this car is to a McLaren workshop or basically Thorney...that seems to be the options.

When i was in speaking to the McLaren technicians in the workshop last year, to a man they all preferred working on the 12c / 650...they reckon it all got complicated and time consuming after that.

Just look at labour involved to fit an aftermarket exhaust on the 720...

Thorney is doing a great job putting these McLaren vids out...keep up the good work fella...thumbup

davek_964

6,631 posts

129 months

Tuesday 28th April
quotequote all
650spider said:
When i was in speaking to the McLaren technicians in the workshop last year, to a man they all preferred working on the 12c / 650...they reckon it all got complicated and time consuming after that.
Easier to change the battery though wink

650spider

942 posts

125 months

Tuesday 28th April
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
Easier to change the battery though wink
laugh

Yeah...that vid was a belter...thankfully they didn't do it in real time!

I prefer not to think about ever replacing the battery and the associated cost...

yikes

RBT0

1,174 posts

73 months

Tuesday 28th April
quotequote all
Guys McLarens are designed with performance in mind, even Thorney has made it clear in his video, serviceability is not priority.

It’s not a Porsche, it’s a league above performance wise, I keep telling this to people.

luigisayshello

140 posts

48 months

Thursday 21st May
quotequote all
RBT0 said:
Guys McLarens are designed with performance in mind, even Thorney has made it clear in his video, serviceability is not priority.

It’s not a Porsche, it’s a league above performance wise, I keep telling this to people.
That's a poor excuse for purposely complications to increase the revenue from service. Ferrari did this in the naughties. What Mclaren forgot is that their cars don't use the best quality basics, bolts, braces, plastics, are just sub-par so any niggle will take exponentially longer and given the choice on low quality small bits and bobs those niggles and small problems will occur more frequently so will the turnaround time and they don't really have the brand stability or the dealer/shop network to deal with all of this.

This move would be smart if they actually tried to increase the quality and reliability of their cars or if you have a brand solid enough to handle the extra money/time/headache, but they don't really focus that much, bare minimum quality is usually the option taken.

MAC 720S

Original Poster:

906 posts

101 months

Thursday 21st May
quotequote all
650spider said:
Great vid but it shows how technical and complicated the 720 is and how tied this car is to a McLaren workshop or basically Thorney...that seems to be the options.

When i was in speaking to the McLaren technicians in the workshop last year, to a man they all preferred working on the 12c / 650...they reckon it all got complicated and time consuming after that.

Just look at labour involved to fit an aftermarket exhaust on the 720...

Thorney is doing a great job putting these McLaren vids out...keep up the good work fella...thumbup
What until I post what is happening to my 720S. Full body off strip down and full permanent custom respray. Good pictures and video coming of what a 720S looks likes like fully undressed.

RBT0

1,174 posts

73 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
A bit negative view there, agree with some poor low cost low value choices on fixings/clips

But that's an error not driven by wanting to increase revenue nor focus on technical performance.

We're talking about 2 different things here.

For McLaren, performance and function come first and can be seen on the way they engineering key componens.

Low cost clips it's for an other topic.


650spider

942 posts

125 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
MAC 720S said:
650spider said:
Great vid but it shows how technical and complicated the 720 is and how tied this car is to a McLaren workshop or basically Thorney...that seems to be the options.

When i was in speaking to the McLaren technicians in the workshop last year, to a man they all preferred working on the 12c / 650...they reckon it all got complicated and time consuming after that.

Just look at labour involved to fit an aftermarket exhaust on the 720...

Thorney is doing a great job putting these McLaren vids out...keep up the good work fella...thumbup
What until I post what is happening to my 720S. Full body off strip down and full permanent custom respray. Good pictures and video coming of what a 720S looks likes like fully undressed.
Really looking forward to that
yes