Merc Amg GTC

Merc Amg GTC

Author
Discussion

Zippee

Original Poster:

12,706 posts

206 months

Thursday 11th November
quotequote all
Ok, I know this isn't a supercar but theres a few owners on here so I'm just after some thoughts on a particular car - https://www.sytner.co.uk/mercedes-benz/car-search/13139566-dohc-mercedes-benz-amg-gt-gt-c-2dr-auto/
I currently drive a 66 plate GTS coupe in selenite grey. Love the car but I do get pangs for roofless motoring hence looking at the GTC.
I've been offered a 17ishk cost to change on the above, which includes 2 years AMG warranty (worth 3k in itself).
Just after thoughts on how much better the GTC really is over the GTS - is it 15k better?
The GTC is a year newer and half the miles of my car.

I'm just in such a quandry (I know - first world problems) as to which way to go here.

Edited by Zippee on Thursday 11th November 20:52

HIS LM

1,176 posts

231 months

Thursday 11th November
quotequote all
The GTC will offer more smiles per mile if you can comfortably afford the cost to change why wouldn't you ?

LeroyLoser

621 posts

10 months

Thursday 11th November
quotequote all
It depends, link not working so cant see the one you’re looking at, but..

I’d say, if you’re looking at track days then its worth it as you have the wider track, wheels and electric limited slip diff from the GTR, bigger brakes than the gts (i think) and some were optioned with CC brakes, the engine is identical to the GTR bar the mapping whereas the gts has slight differences (injectors for one i think) so when you need more oopmph for the track, 650hp is easily achievable, put the cup 2s on it as well (same size wheels as GTR) and you have a GTR without the gnarly wing.

If track days arent your thing then it becomes an exercise in aesthetics only, the Pan grille and wider rear with the extra gills / vents and a less forgiving ride, same springs as gtr but softer damping, its ok but the gts is the better cruiser.

Is it worth it? if tracking then yes, if not tracking it, then no imo. post 2018 cars had carplay i think, makes a bit more difference.. but the interior is not as noce i dont think.

2 years in on mine and did an epic Spa trip monday

Day 1. 10hr drive to hotel
Day 2. Race round spa managed a 2:46
Day 3. 10hr drive home

Enjoyed the best days racing ive ever done and both 10hr drives either side perfectly acceptable.

As you know, they are incredible cars, my move may be toward the GTR as ive bought a Vanquish cabrio, probably in spring… Selenite grey with cream interior, rare combo.

Edited by LeroyLoser on Thursday 11th November 20:56

Zippee

Original Poster:

12,706 posts

206 months

Thursday 11th November
quotequote all
LeroyLoser said:
It depends, link not working so cant see the one you’re looking at, but..

I’d say, if you’re looking at track days then its worth it as you have the wider track, wheels and electric limited slip diff from the GTR, bigger brakes than the gts (i think) and some were optioned with CC brakes, the engine is identical to the GTR bar the mapping whereas the gts has slight differences (injectors for one i think) so when you need more oopmph for the track, 650hp is easily achievable, put the cup 2s on it as well (same size wheels as GTR) and you have a GTR without the gnarly wing.

If track days arent your thing then it becomes an exercise in aesthetics only, the Pan grille and wider rear with the extra gills / vents and a less forgiving ride, same springs as gtr but softer damping, its ok but the gts is the better cruiser.

Is it worth it? if tracking then yes, if not tracking it, then no imo. post 2018 cars had carplay i think, makes a bit more difference.. but the interior is not as noce i dont think.
Thank you smile kind of where I am at present because I don't track my car.

LeroyLoser

621 posts

10 months

Thursday 11th November
quotequote all
Zippee said:
Thank you smile kind of where I am at present because I don't track my car.
yeah, think it’d be tough as your actual ride comfort would be worse, when i was buying, alot of the GTCs were on the market because customers had chopped them in as the ride was too harsh, as much as i love the car i dont think id want it as a road only car, we have an S63 cabrio for the comfier stuff.

Have you thought about the last of the SL63s? they have a lot of road presence, pop on the pan grill and they look pretty epic, folding hard top & i personally think, the better 5.5tt engine, just a thought..

andy43

7,531 posts

226 months

Friday 12th November
quotequote all
Looks like this one
https://www.sytner.co.uk/car-search/13139566-dohc-...
Nice spec inside - pepper red and black with red stitching and performance seats - not that you can tell from the crap pictures…
I’m constantly looking at the GT market but I’m more interested in the GTS coupe I think. Really love the coupe shape. The idea of the GTC rear wheel steer and soft top and that wide body also appeals but I’ve read similar reports about the harder ride. So far all I’ve done is sit in a stationary GTR and rev the engine (apart from watching YouTube) but I think I’m already sold hehe
A very TVR feel to it, except less cable ties included with the AMG.
There’s a cheap GTC roadster at 82k in Liverpool - cheapest on AT and seems to have stuck around for a while - perf seats on that one too.

Zippee

Original Poster:

12,706 posts

206 months

Friday 12th November
quotequote all
That's the 1.
1 owner, 6.6k miles and 2 year AMG warranty.
I think I like the white, that's my other niggle.
My current GTS coupe is selenite grey with the same colour interior.
There's is a perfect spec one, 18 plate, matt selenite with black/Alcantara, distronic, dynamic mounts/ shocks and 9k miles at John Holland in Sheffield where I bought my car from. It's had 6 owners though which is too manky for me.

mako111

51 posts

184 months

Friday 12th November
quotequote all
I didn’t find the suspension harsh in my GTC Coupe and I ran it as a daily for almost a year. In comfort mode I’d describe it as comfortable but firm. Given the nature of the car I’d say it’s ability to go from quiet and comfortable to loud racer is remarkable. I’ve driven a GTS when they first came out and I don’t think there was much difference in the ride for me. 2019 got the facelift including the new interior but also got the GPF (not sure what impact that had on the engine note but worth comparing).

What I think is the biggest upgrade is the rear wheel steer which makes the car feel so much more agile than it should for the size. The extra power and stopping power (mine had the CC brakes) we’re also nice upgrades. I prefer the look of the wider stance in the C and R too.

LeroyLoser

621 posts

10 months

Saturday 13th November
quotequote all
Its a fair summary, as a single car it does track or road almost better than anything else ive had or driven, bettered only by McLaren.

Ride is like most things & about your perspective (inc. your partners) and sensitivity to comfort (age / health)

I drove 30 hours over 3 days in mine (2000 km) at the beginning of the week and it was perfectly fine but it was a hedonistic trip, at no point did i think ‘if only i had the GTS’ , it would have made the road side of the trip better to a degree but not enough that i’d have swapped, i did however wish for our S63 cabrio on the way back, like i say, depends on your perspective.

yes the GTC is more harsh but that difference might mean sweet fa to you if you have other more comfortable cars or your young enough / healthy enough to shrug off that harder ride, its not a massive difference tbh, i personally think the extra performance and looks are worth it.

Funny, as i’m thinking of going more hardcore to the GTR as ive added a V12S cabrio for the side the gtc used to do which mens i can go more track focussed, 9mths merc warranty remaining with a cream interior (hard to find)

If you’re interested then let me know.


Zippee

Original Poster:

12,706 posts

206 months

Saturday 13th November
quotequote all
LeroyLoser said:
Its a fair summary, as a single car it does track or road almost better than anything else ive had or driven, bettered only by McLaren.

Ride is like most things & about your perspective (inc. your partners) and sensitivity to comfort (age / health)

I drove 30 hours over 3 days in mine (2000 km) at the beginning of the week and it was perfectly fine but it was a hedonistic trip, at no point did i think ‘if only i had the GTS’ , it would have made the road side of the trip better to a degree but not enough that i’d have swapped, i did however wish for our S63 cabrio on the way back, like i say, depends on your perspective.

yes the GTC is more harsh but that difference might mean sweet fa to you if you have other more comfortable cars or your young enough / healthy enough to shrug off that harder ride, its not a massive difference tbh, i personally think the extra performance and looks are worth it.

Funny, as i’m thinking of going more hardcore to the GTR as ive added a V12S cabrio for the side the gtc used to do which mens i can go more track focussed, 9mths merc warranty remaining with a cream interior (hard to find)

If you’re interested then let me know.

Certainly be interested in hearing a bit more about your car. Age, miles, previous owners etc and obviously what you would be looking for?

m3jappa

5,418 posts

190 months

Saturday 13th November
quotequote all
That looks a lovely car and cost to change seems very sensible, especially as warranty included. Actually seems cheap when there are earlier gts cars with much higher miles asking 70-75k.

I am sure i read that the gtc and gtr were actually more compliant than the gts. I find the gts very crashy tbh and am seriously considering changing the springs to the RENNtech adjustables but am concerned about the amount of bits that need to be removed and then the geometry sounds a pain as well with the shims. Worried it wont get put back together properly.

Ideally for me id love a gtc coupe but they seem very rare, just a perfect combo of the wider track and arches, all the bits that matter but without the massive rear wing which i dont love tbh.

And to echo the tvr comment they really are like a modern tvr, just significantly better with no cable ties and wood screws.

I was told by a few people id regret selling my tuscan, the gts is all electronic and boring.

Well i can categorically say 2 things:

1. I could drive my tuscan much closer to the limit that this. yes i was used to the tuscan and this is new to me but this feels like i could get in more trouble quicker. The tvr needed to be revved and the gears were longer, this has power all through the range with shorter gears which are instant to change through.

2. with traction off this is just as if not more savage than my tuscan was. The low down instant torque could be very dangerous, the wheels spin on command and sideways is just a mere dig away hehe

Zippee

Original Poster:

12,706 posts

206 months

Saturday 13th November
quotequote all
White one now purchased....

LeroyLoser

621 posts

10 months

Saturday 13th November
quotequote all
thumbup

A different colour for sure, be good to see some pics.

Edited by LeroyLoser on Saturday 13th November 17:06

andy43

7,531 posts

226 months

Saturday 13th November
quotequote all
Ha, nice one! One day….

Zippee

Original Poster:

12,706 posts

206 months

Saturday 13th November
quotequote all
andy43 said:
Ha, nice one! One day….
They'll soon have a mint selenite gts coupe premium with black/ red pepper interior coming in for sale wink

andy43

7,531 posts

226 months

Saturday 13th November
quotequote all
Zippee said:
andy43 said:
Ha, nice one! One day….
They'll soon have a mint selenite gts coupe premium with black/ red pepper interior coming in for sale wink
Steady hehe
Current Maserati will be going in spring I think.

Zippee

Original Poster:

12,706 posts

206 months

Tuesday 23rd November
quotequote all
m3jappa said:
That looks a lovely car and cost to change seems very sensible, especially as warranty included. Actually seems cheap when there are earlier gts cars with much higher miles asking 70-75k.

I am sure i read that the gtc and gtr were actually more compliant than the gts. I find the gts very crashy tbh and am seriously considering changing the springs to the RENNtech adjustables but am concerned about the amount of bits that need to be removed and then the geometry sounds a pain as well with the shims. Worried it wont get put back together properly.

Ideally for me id love a gtc coupe but they seem very rare, just a perfect combo of the wider track and arches, all the bits that matter but without the massive rear wing which i dont love tbh.

And to echo the tvr comment they really are like a modern tvr, just significantly better with no cable ties and wood screws.

I was told by a few people id regret selling my tuscan, the gts is all electronic and boring.

Well i can categorically say 2 things:

1. I could drive my tuscan much closer to the limit that this. yes i was used to the tuscan and this is new to me but this feels like i could get in more trouble quicker. The tvr needed to be revved and the gears were longer, this has power all through the range with shorter gears which are instant to change through.

2. with traction off this is just as if not more savage than my tuscan was. The low down instant torque could be very dangerous, the wheels spin on command and sideways is just a mere dig away hehe
Well - I picked her up on Saturday and haven't stopped grinning since. The white actually looks so nice when the suns out and I'm glad I decided to go with it - though the wife says she likes the car but 'it's white' - not sure the colour is her thing.
Just picking up on a couple of your comments above;
The GTC is so much more planted than the GTS. I hadn't really considered my old one to be crashy until properly driving the GTC but the new one is so much more confidence inspiring and goes round corners with so much more control.
I love the looks, the wider stance and pan-Am grill give it more road presence.
I also came from TVR, the last one being a 4.3 T350 - the merc in 100% a German TVR. Yes it has a few more driving aids but you absolutely need them. It makes the TVR feel antiquated, flimsy and cheap and I mean that compared to all models.

The GTC is noticeably quicker than the S as well. I haven't found it uncomfortable, it's a little stiffer but rides beautifully and no different to many cars of its class.

Looking forward now to just getting out and driving smile


andy43

7,531 posts

226 months

Tuesday 23rd November
quotequote all
It's alright I s'pose wink

LeroyLoser

621 posts

10 months

Wednesday 24th November
quotequote all
Glad you’re enjoying the move, the cette automotive evm is a good mod to, dms extract good grunt from them to wink