McLaren Glasgow

McLaren Glasgow

Author
Discussion

355spiderguy

Original Poster:

458 posts

115 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
Had my 1st visit to McLaren Glasgow today to drop the car in for a service.

We were made to feel extremely welcome by the fantastic team through there of Scott, David and the top man Lee.

We got shown all around the fantastic premises including the spotless workshops and got to view other McLarens that were in for servicing and pre/after trackday checks which amazingly included 4 Sennas and an all carbon P1....thats over 10% of the worlds Sennas in one place!

Also got to meet and have a blether with a really lucky guy and his nephew from Aberdeen seeing the unveiling and collection of his stunning orange 720 Spider...deffo going to have to let Lee talk me into one of them in the future.

Great stock of cars including a very, very special, heavily MSO spec'd 600LT spider in the showroom.

Mega impressed with the set up and also very surprised to find out that they keep up to date with forum posts so any genuine grumbles are certainly taken on board so anything that can be done at dealer level to improve service and customer relations shall be acted if possible.

All in all very impressed and would recomend.
thumbup

Matty3

243 posts

28 months

Wednesday 14th August
quotequote all
Great to hear - I deal with the Parks (same owner) at McLeeds - they are absolutely great to deal with and go the extra mile to be helpful - can't be faulted smile

355spiderguy

Original Poster:

458 posts

115 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Went back yesterday to collect the car.

I gave our oldest the afternoon off so he could come and participate in the 'gawkfest' which is McLaren Glasgow!

The cars kicking about once again nothing short of spectacular.

P1 still there for its service along with 3 Sennas but this time accompanied by a 675LT Spider Carbon Series...somewhere around 25 of these were made....just stunning...take a look at the carbon weave bow

The P1 is a full carbon version also.




Once again, the team were fantastic, especially Scott whom looked after me pricewise and took care of some non-warranty issues as a fantastic goodwill gesture. Wee things like that make the huge difference.

We then went in and had a great blether with the workshop team and spoke to the guys that actually worked on my car so i could get the full lowdown on what they thought of it and what they think of McLarens and the range...they all seem total petrolheads and huge McLaren fans and not just as its their employer. Funnily enough, to a man, their favourite McLaren to work on, have in the workshop and generally overall is the 650, and it is also the car that has the least issues and usually only see them in for services.

I have a very, very small oil leak somewhere at the top of the engine that it is going back in as a warranty issue, but they had another 650 spider that by chance had the very same issue in all stripped down to rectify, so it was great to see the work involved and the attention to detail involved to remedy something that.

Upon collection, it actually looked liked my car had been detailed..not just a quick clean. Well chuffed with that.

If your up this way and your McLaren requires a service, if you can manage, i would defo recommend dropping it off and courtesy car route to allow for meeting the whole team rather than using the free collection and return service they offer.

Upon leaving, pulling out off McLaren onto a hectic 3 lane road by a roundabout with roadworks was easy as the cars just parted way with big smiles and thumps up letting us out, and just at that the sun came out for us and we managed to get the roof down for the 100mile journey home...great way to end the week.

All in all, we had a great experience at McLaren Glasgow.

thumbup

justin220

4,099 posts

148 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Mclaren Glasgow are superb, I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about them.

I've just got my one delivered back this week, Scott was brilliant throughout. Haven't had the chance to actually drive it myself yet!

355spiderguy

Original Poster:

458 posts

115 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Justin, you will have to keep an eye out for the chap that's brought a stunning new orange 720 Spider up to your way... really nice lad and its also his 1st McLaren coming from an BMW i8.

Great to hear Scott looked after you also....look forward to you updating your thread.

On that note, i mentioned about tyres whilst in the workshop as i just fitted a set of P-Zeros all round and that i had wished that i maybe should of fitted the Michelin PS4s...the guys in there warned me that they have found that the profile is just slightly larger and have encountered rubbing within the arches...maybe speak to Scott before you commit to Michelins for the lowdown.



thumbup

MAC 720S

451 posts

91 months

Saturday
quotequote all
355spiderguy said:
On that note, i mentioned about tyres whilst in the workshop as i just fitted a set of P-Zeros all round and that i had wished that i maybe should of fitted the Michelin PS4s...the guys in there warned me that they have found that the profile is just slightly larger and have encountered rubbing within the arches...maybe speak to Scott before you commit to Michelins for the lowdown.
thumbup
I will be replacing the P-Zeros with the Michelins. General concensus within the MOC UK is that the PS4's are much better.

355spiderguy

Original Poster:

458 posts

115 months

Saturday
quotequote all
MAC 720S said:
I will be replacing the P-Zeros with the Michelins. General concensus within the MOC UK is that the PS4's are much better.
Yup...exactly what i heard.

Just make dead sure about the potential rubbing issues.

I do recall when i replaced the p-zeros on the last Ferrari with Michelin supersports the shoulder seemed huge compared to the Pirelli...no rubbing that i noticed though.

I have always thought Pirellis were crap.

The mac has seemed so utterly planted during 'spirited' driving it seems to me that i would have to be driving wayyy beyond my capabilities for it to lose grip, so i was happy enough to stay with the MC rated tyres in this instance.

Maybe the mac flatters the Pirellis day to day use.

I cannot comment about on track though.

Edited to add that i also have a Mercedes Benz V250 since new that came with 245 45 19 pirellis as standard...they were also total crap in the rain and 'crabbed' horrifically when slow speed turning due to ridgity of tyrewall...i just replaced them this week when it was also in for its service with Conti sport contact 6 even though they still had plenty life in them.

No crabbing now and much nicer ride.

Its been a rubbish week for servicing stuff...banghead


Edited by 355spiderguy on Saturday 17th August 15:39

LotusJas

821 posts

175 months

Saturday
quotequote all
I've driven Macs on P Zero, Corsa and Trofeo.

I didn't like the P Zeros on 720S, but they were ok on less powerful models. No problem with Corsa or higher.

I have Corsa on my 720S.

I've not tried a Mac with Michelins though.

justin220

4,099 posts

148 months

Yesterday (10:09)
quotequote all
355spiderguy said:
Justin, you will have to keep an eye out for the chap that's brought a stunning new orange 720 Spider up to your way... really nice lad and its also his 1st McLaren coming from an BMW i8.

Great to hear Scott looked after you also....look forward to you updating your thread.

On that note, i mentioned about tyres whilst in the workshop as i just fitted a set of P-Zeros all round and that i had wished that i maybe should of fitted the Michelin PS4s...the guys in there warned me that they have found that the profile is just slightly larger and have encountered rubbing within the arches...maybe speak to Scott before you commit to Michelins for the lowdown.



thumbup
Pretty sure I know him, but haven't seen him in ages. Going by his number plate I'm sure it's him.



355spiderguy

Original Poster:

458 posts

115 months

Yesterday (10:49)
quotequote all
justin220 said:
Pretty sure I know him, but haven't seen him in ages. Going by his number plate I'm sure it's him.
It was still on a '19' plate when he left the showroom...he looked a weeee bit nervous driving it around to the exit....it is very tight for space at there...