Living with a McLaren 650s Spider as an (almost) daily

Living with a McLaren 650s Spider as an (almost) daily

Author
Discussion

davek_964

Original Poster:

5,866 posts

120 months

Monday 26th August
quotequote all
Well, I did go for a drive - my favourite route, which is usually ~100 miles but in this case was just over 50 because they'd closed a road and the diversion signs took me back to the start of the diversion.....It was the best drive I've had in the car though - I've got used to manual gear changes and the way the car behaves a bit more already so it was a good chance to really see what it could do.

Sadly, on the first part of the best road - I was half a dozen cars back from a very big horse lorry. It took a few miles, but eventually I did get past - and since that had been going slowly and keeping the traffic behind it, it meant I had a pretty clear run.

The car was amazing - the steering is so precise, and it really does inspire confidence. On one of the bends, I thought I was going very slightly too fast - not an "I'm going to end up in the hedge" fast, but definitely a bit quicker than I should be - but slightly increasing the turn in, and the car tightened up instantly.

The car really was superb and I really enjoyed it. This time, I'm not sure I would have been smiling more if I'd been using the Ferrari (in fact, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have got past the horse box) - which is not to say the Ferrari is going anywhere. But it did begin to show me just how good the 650 can be.

On the way back, the lack of sleep for the past few nights really did kick in - stuck it in auto / normal / normal and it's suddenly such a nice relaxing car to drive.

At one point, I thought even the stereo sounded better - however, I seem to be having an issue with it - both radio and USB flash drive. Sometimes it seems to play fine, but often I keep getting gaps of a second or two in the sound. It's pretty annoying.

Also not sure about the oil level check. I checked it on Saturday when I got home - obviously the oil level should be fine having collected it that day - it was green / OK, but was a few blocks below the line on the level display which made me wonder if it was slightly low. However - my driveway isn't completely flat so I didn't add any oil.

Tested it again on the way home in Tesco car park - and all blocks were filled, and it's telling me it's overfilled! Obviously it was a spirited drive - but I'd been driving pretty slowly for about 15 mins.
So not sure whether I believe the oil reading.

Still very glad I bought it - the more I use it, the more it impresses me.

jeremyc

17,724 posts

229 months

Monday 26th August
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
Also not sure about the oil level check.
Look at Thorney Motorsport's advice on the engine and video on checking oil levels. smile

davek_964

Original Poster:

5,866 posts

120 months

Monday 26th August
quotequote all
jeremyc said:
Thanks - that's what I did, although my oil temp was slightly over 100 which might explain why it said it was over filled. I'll check it again tomorrow before going to the dealer.

jamieo

162 posts

157 months

Monday 26th August
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
jeremyc said:
Thanks - that's what I did, although my oil temp was slightly over 100 which might explain why it said it was over filled. I'll check it again tomorrow before going to the dealer.
Worth checking regularly as inconsistent reading.

justin220

4,139 posts

149 months

Monday 26th August
quotequote all
I think it'll grow slowly on you. They really have a massive breadth of ability. A proper do everything car.

Once you get a bit more used to the performance etc, it'll be interesting to see what you think of the 360

355spiderguy

506 posts

116 months

Monday 26th August
quotequote all
The 650 is certainly no slouch...results from the Auto express 'race the runway' 2014...

crimbo

1,263 posts

173 months

Tuesday 27th August
quotequote all
How wide is your garage inside?

davek_964

Original Poster:

5,866 posts

120 months

Tuesday 27th August
quotequote all
crimbo said:
How wide is your garage inside?
About 2340mm inside, which is too narrow to get the doors open. Even if it wasn't - because I kept my 360, it's better to keep that in the garage as an occasional car rather than the 650 which I plan to use much more often.

justin220 said:
I think it'll grow slowly on you. They really have a massive breadth of ability. A proper do everything car.

Once you get a bit more used to the performance etc, it'll be interesting to see what you think of the 360
Yes, I'm interested to see that myself. At the moment, I'm still glad I kept the 360 - but years ago, I bought a 911 turbo and kept my older 911. Eventually it became clear I'd stopped using the older 911 so it's possible that will happen with the 360. At the moment, I don't think it will - but we'll see.

davek_964

Original Poster:

5,866 posts

120 months

Thursday 29th August
quotequote all
Today, I think I've hit my first serious fault.

I've mentioned on another thread that I had an annoying issue with the (music) sound briefly cutting out for a second or two at a time. Somebody suggested that it may be because speed warnings were enabled on the sat nav, but with the navigation volume turned right down. That was the case, so probably is the cause - however, to prove that I needed to put a destination into the sat nav and drive around the block.

Reversing off my drive, the steering felt very odd - quite jerky, and before I got properly onto the road I got a fairly horrible alerting sound and a warning on the dash - didn't have my glasses on but I believe it said 'POC failure, stop engine immediately'. Pulled back onto the drive and stopped the car.
Started it a few seconds later and it was error free (and isn't showing anything on the error screen). No idea what 'POC' is - can't find it with a search - buy given how odd the steering felt I guess it might be related to that.

A bit disappointing that a proper serious fault has occurred so soon. I didn't have my phone on me but will see if it happens again and will get a picture of the error message if it does.

Edited by davek_964 on Thursday 29th August 07:01

IMI A

6,871 posts

146 months

Thursday 29th August
quotequote all
Those sort of glitches are something you just have get used to living with. If when you switch off and then on again goes away and never comes back job done mate. Even a new 720s has them from time to time although nice to hear so many out there no with no issues whatsoever.

I know different cars but it will be a very difficult choice between 720s and 991.2 GT3 if I ever decide to take the plunge and buy anew car over next few years. 720s is so much more car for your money!

MAC 720S

523 posts

92 months

Thursday 29th August
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
Today, I think I've hit my first serious fault.

I've mentioned on another thread that I had an annoying issue with the (music) sound briefly cutting out for a second or two at a time. Somebody suggested that it may be because speed warnings were enabled on the sat nav, but with the navigation volume turned right down. That was the case, so probably is the cause - however, to prove that I needed to put a destination into the sat nav and drive around the block.

Reversing off my drive, the steering felt very odd - quite jerky, and before I got properly onto the road I got a fairly horrible alerting sound and a warning on the dash - didn't have my glasses on but I believe it said 'POC failure, stop engine immediately'. Pulled back onto the drive and stopped the car.
Started it a few seconds later and it was error free (and isn't showing anything on the error screen). No idea what 'POC' is - can't find it with a search - buy given how odd the steering felt I guess it might be related to that.

A bit disappointing that a proper serious fault has occurred so soon. I didn't have my phone on me but will see if it happens again and will get a picture of the error message if it does.

Edited by davek_964 on Thursday 29th August 07:01
I have had two power steering failures in the 720S. The car has been in for some work to be done, including a software update which should hopefully address the issue. I think a lot of faults are not really faults, they are over sensitive sensors with very fine margin for error.

Don’t forget that you have a fall-back position to reject the vehicle within 30 days from point of sale for serious faults if the supplying dealer is unable to fix them. The time in the dealership for repair is added to the 30 days. It would be diligent to put in writing all issues you have experienced and send to the dealership so there is an audit trail.

davek_964

Original Poster:

5,866 posts

120 months

Thursday 29th August
quotequote all
MAC 720S said:
I have had two power steering failures in the 720S. The car has been in for some work to be done, including a software update which should hopefully address the issue. I think a lot of faults are not really faults, they are over sensitive sensors with very fine margin for error.

Don’t forget that you have a fall-back position to reject the vehicle within 30 days from point of sale for serious faults if the supplying dealer is unable to fix them. The time in the dealership for repair is added to the 30 days. It would be diligent to put in writing all issues you have experienced and send to the dealership so there is an audit trail.
I've been mailing the dealer and they've been very helpful so far. I mailed them about the issue this morning, but obviously it's too early for them to answer yet.
So far, I'm still happy with the car - and the warranty means I'm not too worried anyway, although I will be very unhappy if the car does have regular faults.
Once the service department confirm today that the error message doesn't mean the engine is about to self destruct, I plan to go on a long drive today and really see how the car behaves.

MAC 720S

523 posts

92 months

Thursday 29th August
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
I've been mailing the dealer and they've been very helpful so far. I mailed them about the issue this morning, but obviously it's too early for them to answer yet.
So far, I'm still happy with the car - and the warranty means I'm not too worried anyway, although I will be very unhappy if the car does have regular faults.
Once the service department confirm today that the error message doesn't mean the engine is about to self destruct, I plan to go on a long drive today and really see how the car behaves.
The concerning bit for me with the power steering failures I had, is that the steering wheel wouldn’t move. One of the failures occurred when I was moving at slow speed, pulling away from a petrol pump. If that were to happen at higher speeds........

Anyway, the software update seems to have fixed the issue, but will know soon enough if I end up in a hedge.

MDL111

3,738 posts

122 months

Thursday 29th August
quotequote all
Not a McLaren, but stuff that lights up one or more warning lights and then disappears once I turn off the car/disconnect the battery happens on a regular basis on the FF - I figure that is one of the joys of buying a relatively modern - i.e. lots of sensors - non-German car smile
I have 2 warning lights that come on and stay on regularly since I bought the car 4 years and 60k km ago - hasn't self-destructed so far ...


IMI A

6,871 posts

146 months

Thursday 29th August
quotequote all
MDL111 said:
Not a McLaren, but stuff that lights up one or more warning lights and then disappears once I turn off the car/disconnect the battery happens on a regular basis on the FF - I figure that is one of the joys of buying a relatively modern - i.e. lots of sensors - non-German car smile
I have 2 warning lights that come on and stay on regularly since I bought the car 4 years and 60k km ago - hasn't self-destructed so far ...
Yep annoying. I think a lot of it has to do with how much you drive them. Battery always needs to be kept charged in my view. Those guys that use their cars like they stole em have very little problems from what I see.

Ferruccio

888 posts

64 months

Thursday 29th August
quotequote all
A mate of mine has a long haul commercial pilot as a neighbour.
He was flying to HK and his mate was in the cockpit of the 747, so he invited him in for the takeoff from LHR (this was pre 9/11)
As they are moving off down the runaway, Graham, sitting at the back in the cockpit, notices that one of the warning lights goes off.
Engine 4, oil pressure.
They take off and everything is fine.
After a few minutes Graham says, “Look, I’m sure that you’ve noticed, but Engine 4, oil pressure?”
With that the the pilot flips up the warning light cover, pulls out the bulb and throws in over his shoulder.
He explains that it’s often the warning light rather than the underlying problem.
It’s a whole host of aggravation and bureaucracy to go back.
And they would be absolutely fine on three engines anyway.
They duly land safely in HK

This is all fine, until it goes wrong.

I bought a Lambo off the concessionaire after a chap had ignored the cat warning light.
The bits of the disintegrated cat got sucked into the engine. New engine required. He had to sell.
I got a car with a brand new engine off a distressed seller because he ignored a warning light.

PompeyReece

579 posts

34 months

Thursday 29th August
quotequote all
MDL111 said:
Not a McLaren, but stuff that lights up one or more warning lights and then disappears once I turn off the car/disconnect the battery happens on a regular basis on the FF - I figure that is one of the joys of buying a relatively modern - i.e. lots of sensors - non-German car smile
I have 2 warning lights that come on and stay on regularly since I bought the car 4 years and 60k km ago - hasn't self-destructed so far ...
I have similar on my Audi R8 - very occasionally the oil sensor warning light comes on - turn the engine off, restart, warning light goes away!

MDL111

3,738 posts

122 months

Thursday 29th August
quotequote all
IMI A said:
MDL111 said:
Not a McLaren, but stuff that lights up one or more warning lights and then disappears once I turn off the car/disconnect the battery happens on a regular basis on the FF - I figure that is one of the joys of buying a relatively modern - i.e. lots of sensors - non-German car smile
I have 2 warning lights that come on and stay on regularly since I bought the car 4 years and 60k km ago - hasn't self-destructed so far ...
Yep annoying. I think a lot of it has to do with how much you drive them. Battery always needs to be kept charged in my view. Those guys that use their cars like they stole em have very little problems from what I see.
the way I treat it is:
"yellow warning light" - ignore
"red warning light" - stop and call assist to get the car (only happened once, gearbox had packed it in)


JerryDXB

180 posts

44 months

Thursday 29th August
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
Today, I think I've hit my first serious fault.

I've mentioned on another thread that I had an annoying issue with the (music) sound briefly cutting out for a second or two at a time. Somebody suggested that it may be because speed warnings were enabled on the sat nav, but with the navigation volume turned right down. That was the case, so probably is the cause - however, to prove that I needed to put a destination into the sat nav and drive around the block.

Reversing off my drive, the steering felt very odd - quite jerky, and before I got properly onto the road I got a fairly horrible alerting sound and a warning on the dash - didn't have my glasses on but I believe it said 'POC failure, stop engine immediately'. Pulled back onto the drive and stopped the car.
Started it a few seconds later and it was error free (and isn't showing anything on the error screen). No idea what 'POC' is - can't find it with a search - buy given how odd the steering felt I guess it might be related to that.

A bit disappointing that a proper serious fault has occurred so soon. I didn't have my phone on me but will see if it happens again and will get a picture of the error message if it does.

Edited by davek_964 on Thursday 29th August 07:01
More likely “PCC failure”? Which is Proactive Chasis Control (I believe). If it’s a one off then just ignore it, if it starts to happen regularly then it’s likely to be one of the sensors associated with the suspension/dampers. I ignored it until it got to the point where I could trigger the alarm every time I turned right at more than 60 kph and then it was back to the dealer. In typical McLaren fashion the fix was 4 replacement dampers rather than a new sensor. I’m aware of others who have had the same issue.

macdeb

7,360 posts

200 months

Thursday 29th August
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
As requested, a couple more pics.







WOW! Just gorgeous, good for you. Keep us updated on how you get on driving