Countach

Author
Discussion

Adam.

22,021 posts

226 months

Friday 29th October
quotequote all
Apologies for vulgarity (and not asking buyer to confirm) but I wonder how the man maths works on this.

300k plus 200k renovation = gives you a top finished car worth 450-500k? So these projects are more a labour of love than financial sense?

Great someone is putting another Countach back on the road of course.

Ferruccio

1,677 posts

91 months

Friday 29th October
quotequote all
Adam. said:
Apologies for vulgarity (and not asking buyer to confirm) but I wonder how the man maths works on this.

300k plus 200k renovation = gives you a top finished car worth 450-500k? So these projects are more a labour of love than financial sense?

Great someone is putting another Countach back on the road of course.
Some people just don’t do, or just don’t have to do, the “man maths”.

I suspect that the renovation will be more than you say but you end up with a perfect restored car.

The new prototype just done by the factory, was clearly an act of love, by the probably the foremost Lambo collector, though it’s probably worth at least what it cost.

Adam.

22,021 posts

226 months

Friday 29th October
quotequote all
Ferruccio said:
Some people just don’t do, or just don’t have to do, the “man maths”.

I suspect that the renovation will be more than you say but you end up with a perfect restored car.

The new prototype just done by the factory, was clearly an act of love, by the probably the foremost Lambo collector, though it’s probably worth at least what it cost.
Thanks. I don’t doubt it, if you are fortunate not to have to think about the cost it’s a fantastic thing to plan and do. Though the bidder mentioned his father had figured out a number. Is it cheaper to do in Italy than U.K. or are they more expert over there?


Edited by Adam. on Friday 29th October 22:52

Fessia fancier

629 posts

155 months

Saturday 30th October
quotequote all
APR88 said:
Hi! It was purchased by my father in law, he has been thinking about a Countach for years and has always wanted to find one that required restoration. This car coming up at auction seemed the perfect opportunity and after crunching the numbers and getting restoration quotes we knew the ceiling price for bids on the day, which wasnt far off laugh

Car is being prepped to be sent to Italy where the work will begin, will update on the project on here and on instagram if people are interested.
Congratulations and another vote for a resto thread

Ferruccio

1,677 posts

91 months

Saturday 30th October
quotequote all
Adam. said:
Ferruccio said:
Some people just don’t do, or just don’t have to do, the “man maths”.

I suspect that the renovation will be more than you say but you end up with a perfect restored car.

The new prototype just done by the factory, was clearly an act of love, by the probably the foremost Lambo collector, though it’s probably worth at least what it cost.
Thanks. I don’t doubt it, if you are fortunate not to have to think about the cost it’s a fantastic thing to plan and do. Though the bidder mentioned his father had figured out a number. Is it cheaper to do in Italy than U.K. or are they more expert over there?


Edited by Adam. on Friday 29th October 22:52
I don’t know the comparative costs UK vs Italy + more cache getting it done by the “right” people in Italy; getting it done by Polo Storico is materially more expensive.

lazylobster

167 posts

98 months

Sunday 31st October
quotequote all
Adam. said:
Apologies for vulgarity (and not asking buyer to confirm) but I wonder how the man maths works on this.

300k plus 200k renovation = gives you a top finished car worth 450-500k? So these projects are more a labour of love than financial sense?

Great someone is putting another Countach back on the road of course.
Not sure from a financial point of view that it is a bad decision. I know of cars non restored that have have sold for sums bigger than this value already. The cars are increasing in value and the end result will be spectacular.

Dinoboy

2,172 posts

189 months

Sunday 31st October
quotequote all
As someone who's restored cars I can say it's a different mindset and doesn't make sense from a purely financial perspective. It's about having a car that's exactly as you wanted it. Like ordering a new one and choosing colours/spec etc.

Mikebentley

3,190 posts

112 months

Sunday 31st October
quotequote all
For the Countach fans.
Whilst waiting for the latest Bond film they showed a trailer for an upcoming film about Gucci. There was a rather splendid Countach in the trailer.

Adam.

22,021 posts

226 months

Sunday 31st October
quotequote all
Dinoboy said:
As someone who's restored cars I can say it's a different mindset and doesn't make sense from a purely financial perspective. It's about having a car that's exactly as you wanted it. Like ordering a new one and choosing colours/spec etc.
Thanks for the insight, as someone lacking the financial means I find the views of those that have done it very interesting.

I get that you can oversee the work so have the assurance of how well work has been done and to what extent, but presumably a nut and bolt restoration generally aims to get the car back to original colour and spec? So not your choice.

For a car like this would a colour and leather colour change from original spec affect the value? (assuming it was a period correct colour and all work was top quality, bare metal resto etc)

Adam.

22,021 posts

226 months

Sunday 31st October
quotequote all
Be interesting to see production numbers by colour for the early 400/500 models, feels like very few were white, red and black whereas most QV and later models were those 3

Jonny TVR

4,104 posts

253 months

Tuesday 2nd November
quotequote all
Its left Iain Tyrrells place and should be with me at 5pm!






Bo_apex

1,531 posts

190 months

Tuesday 2nd November
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
Its left Iain Tyrrells place and should be with me at 5pm!





Lovely !
Daylight should still be out too

AMVSVNick

6,854 posts

134 months

Tuesday 2nd November
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
Its left Iain Tyrrells place and should be with me at 5pm!





Awesome.

I will never forget the day I collected mine from Martin Ingham. Had to drive back down the M6 back to The Midlands, I was petrified.

raymondqv

80 posts

72 months

Tuesday 2nd November
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
Its left Iain Tyrrells place and should be with me at 5pm!

Congrats to this beauty, btw Iain in the background.

I wonder when the Mimran QV arrives there...


Edited by raymondqv on Tuesday 2nd November 14:12

Dinoboy

2,172 posts

189 months

Tuesday 2nd November
quotequote all
Looks stunning! Enjoy!

rat rod

3,228 posts

37 months

Tuesday 2nd November
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
Its left Iain Tyrrells place and should be with me at 5pm!





Exciting times ahead ,even better news the weather lady says dry for the rest of the week, thumbup

Jonny TVR

4,104 posts

253 months

Tuesday 2nd November
quotequote all
It arrived but haven't driven yet. It sounds gorgeous.




Jonny TVR

4,104 posts

253 months

Tuesday 2nd November
quotequote all
How do you get in the front bonnet!!!?

AMVSVNick

6,854 posts

134 months

Tuesday 2nd November
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
How do you get in the front bonnet!!!?
Jonny,

Surely you have the manual? If not you car is totally unoriginal and worthless wink

PS I can’t rememberrolleyes

AMVSVNick

6,854 posts

134 months

Tuesday 2nd November
quotequote all
Jonny TVR said:
How do you get in the front bonnet!!!?
Is there a pull in the glove box scratchchin