Lamborghinis used as Covid-19 shopping trolleys

Lamborghinis used as Covid-19 shopping trolleys

Author
Discussion

Andy-IM

Original Poster:

125 posts

41 months

Wednesday 27th May
quotequote all
On the theme of 'Classics' used as Covid-19 shopping trolleys within the "Classics and Yesterday's Heros" section:

ELB420J off for a bit of much needed exercise cool


rat rod

657 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th May
quotequote all
Andy-IM said:
On the theme of 'Classics' used as Covid-19 shopping trolleys within the "Classics and Yesterday's Heros" section:

ELB420J off for a bit of much needed exercise cool

Having owned several V12 2+2 Ferrari's i have allways had a soft spot for these Jarma's but for some reason have always alluded me. It started when still living with my parents when in my early twenties ,Their house was in the bottom of a valley and my bedroom was in the front of the house.The guy who lived at the top of the valley owned a Jarma and a 246 Dino(later a Jalpa) and would leave his house bang on 7.30 am every weekday morning and would come down the hill in one or the other always on overrun with the exhausts popping and banging then nail the throttle up the other side,probably the most expensive alarm clock you could have, Some years later i was on my way home and caught site of a Jarama going round a roundabout going other way to me,i found myself trying to catch it up and then following it, now going the wrong way from home, Must have had straight pipes as made the other one sound like a Tesla, Sounded like armageddon with flames spitting out on down changes and overrun,did a round trip of 36 miles just to get back to where i was(sad really) . My third encounter was with a bright green one that i stored for a couple of days for a guy called Anthony ,sorry can't remember his surname but he is well know in the club ,He did some work on my Jalpa as he owned 2 himself and a couple of Espada's, From memory he was doing some work on this Jarama and he run out of room, Although it looks quite big i was surprised how small and nimble it felt when Anthony took me out for a quick run. I think these are the most underrated and undervalued Lamborghini's of them all.Just love them.

Edited by rat rod on Thursday 28th May 00:46

Andy-IM

Original Poster:

125 posts

41 months

Thursday 28th May
quotequote all
I assume the green car you mention to be "Kermit the Jarama" who has his own Facebook page! Steve, who owns it now has been very helpful in providing reference information to assist in the restoration of mine.

I deleted the rear mufflers on mine - mostly because the fit of the replacement stainless steel system was that poor I had to remake the majority of it anyway. The resultant sound is er...... distinctive whistle

Indeed they are seriously underrated cars; even in the day the press reviews received were luke warm and I have no idea why. Mine was the car used for the 'Motor' magazine test - some of the negative comments have me scratching my head after driving the same car myself.

rat rod

657 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th May
quotequote all
Andy-IM said:
I assume the green car you mention to be "Kermit the Jarama" who has his own Facebook page! Steve, who owns it now has been very helpful in providing reference information to assist in the restoration of mine.

I deleted the rear mufflers on mine - mostly because the fit of the replacement stainless steel system was that poor I had to remake the majority of it anyway. The resultant sound is er...... distinctive whistle

Indeed they are seriously underrated cars; even in the day the press reviews received were luke warm and I have no idea why. Mine was the car used for the 'Motor' magazine test - some of the negative comments have me scratching my head after driving the same car myself.
That's the one, The colour shouldn't work but it does. Car felt much lighter on it's feet than the equivalent front engine Ferrari of it's day and sounds like a 2nd world war fighter plane coming up the road. I should think that a lot of none car people don't know what it is and are surprised when they see the Lamborghini badge . Rare beast !

P5BNij

6,967 posts

64 months

Thursday 28th May
quotequote all
Love these but have never seen one on the road, only at shows - this one, and the gorgeous Urraco in front of it had me rooted to the spot, I kept coming back to the club stand throughout the day just to gawp at it....




Andy-IM

Original Poster:

125 posts

41 months

Thursday 28th May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Love these but have never seen one on the road, only at shows - this one, and the gorgeous Urraco in front of it had me rooted to the spot, I kept coming back to the club stand throughout the day just to gawp at it....



That's Kermit - Steve has recently redone the whole car and changed the colour in the process. The new colour is probably more in keeping with the original concept for use of the car (everyday use for businessmen). I prefer mine a little more "in yer face".

P5BNij

6,967 posts

64 months

Thursday 28th May
quotequote all
Didn't twig that it was the same car Andy, thanks..... it really was something special to see in the metal.... it was difficult to get any decent photos of it as it was wedged into the corner of the hall...







Edited by P5BNij on Thursday 28th May 14:52

rat rod

657 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Didn't twig that it was the same car Andy, thanks..... it really was something special to see in the metal.... it was difficult to get any decent photos of it as it was wedged into the corner of the hall...







Edited by P5BNij on Thursday 28th May 14:52
Although i liked it in kermit green i absolutely love it in this shade. It reminds me of a 308 GTB i owned in a very similar green, people would come up and say have you had it resprayed, i didn't know Ferrari made green cars , i also had a brown one and a metallic red one,think it was called Rosso Rubino,looked almost pearl pink in certain light, those colours left people confused as well.

P5BNij

6,967 posts

64 months

Friday 29th May
quotequote all
A green 308, now there's a rare treat! Also looks like the same shade as the 'Wheeler Dealers' Urraco.

(There's a metallic green Maserati 3200 for sale on the Sportsmaserati forum with a green leather and alcantara interior, a one off ex-demo car, highly unusual but having seen the photos I really like it).

rat rod

657 posts

23 months

Friday 29th May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
A green 308, now there's a rare treat! Also looks like the same shade as the 'Wheeler Dealers' Urraco.

(There's a metallic green Maserati 3200 for sale on the Sportsmaserati forum with a green leather and alcantara interior, a one off ex-demo car, highly unusual but having seen the photos I really like it).
Ye never seen another one although there are some photo's of GTB's in that colour on images also Brian Classic has a l.h.d one in stock,just seen it in his ad, The official colour on the 1979 Ferrari colour chart is" Verde Metallico Medio" sounds so much more exciting in Italian than the English translation a bit like Quattroporte. Somehow back in the seventies people chose the colour they wanted rather than the Rosso that they are told will be a better selling colour. Trouble is that so many in later life were colour changed to red , hence there were a lot of red Ferrari's around with blue interiors which never looked quite right to me .

P5BNij

6,967 posts

64 months

Saturday 30th May
quotequote all
rat rod said:
P5BNij said:
A green 308, now there's a rare treat! Also looks like the same shade as the 'Wheeler Dealers' Urraco.

(There's a metallic green Maserati 3200 for sale on the Sportsmaserati forum with a green leather and alcantara interior, a one off ex-demo car, highly unusual but having seen the photos I really like it).
Ye never seen another one although there are some photo's of GTB's in that colour on images also Brian Classic has a l.h.d one in stock,just seen it in his ad, The official colour on the 1979 Ferrari colour chart is" Verde Metallico Medio" sounds so much more exciting in Italian than the English translation a bit like Quattroporte. Somehow back in the seventies people chose the colour they wanted rather than the Rosso that they are told will be a better selling colour. Trouble is that so many in later life were colour changed to red , hence there were a lot of red Ferrari's around with blue interiors which never looked quite right to me .
This has been posted by me and others several times on PH but illustrates very well that not all Ferraris left the factory in red....!


rat rod

657 posts

23 months

Saturday 30th May
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
This has been posted by me and others several times on PH but illustrates very well that not all Ferraris left the factory in red....!

Great period photo,thanks for posting,Now to bore you even more ,this got me thinking just how many gt4's have gone though my hands and unless i've forgotten any i counted 9 with only 1 being factory red,others were, Oro Chiaro (Gold) Argento Silver , Azzurro Blue , Blue Chiaro, Bruno, Bianco Polo Park and Giallo Fly Yellow ,the latter 2 colours often got mistaken for a Lotus, One thing is to have your Lotus mistaken for a Ferrari but to have your Ferrari mistaken for a Lotus , 2 had the rare factory rear seat delete,replaced by a luggage platform , Like the Jarama the gt4 was another underrated model with a hard act to follow after the Dino,

Edited by rat rod on Saturday 30th May 21:40

P5BNij

6,967 posts

64 months

Sunday 31st May
quotequote all
You had two with the rear seat delete option...? I read or heard somewhere that only six were ever ordered from new like that!

As much as I lust after the Dino 246GT, the 308GT4 is the one I'd have given half a chance. Or maybe a Urraco..... or a Merak.... or..... etc, etc.... hehe

rat rod

657 posts

23 months

Monday 1st June
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
You had two with the rear seat delete option...? I read or heard somewhere that only six were ever ordered from new like that!

As much as I lust after the Dino 246GT, the 308GT4 is the one I'd have given half a chance. Or maybe a Urraco..... or a Merak.... or..... etc, etc.... hehe
Where do you get all this information from,didn't know there was only 6 made ,maybe worth shouting about now for rarity value but at the time it was no big deal ,most people who bought the GT4 had kids hence the reason for buying one so if anything made it harder to sell.Bought the first seat delete GT4 was in silver from the same guy i bought a gold GT4 from 2 years previous ,They were his daily drivers ,He then replaced the silver GT4 with a blue Mondial 3.2 face lift car which i also bought off him a few years on.WE had a good thing going on which worked for both of us.I know it was a Mondial but the 3.2 and latter 3.4 were another underrated model and i surprised myself by quite liking it.The second seat delete GT4 was blue which i bought from Maranello's Never owned or driven a Urraco but it would seem the 3 litre is the better of the two engines, Did hava a Jalpa which is close i suppose, black on black with a wing ,R.H,D but was bought out of a German Car Museum, Never owned a Merak either but got very close,Got a call from Mike Perry from Portman ,how do you fancy a Maserati Merak,just taken one in p/ex on a Lamboghini ,Never had one so went up to the workshop in Brentford and gave it a drive, Sorry to disappoint but i though it was terrible, It felt slow even when you revved it,made lots of not particularly good noises and didn't seem to go anywhere, The Citroen brakes were on or off,next to no feel but you probably get the hang of them in time. This could have been a bad one feeling tired so apologize to all Merak owners if that was so,It wasn't cheap enough for a project so needless to say i passed on the offer..Our wish lists never seems to shrink as we cross one off and then add three,Wish there was a cure for this dreadful desease we are inflicted with , The bad news is the obsession gets worse the older you get ,well it is in my case.





Edited by rat rod on Monday 1st June 01:03

P5BNij

6,967 posts

64 months

Monday 1st June
quotequote all
The 'rear seat delete' info stuck in my mind when one of them came up for sale about two years ago, it was a red one with a two tone cream & beige interior, I think the asking price was around £45k or so. All these little details about Italian exotics just seem to get absorbed into my grey cells, every now and then I have to let some of it out to make room for the next little snippet...! If I didn't keep spending so much money on books on Alfas, Lambos, Masers, Ferraris, Isos etc I'd have probably bought something really nice by now, well that's what my missus says often enough anyway.

I've not been fortunate enough to have driven any of them but would love to given the chance, I've been reading about them and looking at them since I was about six years old, I'm knocking on fifty five now and it shows no sign of abating. You're right, the obsession gets worse as you get older..... I keep returning to the same books over and over again reading the period road test reports on Urracos, Meraks, Boras, Indys etc and I'm like a kid in a sweet shop. I've sat in a few and had some very enlightening chats with their owners but still yearn to have something special of my own one day.... time and cars in general have moved on but for me these are just as exotic now as they were when I was an impressionable young kid....






rat rod

657 posts

23 months

Tuesday 2nd June
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
The 'rear seat delete' info stuck in my mind when one of them came up for sale about two years ago, it was a red one with a two tone cream & beige interior, I think the asking price was around £45k or so. All these little details about Italian exotics just seem to get absorbed into my grey cells, every now and then I have to let some of it out to make room for the next little snippet...! If I didn't keep spending so much money on books on Alfas, Lambos, Masers, Ferraris, Isos etc I'd have probably bought something really nice by now, well that's what my missus says often enough anyway.

I've not been fortunate enough to have driven any of them but would love to given the chance, I've been reading about them and looking at them since I was about six years old, I'm knocking on fifty five now and it shows no sign of abating. You're right, the obsession gets worse as you get older..... I keep returning to the same books over and over again reading the period road test reports on Urracos, Meraks, Boras, Indys etc and I'm like a kid in a sweet shop. I've sat in a few and had some very enlightening chats with their owners but still yearn to have something special of my own one day.... time and cars in general have moved on but for me these are just as exotic now as they were when I was an impressionable young kid....





You must be my brother from another mother,I can relate to everything you say surrounded by my thousands and i mean thousands of car mags dating back to 1955,I did wonder the other day how much have i spent on these mags,I could have bought another 2/3 cars. My teachers would creep up behind me at school to see whether it was a" Motor Sport " or" Car" magazine hidden in the centre of my textbook, I particularly enjoyed Mel Nicholls articles in" Car" magazine leaving a lasting impression ,probably got him to blame for my obsession , Lucky i got a eclectic taste so equally happy to be driving a old Beetle,Hot Rod or Super Car ,Hopefully with prices becoming back into the real world should give many people chance to get into their dream car or as close to that as possible . I live close to Goodwood so apart from this year i 'm always popping in to see what's going on and one thing i noticed that on super car days the guy who turns up in a Daytona, Miura, Pantera Countach really makes a statement amongst a sea of modern Aventador's, Huracan's and 488 's as good as they are. ,In the early days of Mike Pullen's Carrera Sport track days a lot of owners of Lamborghini's,Ferrari's ect had more passion than money as the cars not being worth any where near todays prices their budgets were low and some of the time had to save up if something serious went wrong. Thank God for Mike Pullen he got alot of people out of trouble though the years including me. If you can put the wife and kids and the odd kidney on ebay ,what ever it takes and go and get that Italian car . Don't tell her i said that punch .

Edited by rat rod on Tuesday 2nd June 03:28

orangeLP400

335 posts

161 months

Tuesday 2nd June
quotequote all

re Rat rod above ....what he said. And also P5BNij above, what he said.

I cannot put my finger on why the older sports cars stir the heart yet more modern cars leave me somewhat indifferent. Maybe the new supercars are too blingy and the olders stuff just have class.

I thought it was an age thing but the trendy fashion and style world seems to agree with us.

Geneva Motor Show or Villa d'Este?

I find it funny that many modern car launches now seem to hone in on the classic car world hoping a bit of history and style will rub off on their latest offering. The one with the numerous logos and lots of holes and ducts and tortured metal.


P5BNij

6,967 posts

64 months

Tuesday 2nd June
quotequote all
rat rod said:
...
You must be my brother from another mother,I can relate to everything you say surrounded by my thousands and i mean thousands of car mags dating back to 1955,I did wonder the other day how much have i spent on these mags,I could have bought another 2/3 cars. My teachers would creep up behind me at school to see whether it was a" Motor Sport " or" Car" magazine hidden in the centre of my textbook, I particularly enjoyed Mel Nicholls articles in" Car" magazine leaving a lasting impression ,probably got him to blame for my obsession , Lucky i got a eclectic taste so equally happy to be driving a old Beetle,Hot Rod or Super Car ,Hopefully with prices becoming back into the real world should give many people chance to get into their dream car or as close to that as possible . I live close to Goodwood so apart from this year i 'm always popping in to see what's going on and one thing i noticed that on super car days the guy who turns up in a Daytona, Miura, Pantera Countach really makes a statement amongst a sea of modern Aventador's, Huracan's and 488 's as good as they are. ,In the early days of Mike Pullen's Carrera Sport track days a lot of owners of Lamborghini's,Ferrari's ect had more passion than money as the cars not being worth any where near todays prices their budgets were low and some of the time had to save up if something serious went wrong. Thank God for Mike Pullen he got alot of people out of trouble though the years including me. If you can put the wife and kids and the odd kidney on ebay ,what ever it takes and go and get that Italian car . Don't tell her i said that punch .

Edited by rat rod on Tuesday 2nd June 03:28
Don't get me wrong - I'd love the experience of buying and owning a new Huracan, everytime I drive past the Lambo dealer next to Fort Dunlop in Brum I always have a sly shuftie in the window at the tempting lime green wedges, but show me a Bora, a Mangusta, a Urraco, a Jarama or an Espada and I go a bit wobbly at the knees. Ian Tyrrell up in Cheshire has a beautiful RHD SIII Espada for sale which he's had for a while, I keep checkign to see if it's still there despite not being bale to afford it. There are several Maserati Indys for sale at the moment, some people think it's a little plain but it still gets the juices flowing for me, it's such a handsome looking car from every angle, but one or two of the period road test reviews described its underpinnings as out of date when it was new. I'd still love to drive one though.

It's just me and the missus, no kids, no mortgage.... need to do something before I get much older though.

I've just ordered another Maserati book from Amazon.... hehe


Edited by P5BNij on Tuesday 2nd June 11:56

rat rod

657 posts

23 months

Tuesday 2nd June
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Don't get me wrong - I'd love the experience of buying and owning a new Huracan, everytime I drive past the Lambo dealer next to Fort Dunlop in Brum I always have a sly shuftie in the window at the tempting lime green wedges, but show me a Bora, a Mangusta, a Urraco, a Jarama or an Espada and I go a bit wobbly at the knees. Ian Tyrrell up in Cheshire has a beautiful RHD SIII Espada for sale which he's had for a while, I keep checkign to see if it's still there despite not being bale to afford it. There are several Maserati Indys for sale at the moment, some people think it's a little plain but it still gets the juices flowing for me, it's such a handsome looking car from every angle, but one or two of the period road test reviews described its underpinnings as out of date when it was new. I'd still love to drive one though.

It's just me and the missus, no kids, no mortgage.... need to do something before I get much older though.

I've just ordered another Maserati book from Amazon.... hehe


Edited by P5BNij on Tuesday 2nd June 11:56
Sounds like you are in a better position than most ,no mortgage,no kids ,you could have a stable of super cars and change compared to raising kids, you don't even need 2+2 seating, You got more passion in your little finger than some actual owners have in their hole body, You deserve to treat yourself and would wonder why i didn't do this sooner , New lifestyle ,new friends with the same interest ,hopefully car shows to go to and show your pride and joy, Most owners of the classic cars are true enthusiasts,they have to be to put up with some of the pitfalls of ownership of the older cars, also the modern super cars are so well engineered and so fast ,I for one would also love a Huracan Performante, in Verde Mantis,best colour if a little overdone now,no super car needs to be any bigger or faster in my opinion. one of each would be perfect ,The modern super car owners seem to fall into two categories ,the genuine car guys or those who wear their Ferrari, Lamborghini or whatever like they wear their Rolex and designer Italian shoes,To be seen in doing several laps around Harrods, they may think they would want a classic because they would look cool but in reality they couldn't put up with their quirks and the way they drive,infact they probably couldn't even drive them and with no power steering,no traction control,no a.b.s would go off on the first serious bend,might even get their Italian shoes dusty walking across the field they just crashed in.

rat rod

657 posts

23 months

Wednesday 3rd June
quotequote all
orangeLP400 said:
re Rat rod above ....what he said. And also P5BNij above, what he said.

I cannot put my finger on why the older sports cars stir the heart yet more modern cars leave me somewhat indifferent. Maybe the new supercars are too blingy and the olders stuff just have class.

I thought it was an age thing but the trendy fashion and style world seems to agree with us.

Geneva Motor Show or Villa d'Este?

I find it funny that many modern car launches now seem to hone in on the classic car world hoping a bit of history and style will rub off on their latest offering. The one with the numerous logos and lots of holes and ducts and tortured metal.
You are so wright, You only got to park a DB5,Dino,any classic Lamborghini or interesting classic in central London and watch a crowd gather,they not only stop but linger over the classic lines,meanwhile a dozen modern super cars go by and nobody notices or cares, Whether cars or clothes the Vintage look is back or for some never went away,To some extent Lord March has helped not only classic cars but the vintage clothing movement by promoting period dress for the Revival. As you said the fashion houses now have models draped over stunning classic cars with the aftershave and perfume adverts now have the hero driving a classic, says more about the person than any modern car can. Who needs a 1000 b.h.p and do we really care if the VSJ beat the GT2 round the Nurburgring by point something of a second. WE may have to thank top male model David Gandy for bringing the classic vintage look not only in fashion but in the use of classic cars to promote it. He will be the first to admit that he basis himself on the 50s and 60's film stars such as Paul Newman,Steve McQueen and Cary Grant , His favourite pastime and hobby is driving his collection of classic cars, XK 120 Roadster,190 SL and 356 Porsche , People like this help promote the the whole scene ,Volvo P1800,not a great car,very heavy and slow ,i owned one some years ago but Roger Moore made it famous like Steve McQueens Bullitt Mustang,Opening scene in the Italian Job in the Alpes with Matt Monro singing "Days Like These" before the Muira went though the tunnel ,all this nostagia to fuel the fire.When i drive the GTB i get smiles and thumbs up compared to the finger or the w----r sign when out in the 430 which makes me think the consensus from the general public is a flash Harry drives a modern super come high performance car and a Gentleman be it a slightly eccentric one drives a classic ,whether it be European,British or American.

Edited by rat rod on Wednesday 3rd June 00:45