Lamborghinis used as Covid-19 shopping trolleys

Lamborghinis used as Covid-19 shopping trolleys

Author
Discussion

rat rod

352 posts

21 months

Tuesday 7th July
quotequote all
Fessia fancier said:
Some fantastic photos there, thanks for posting those.

This thread prompted me to try to find out what happened to my old Espada, which I mentioned was sold to Malaysia. I didn't keep a note of the chassis number because that didn't really matter at that time. However thanks to the power of google I'm pretty sure it was this one.

https://www.jagsclassic.com/product-page/lamborghi...

Which then was re-imported and offered at CCA Auctions in Dec 2019

https://classiccarauctions.co.uk/events/cca-decemb...

It didn't sell. I'm pretty sure it was my old one because the car was said to have been in Malaysia for about 20 years and it also had a little crease in the rear bumper in my old photos,, which seems to be there still. It was orangey red with black seats in my time.

I wonder what happened to the original wheels!
Those Carlos Fandango wheels, First thing they need to do is give Euro Spares a call and treat it to some original wheels ,wont be cheap but will be worth doing. Any desire to buy it back and put it back to it's former glory ?

orangeLP400

326 posts

159 months

Wednesday 8th July
quotequote all

Such great photos and I particularly enjoy the ones that set the social scene or street scenes like those in Monaco. Again, thanks.

P5BNij

5,798 posts

62 months

Wednesday 8th July
quotequote all
Fessia fancier said:
Some fantastic photos there, thanks for posting those.

This thread prompted me to try to find out what happened to my old Espada, which I mentioned was sold to Malaysia. I didn't keep a note of the chassis number because that didn't really matter at that time. However thanks to the power of google I'm pretty sure it was this one.

https://www.jagsclassic.com/product-page/lamborghi...

Which then was re-imported and offered at CCA Auctions in Dec 2019

https://classiccarauctions.co.uk/events/cca-decemb...

It didn't sell. I'm pretty sure it was my old one because the car was said to have been in Malaysia for about 20 years and it also had a little crease in the rear bumper in my old photos,, which seems to be there still. It was orangey red with black seats in my time.

I wonder what happened to the original wheels!
I wonder where it is now.... that red interior is glorious, not sure about the wheels though!

Some more period stuff....

Paris, 25th July 1973...



New York Auto Show 1967....



VB in his prime....







And some more old ads....







An early LP400 was used in these perfume ads...






Ferruccio

1,223 posts

75 months

Wednesday 8th July
quotequote all
I’ve got some of those perfume bottles.
Never seen them before, other than the ones I’ve got!

P5BNij

5,798 posts

62 months

Wednesday 8th July
quotequote all
Bob the Cop said:
Nice photo of Jilly. She was seen to grace the Lamborghini stand in 1971/72 and 73.
She was Jilly Gosden at this time, she later dated and married Brian Johnson (who drove an E type Jag).
I had the pleasure of transporting her on a couple of occassions and also ferried Brian's Jag about for him.

The Paul McCartney Espada was also a car I had the pleasure of driving.

Great photos. Please keep them coming.
Didn't know that about Jilly, thanks Bob.

And how on earth did McCartney manage to drive his Espada with those moonboots on...?!!

Just found these lurking in the hard drive - press releases from the '67 Earls Court Motor Show....





Monaco, 1972....







Monaco, 1980....



Earls Court Motor Show, 1969....



Shooting the opening sequence of 'The Italian Job' up in the Alps with Miura #3586, July 1968....



Geneva, May 1976....



Monaco, late '70s....



I need another lie down.... spin

P5BNij

5,798 posts

62 months

Wednesday 8th July
quotequote all
Ferruccio said:
I’ve got some of those perfume bottles.
Never seen them before, other than the ones I’ve got!
As if by magic....!



More period ads etc - this early Urraco one is a tad optimistic, it was well over another year before the first production cars were ready for sale.... in fact the car featured is the Turin Motor Show car from '71 and one of the first five prototypes....








Fessia fancier

470 posts

139 months

Wednesday 8th July
quotequote all
rat rod said:
Fessia fancier said:
Some fantastic photos there, thanks for posting those.

This thread prompted me to try to find out what happened to my old Espada, which I mentioned was sold to Malaysia. I didn't keep a note of the chassis number because that didn't really matter at that time. However thanks to the power of google I'm pretty sure it was this one.

https://www.jagsclassic.com/product-page/lamborghi...

Which then was re-imported and offered at CCA Auctions in Dec 2019

https://classiccarauctions.co.uk/events/cca-decemb...

It didn't sell. I'm pretty sure it was my old one because the car was said to have been in Malaysia for about 20 years and it also had a little crease in the rear bumper in my old photos,, which seems to be there still. It was orangey red with black seats in my time.

I wonder what happened to the original wheels!
Those Carlos Fandango wheels, First thing they need to do is give Euro Spares a call and treat it to some original wheels ,wont be cheap but will be worth doing. Any desire to buy it back and put it back to it's former glory ?
I'd love to. It would be great to use to take the family to special occasions/car events although that is one of the uses of our integrale. But although I would love to buy it and fix it up I have a lack of space to put it and time to fix it or get it fixed. Not to mention the £50-60k estimated price and goodness knows how much to improve it and get it in good nick.

A little bit of me also wonders whether too much time has passed, in the sense that when I got it, it was a 23 year old car, or thereabouts, and how it is a 48 year old car. I have the same question about the Fulvia, which was probably the car I was most enthusiastic about over the years. But mainly it is lack of time, money and space!

It seems from the auction photos to be chassis 8872 in case anyone becomes interested.

More super photos from P5B, thanks for posting them.

rat rod

352 posts

21 months

Wednesday 8th July
quotequote all
Fessia fancier said:
rat rod said:
Fessia fancier said:
Some fantastic photos there, thanks for posting those.

This thread prompted me to try to find out what happened to my old Espada, which I mentioned was sold to Malaysia. I didn't keep a note of the chassis number because that didn't really matter at that time. However thanks to the power of google I'm pretty sure it was this one.

https://www.jagsclassic.com/product-page/lamborghi...

Which then was re-imported and offered at CCA Auctions in Dec 2019

https://classiccarauctions.co.uk/events/cca-decemb...

It didn't sell. I'm pretty sure it was my old one because the car was said to have been in Malaysia for about 20 years and it also had a little crease in the rear bumper in my old photos,, which seems to be there still. It was orangey red with black seats in my time.

I wonder what happened to the original wheels!
Those Carlos Fandango wheels, First thing they need to do is give Euro Spares a call and treat it to some original wheels ,wont be cheap but will be worth doing. Any desire to buy it back and put it back to it's former glory ?
I'd love to. It would be great to use to take the family to special occasions/car events although that is one of the uses of our integrale. But although I would love to buy it and fix it up I have a lack of space to put it and time to fix it or get it fixed. Not to mention the £50-60k estimated price and goodness knows how much to improve it and get it in good nick.

A little bit of me also wonders whether too much time has passed, in the sense that when I got it, it was a 23 year old car, or thereabouts, and how it is a 48 year old car. I have the same question about the Fulvia, which was probably the car I was most enthusiastic about over the years. But mainly it is lack of time, money and space!

It seems from the auction photos to be chassis 8872 in case anyone becomes interested.

More super photos from P5B, thanks for posting them.
Sounds like you have got older and wiser . at the moment it's someone else's problem not yours, sorry for the negativity but as you said the car was younger and so was you and may not be what you remember. The Espada is quite a large heavy car and l think if i had the choice of taking the family out for the day it would be the Lancia every time.The trouble with having to many classic cars besides the usual expense is which one to take out ,so individually they get used less . Sometimes like going back with a ex girlfriend or ex wife you remember the good times then realise the reason why she ended up being your ex .

Bob the Cop

73 posts

40 months

Wednesday 8th July
quotequote all
P5B......................Great photos,

Have you come across an advert from 1973 featuring the UK demo Urraco and Martini? I would love to see it.

The italian Car centre advert from 1971 featuring the forthcoming Urraco was good to see. I am currently working with the man behind that advert on the story of the early days of Lamborghini in the Uk.

Andy's Jarama ELB420J was originally owned by the importer at that time. He was replaced in a typical Italian business move in 1971, which is a fascinating story. The Jarama was passed on to the new importer who sent it back to the factory to be refreshed.

I hope to get something put together this year so keep the photos coming they are helping to jog the memory.

P5BNij

5,798 posts

62 months

Thursday 9th July
quotequote all
Bob the Cop said:
P5B......................Great photos,

Have you come across an advert from 1973 featuring the UK demo Urraco and Martini? I would love to see it.

The italian Car centre advert from 1971 featuring the forthcoming Urraco was good to see. I am currently working with the man behind that advert on the story of the early days of Lamborghini in the Uk.

Andy's Jarama ELB420J was originally owned by the importer at that time. He was replaced in a typical Italian business move in 1971, which is a fascinating story. The Jarama was passed on to the new importer who sent it back to the factory to be refreshed.

I hope to get something put together this year so keep the photos coming they are helping to jog the memory.
Thanks Bob, glad you're enjoying the photos. Begged, borrowed and gratuitously purloined from the internet, if anything interesting pops up I right click and save it, such is my affliction for all things Italian and exotic. I know of the Martini advert, haven't we discussed it before on PH, or was was it with someone else... ? I wish I could remember. I've scoured youtube looking for it, there's a whole raft of Martini TV and press ads on there but alas no sign of the Urraco one. I dug out my Kyosho 1/18th scale Urraco from the bottom of the wardrobe yesterday and stared at it for a few minutes, wishing it were a real one.... it was and still is an astonishingly good looking car, beautifully packaged for what it is and what it was meant to do. Such a pity that all the trouble and strife at the factory amongst other things meant that the 500 a year they wanted to build didn't come to fruition. I know everyone and his dog wants a Miura, but I'd easily settle for an Espada or a Urraco. Up until a few days ago there was a lovely UK registered LHD one in silver for sale on carandclassic.com, this one in fact, it looks to me like a US spec car that's been imported into the UK at some point in its life, do you know it....?





And another shot of the fourth prototype (the yellow one) at Earls Court in October '71....



Edited by P5BNij on Thursday 9th July 13:45


Edited by P5BNij on Thursday 9th July 13:49

Andy-IM

Original Poster:

113 posts

39 months

Thursday 9th July
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
And another shot of the fourth prototype (the yellow one) at Earls Court in October '71....



Edited by P5BNij on Thursday 9th July 13:45


Edited by P5BNij on Thursday 9th July 13:49
Also really enjoying this!

Out of quite selfish interest, you don't happen to have anything from the 1970 Earls Court stand do you? The only photo I have of my car there is of very poor quality.

Kind regards Andy

P5BNij

5,798 posts

62 months

Thursday 9th July
quotequote all
Thanks Andy, I was getting a bit worried about taking the thread way off topic, but so long as the pics are being enjoyed I'll carry on.

I'm not sure if I've got anything from the '70 show but I'll have a look, the problem is I'm terrible at 'filing' stuff away with the right info so it might be hiding somewhere with the wrong date or something. Hopefully something might turn up.

Meanwhile some more Urraco stuff - in chronological order, the first prototype (which I like a lot more than the second one) the overall styling of this one played its part in Bertone reworking the design into the Dino 308GT4 a couple of years later.... just like several others it languished in a sorry looking heap at the back of the factory before the Mimran brothers arrived to save them for posterity, but a few small details have changed during the restoration....























From 'Quattroruote' magazine, sometime in 1970 I'd imagine, note Stanzani in the last picture....









Moving onto the second prototype which was much more to Ferruccio's liking from what I've read....







I posted this one earlier but it's just occured to me that it must have been taken before the two prototypes were dumped round the back of the factory, as apart from the lack of wheels they seem to be intact....



And here they are gain some time later along with an Islero and a very sad looking Miura....



More to follow, time for tiffin wink

Edited by P5BNij on Thursday 9th July 16:40

Andy-IM

Original Poster:

113 posts

39 months

Thursday 9th July
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Thanks Andy, I was getting a bit worried about taking the thread way off topic, but so long as the pics are being enjoyed I'll carry on.
We all began as something else clap

I think everyone is enjoying

P5BNij

5,798 posts

62 months

Thursday 9th July
quotequote all
Rightyho then.... wink

Urraco prototype number three became the 'finalised' design from Gandini and Bertone in regard to the actual shape and proportions etc, although there are detail differences between this and the first production car (both inside and out) this one was also the Turin Motor Show Car of 1970 and was finished in time to be featured on the cover of the December 1970 issue of Car magazine as posted earlier, the cover being taken from this photo session in the Emilian countryside.... it has the exterior fuel filler and the 'high' positioned pop up headlamps, it also has the Lamborghiini badge set into the bootlid which only featured on early production P250s....







Discolouration makes it look more red here but it's the same car, the photo was taken at the Turin show...



The orange prototype number 3 and the yellow prototype number 4 from Jean-Francois's Urraco book...



The yellow prototype number four was used in some Bertone press photos then went on display at Earls Court in October '71, and I'm almost certain that it's the car in this pic, taken when it was sent to MIRA outside Nuneaton to meet the same fate as the LP500, note the exterior fuel filler aperture....



Prototype number 5 was the silver car and was used extensively in publicity and very early brochure material, it was also the subject of a road test by Doug Blain for Car magazine in March '72, with Bob Wallace at the wheel they were taking a long sweeping bend on a mountain road at around 80mph when a horizontal linkage at the front gave way and the car came to a grinding halt with the front right wheel tucked up into the wheel arch at 45 degrees....! Like the third and fourth prototypes, it had the higher positioned headlamps but it didn't have the bootlid mounted badge and the fuel filler was moved to the inside of the engine bay....





















The dash area and seats were very different to the production cars which followed....


Fessia fancier

470 posts

139 months

Thursday 9th July
quotequote all
rat rod said:
Sounds like you have got older and wiser . at the moment it's someone else's problem not yours, sorry for the negativity but as you said the car was younger and so was you and may not be what you remember. The Espada is quite a large heavy car and l think if i had the choice of taking the family out for the day it would be the Lancia every time.The trouble with having to many classic cars besides the usual expense is which one to take out ,so individually they get used less . Sometimes like going back with a ex girlfriend or ex wife you remember the good times then realise the reason why she ended up being your ex .
Well I certainly have got older, even if the jury is out on the wiser bit. I guess at the time I sold it, I had just bought my 328 and could not comfortably keep both, and I don't regret that decision. You are right about the less use point. I'd quite often take an old car to work to combine usage with purpose, if you see what I mean, but it looks like it will be six months at least without driving to the office and I've gone from probably 15k miles a year to virtually zero. I appreciate this is a small problem in the scheme of things.
Of course, if I had more space and more funds then a nice Espada would be back on my shopping list!

Fessia fancier

470 posts

139 months

Thursday 9th July
quotequote all
Andy-IM said:
P5BNij said:
Thanks Andy, I was getting a bit worried about taking the thread way off topic, but so long as the pics are being enjoyed I'll carry on.
We all began as something else clap

I think everyone is enjoying
I certainly am :-)

rat rod

352 posts

21 months

Friday 10th July
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Well at least my serial book buying has its uses. One more Richard Crump / Rob de la Rive Box Lamborghini book to come from Amazon and that's it, no more for a while!

A few more pics....

VB's smile says it all....


From a 1974 book, the title of which escapes me....


The fifth prototype Urraco P250 in period, it still has the headlamps set further back than the production cars which followed, this car also appears on the cover of the Osprey book by Jean-Francois Marchet....


At Lake Di Garda, 1976, one of the rare 2-litre P200s....


You were saying one more book and that's it for a while.Hope you didn't see "Miurasv" post tonight reference Simon Kidstons Miura and register book that's just come out. lets make that 2 more books shall we.

rat rod

352 posts

21 months

Friday 10th July
quotequote all
Fessia fancier said:
rat rod said:
Sounds like you have got older and wiser . at the moment it's someone else's problem not yours, sorry for the negativity but as you said the car was younger and so was you and may not be what you remember. The Espada is quite a large heavy car and l think if i had the choice of taking the family out for the day it would be the Lancia every time.The trouble with having to many classic cars besides the usual expense is which one to take out ,so individually they get used less . Sometimes like going back with a ex girlfriend or ex wife you remember the good times then realise the reason why she ended up being your ex .
Well I certainly have got older, even if the jury is out on the wiser bit. I guess at the time I sold it, I had just bought my 328 and could not comfortably keep both, and I don't regret that decision. You are right about the less use point. I'd quite often take an old car to work to combine usage with purpose, if you see what I mean, but it looks like it will be six months at least without driving to the office and I've gone from probably 15k miles a year to virtually zero. I appreciate this is a small problem in the scheme of things.
Of course, if I had more space and more funds then a nice Espada would be back on my shopping list!
Six months,not sure if that's good or bad.My bother is working from home and finds he's doing more hours than when he's at the office with proper working hours to keep to .Hopefully you may find the time to drive your fleet even if it's only round the block.Great choice replacing the Espada with the 328,easier to maintain ,more compact and easier to store and probably more fun to drive.You have the perfect pair,one for the track and one for that road trip. There is a guy on the "Motor Sport review of Ferrari 308 Vetroresina" thread ,His P. H name is "Ettore" and he also has a 76 308 GTB and a 89 328GTS and CGT2 also had the same two Ferrari's at the same time,not sure whether he meant now or in the past so would seem your in good company. You may or may not have already watched this You Tube on the "Ferrari Online" channel with Colette featuring the best 308 GTB Vetroresina i have seen ,funny enough in the same blue i sold to John Swift ,well worth a look if you haven't already.

P5BNij

5,798 posts

62 months

Friday 10th July
quotequote all
rat rod said:
P5BNij said:
Well at least my serial book buying has its uses. One more Richard Crump / Rob de la Rive Box Lamborghini book to come from Amazon and that's it, no more for a while!
You were saying one more book and that's it for a while.Hope you didn't see "Miurasv" post tonight reference Simon Kidstons Miura and register book that's just come out. lets make that 2 more books shall we.
Holy mother of God what are you trying to do to me rat rod...?!!! So damned pricey, but so damned tempting, both of them..... the most I've ever paid for a Lambo book is £200 for the big Bob Wallace thingy that came out a year or two ago... but... but... but.... does anyone want to buy one of my Minis....? hehe

rat rod

352 posts

21 months

Friday 10th July
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
rat rod said:
P5BNij said:
Well at least my serial book buying has its uses. One more Richard Crump / Rob de la Rive Box Lamborghini book to come from Amazon and that's it, no more for a while!
You were saying one more book and that's it for a while.Hope you didn't see "Miurasv" post tonight reference Simon Kidstons Miura and register book that's just come out. lets make that 2 more books shall we.
Holy mother of God what are you trying to do to me rat rod...?!!! So damned pricey, but so damned tempting, both of them..... the most I've ever paid for a Lambo book is £200 for the big Bob Wallace thingy that came out a year or two ago... but... but... but.... does anyone want to buy one of my Minis....? hehe
How much ? . Anything to do with Simon Kidston will be expensive and some more.Sorry !