Residuals, Man Maths and a 540C

Residuals, Man Maths and a 540C

Author
Discussion

fridaypassion

6,774 posts

212 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
AMG GTR is a nice thing but not really a driver's car

Penrhyn

429 posts

82 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Justin220 said

“Don't get me wrong, I am still very enthusiastic about it. It's the best car I've owned. But the aftersales from McLaren HQ is pretty terrible given how common this issue is. They'll just scare away current owners, and potential ones! “

Well l was considering a Mclaren as my last proper fast car, but now well frankly they have shafted justin220 l’m going to look elsewhere.

I wonder do Mclaren read these, well if they do, you have just lost another customer OWN GOAL.

Edited by Penrhyn on Thursday 24th November 15:35

Davyt

70 posts

2 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Penrhyn said:
Justin220 said

Don't get me wrong, I am still very enthusiastic about it. It's the best car I've owned. But the aftersales from McLaren HQ is pretty terrible given how common this issue is. They'll just scare away current owners, and potential ones!

Well l was considering a Mclaren as my last proper fast car, but now well frankly they have shafted justin220 l’m going to look elsewhere.

I wonder do Mclaren read these, well if they do, you have just lost another customer OWN GOAL.
Not that bad ,, just make sure you buy a brand new car with 3 years manufacturers warranty, 10 years corrosion warranty & 5 years paint warranty, keep it 3 years then sell it on, no worries at all really,, if on the other hand your like most hard working people and can’t stretch to a new car your going to get proper shafted and be utterly regretful of buying the damn thing at some point in ownership..

Yes is making me think twice tbh, just got my head round the mechanical niggles, expensive warranties etc etc but this paint thing would really wind me up big style..

Streetbeat

433 posts

60 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
AMG GTR is a nice thing but not really a driver's car
How do you define a drivers car?

Wheelspinning

450 posts

14 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Davyt said:
Penrhyn said:
Justin220 said

Don't get me wrong, I am still very enthusiastic about it. It's the best car I've owned. But the aftersales from McLaren HQ is pretty terrible given how common this issue is. They'll just scare away current owners, and potential ones!

Well l was considering a Mclaren as my last proper fast car, but now well frankly they have shafted justin220 l’m going to look elsewhere.

I wonder do Mclaren read these, well if they do, you have just lost another customer OWN GOAL.
Not that bad ,, just make sure you buy a brand new car with 3 years manufacturers warranty, 10 years corrosion warranty & 5 years paint warranty, keep it 3 years then sell it on, no worries at all really,, if on the other hand your like most hard working people and can’t stretch to a new car your going to get proper shafted and be utterly regretful of buying the damn thing at some point in ownership..

Yes is making me think twice tbh, just got my head round the mechanical niggles, expensive warranties etc etc but this paint thing would really wind me up big style..
You can overthink anything and find reasons no to buy something.

Prior to my mac ownership commencing a good few years and cars ago, I almost decided against a McLaren after Internet overload of reasons not to.

Thankfully I decided 'what the hell' and just got on with it; just fantastic cars with no real issues in my ownership.

After a long spell of no Porsches, I have a chain of Porsches coming next year namely a T followed by a GTS cab then a turbo s cab.

Whist excited by their arrival, there isn't anything that eclipses the McLaren; the looks, the drive and the fact its a bona fida supercar wether its a 12c or a Senna and its as engaging to pootle along as it is scaring yourself.

Life is too short, so if you want it go for it.

Justin has already said that even with issues he is keeping it as its just so good.

I have had no issues in the last 18mths and decided not to pay £5k for the warranty and instead keep that in the bank and self insure.

If my car develops the reaction issues on the panel, I would have to weigh up the estimated costs, if there was any goodwill and then decide if its actually worth getting my paint guy whom is outstanding just rectify and paint the whole car with the paint available in the US that is near to dammit as the McLaren paint assuming that is still out there...



davek_964

7,937 posts

159 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
The (official) paint shop that quoted for my car give a lifetime guarantee on their work. But refuse to give this against bubbling happening again.

I know of one owner who had his entire car repainted at a non-McLaren paint shop with non-McLaren paint. He suffered bubbling a couple of years later.

I am not in a position to offer possible reasons why this bubbling occurs (although I've seen plenty of theories) - but based on the evidence I do have, I am unconvinced that you can stop it happening again, regardless of whether the panel is repaired and painted by an official paint shop with official paint, an independent paint shop with official or unofficial paint, or MichelAngelo with Sistine Chapel ceiling paint.

Wheelspinning

450 posts

14 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
The (official) paint shop that quoted for my car give a lifetime guarantee on their work. But refuse to give this against bubbling happening again.

I know of one owner who had his entire car repainted at a non-McLaren paint shop with non-McLaren paint. He suffered bubbling a couple of years later.

I am not in a position to offer possible reasons why this bubbling occurs (although I've seen plenty of theories) - but based on the evidence I do have, I am unconvinced that you can stop it happening again, regardless of whether the panel is repaired and painted by an official paint shop with official paint, an independent paint shop with official or unofficial paint, or MichelAngelo with Sistine Chapel ceiling paint.
I would still run with that option rather pay the £6k Justin got quoted for just one panel ( goodwill shall not always apply ) and have the option of being able to have it matched very easily and at a reasonable labour rate if it failed again, or was scratched etc.

When you are subjected to the outrageous price per litre for volcano or heritage colours, it makes sense for any cosmetic freshening up.

As previously mentioned, the almost identical paint is available in America.

PinkHouse

21 posts

41 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
DRZ said:
McLaren have got the GT marketing all wrong which I think leads to questions like this. Having driven anything and everything you might even remotely see as a competitor, from DB11 to Huracan, including the 720S and most recently a short drive of the new Artura, the GT is a fantastic thing. Far better to drive than a DB11, way more luggage room than a Huracan (and way better steering) but definitely less engine drama than either. Have a read of my owners thread and, most importantly, go drive one. For me personally there is absolutely no way I'd swap mine for a GT R. McLaren are very accommodating when it comes to acquainting you with their cars so you'll be able to make your mind up first hand smile
Thanks very informative, I certainly will be - there's a nice Namaka Blue one at McLaren London I'm going to have a look at tomorrow so watch this space!

Davyt

70 posts

2 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Wheelspinning said:
You can overthink anything and find reasons no to buy something.

Prior to my mac ownership commencing a good few years and cars ago, I almost decided against a McLaren after Internet overload of reasons not to.

Thankfully I decided 'what the hell' and just got on with it; just fantastic cars with no real issues in my ownership.

After a long spell of no Porsches, I have a chain of Porsches coming next year namely a T followed by a GTS cab then a turbo s cab.

Whist excited by their arrival, there isn't anything that eclipses the McLaren; the looks, the drive and the fact its a bona fida supercar wether its a 12c or a Senna and its as engaging to pootle along as it is scaring yourself.

Life is too short, so if you want it go for it.

Justin has already said that even with issues he is keeping it as its just so good.

I have had no issues in the last 18mths and decided not to pay £5k for the warranty and instead keep that in the bank and self insure.

If my car develops the reaction issues on the panel, I would have to weigh up the estimated costs, if there was any goodwill and then decide if its actually worth getting my paint guy whom is outstanding just rectify and paint the whole car with the paint available in the US that is near to dammit as the McLaren paint assuming that is still out there...



Not sure what this “Life’s to Short” bullst is about, life isn’t to short at all, plenty of time to make the right decisions especially when your committing a lot of money into something ( especially a car ) I have learnt to Never rush into this type of commitment, do your homework and make sure your not biting off more than you can chew, this is from someone who bought a Lotus Esprit Turbo back in the 80’s and lived to tell the tale ….

davek_964

7,937 posts

159 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Wheelspinning said:
When you are subjected to the outrageous price per litre for volcano or heritage colours, it makes sense for any cosmetic freshening up.
I see this comment about McLaren paint cost quite often, but is it really justified?

The quote for my front end - both wings, and bonnet (albeit the inside, not the outside) from an official body shop with VO paint was £1,500 + vat. OK - probably more than I'd pay at an independent paint shop to get a Ford Fiesta done - but seemed quite reasonable to me.
And as I've said before - seems to be less than I've seen people quote for similar work from Thorney who use a non McLaren paint shop and non McLaren paint.

12pack

1,416 posts

152 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Just to add some balance to this conversation, I have a 2016 650 with no signs of bubbling.

Matty3

1,069 posts

68 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
12pack said:
Just to add some balance to this conversation, I have a 2016 650 with no signs of bubbling.
Likewise my 2018 570 spider has not had any paintwork issues.

Purso

801 posts

86 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
I have had my 675 since the beginning of the year and it has been awesome!!!

Crazy4557

615 posts

178 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Davyt said:
Wheelspinning said:
You can overthink anything and find reasons no to buy something.

Prior to my mac ownership commencing a good few years and cars ago, I almost decided against a McLaren after Internet overload of reasons not to.

Thankfully I decided 'what the hell' and just got on with it; just fantastic cars with no real issues in my ownership.

After a long spell of no Porsches, I have a chain of Porsches coming next year namely a T followed by a GTS cab then a turbo s cab.

Whist excited by their arrival, there isn't anything that eclipses the McLaren; the looks, the drive and the fact its a bona fida supercar wether its a 12c or a Senna and its as engaging to pootle along as it is scaring yourself.

Life is too short, so if you want it go for it.

Justin has already said that even with issues he is keeping it as its just so good.

I have had no issues in the last 18mths and decided not to pay £5k for the warranty and instead keep that in the bank and self insure.

If my car develops the reaction issues on the panel, I would have to weigh up the estimated costs, if there was any goodwill and then decide if its actually worth getting my paint guy whom is outstanding just rectify and paint the whole car with the paint available in the US that is near to dammit as the McLaren paint assuming that is still out there...



Not sure what this “Life’s to Short” bullst is about, life isn’t to short at all, plenty of time to make the right decisions especially when your committing a lot of money into something ( especially a car ) I have learnt to Never rush into this type of commitment, do your homework and make sure your not biting off more than you can chew, this is from someone who bought a Lotus Esprit Turbo back in the 80’s and lived to tell the tale ….
Oh dear, I've got a 600LT and recently bought a barn find Turbo Esprit, I need to be sectioned for sure, utter madness on my behalf but I've got a big grin on my face, I'll need the optimism to get through the upcoming nightmares. laugh

Davyt

70 posts

2 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Crazy4557 said:
Oh dear, I've got a 600LT and recently bought a barn find Turbo Esprit, I need to be sectioned for sure, utter madness on my behalf but I've got a big grin on my face, I'll need the optimism to get through the upcoming nightmares. laugh
I think there’s more potential issues with some of these Cough cough “ modern cars”, had my Essex Blue 2 years , put a clutch in it , a reverse gear cable and a ss back box, I was doomed according to everyone when I bought it but tbh it was not a bad experience at all, plus it was a daily driver. Think it was just over 4 year old when I bought it,,

Wheelspinning

450 posts

14 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Crazy4557 said:
Davyt said:
Wheelspinning said:
You can overthink anything and find reasons no to buy something.

Prior to my mac ownership commencing a good few years and cars ago, I almost decided against a McLaren after Internet overload of reasons not to.

Thankfully I decided 'what the hell' and just got on with it; just fantastic cars with no real issues in my ownership.

After a long spell of no Porsches, I have a chain of Porsches coming next year namely a T followed by a GTS cab then a turbo s cab.

Whist excited by their arrival, there isn't anything that eclipses the McLaren; the looks, the drive and the fact its a bona fida supercar wether its a 12c or a Senna and its as engaging to pootle along as it is scaring yourself.

Life is too short, so if you want it go for it.

Justin has already said that even with issues he is keeping it as its just so good.

I have had no issues in the last 18mths and decided not to pay £5k for the warranty and instead keep that in the bank and self insure.

If my car develops the reaction issues on the panel, I would have to weigh up the estimated costs, if there was any goodwill and then decide if its actually worth getting my paint guy whom is outstanding just rectify and paint the whole car with the paint available in the US that is near to dammit as the McLaren paint assuming that is still out there...



Not sure what this “Life’s to Short” bullst is about, life isn’t to short at all, plenty of time to make the right decisions especially when your committing a lot of money into something ( especially a car ) I have learnt to Never rush into this type of commitment, do your homework and make sure your not biting off more than you can chew, this is from someone who bought a Lotus Esprit Turbo back in the 80’s and lived to tell the tale ….
Oh dear, I've got a 600LT and recently bought a barn find Turbo Esprit, I need to be sectioned for sure, utter madness on my behalf but I've got a big grin on my face, I'll need the optimism to get through the upcoming nightmares. laugh
Jeez...your living up to your username...buying a car instead of telling people why your not buying a car...utter crazy.
beer

Crazy4557

615 posts

178 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Davyt said:
I think there’s more potential issues with some of these Cough cough “ modern cars”, had my Essex Blue 2 years , put a clutch in it , a reverse gear cable and a ss back box, I was doomed according to everyone when I bought it but tbh it was not a bad experience at all, plus it was a daily driver. Think it was just over 4 year old when I bought it,,
My car is a 92 High Wing model that's been untouched for 20 years. I fear it could be a nightmare, cars like these and McLarens need regular use and maintenance to keep on top of niggles.
The Lotus is going to a specialist for an engine rebuild and other specialist work whilst the easy refurb bits are being done by us.
Hoping to have it back on the road in 2023.

Wheelspinning

450 posts

14 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
I see this comment about McLaren paint cost quite often, but is it really justified?

The quote for my front end - both wings, and bonnet (albeit the inside, not the outside) from an official body shop with VO paint was £1,500 + vat. OK - probably more than I'd pay at an independent paint shop to get a Ford Fiesta done - but seemed quite reasonable to me.
And as I've said before - seems to be less than I've seen people quote for similar work from Thorney who use a non McLaren paint shop and non McLaren paint.
For me its a justified comment; getting the 2 bumper 'cheeks' repainted at the McLaren paintshop in a volcano colour cost over £900, with the paint being around £450 for half a ltr.

As a footnote it was a perfect match, where some have doubts volcano panels can be colour matched to an adjacent panel.

RSbandit

1,979 posts

116 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
Wheelspinning said:
For me its a justified comment; getting the 2 bumper 'cheeks' repainted at the McLaren paintshop in a volcano colour cost over £900, with the paint being around £450 for half a ltr.

As a footnote it was a perfect match, where some have doubts volcano panels can be colour matched to an adjacent panel.
Just to clarify you had bubbling and they repaired it before a respray?

fridaypassion

6,774 posts

212 months

Thursday 24th November
quotequote all
I had a further chat with the painter today that's doing the McLaren repaint I asked him what he thought of the inability of McLaren to paint the cars. Painting Ali is no issue for him he said that the factory cars don't have enough paint not he edge parts hence the areas get chips and just corrode because there isn't enough protection on them in the form of paint.